Architects Nominate Mojang's "Hot" Office for Design Award

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Architects Nominate Mojang's "Hot" Office for Design Award

If you ever wanted to know what Notch's office looks like, now's the time to find out.

Videogames get nominated for all kinds of awards, but this time out Minecraft creators Mojang may get something few others have: an architectural award, for having the Hottest Offices in Sweden. Judging by the photographic evidence the nomination is well deserved, though you do have to wonder whether the photographer stumbled into a Swedish branch of the Athenaem Club by accident.

The interior is the work of BSK Architects, a Swedish firm that, according to its website, combines "the highest ambition [with] attitude, courage and humor." The Hot Office Award is a relatively new contest that aims to show off Sweden's finest examples of office interior design, and to the winner goes the prize: "an exclusive work of art" to gussie up the place. Or a year's loan of a fishtank, for whoever gets second place.

Notch has been quietly gleeful, at least on Twitter, about the nomination. Possibly he's trying to think of where he might put the prize; a difficult challenge, given what's there already. Excellent healthcare, highly educated population with a booming tech sector, one of the top ten happiest nations in the world, delicious food and now offices like these; is there a reason not to live in Sweden?

Source: VG24/7, Sveriges Snyggaste Kontor 2012

That is one... interesting looking office. I wouldn't mind working in a place like that I suppose.

The dim lighting seems more appropriate to a bar than an office, but maybe that's just me.

Is this a joke? I can't even tell.

Formica Archonis:
The dim lighting seems more appropriate to a bar than an office, but maybe that's just me.

Dim lighting relaxes people. The bright lights typically found in an office is meant to act like a cattle prod for the people working there, keeping everyone on edge and increase productivity. Supposedly...

*EDIT for clarification*

Also, yes. There is a reason not to live in Sweden. It has cold and wet winters and short summers :(

Though I'm fucking leaving this damn country if the current government wins another election, because those motherfuckers are turning Sweden into a mini-USA, step by step. Slowly dismantling everything that historically has made this country so great.

That office is almost as dark as GLaDOS's sense of humor.

There better be smooth Jaz playing on the intercom.

Wow, now I really want to work for Mojang. Does anyone else feel like the games industry is overrepresented in the whole awesome offices category? I mean, you won't find many offices like this in, say, retail management. On mondays I'd be all "Finally, back to work!"

That's not an office. It's a furniture showroom.

Then again I wouldn't mind working there.

I am 100% sure that they play smooth jazz while working.

In an office like that it's impossible not to.

That is a pretty snazzy office; seems like a really relaxed atmosphere to work in.

Also I find it hilarious Mojang wins an architecture award; hilarious in a good way that is.

Let me get this straight, make a Creative Sandbox game, release it as a free alpha to get select viral attention and free advertising, let the audience grow and grow, while developing to make the game 500% better. Make the audience drool for new "beta" release, then sell at $27 to 50 Million wanters+, then sit back and let exponential growth and viral social medias do the rest of the work.

Sounds easy enough, now on to creating my Commanding Online multiplayer players via Ranks game, where commands and orders are sandbox.

Then the money will be as vast as the particles of sand on the beach. (And i will let modders do all the hard work from that point on, then buy them up "cheaply", and resell for quadruple in profits.)

I demand smooth Jazz 24/7 accompanied by this: http://www.rainymood.com/

Seriously if I ever become super rich I'd base my homes design on this office.

Thatssss a nice office you got there....sssshame if ssssomething would happen to it.

Lovely office but I think there'd be days I'd be inclined to doze off in that dim lighting!

Yeah I don't care what studies say about dim lighting. I can't focus in it, much less work. They may have turned down the lights to set the mood for this photoshoot.

DVS BSTrD:
There better be smooth Jaz playing on the intercom.

Nope, just one guy who stands in another room all day playing smooth jazz on his saxophone so you can faintly hear it.

Glad to see all those profits have been spent wisely on things that matter such as technical support for their product that doesn't take over four months to provide a basic response to customers' problems... oh.

Wow. And here I thought the "additional funding for ice cream and hookers" was just a joke. Oh well, the fruits of success and all that. Hope it doesn't go to his head.

I sure as hell wouldn't mind working there.

That's one fucking classy looking office.

I really wish I worked in one like that.

Considering all the money he got from Minecraft I wouldn't expect anything less.

I don't why but something about that office looks very Swedish.

Karloff:
Excellent healthcare, highly educated population with a booming tech sector, one of the top ten happiest nations in the world, delicious food and now offices like these; is there a reason not to live in Sweden?

Well, yes: not speaking Swedish. I realize that a fair number of Swedes speak English, but I would still feel like a patronized barbarian to live in a country where I didn't speak a word of the native tongue.

The office does look like a fantastic place to work, though. Love the conference room.

Karloff:
Architects Nominate Mojang's "Hot " Office for Design Award

Notch has been quietly gleeful, at least on Twitter, about the nomination. Possibly he's trying to think of where he might put the prize; a difficult challenge, given what's there already. Excellent healthcare, highly educated population with a booming tech sector, one of the top ten happiest nations in the world, delicious food and now offices like these; is there a reason not to live in Sweden?

A current political situation that seems to do quite well in f*cking everything up (by trying to create micro-US and making rich people richer like you know US...) maybe?
Or just that it got nominated because it's not the average office..

The office they showed during their "Mojam" did not look like that though... still nice enough to maybe apply for some work...

Callate:

Karloff:
Excellent healthcare, highly educated population with a booming tech sector, one of the top ten happiest nations in the world, delicious food and now offices like these; is there a reason not to live in Sweden?

Well, yes: not speaking Swedish. I realize that a fair number of Swedes speak English, but I would still feel like a patronized barbarian to live in a country where I didn't speak a word of the native tongue.

The office does look like a fantastic place to work, though. Love the conference room.

Well the problem that many English speaking people (know a whole bunch of 'em) get in Sweden is that so many talks English to them so they never learn Swedish... Just because they're trying to be nice and practice their own English... :)

Checks CV. hmm need to beef it up somewhat before applying... :D

I was really hoping that the office would be made out of 8-bit cubes :(

Acrisius:
Also, yes. There is a reason not to live in Sweden. It has cold and wet winters and short summers :(

Bullshit.
Where I live, winters are never wet.
It's far too cold for snow to melt.

THANK YOU CAPTCHA, THAT IS VERY HELPFUL.

Acrisius:
Dim lighting relaxes people. The bright lights typically found in an office is meant to act like a cattle prod for the people working there, keeping everyone on edge and increase productivity. Supposedly...

Considering that I'm arsing around on a gaming site while at work, it's not working. :)

My problem with dim light is that I have to squint to read my paperwork. A few hours of that and I'd have a headache that would put a worse dent in my productivity than anything a bank of cheap florescents could do.

The last time I saw their "office" was in that documentary that was being produced... back when they were all basically working on their laptops at a plastic table. They deserve an office like this!

Formica Archonis:

Acrisius:

Considering that I'm arsing around on a gaming site while at work, it's not working. :)

My problem with dim light is that I have to squint to read my paperwork. A few hours of that and I'd have a headache that would put a worse dent in my productivity than anything a bank of cheap florescents could do.

I seriously doubt they can't put in some better lighting at their actual workstations :P

Now THERES a bathroom I wouldn't mind taking a poop in

Acrisius:
I seriously doubt they can't put in some better lighting at their actual workstations :P

Might be okay for Mojang, but for some of us that would mean... well... lighting the whole department better. Because the light at my desk doesn't help when I need to go dig into boxes of paper receipts and repair forms going back upwards of five years.

thenumberthirteen:

I thought exactly the same thing.

Reason not to live in Sweden? Ridiculously expensive booze.

Take one

add some

equals OP

Okay, so... where's the actual... you know, office?

I see a lounge, some break areas, a restroom... There's a conference room or two, and maybe a glimpse of a workstation in the edge of the last photo, but I don't see where someone would actually "work".

EDIT: Followed the link... looks like rows of tables with computers at them along the windows? Definitely form here, just not seeing the function, I guess.

TripleDaddy:

thenumberthirteen:

TripleDaddy:

thenumberthirteen:

And now there are three of us.

There's another thing that immediately came to mind. If that is an office, where is the photocopier? Is it hidden inside a chest?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here