Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Scrythe:
So... does this mean Unreal Tournament is coming back?

Please?

Except, you know, this guy made games that some people actually like. I don't think Cliffy ever had a Daikatana incident.

We'll miss you bro. Good luck in all you do.

Compatriot Block:

Scrythe:

Please?

Except, you know, this guy made games that some people actually like. I don't think Cliffy ever had a Daikatana incident.

Perhaps not specifically, no. Having said that Cliff, like Romero, never stopped at a chance to thrust himself in the spotlight like some kind of game developer socialite. There's such a thing as being in tune and in contact with your player base, and then there's being an shameless attention whore.

Although I'm not sure what's comparatively worse: Romero's hilarious little oopsie with Diakatana, or Cliff kicking UT and it's fanbase through the front doors of Epic as quickly as he could so his new girlfriend, Gears of War, wouldn't get jealous.

"best known for his work on the Gears of War franchise"

Umm...
What about the Unreal games? Those were kind of a big deal.

I still remember getting my ass kicked on DM-Hyperblast in Unreal Tournament. Good times.

Cliffy was a hell of a developer, but it seemed like he had grown disenfranchised with his work and the industry in all the interviews he made. Maybe he can start up another studio after taking some time off.

God the nastiness of some people about this is fucking infuriating.

The guy helped make some highly acclaimed games that a lot of people enjoyed and was a face of the industry. One who really valued the fan interaction. A trait you'd all be crying about if Gabe Newell left Valve.

JuliusMagnus:
Wow, After the third game in a trilogy is released it seems the leaders/faces of the developer leave.

God of War > David Jaffe
Mass Effect > The Docs
Gears of War > Cliffy B

Not strictly the last game they worked on at the Developer, but within a year they seem to leave.

Edit:

Also
Modern Warfare > Robert Bowling (although MW has never been labelled as Trilogy).

Maybe that's why Half Life 3 isn't out, because then the gaming gods would, in some way, force Gabe Newell to leave.

I'm curious if we'll see a difference in the games EPIC makes without his influence.

Considering that he has done more PR then anything else lately maybe he is headed to

KICKSTARTER!

Just to piss off Steve Ellis.

I'm surprised he's as popular as he is. He always seemed to be mentioned more in the sense of a fad or meme.

Signa:
At least we can't blame EA for this one.

Just you wait....

antipunt:
And there goes a good looking man >_>

no homo >_<

ALL of the homo.

Jazz Jackrabbit!

So yeah. Best of luck to him in future.

I honestly stopped paying attention to Epic Games when they abandoned Unreal and royally screwed People Can Fly. (there's a reason three key designers leave a company shortly after a game release, and it isn't because they have "other interests")

At the same time, Cliffy B was primarily responsible for the creation of Gears of War. A series that was very commercially and critically successful. So there's that too.

It's just, every time I hear the guys name, after putting aside the thought of the blatant use of his charismatic nature as a PR personality, all I can think of is, "Oh...that guy. The guy responsible for some of the worst maps in Unreal Tournament."

So, yeah. I don't know. It's a petty thought but, I mean, it's the only thing he's done that has had any kind of significant impact on me. Still, I'm kind of indifferent. His leaving doesn't really affect me.

Regardless, best of the luck to the guy. For what it's worth, he's still a hell of a programmer and designer. It would be a shame if he left the industry.

Hope he finds something meaningful and enjoyable to do, assuming he does.

Cliff's contribution to the The Bed Messer series was huge, it was strong beforehand, mind you, but he added what it was missing; an, I don't know what. What does his leaving Epic suggest? The Bed Messer 5, perhaps?

Never did agree with all of the guy's ideas and views, and wasn't much a fan of Epic's recent games, but I can't deny they made some pretty awesome stuff.

Hope he finds success in whatever he does next!

I wish him well in his future endeavors.

JuliusMagnus:
Wow, After the third game in a trilogy is released it seems the leaders/faces of the developer leave.

God of War > David Jaffe
Mass Effect > The Docs
Gears of War > Cliffy B

Not strictly the last game they worked on at the Developer, but within a year they seem to leave.

Edit:

Also
Modern Warfare > Robert Bowling (although MW has never been labelled as Trilogy).

Add Peter Molyneux to that list.

Also, I hope Fortnite turn out ok.

After only 20 years in the industry he's leaving it entirely? Or is he going to continue other projects on a smaller scale on his own? I really hope that he does not up and leave, as it really says something about the whole state that the industry is in.

See, in most every other medium, the people that work in their respective industries can stay in it an upwards of several decades. You still have people in their 70s working in the film industry, musicians are still playing their music on tours and turning out albums way after their prime, writers will still write even if only moderately successful.

Yet, for some reason in this industry, the average lifespan of someone is just around 20, maybe 30 years, with people quitting the industry before their 50s. That is just for the big kahunas in the industry, this includes people in the lower echelon of the industry. That, to me, suggests a lot of developer burnout either from the heavily intensive (probably unethical) work ethics in the industry or just plain creative depletion in the industry. The industry isn't developing a wizened higher up, there are hardly any auteurs or singular people that drive innovation in this industry in comparison to other mediums as everything is mainly done through committee, and while there is nothing wrong with that per se, there is only so much you can do through a group effort.

I dunno, maybe I'm over reading it, but I can't be the only one concerned that people like Will Wright or Sid Meier give up on the industry after only, what, 20 years? Musicians and directors stay in their industry for twice as long, maybe even more.

I've always thought this guy was a bit of a douche, never met him of course, so I don't know.

I wonder what Epic will be like now?

I liked the GoW Games too, darnit. I hope he gets his deserved break time from the industry then. People can love their job so much, but everyone get's a little burned out eventually. :)

Well Cliff... you, er... had a funky name.

Mr.Pandah:
Awww...it's actually really sad to see him go. He was a huge personality for the gaming business and it'll be a while before we have someone around like him again I feel. =/

The longer the better. Really, why do people find giant manchildren who act like cocky highschool jocks appealing? The man could have been leaking talent from every orifice, he still had one of the most unlikable public personas in media.

The douchebag in charge of the Gears of War atrocity is gone?
Does this mean Epic might actually make a good game this generation?
Probably not...

AzrealMaximillion:
I'm actually sad to see him go. He's one of the few game developers to leave the business in the last few years that actually understood what gamers wanted.

Generic Brown Cover Based Shooter Male Power Fantasies?

Also, didn't Cliffy B. fire an employee for being gay or something a few years back?

Hey, maybe the next gears game will actually be good now

Compatriot Block:

Scrythe:

Please?

Yeah but he did have a John romero incident when he publicly said Eurogamer's review was wrong because he factually knew gears 3 was better than 2 or some bullshit

NO! now who will make sure Epic games character designs have that massively over-muscular look! The characters will all look more human and less like scientific abominations! Oh noes! The horror!

On a more serious note, its good to see the guy leaving to do something else with his life. Its easy to get stuck doing the same thing forever and never explore possibilities. That said, I want your fucking job man, I want it! Give it to me!

Jumplion:
After only 20 years in the industry he's leaving it entirely? Or is he going to continue other projects on a smaller scale on his own? I really hope that he does not up and leave, as it really says something about the whole state that the industry is in.

See, in most every other medium, the people that work in their respective industries can stay in it an upwards of several decades. You still have people in their 70s working in the film industry, musicians are still playing their music on tours and turning out albums way after their prime, writers will still write even if only moderately successful.

Yet, for some reason in this industry, the average lifespan of someone is just around 20, maybe 30 years, with people quitting the industry before their 50s.

Dude the game industry has only been around for 35 years pretty much. (or 42ish if you count the very earliest stuff)

You expect someone to have worked in the industry since Pong? Don't you think that's a touch unrealistic? Even someone like Richard Garriot has only been around since 1980. Peter Molyneux since 1982 and these are some of the oldest guys around.

Also how many actors have come and gone? Many Thousands. That's how many.

I see this as a good thing. I really don't think his latest design work (ie, everything since and including gears of war) was good at all.

Akalabeth:
Dude the game industry has only been around for 35 years pretty much. (or 42ish if you count the very earliest stuff)

You expect someone to have worked in the industry since Pong? Don't you think that's a touch unrealistic? Even someone like Richard Garriot has only been around since 1980. Peter Molyneux since 1982 and these are some of the oldest guys around.

No, I expect people to be able to last more than 20 years just like most other mediums (which was the 1990s, my god do I feel old), and 30 years is still right around what I said before. I do not expect people since the Pong era to be sticking around since, and this is key, many of them were already old during that time and can't reasonably stay.

Nowadays, young people are entering the industry and leaving it at a much higher turnover rate than other industries, this is fact. I wish I had the article, but I do recall reading that people who work in the games industry end up retiring at an earlier age than people who work in other industries (feel free to prove me wrong if you can find otherwise, I genuinely hope that this is not the case). Cliff Bleszinski entered the industry at a fairly young age, and yet at age 37, where actors and directors and some musicians would be at their prime, he is already leaving it (until he states otherwise, this is what I am assuming)? That is a ridiculous turnover rate no matter how you spin it.

This is something that isn't just going to fix itself in the next 40 years, especially with how rapidly the industry has already become a mainstay in entertainment. The argument of "the industry hasn't been around for as long! Let it mature!" doesn't really hold water, at least for me personally, as this industry evolves extremely rapidly, more so than any other medium. It has taken only 20ish years since the 70s for games to be a main part of people's daily lives, it took movies much, much longer.

Also how many actors have come and gone? Many Thousands. That's how many.

You'd be surprised how many actors are still working, either for direct-to-video movies or just minor roles. And not just actors, directors and writers and editors, along with musicians and whatnot.

And there's a difference between an actor/director/musician that failed to make it big in the first place, that is entirely on the individual. What I am saying is that people who are successful in their respective industries tend to stay within it one way or another, either continuing to act or perform, or becoming catalysts for other performers by creating agencies and whatnot. The games industry is not doing this, instead chewing up and spitting out people within it when they are creatively dry.

Suddenly, there was a deep, Cliffy B shaped hole in my heart.

OT: Well, best of luck to him wit his future pursuits. I'm not a big Gears fan, but I always found what he had to say funny for some reason. It's going to be hard to think of Epic games without thinking about Cliffy B anymore.

This comes as a huge surprise to me! I thought he was spearheading the development for Fortnite. That, and he just recently came off a GameTrailers segment and Reddit IAMA.

In either case, I wish him the best! Does anyone else feel a headline reading Cliff Bleszinski opening up a mobile gaming studio coming?

Magichead:

Mr.Pandah:
Awww...it's actually really sad to see him go. He was a huge personality for the gaming business and it'll be a while before we have someone around like him again I feel. =/

The longer the better. Really, why do people find giant manchildren who act like cocky highschool jocks appealing? The man could have been leaking talent from every orifice, he still had one of the most unlikable public personas in media.

It's because he HAD a personality.

Darth Sea Bass:
And not a single fuck was given that day!

Judging by nigh every other post in this thread, I think it's prudent to say you're wrong.

Goodbye sweet prince

But really, its kind of weird seeing him leave Epic since everything seems to go fine and he looked like he was doing what he liked (he always looks super excited when talking about Fortnite, and that game is the type of game that he wanted to do for some time now). He also sounded really thrilled for the Oculus Rift, he even mentions them in the Gametrailers Bonus Round recently has the next big thing.

This really just came out of nowhere.

Magichead:

Please allow me to drop the following names...

Bobby Kotick
John Richitello
Jack Thompson
Michael Atkinson
Keith Vaz

Cliffy B may not have been the most mature guy on the block, but I'll say this for him, he was one of the more positive influences upon gaming. (Mostly...) Plus he's not generally trying to bleed gamers dry or trying to ban any game with so much as handbags at dawn in terms of violence.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd say I give zero fucks about this. I hate Cliffy B and find him to be one of the most immature and irritating personalities in the gaming industry.

Thanks for the Gears of War and all, Mr. Bleszinski, but please... stay away for a very long time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)