Curt Schilling May Lose Baseball Treasures

Curt Schilling May Lose Baseball Treasures

The founder of 38 Studios may be forced to sell his baseball memorabilia and other valuable items to pay down his debt.

A lot of anger has been directed toward Curt Schilling over the ugly collapse of 38 Studios, but there's no question that he's in deep himself. He faces multi-million-dollar lawsuits over its failure and has previously stated that the hefty fortune he earned playing baseball has been swallowed up by the venture. And now it looks like things might get even worse, at least on a personal level.

A document filed with the Massachusetts Secretary of State's office (PDF format) indicates that Schilling has agreed to either sell or surrender valuable collector's items, according to an attorney with Boston law firm Sherin and Lodgen, including a baseball cap worn by Lou Gehrig in 1927, a collection of Second World War-era memorabilia including some currently housed at the National WWII Museum, and probably most devastating of all, the "bloody sock" he wore during the second game of the 2004 World Series.

(For those not familiar with the story, Schilling's sock became soaked with blood when he pitched on an injured ankle, not once but twice, producing two strong outings, winning both games and ultimately the World Series. He threw the first sock away but kept the second, which is now on display at the Baseball Hall of Fame.)

Experts in the field say the sock could draw $25,000 while Gehrig's cap could bring over $200,000. The value of his Second World War collection isn't known, nor is the value of his investment in a private equity fund that he also pledged against the loan. Whatever the figure may be, it probably won't be enough to put much of a dent in his debt; Schilling personally guaranteed at least two loans to 38 Studios, one from Bank Rhode Island for $9.6 million and another worth $2.4 million from RBS Citizens. Bank Rhode Island has reportedly already sold off 1600 gold coins worth an estimated $2.6 million that Schilling had pledged as collateral.

Potentially having to sell the sock and other items is part of "having to pay for your mistakes," Schilling told Boston radio station WEEI. "I put myself out there," he said. "I'm obligated to try and make amends and, unfortunately, this is one of the byproducts of that."

Source: Boston.com

(photo)

Probably shouldn't have called it "Reckoning."

Fairly harsh way to learn an old lesson: Just because you're an enthusiast in a certain field, that doesn't make you competent to run a business in that field.

He just really can't catch a break.

Honestly I feel really bad for him. He was obviously enthusiastic, and he just got in over his head. I respect him for being so excited to work in this field.

Well, this is just a depressing story in every way.

Poor guy. :(

Well that's a downer, I feel bad for the guy :( He shouldn't have to sell his memories.

I feel bad for him, too. Having to give up unique things of sentimental value is always a hard thing to do. It's nice to know that he's willing to do what he needs to take responsibility for what went wrong, but that's really unfortunate.

Gah why can't this guy be a dick... =(

DVS BSTrD:
Probably shouldn't have called it "Reckoning."

Irony is ironic sometimes.

Chemical Alia:
I feel bad for him, too. Having to give up unique things of sentimental value is always a hard thing to do. It's nice to know that he's willing to do what he needs to take responsibility for what went wrong, but that's really unfortunate.

I really am torn on this as such. I don't want to see the guy go deep on this, but on the flip side, the concept of responsibility for your actions in business is such a novel thing these days I'm kind of glad to see it.

I have a lot of respect for the man. He made a life changing mistake and by all appearances he seems to be willing to make every effort to rectify it. As someone in the field of recovery, I can confidently state that this his attitude represents the minority of debtors. Most people try to dodge their obligations when meeting said obligations forces a change in their life style.

Yeah, I really loathe hearing about this. Its so beyond wrong.

I know EA was in the middle of their ME3 Shitstorm, but cmon, You would think that EA would have helped out to give them enough time to make a profit off the product instead of destroying the studio as well as the IP which is now technically property of the state? And an MMO that could have been converted to a single player game to let them make a little bit more money back.

Everything that has come out of this has been utterly useless for the world, and only in the interest of a handful of people.

viranimus:

I know EA was in the middle of their ME3 Shitstorm, but cmon, You would think that EA would have helped out to give them enough time to make a profit off the product instead of destroying the studio as well as the IP which is now technically property of the state? And an MMO that could have been converted to a single player game to let them make a little bit more money back.

Everything that has come out of this has been utterly useless for the world, and only in the interest of a handful of people.

EA had absolutely nothing to do this.

They published the game but didn't own the studio. If they did, do you think KoA:R would've appeared on Steam?

Frostbite3789:

viranimus:

EA had absolutely nothing to do this.

They published the game but didn't own the studio. If they did, do you think KoA:R would've appeared on Steam?

Yes I am well aware of that their only role was simply that of a publisher. But what I am saying is they already had a relationship, EA has the capacity to fund projects, and instead of every bit of profit going to nothing and tanking the IP, EA could have invested in it, paid off the debt, took the profit from the game as well as let them knock the second game out instead of laying everything asunder for the benefit of lawyers and councilmen.

As for Steam... I think it would be possible, yes, but seeings as you bring steam Up, Steam can rot in hell, so any point regarding steam is moot until they are forced to retract their extortion of compliance to their ToS terms.

the guy is like a poor young dog .

he has that pissed himself and made some terrible things but he is too young to uderstand the shit he is in, so you feel slightly bad when you have to punish him so he can learn to be house trained.

poor dumb dog.

Formica Archonis:

Scorpid:

He isn't? As was reported here months ago, he ignored anyone who gave him advice he didn't like, lied to employees about the company's health and their relocation packages, laid everyone off via email, hired inexperienced relatives for high-paying jobs, and micromanaged things he knew nothing about.

To say nothing about the employees surprised to find out, after being laid off, that 38 hadn't sold their houses or paid their moving costs. If he had simply mismanaged the company I probably would feel a bit bad to hear this news . . . but I just can't manage that.

This is why you don't get in bed with the Government.

You get into debt this happens, look at the homeless people on the streets for crying out loud having to sell some treasures (Oh Noes) should be the least of his worries right now with a debt this big.

Formica Archonis:

Scorpid:

He isn't? As was reported here months ago, he ignored anyone who gave him advice he didn't like, lied to employees about the company's health and their relocation packages, laid everyone off via email, hired inexperienced relatives for high-paying jobs, and micromanaged things he knew nothing about.

I just read the article and this was my face for the entire read: image
How anyone can be that stupid and optimistic is beyond me. I hope things work out for all the employees who now have massive debts, but Schilling gets no sympathy from me.

Formica Archonis:

Scorpid:

But he was so enthusiastic! It was all about the enthusiasm man. He was like. We can do this! Then he gave the middle finger to reality when reality kept tellin him he was bein an idiot. Who doesn't love someone like that?

viranimus:

Mass Effect nothing. EA just got done funding the absolute failure of a Star Wars MMO, they are NOT going to step-in and save a dying studio only to be stuck funding yet another MMO.

Edit: Okay, so maybe not "absolute" failure, but it's been rocky at best.

Continually ignoring and/or belittling the problem, keeping a pretense of control, and all the while doing nothing to address the growing monster of a problem getting bigger and bigger right under his nose.......

The very same attitude and politics that was the reason behind the clusterfuck that is Chernobyl.

Zachary Amaranth:

I really am torn on this as such. I don't want to see the guy go deep on this, but on the flip side, the concept of responsibility for your actions in business is such a novel thing these days I'm kind of glad to see it.

Except it's happening to someone who actually gives a damn about other people and is willing to accept responsibility. Why couldn't the bankers and stock brokers get hung out to dry when they crashed our god damn economy into the ground? Clearly they didn't give a shit about us.

WhiteTigerShiro:
[Mass Effect nothing. EA just got done funding the absolute failure of a Star Wars MMO, they are NOT going to step-in and save a dying studio only to be stuck funding yet another MMO.

Edit: Okay, so maybe not "absolute" failure, but it's been rocky at best.

Yeah I was going to say. Actually TOR isnt as much as a failure as people think. It made back roughly half of its staggering production costs within the first six months. If the theory that F2P+ Microtrans model generates more revenue, when it hits F2P, it should be able to knock out whatever is left remaining of that in short order before they have to start looking at a large scale expansion.

As for EAs woes... you could point to the string of DA2, ToR, ME3 as that who perfect shitstorm trifecta.

But two points. First, the studio itself while definitely had some internal problems, It was not in bad shape. If you take a major dev/publisher, who controls the studio like EA, it could have been a case of say bullfrog type where the dev is ground into pulp, or it could be the bioware type that keeps chugging along under EAs iron fist.

But there was something that could have been worked there.

As for Copernicus, I might not have made it clear, what I was suggesting was to scrap the idea of it being an MMO, take the content that was already dev'd for the MMO, run it into a single player affair. That way instead of having a full fledged dev cycle for a stand alone game, you can take what was already made, add a fraction of the work load to modify it into a single player game in order to get another product on the market with the 38 logo to try to further generate more revenue to pay down the debt, instead of just obliterating what was built and to leave it not even on a vanburen level of incomplete. I really do think this would have been a much more practical solution instead of burn, rape, pillage and salt the earth under the studio.

So, I guess he has to schill it all out now, ey?

Quick bro, sell all that stuff to a friend for a few thousand, or give it to them as a birthday/whatever gift! then declare bankruptcy.

Formica Archonis:

Scorpid:

Thanks for the link, I remember this well but it seemed like others forgot/missed this.

You wanna feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for the employees who lost their jobs/ money, give them a hat and a bloody sock!

TitanAura:

Except it's happening to someone who actually gives a damn about other people and is willing to accept responsibility. Why couldn't the bankers and stock brokers get hung out to dry when they crashed our god damn economy into the ground? Clearly they didn't give a shit about us.

Because NOBODY has to take responsibility. That doesn't make it a good thing, but it is what it is. Shilling likely could have weaseled his way out, too. He didn't, which is an excellent thing to behold in this day and age.

Why do bad things happen to good people, you might ask. It's because good people tend to do the right thing.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here