Mass Effect 3: Retaliation Arrives Next Week

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mass Effect 3: Retaliation Arrives Next Week

The Mass Effect 3 Retaliation multiplayer DLC pack is big, bad and totally free.

The upcoming Retaliation DLC pack for Mass Effect 3 brings a lot of goodies to the party. The Collectors make a return as a new enemy faction with the Collector Praetorian, Scion, Abomination, Trooper and Captain, while Cerberus continues to cause trouble with the addition of the Dragoon and the Geth roll out new drones. Balancing those threats are new class kits including the Turian Havoc Soldier and Turian Ghost Infiltrator, plus the promise of "many more being added on a regular basis."

The DLC will also introduce "Hazard" versions of existing multiplayer maps, which will confront players with Acid, Lightning, Meltdowns, Sandstorms, Swarms and Whiteouts when they come under attack. Collector weapons including the Assault Rifle, Sub-Machine Gun and Sniper Rifle will be added as unlockables, as will new ammo mods and gear upgrades.

Finally, a new "Challenge" feature will be added to multiplayer that will allow players to track their online accomplishments, compare them with friends and earn "Challenge Points," which can be used to unlock special titles and banners that "allow you to personalize your multiplayer experience."

BioWare says this is the "largest upgrade to date," and it's also free, which is a pretty big plus. Mass Effect 3: Retaliation launches on October 9 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Get all the details at the BioWare Blog.

Looks promising: If there is one thing that Bioware is VERY familiar with by this point, it's retaliation.

Sweet. Hopefully this will get people to stop asking for more factions to fight...for at least a week.

Collectors and Harbinger? Did they realise they forgot about them in ME3? I wonder if this means they'll be in single player DLC next...

good. mass effects multiplayer bores me terrifically. now it will be hazardous to my experience.

All that time I was waiting for a Turian Infiltrator and they waited until after I've stopped playing to add them. It's too late, I'm not going back.

Looks good. I've still not unlocked any bloody Krogan yet.

CPunchMaster:
Collectors and Harbinger? Did they realise they forgot about them in ME3? I wonder if this means they'll be in single player DLC next...

Yea, how does this make sense in single player....

I just wish this could have come out when people were still playing ME3 multiplayer XD

I'd rather a DLC set in the campaign so we could find out just what the hell our choice about the Collector base would have apart from a piss poor writeoff.

Didn't we already kill the collectors?
Nice to hear Harbinger again though.

Shame that well no one is playing ME3MP anymore.
Borderlands 2 man its really just sucking in everything

so it's still horde mode?
yeah I'm not bothering.

need new game modes IMO

Certainly looks worth picking ME3's multiplayer back up for. But it could really do with some extra modes, maybe even competitive ones...

DVS BSTrD:
Looks promising: If there is one thing that Bioware is VERY familiar with by this point, it's retaliation.

Badum-dum-tish...

Free you say?

<_<

>_>

<_<

What's the catch?

Oh, I fucking called it. And Jetpack Turian looks SWEEEEEEEEEEEET.
I doubt I'll get it any time soon though. I only just got a Krogan recently, and it was the shitty one.

bladester1:
Yea, how does this make sense in single player....

Well, the Reapers took billions, if not trillions of Protheans. What's to say there weren't simply more of them stationed on the Reapers themselves as crew and/or shock troopers? Harbinger certainly seemed to like them.

For some reason Bioware are madly inconsistent with their enemies. Aside from the lowly Geth Troopers and base husks I can't think of any enemies that appear in all three Mass Effects.

I'd like to see them back, as well as the various mechs, villains and #ahem# ascended victims of the Reapers like Saren and Benezia. Kai Leng was kind of a sucker.

Wow.... I may actually have to play the mutliplayer again.

Krantos:
Free you say?

<_<

>_>

<_<

What's the catch?

The same as it ever was. Everything that's going to get unlocked is going to be a rare, and take either hours of grinding, or money to unlock.

So Mass Effect 2's plot is entirely pointless now?

Roses are red, violets are blue, this shit doesn't change those terrible endings and I uninstalled your game, doot doot doo doo.

I don't know how BioWare convinced EA to make these packs free every time, but good on them! If you think about it, though, it makes sense to develop a community or fan-base around ME3's unproven multiplayer component by offering free incentives.

Unfortunately, I can bet anything that Mass Effect [insert number/subtitle] WILL have paid DLC packs, compliments of EA.

CPunchMaster:

They already said about a week ago that single player DLC focusing on Omega was coming, so maybe they show up in that, hopefully also along with more multi-player weapons transitioning to the campaign.

I look forward to fighting Collectors again (although I don't quite see how they'll be able to write them back into existence after ME2). However, all positives and negatives of this news in the article were instantly rendered irrelevant when the trailer showed the Turian Havok Soldier using a jet pack. Do Want!

NinjaDeathSlap:

CPunchMaster:

They already said about a week ago that single player DLC focusing on Omega was coming, so maybe they show up in that, hopefully also along with more multi-player weapons transitioning to the campaign.

I look forward to fighting Collectors again (although I don't quite see how they'll be able to write them back into existence after ME2). However, all positives and negatives of this news in the article were instantly rendered irrelevant when the trailer showed the Turian Havok Soldier using a jet pack. Do Want!

Well you did only destroy a single base in ME2 - the location of which you only determined from navigational data from a single cruiser. It may have been their main base but that doesn't mean the Collectors are completely wiped out. Their base was hidden in the freakin' galactic core after all, it's not like it's completely implausible for them to remain hidden whilst regaining their strength until now.

CPunchMaster:

Well, they were in the From Ashes DLC...which was a flashback...50,000 years in the past. They were completely wasted in 2...any attempts now to shove them into the narrative (whether it's via BW staff tweets saying they're fighting against the Alliance 'elsewhere' in the galaxy) or into multiplayer is just a narrative-retconning waste of time.

Studsmack:
I don't know how BioWare convinced EA to make these packs free every time, but good on them!

Microtransactions. The multiplayer uses a "pay-to-win" format - it pays for itself many times over because it's comparatively cheap to produce, as opposed to single-player DLC.

As of right now, it's pretty much the only thing the game still has going for it.

crazyrabbits:

Studsmack:
I don't know how BioWare convinced EA to make these packs free every time, but good on them!

Microtransactions. The multiplayer uses a "pay-to-win" format - it pays for itself many times over because it's comparatively cheap to produce, as opposed to single-player DLC.

As of right now, it's pretty much the only thing the game still has going for it.

You're referring to the load-out packs that you can either unlock or purchase using actual money, right? Do people actually foot the bill for the (what is it?) $2 weapon unlocks?

I suppose if one was strapped for time...

vxicepickxv:

Krantos:
Free you say?

<_<

>_>

<_<

What's the catch?

The same as it ever was. Everything that's going to get unlocked is going to be a rare, and take either hours of grinding, or money to unlock.

DING DING DING! We have a winner.

This isn't an update for the game first and foremost, it's an update to their cash cow. I don't mind that, but I do mind when you make a point out of it being free, because you make it sound like it has anything to do with generosity.

Mysten:

NinjaDeathSlap:

CPunchMaster:

Well you did only destroy a single base in ME2 - the location of which you only determined from navigational data from a single cruiser. It may have been their main base but that doesn't mean the Collectors are completely wiped out. Their base was hidden in the freakin' galactic core after all, it's not like it's completely implausible for them to remain hidden whilst regaining their strength until now.

this
also it's not so hard to piece together that, since Collectors "reproduce" by direct cloning, there would be DNA storage "backups" saved
on the other hand
>Praetorians
>they can now insta-kill
fuck me

Soviet Heavy:
I'd rather a DLC set in the campaign so we could find out just what the hell our choice about the Collector base would have apart from a piss poor writeoff.

Yeah. Remember how many threads we had on here just centered around that one decision? Everyone that it was going to be a huge thing. But it really just amounted to interior design. They really fucked that one up.

Anyway, haven't played the multiplayer in many months now. And I doubt I will again. I'll replay the main game a bunch, though. I still love it, despite its many dipshitty flaws.

Studsmack:

crazyrabbits:

Studsmack:

You're referring to the load-out packs that you can either unlock or purchase using actual money, right? Do people actually foot the bill for the (what is it?) $2 weapon unlocks?

it's also pretty hard to "pay-to-win" when your equipment chances are the exact same as the others', everything is randomized

Studsmack:

crazyrabbits:

Studsmack:

Mm-hmm. They make out like thieves on those packs - John Riccitello has even gone on record saying he would make people pay for ammo clips in Battlefield if he could. ME3 is just their test case, and it seems to be working very well, to the point that most of EA's output for the next year is all P2W games using dormant franchises.

Clearly the whole Mass Effect 3 thing was so downgrading for him, that Harbinger has now brought it upon himself to forcefully "Assume Direct Control" of things.

...I'll show myself out now. Preferably not the airlock.

Mysten:

NinjaDeathSlap:

CPunchMaster:

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if there were others out there, but I was referring more specifically to when Harbinger 'released control' just before the base got fucked. Wasn't the whole purpose of the Collectors to be sleeper agents for the Reapers, observing the development of species in this cycle and gathering data while the Reapers were in dark space. Now the Reapers have arrived, that purpose is now void; and in the other task they were given (namely pave the way for the arrival by removing humanity, whom Harbinger perceived as the biggest threat after Sovereign was destroyed) they failed, meaning Harbinger no longer views then as effective thralls, so why would he use them?

Sorry, I cant be arsed to give a fuck about ME3 MP anymore. Cant stand the system they chose to allow you to unlock things.

This sounds like the kind of thing that would be really awesome if I had actually stuck with the ME3 multiplayer.

Seriously though, I don't think the multiplayer was actually bad per se, it just seems like Bioware are putting a huge amount of effort into trying to sustain this thing and that would be really awesome if it was a more compelling experience in general.

This sounds pretty cool. Its been a while since I've played ME3's multiplayer. Course we always knew (or rather assumed) that the Collectors would be another enemy to fight against. And hey, its all for free, and Harbinger actually spoke!

And Praetorians...*shudder* Those must be fun to fight against. Reminds me of that funny pic of one from ME2 with a caption that says "What do you mean we are out of Rockets?!" Good times. Gooood times.

A shame my Xbox has no space on it though. Didn't even have enough for their last free DLC either. Probably going to have to get rid of most of the Multiplayer DLC just to download the Omega DLC that is coming soon. Looks pretty fun though!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here