Remember Me Creative Director: Now Is The Time For New IP

Pages PREV 1 2

Baldry:

GTwander:
Am I the only one that sees this as eerily reminiscent of Watch Dogs?
It's like the same exact... well, everything. Down to the engine, UI and publisher.

I remember it, I'm still waiting for more information to blow my tits off. Also this is being published by Capcom, watch dogs is Ubisoft isn't it?

M'yes, realized that a while ago but didn't correct myself.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Foolproof:

GenGenners:

Your Skyrim Vs. Catherine argument seems to fail to take into account the genuine high-quality of Skyrim. Skyrim, on it's own merits, is arguably one of the most well-designed games of the whole generation.
Using Skyrim as the example for your argument is a terrible idea as it automatically beats most competitors by default anyway.
Also, crossing genres tends to make comparison a bitch. Rather than comparing an apple and an orange, you're comparing an apple and a steak. There's still a logical connection there, but it's a completely different type of food.

No, it actually proves my point for all those reasons. If it is able to be one of the best received games of a generation and still be a sequel, that proves calls to original IP are irrelevant as being a sequel doesn't make a game worse in any way, and being a new IP doesn't make a game any better.

It doesn't prove anything, because your point is inherently unprovable in any sort of objective fashion. You're trying to take an inherently subjective qualifier such as 'like' and, without using any sort of statistical base or test group, state that one game is better than another due to whether it is liked more. You're not basing your claims on any sort of hard facts, only the most anecdotal of evidence. Not only that, but you're comparing games from completely different genres, with completely different playstyles and mechanics, and different approaches to storytelling.

It's like claiming that How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days is a better film than Requiem For A Dream/Million Dollar Baby because it's a more 'likeable' film.

For what it's worth. I like Catherine a lot more than Skyrim. The writing is far more introspective, thematic and symbolic than anything Bethesda has offered. It tackles ideas that games very rarely go into, whereas Skyrim is standard fantasy-lore in almost every respect.

As for new IPs: encouraging creativity is always a good thing. Skyrim may be a good Elder Scrolls game, but just imagine what Bethesda could have done if they'd taken all the best elements of its design, and created a new IP instead.

We have currently got a very real problem in how risk averse publishers have become in funding new games. That is not a good sign. A healthy industry is one that encourages new ideas and creativity. If an industry is having to rely on a stream of sequels and cash cow franchises in order to make money, then that is not a good sign. New games are a sign that publishers have the money and inclination to risk on fresh ideas.

I'm just trying to think, of all the major publishers, which ones are actually still promoting creativity and fresh ideas at this stage? In the console market, I can only think of Sony.

GTwander:
It's like the same exact... well, everything. Down to the engine, UI and publisher.

Watch Dogs? It looks nothing like Watch Dogs from the trailer I just looked at, considering that they evidently share none of the same mechanics and clearly have different aims in what you do. The only part of that trailer that makes me think of Watch Dogs is the rain and boring aesthetics.

Assassin's Creed on the other hand... Automated acrobats with stealth elements and well... Assassinations. There's also the flashy white cut scenes and random text boxes.

oh snap that game looks pretty good. a cool concept plus a comparison to Assassin's Creed is a great preview in my book :)

Angry Juju:

GTwander:

Watch Dogs? It looks nothing like Watch Dogs from the trailer I just looked at, considering that they evidently share none of the same mechanics and clearly have different aims in what you do. The only part of that trailer that makes me think of Watch Dogs is the rain and boring aesthetics.

Assassin's Creed on the other hand... Automated acrobats with stealth elements and well... Assassinations. There's also the flashy white cut scenes and random text boxes.

Boring aesthetics, the aesthetic in remember me looks great (wacth dogs aesthetic does look boring)
it reminds me of assassins creed, deus ex and the new syndicate game. Personally I think it looks great, I could be wrong but it looks like an interesting new IP

also, If you set up a well know good IP established this gen than that means people will know your game and be more willing to buy it next gen (at least I would think, people haven't stopped buying halo despite the fact that it has been around since 2001)

legendp:

also, If you set up a well know good IP established this gen than that means people will know your game and be more willing to buy it next gen (at least I would think, people haven't stopped buying halo despite the fact that it has been around since 2001)

Halo was introduced near the beginning of the Xbox lifespan. They're introducing this one at the end of the current lifespan.

This game looks pretty interesting actually!

So... you basically play a terrorist murdering people your illegal gang disagrees? I also lol'ed when the dude said "You need to take him down", the girl went "Oh my god you want me to kill him??!??!" "Oh no I want you to make him kill himself" "Oh I'm okay with that, because causing somebody to commit suicide is like totally not murder."

will it have the world trade center in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmgK98zjyaQ

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Foolproof:

GenGenners:

Your Skyrim Vs. Catherine argument seems to fail to take into account the genuine high-quality of Skyrim. Skyrim, on it's own merits, is arguably one of the most well-designed games of the whole generation.
Using Skyrim as the example for your argument is a terrible idea as it automatically beats most competitors by default anyway.
Also, crossing genres tends to make comparison a bitch. Rather than comparing an apple and an orange, you're comparing an apple and a steak. There's still a logical connection there, but it's a completely different type of food.

No, it actually proves my point for all those reasons. If it is able to be one of the best received games of a generation and still be a sequel, that proves calls to original IP are irrelevant as being a sequel doesn't make a game worse in any way, and being a new IP doesn't make a game any better.

It doesn't prove anything, because your point is inherently unprovable in any sort of objective fashion. You're trying to take an inherently subjective qualifier such as 'like' and, without using any sort of statistical base or test group, state that one game is better than another due to whether it is liked more. You're not basing your claims on any sort of hard facts, only the most anecdotal of evidence. Not only that, but you're comparing games from completely different genres, with completely different playstyles and mechanics, and different approaches to storytelling.

It's like claiming that How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days is a better film than Requiem For A Dream/Million Dollar Baby because it's a more 'likeable' film.

For what it's worth. I like Catherine a lot more than Skyrim. The writing is far more introspective, thematic and symbolic than anything Bethesda has offered. It tackles ideas that games very rarely go into, whereas Skyrim is standard fantasy-lore in almost every respect.

As for new IPs: encouraging creativity is always a good thing. Skyrim may be a good Elder Scrolls game, but just imagine what Bethesda could have done if they'd taken all the best elements of its design, and created a new IP instead.

We have currently got a very real problem in how risk averse publishers have become in funding new games. That is not a good sign. A healthy industry is one that encourages new ideas and creativity. If an industry is having to rely on a stream of sequels and cash cow franchises in order to make money, then that is not a good sign. New games are a sign that publishers have the money and inclination to risk on fresh ideas.

No, its completely objective, because "like" is perfectly qualified and measurable - did the exact same critics who whine endlessly that we need more new IPs say Skyrim was a better game than Catherine? Yes? Then my point is objectively proved - they do not believe what they say enough to prefer a new IP to a sequel.

Gaargh ...

People, if you're going to compare new IPs and old in order to make a judgement on what people actually want, you have to:
Pick games of similar quality, that appeals to the same demographic, and are of similar value for money.
Meaning, stop using an elder scrolls game as a point of comparison. Better off using Resident Evil 6 or something.

Now, while the publishers would have been more than correct a couple of years ago, right now at this moment, somewhat due to kickstarter and indys banding together, etc. less established IP have been getting more attention.

Also, marketing. How many new IP titles have been released recently where people say "never heard of it?"
Publishers, publishers ... if you don't advertise a game, obviously it's not going to sell.

Anyways, so this game is a new IP (scratch EA and Ubisoft), wherein you play a female protagonist (so Activision thinks it'll flop), and published by Capcom (so the PC version probably sucks) ...

If this game does well, the publishers had better all eat their hats.

Danceofmasks:
Gaargh ...

People, if you're going to compare new IPs and old in order to make a judgement on what people actually want, you have to:
Pick games of similar quality, that appeals to the same demographic, and are of similar value for money.
Meaning, stop using an elder scrolls game as a point of comparison. Better off using Resident Evil 6 or something.

Yeah, how about no?

Resident Evil 6 is shit. There are far more problms with it than it just being a sequel. Therfore, for comparrisons sake I use a game wherein the only major negative about it, apart from the bugs, is that its a sequel. If people actually believed that new IPs were that needed, that factor alone would have been enough to make Catherine more critically loved. It wasn't, therefore the people complaining constantly about a lack of new IP do not believe what they say.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here