Developer Apologizes for Accidentally Threatening Kittens

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Andy of Comix Inc:
Why is there such a furvour over this? You gonna be kitten me. It was just simple humour! People need to start thinking with their brains instead of reacting on gut felines.

That was way better than DVS BSTrD's.

Andy of Comix Inc:
Why is there such a furvour over this? You gonna be kitten me. It was just simple humour! People need to start thinking with their brains instead of reacting on gut felines.

:)))

Serious answer is Kotaku, I thought the Escapist was bad for inflammatory articles but this isn't good and seems to be the source of all the initial complaints. Shame on them for taking a joke out of context and deliberately stirring the pot, no doubt they've got some extra hits at the game's expense.

Me, cynical? Pfft.

Well, I thought it was funny.

But it was such simple humour. People are getting too easily offended these days. In fact it's not even being offended, it's just nothing more than a whine.

Don Reba:

Andy of Comix Inc:

That was way better than DVS BSTrD's.

I am way better than DVS BSTrD.

Probably.

Padwolf:
But it was such simple humour. People are getting too easily offended these days. In fact it's not even being offended, it's just nothing more than a whine.

People are just as easily offended. They just get given the time of day now. Usually when people get offended, we ignore them, cos they're stupid. Nowadays... we're all like ohh look at these people who are offended how offended are you is it very ohh nooo that's tooo much is it all the peoplee who offended theem's fault?!?! No. Stop talking to these people. We've become a society too scared to trample on anyone's toes, and when we do, we make a big fuss about it. It's not a good way to go about things. It means when something said that is actually worth getting upset about, no-one cares cos everyone gets upset about everything. You get to the point where people can, ironically, say whatever the hell they want and get away with it. All because of society's unwillingness to let people say whatever the hell they want and get away with it.

Jesus Christ, people actually got offended at what he said? Bloody hell, some people are highly strung these days.

josemlopes:

Mcoffey:
Weird but I guess the steam community has different joke standards than the rest of the internet.

Side note: If this game has a publisher, why the hell is it on Green Light? That kind of undermines the point, doesn't it?

Being Greenlight is diferent then being Kickstarted, there is no money involved, its just a way to make your game available on Steam.

OT: I guess I now must be offended by that guy from the Serious Sam developers

Yeah, but I thought it was in the same vein as kickstarter, in that it was for indie devs who don't have a publisher to be able to get their game out there and make some revenue. Why can't their pub submit it to steam through traditional means?

Nobody would care if they threatened humans. Somehow though, those horrible, ungrateful, spiteful balls of fur seem to have gained an untouchable status.

Oh for Goodness sakes people need to grow up. This is pathetic. There is no right not to be offended, especially by things that.... aren't ... offensive.

Incidently, since when did cats and dogs become so ridiculously feted? They are cute if you like them but that's about it.

People should really just relax. It's not like they were going to go all Edison on the cats.
On a side note, I went straight to their Greenlight page to vote for them after seeing this.

This was clearly a joke, how did so few people pick up on that...

Normally, I wouldn't really approve of devs saying stupid things. When you speak to the public, wise up with what you say, lest you end up alienating your customers.

In this case, I agree with most of these comments. Not because people are "too sensitive nowadays" (It's alwayys been like this. You're just noticing now), but because this was very clearly a joke. We've heard this joke so many times it's not funny (buy my product and the kitten lives!). Making light of animal cruelty? Seriously? Have you seen what cats can survive from?

Younglings.

Back in my day, we KNEW how to threaten animals to raise sales.

EDIT: stoopid flickr image sharing/escapist block codes

I don't think you guys understand. You can't threaten cats on the internet. Period.

It's not about offense. It's not about taking a joke. It's a cardinal-fucking-sin. It's one of the most powerful thou-shalt-nots.

You DO NOT threaten CATS on the INTERNET. The internet likes cats 1,000x more than it likes people. This is rudimentary stuff.

Threaten babies or young children all you want.

Threaten a kitten ... you are worse than Hitler!

Res Plus:
Oh for Goodness sakes people need to grow up. This is pathetic. There is no right not to be offended, especially by things that.... aren't ... offensive.

Incidently, since when did cats and dogs become so ridiculously feted? They are cute if you like them but that's about it.

Cats and Dogs have been a part of human life for thousands of years, Dogs have nearly always been faithful companions to men and women. Cats have been idolised since the Ancient Egyptians

It was worded in poor taste, and they should get all the punishment they deserve.

"All the punishment they deserve" in this case equates to, "Irritated fans posting irritated messages on the greenlight page, followed by them being forced to say a quick, 'Whoops, my bad, sorry guys'."

Sometimes a gaffe is just a gaffe. You don't get indignant about "The PC Police", you don't demand blood in retribution. The offending party apologizes like an adult, and you move on with your life. Luckily, it looks like THATS WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE. So were all good.

I think all the angry and offended people, be they upset about imaginary kittens, a feminist on Kickstarter or the endings of a certain SF series, must apologise for making the Net a more irritating and exasperating place.

bkd69:
Younglings.

Back in my day, we KNEW how to threaten animals to raise sales.

EDIT: stoopid flickr image sharing/escapist block codes

Curses, beat me to it.

There's nothing wrong with this sort of marketing, as long as it isn't serious.

Are you outraged at the outrage internet? Why give me $5,000 and I will personally travel to somewhere that legally allows it and eat an entire cat.

We'll show those meddling animal lovers whose boss one forkful at a time.

itsthesheppy:
I don't think you guys understand. You can't threaten cats on the internet. Period.

It's not about offense. It's not about taking a joke. It's a cardinal-fucking-sin. It's one of the most powerful thou-shalt-nots.

You DO NOT threaten CATS on the INTERNET. The internet likes cats 1,000x more than it likes people. This is rudimentary stuff.

lukey94:
Threaten babies or young children all you want.

Threaten a kitten ... you are worse than Hitler!

These.

xkcd: CAT PROXIMITY

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cat_proximity.png

'Threatening' cats and kittens on the internet is the equivalent to defaming Mohammed in front of ultra conservative muslims in Pakistan.

Riots in the streets. Deaths on film at 11.

Somethingfake:
Nobody would care if they threatened humans. Somehow though, those horrible, ungrateful, spiteful balls of fur seem to have gained an untouchable status.

Nope. If they threatened human children I'd react the same way. There is a difference -- Child's Play says "The more money you give us, the more we can help the children relieve their pain." If they said "If you don't help us, then children will be in pain!", then that would be bad.

The funny thing is that assuming they're talking about the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), they hardly rescue any animals, so that's not where the donation would be going. The HSUS is mostly a lobbying and legal organization.

lukey94:

Res Plus:

Cats and Dogs have been a part of human life for thousands of years, Dogs have nearly always been faithful companions to men and women. Cats have been idolised since the Ancient Egyptians

Yeah, they have been part of life for thousands of years because they were useful kill rats or guard stuff; even to say cats have been "idolised" since the Ancient Egyptians seems to be going too far as it implies a continous action.

If you picked any period in history and any geographic location or civilisation you'd more likely than not find that dogs and cats weren't worshiped and were simply used and then discarded when not needed anymore.

It's only recently (and especially on the interwebz) these animals have been placed on a ridiculous pedestal, cue this type of knee jerk "rage" when anyone says anything negative or makes a mild joke about animals. It's only recently that large sections of society have routinely spent thousands on medicine, food and "gifts" for animals. All seems a bit out of hand.

Res Plus:
It's only recently (and especially on the interwebz) these animals have been placed on a ridiculous pedestal, cue this type of knee jerk "rage" when anyone says anything negative or makes a mild joke about animals. It's only recently that large sections of society have routinely spent thousands on medicine, food and "gifts" for animals. All seems a bit out of hand.

Here's the difference: threatening harm, like on that National Lampoon magazine cover, is a joke, and is designed to make you laugh. If the joke worked, it will make you want to read more of the comedy contained within the product being sold. This was a marketing stunt to tug at the heartstrings of cat lovers. There's no relationship between the pitch and the product; it's simply an attempt at emotional manipulation. There is a difference, and it didn't work.

We can all agree that 90% of people will actually understand the joke and the other 10% are really too stupid to put basic concepts together.

Unfortunately, that same 10% now has access to e-mail and will flood developers with this nonsense when they were never going to buy the game in the first place. A perfect example of a small group ruining things for everybody else.

UNHchabo:

Res Plus:

Here's the difference: threatening harm, like on that National Lampoon magazine cover, is a joke, and is designed to make you laugh. If the joke worked, it will make you want to read more of the comedy contained within the product being sold. This was a marketing stunt to tug at the heartstrings of cat lovers. There's no relationship between the pitch and the product; it's simply an attempt at emotional manipulation. There is a difference, and it didn't work.

Well, I guess that is one way of looking at it. Personally to call what happened "emotional manipulation" seems rather, well, hysterical to me, as does the response.

Don't fuck around when it comes to kitties

UNHchabo:

Here's the difference: threatening harm, like on that National Lampoon magazine cover, is a joke, and is designed to make you laugh. If the joke worked, it will make you want to read more of the comedy contained within the product being sold

That's exactly what the joke you're complaining about is doing. Yet for some reason you completely miss the humour and attack it as if it's serious when it's patently not. Why?

Xanadu84:
you don't demand blood in retribution. The offending party apologizes like an adult, and you move on with your life. Luckily, it looks like THATS WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE.

Not really, the poor developers are still getting bombarded with hate and calls for people to be fired directly in response to the joke.

GoaThief:
That's exactly what the joke you're complaining about is doing. Yet for some reason you completely miss the humour and attack it as if it's serious when it's patently not. Why?

Read the rest of my post, especially "There's no relationship between the pitch and the product". This is not a comedy game, so this "joke" has no bearing on the content of the game.

Res Plus:
Well, I guess that is one way of looking at it. Personally to call what happened "emotional manipulation" seems rather, well, hysterical to me, as does the response.

To put it another way: what if they said they would donate the $5000 to a charity no matter what, but if they weren't Greenlit, the money would go to the Westboro Baptist Church? Yeah, this is a more extreme example, but in both cases the publisher would be attempting to get people to Greenlight the project based on something other than the merits of the game itself. That's emotional manipulation.

UNHchabo:

Read the rest of my post, especially "There's no relationship between the pitch and the product". This is not a comedy game, so this "joke" has no bearing on the content of the game.

Read the article, I'll quote the especially relevant part for you;

Understand that there is some dark humor in the game and they wanted to play off of that. We love cats! That's why we have them in our game to begin with!

Yes, there is black humour in the game and it's very relevant. I wonder if that issue of National Lampoon featured any more dogs?

jon_sf:
"Jeez, people shouldn't be offended by stuff on the internet, and post negative comments to websites about it. I'm going to go post a negative comment on some website about how I think people are whiny."

+1.
It's this sort of humor that makes me smile a bit and feel some warmth in my cold, dead heart.

I'm glad this offended people, and I hope it stops that donation.

I am, of course, kidding. Insert implication meme by Tommy Lee Jones here.

Mcoffey:

josemlopes:

Mcoffey:
Weird but I guess the steam community has different joke standards than the rest of the internet.

Side note: If this game has a publisher, why the hell is it on Green Light? That kind of undermines the point, doesn't it?

Being Greenlight is diferent then being Kickstarted, there is no money involved, its just a way to make your game available on Steam.

OT: I guess I now must be offended by that guy from the Serious Sam developers

Yeah, but I thought it was in the same vein as kickstarter, in that it was for indie devs who don't have a publisher to be able to get their game out there and make some revenue. Why can't their pub submit it to steam through traditional means?

I dont know, maybe its Valve using the community to know what games (these cheaper and more mediocre kind of games) should and shouldnt be on Steam. I dont know honestly but there isnt anything wrong with having a publisher in this situation

GoaThief:

Understand that there is some dark humor in the game and they wanted to play off of that. We love cats! That's why we have them in our game to begin with!

Yes, there is black humour in the game and it's very relevant. I wonder if that issue of National Lampoon featured any more dogs?

Well, it's not clear from the trailer that there's any humor whatsoever in this game; I don't think a game can get away with this unless it's as blatantly comedic as Deathspank or Bulletstorm.

There's also the matter of delivery. If I punch my friend lightheartedly, compared with coldcocking some guy who was walking down the street, those may be the same mechanical action, but the context and delivery are radically different.

Dun mess with the puppies and kitties D:<

Or so they say >_>

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook