Pick Your Pac-Man

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pick Your Pac-Man

Namco Bandai is looking for your input on a Pac-Man redesign.

While the classic Pac-Man and ghost sprites are iconic in their own right, the franchise's artwork hasn't enjoyed the same acclaim. Perhaps because the Pac-Man sprit is so abstract - he's basically a genderless, ravenous pie chart come to think of it - seeing him with legs, boots, eyebrows and, if you ever watched the cartoon series, a fedora, always seemed kind of weird. Some iterations were more popular than others, and these new designs featured in a survey on the franchise's official Facebook page all draw from different periods in the character's history.

The survey asks users to pick out designs for an as-of-yet unannounced Pac-Man title.

A looks very similar to the 3D renders of Pac-Man used during the PlayStation era. B's thickened limbs and solid black eyes hark back to the designs that adorned the original arcade cabinets. C seems to pull from the 3D-animated TV series set to air in 2013. Personally, I'm partial to D, with its sharp lines and faded "retro" color work.

The survey then goes on to ask what platform you like to play casual games on, as well as the usual questions about age and gender.

Did you vote? If so, which did you pick? It's an opinion poll, so there are no right answers, but I would like to add that every answer that isn't D is wrong.

Source: Facebook

Before I even read the article, just reading the title, I looked at the picture, and knew it was D I'd vote for.

Read the last line for the article proper just now, can I get a fist bump Grey?

Err, all the Pacmans in those pictures have legs - so they're all wrong. So I didn't vote.

"Hey kids! Which bastardisation of an iconic video game character is the least shit?"

It's a draw.

Ok, ok, to be serious for a second: why not make the game and have all four options (and a fifth, proper one...) as customisable texture packs? Seems the way forward to me.

C. I like that one the most.

XandNobody:
Before I even read the article, just reading the title, I looked at the picture, and knew it was D I'd vote for.

Same thing here, the stylized ghosts actually look like a threat. I also like the simplistic design making it closer to how I imagined it when I played the original. The others just look far to crowded or just plain ugly. I'm looking at you, C! So, D it is for me as well.

I prefer B's Pac-Man, but yeah, overall D is my favourite.

XandNobody:

While I like all the designs, both A and C dont really sit well with me. Must be the eyes, no, definetly the eyes.
Tis a tie between B or D, for I really like the looks of both of them.

No Fedora? No Deal!
And on anything but the WiiU

Grey Carter:
C seems to pull from the 3D-animated TV series set to air in 2013.

Well I look forward to seeing the fruits of their labors.

if it's going to be a 2D game then D is fine, but if it's going to be a 3D title then D doen't make sense as it just seems flat, and out of place, but C actually seems to have a good blend of the 2D quality without being to Sonic-3D-y

D B C A.

I'm torn between C and D. A is too 1989, and B is too 1979.

Grey Carter:
C seems to pull from the 3D-animated TV series set to air in 2013.

...thanks, Grey, now my brain is crying. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY.

I really like B. I don't know why...perhaps it reminds me of the Turbo-Grafx game.

I think C has the best Pac-Man. B or D for the ghosts.

@The last sentence: But there is no option D for gender!

Seriously, though, D is the best by far. It's the only one where the ghosts look remotely threatening.

I personally prefer D. Not entirely loving it, but it's the best of the three.

I have to go with B. Sorry but the LONG legs on D don't do it for me at all. A is my second choice. C is like the art style I would see on a 90's cartoon, I don't see it doing well today.

So yeah B. Short enough legs like he was. Very simple design with no additions to his boots or gloves. And while a mean expression on his mouth a simple smile would actually make him look a lot better.

I'm for C, with D in a close second.

C just has more expressive faces, and I like that.

Pac-man from B and ghost from D, all in the style of D.
So I picked D, but those legs are kinda annoying.

Harker067:
D B C A.

This man speaks the truth. D and B both have things I like about them that are reminiscent of the older artwork, but they both also slightly annoy me. C and A are horrifying crimes against all things Pac-Man though, so that seems about right overall.

I do like the way D manages to modernize the original look a bit while still staying somewhat true to it, but I can't help thinking "Jhonen Vasquez" when I look at the ghosts and "gotta go fast" when I see those limbs. Heh.

Anything but A would be fine...

D reminds me of Ghost Trick for some reason, so I'm more drawn to that one, followed by B for being the 'truest' to Pacman
C has the wrong eyes...

meh out of the four, in this order

B D C A

D annoys me a bi7t with all it's damn pointy edges, i like the roundedness of B

They all look awful to me.

Not enough detail, or stubble.

Nalgas D. Lemur:

Harker067:
D B C A.

This man speaks the truth. D and B both have things I like about them that are reminiscent of the older artwork, but they both also slightly annoy me. C and A are horrifying crimes against all things Pac-Man though, so that seems about right overall.

I do like the way D manages to modernize the original look a bit while still staying somewhat true to it, but I can't help thinking "Jhonen Vasquez" when I look at the ghosts and "gotta go fast" when I see those limbs. Heh.

Nice to see other people share my tastes ;p

I guess to expand beyond 4 characters, A and C seem the most... mainstream to me something I would expect to see in a game. A in particular gives me bad vibes of rushed 3d platformer. What I like about D and B is that their styles seem far more unique, different and fresh compared to whats on being made right now.

Hopefully something that will stand out and be taken to the rest of the game. Pacman's something we've seen and probably all played before in one form or another. So if they're going to make another pacman game I hope its something that tries to be different (pacman 2 the new adventures anyone? :P) or at least have some strong twists on the old formulas.

Otherwise I can't help feeling there's little value in milking another game out of the licence. A rejiggered look would at least be a good start to that.

I don't like any of them but if D were c's shade of yellow, I'd go for that.

Grey Carter:

Did you vote? If so, which did you pick? It's an opinion poll, so there are no right answers, but I would like to add that every answer that isn't B is wrong.

FTFY.

I'm old. What can I say.

Also, screw Facebook.

Anything but A. Anything but A.

I wanna say c but maybe the could take the red ghost from there and make it look a little more like d

I'm in the anything but A camp.

They're all pretty interesting.

Liked D because the ghosts look more sinister and the IM A WOMAN ghost is least sexist imo.

I rank them C, B, D, nothing, A.
A looks awful. i like the others, but D's colors aren't bright enough if D had the colors from C it would be higher on my list.

For some reason, C appeal to me. I think it's because of the anime eyes.

Oh god A is ugly. It reminds me of the "MASCOT WITH ATTITUDE!" days.

I can't decide between C and D. I like the art style in C more, but I like how sinister the ghosts look in D, and as someone else pointed out, the pink ghost is the least "LOOK HOW FEMALE I AM" in that one.

Also ever since they started doing the cartoon shit for Pac-man the ghosts are always the bumbling villain/ 3 stooges type, and I think as much distance as I can get from that, the better.

So I voted for D.

I'm partial to B, to be honest. Reminds me a tiny bit of Rude Dog. Which is weird because I never watched that show. D looks like someone failed at Invader Zim creepypasta. A makes me think of too many bad 3D cartoons. C is... meh?

My main concern is that the blue ghost (Inky? Is that you?) looks like he's being sold for a camp gay look. Messing with his "hair", being generally limp-wristed.... But I'm probably reading too far into this.

D's got an awesome minimalism style and so does C to some degree, it kinda makes me think of the art in Panty and Stocking tbqh.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here