Muslim Complaints Get Modern Warfare 2 Map Pulled

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Replace it with a texture that says "Allah is a jackass and he loves little boys." More accurate. Everyone wins. Except Muslims, but every time they win, women are set back a hundred years.

Zachary Amaranth:

Flippincrazy:

The only consequence of this is that Favela will be unavailable for a small time, don't blow this too much out of proportion.

You're on the internet. You're on the internet and talking sense.

I hope you have a flame bunker, as I'm afraid you're going to need it.

I have a flame banker

Want to join?

Dirty Cop James funs:

Zachary Amaranth:

Flippincrazy:

The only consequence of this is that Favela will be unavailable for a small time, don't blow this too much out of proportion.

I have a flame banker

Want to join?

Save some room for me! The firestorm is coming fast!

doggie015:

Dirty Cop James funs:

Zachary Amaranth:

I have a flame banker

Want to join?

Of course I will! ^_^

But you'll need to get all of your food, because I feel we will stay here for a long long time.

Norix596:
Really? The part of Modern Warfare that Muslims find offensive is the writing on a wall surface? How about the slaughter of mass quantities of generically "arabic" enemies?

I suspect that muslims find it easier to ignore that aspect, because they don't view themselves as "generically Arabic". They don't feel like they are the ones being demonised. I guess its similar to making a game in which you murder waves of generic Europeans - The Dutch don't care because they aren't necessarily being singled out, and don't see themselves as part of the generic number. ON the flip side, if the game is meant to be set in an obvious Iraqi/Afghan substitute, then a Saudi gamer or a Pakistani gamer has even less reason to care, as its not Saudis or Pakistanis being killed.

Stainlesssteele4:
At first, I thought it was some derogatory remarks towards Islam, after seeing how widely this was reported. But to find out it was simply a quote above a toilet...
I just don't understand the mentality. Do they not understand that not everything has to conform to their religion? Or that they are not free from criticism?
I guess I'll never understand, as I'm too free minded to conform to such zealotry. But I'm going to remain annoyed by the whole situation.
If someone calls me something on the internet, I live with it, because is can't be helped. But if someone openly criticizes Islam, heads roll.
I am sufficiently bugged by this ordeal. Bugged I say.

I think you demonstrate a lot of the problems with non-muslims trying to comment on a muslim issue. Non-muslims lack certain parallels with some muslim beliefs, so are left scratching their head whenever muslims take offense to something. As far as non-muslims are concerned, "it's just a picture in a bathroom" or "it's just a picture of the prophet". If you don't take offense, its harder to sympathise with the people that do. If you can't see why one could take offense in the issue, you aren't really qualified to make value judgements on whether these muslims deserve to be listened to.

As to the issue of "it's just a picture", you should realise that humans place more than just a face value on certain things. As I said, we lack an immediate parallel in non-muslim cultures, so to demonstrate my point, I'll have to use an extreme example: When grave stones get vandalised we get pissed off. If someone turned around to you and said "it's just a carved rock", that probably won't make the pill any easier to swallow. It's more than just a carved rock to you, so you'd still be fucking furious if you caught someone kicking it over. That might give you the vaguest idea of what a muslim feels like when they see "just a picture".

Of course, it might be best to defer to a muslim commentator - one who recognises how and why muslims feel offended, and thus is able to make a more informed argument on whether their response to the offense is appropriate.

Dirty Cop James funs:

doggie015:

Dirty Cop James funs:

I have a flame banker

Want to join?

Of course I will! ^_^

But you'll need to get all of your food, because I feel we will stay here for a long long time.

No worries. Already got a few suitcases of non-perishable foodstuff going... about a month's worth should be enough... Wait... there IS water connected to the bunker right?

doggie015:

Dirty Cop James funs:

doggie015:

Of course I will! ^_^

No worries. Already got a few suitcases of non-perishable foodstuff going... about a month's worth should be enough... Wait... there IS water connected to the bunker right?

Of course!
^_^
What type idiot lives in a bunker without water.

Maybe Hitler, but he's not here so I have nothing to fear....

Dirty Cop James funs:

doggie015:

Dirty Cop James funs:

Of course I will! ^_^

Of course!
^_^

One final question: Internet?

doggie015:

Dirty Cop James funs:

doggie015:

Of course!
^_^

Dirty Cop James funs:

doggie015:

Of course!
^_^

One final question: Internet?

Hell yeah we have internet!

Without it how do we know the flame war is over?

MeChaNiZ3D:
Basically, what I read was "Hi Rez has larger balls than Activision".

BiH-Kira:

Last time I checked, gay marriage didn't get legalized in a lot of Christian countries because of Christians. Last time I checked, the church didn't have to pay any taxes.

If Christians make up the majority vote in a country, that doesn't make it unfairly pandering to Christians. The Bible is a f***ing stupid reason to be against gay marriage, but their opinion still matters in a democracy. Also, no religions have to pay taxes. I don't see how this makes Christianity look any better. I think it's stupid that religions don't have to pay taxes. But the kind of attitude that exempts them is the same attitude that is at play here, pandering to some oversensitive Muslims, many of which I doubt play the game and none of which care that their BS has caused inconvenience for every other player of the game regardless of religion.

Lastly, I don't see your point. You're basically saying all since all religions are pandered to, people shouldn't be annoyed if they see yet more pandering.

They get tax exempt status due to being classes as a charity. Albeit a wealthy one.

Also, the gay marriage thing is a stupid argument. I never personally understood it.
If you know that the Christians don't allow gay marriage, why on earth would you want to become part of their religion? No logic.

This is why the Civil Partnership was brought in to give Gay couples the same rights under a different name. Makes perfect sense. Oddly the only gay people I know don't seem to mind about this, it tends to be the equal rights nutters who will protest over anything!

in iraq they called it SIMS :3

Muslim priorities... They'll shoot 14 year old girls in the head for claiming the right to receive an education but THIS "obscenity" requires action.

Legion:

Subscriptism:
Why don't any of the big corporations have the spines to tell them to fuck off and act like grown ass men instead of crying when their feelings get hurt.

Two words: Share Holders.

If they say anything that can tarnish the companies reputation in any way then they start to get nervous, and when they get nervous, they start to pull away from the company.

There is also the fact that people in the business of selling are very careful to avoid offending anybody normally. Each person is a potential customer, or somebody who could spread the word that the company has a problem, which could affect potential sales if enough people get annoyed.

In short, they don't have the guts to say it because it might lose them some money. They know the fans will whine, but still play, so they'd rather appease the complainers.

I knew that deep down but it still disappoints me. I don't know why I expect more from humans.

There's a reason "islamophobia" has become a word now. This is the least of our problems, but a problem nonetheless, when game devs will buckle instantly to whiny bigoted religious extremists over something they have yet to grow up over.

I love the 'atheists are the most annoying group' catchphrase that's becoming increasingly popular with certain religious sects. It's like some sort of reverse psychology defense that they use to keep themselves feeling like they're the 'good guys', which is ironic, because it only makes them look even more bigoted

In other news, I support the removal of this map because I am a bathroom and I'm offended that Koran writings are on my digital cousins.

BiH-Kira:
People get offended that a quote about Allah is in the bathroom. Ask nicely to remove the quote from the map.
Acitivision decides to remove the map until the fix that part.

The internet goes mad.

And people say Muslims are bad. Just look at this thread and the youtube page. You ask your self why religious people get offended when you write all the shit about their God?
Also, Islam getting a special treatment? And Christianity not? Last time I checked, gay marriage didn't get legalized in a lot of Christian countries because of Christians. Last time I checked, the church didn't have to pay any taxes.

Every religion is getting special treatment. Not just Islam.

Islam seems to be the only one that exercises that 'right'.

I don't like Islam in particular because the religion is worse than the other big ones, in that the general consensus for Muslims seems to be that the world should change to fit them (you know, REAL dark age oppression habits they haven't grown out of) rather than them having to live in a world where they can't control others.

Who gives a fuck if they "asked nicely" (Which I don't believe for a second is the whole truth)? Why should they get to dictate what the rest of the world does and sees?

What should have happened:
The Muslims politely requested the map changed (which did, props to the muslims)
Activistion acknowledged the request, published an official apology stating no harm was intended. (also happened)
And that's it really.

Possibly activision develops a patch and releases it at a later date.

There was no need for the pulling of maps. Bad move.

lacktheknack:

I'm under the impression that this is literally nothing more than "Allah is beautiful and he loves beauty" being written on a bathroom wall.

Okay, so you're being incredibly literal and narrow in this. Gotcha. I was assuming you were taking a broader sense, since Christians lose their shit over trivial matters every day in this country.

But it's okay, because they don't specifically lose it over Jesus in the bathroom.

Seriously, these assholes again?

Why? Why do they get offended by the tiniest things, and then why do people bend over backwards to make them not offended.

I'm positive that it's not all muslims, not even close, it's a vocal and annoying minority of extremists who think that their religion entitles them to bully others into getting what they want.
Well you know what, your religion is not special, and it's not exempt from being portrayed in media like everyone else's.

If every other religion can take it on the chin, then the Muslim faith can too.

Zachary Amaranth:

lacktheknack:

I'm under the impression that this is literally nothing more than "Allah is beautiful and he loves beauty" being written on a bathroom wall.

Okay, so you're being incredibly literal and narrow in this. Gotcha. I was assuming you were taking a broader sense, since Christians lose their shit over trivial matters every day in this country.

But it's okay, because they don't specifically lose it over Jesus in the bathroom.

Original quote:

wabbbit:
Yeah, because Islam is real different.....
Christians - even the extremists, wouldn't give a shit about this sort of thing in a game.

And even moreso, they sort-of-kind-of addressed your attempt at being broad about Christian behavior (which looks like back-pedaling right now).

Also, Christians protesting gay marriage and Muslims protesting some words in a texture are completely different things. I'm not getting into that debate.

Your response was "Not sure if serious". This is all they were referring to, and all I ever presumed we were referring to. YOU'RE the one who moved the goal-posts.

Nicolaus99:
Muslim priorities... They'll shoot 14 year old girls in the head for claiming the right to receive an education but THIS "obscenity" requires action.

Gotta love the people defending such people in this thread eh?

Awesome, this map sucked ass anyways. Nothing but staircase campers and knife morons.

Thanks, butthurt Muslims.

charge52:
I really don't understand why the Muslim's are upset over a painting saying "Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty". Did they misspell Allah, is this insulting? I just don't fucking get it!

The fact it is in a toilet maybe, because it is a dirty place not fit for him. Just guessing.

wabbbit:

They get tax exempt status due to being classes as a charity. Albeit a wealthy one.

Also, the gay marriage thing is a stupid argument. I never personally understood it.
If you know that the Christians don't allow gay marriage, why on earth would you want to become part of their religion? No logic.

This is why the Civil Partnership was brought in to give Gay couples the same rights under a different name. Makes perfect sense. Oddly the only gay people I know don't seem to mind about this, it tends to be the equal rights nutters who will protest over anything!

That's what I don't get. I don't see how religions are charities when the majority of what they do is not charity.

However, I know gay people who do have a problem with civil partnerships. Because having a different word for it implies that it is something different. Why couldn't they just have marriage apply to homosexuals? To please Christians and avoid making a fuss? Homosexuals are only different where we decide they are, and not being able to marry and use the same word for it is differentiation.

blackrave:

GoaThief:

blackrave:
/snip

I think you need to chill out a little bit, the Koran isn't loaded with more magick than any other religious text.

To make such a bold claim you better have some solid proof.

NLP isn't magic. I just said, that it might be the first religious text that started to use some NLP techniques.
Just to be sure, in what language have you read it?

Dude, you know that your posted link indicates that NLP is *utter bullshit*, right?

spwatkins:

blackrave:

GoaThief:

I think you need to chill out a little bit, the Koran isn't loaded with more magick than any other religious text.

To make such a bold claim you better have some solid proof.

NLP isn't magic. I just said, that it might be the first religious text that started to use some NLP techniques.
Just to be sure, in what language have you read it?

Dude, you know that your posted link indicates that NLP is *utter bullshit*, right?

Please read more than a first paragraph!
Thank you.

wabbbit:

You forgot Atheists, who in my opinion are more annoying.
Most religions will keep themselves to themselves, but atheists constantly like to remind people why they are "wrong".

For the record, that would be offensive- not some writing on a frame. Sounds more like a description of "Postal" though!

I'm sorry, did you just say "Most religions will keep themselves to themselves"? Well I quoted you, so clearly you did.

Yes, because Atheists coming knocking on people's door at 7am on a weekend to discuss the merits of a dead jewish zombie carpenter and why their flavor of bullshit is superior to the other 51 flavors of bullshit available to the modern believer. Atheists fly planes into buildings and launch holy wars against people with different beliefs than they maintain.

Now then, because you clearly missed the "subtle" contextual clues that indicated sarcasm in my post, allow me to clarify it for you.

A "militant athiest" would hardly describe themselves as such, most militant people don't use the term militant to describe themselves (excluding NRA members). So right there I'm pointing out that I'm taking a jab at that particular flavor of self righteous athiest, rather than claiming to be one, which is ironic because I'm sounding like one in the upper part of my response to your incredible (incredible = lacking credibility or merit) statement that religions people don't bother other people, despite all of recorded history proving otherwise.

Point of fact, I describe myself (only when asked or provoked by stunningly oblivious responses) as an indifferent agnostic. I don't claim to know if there is a god, gods or divine force and I don't care. The concept of God or a Pantheon of gods is utterly irrelevant to my every day life.

What I do loath is people who spent any amount of time proselytizing to me or taking actions that effect a wider scope of people than just themselves. I'm offended by muslims insisting on a texture edit in a game. I'm offended by Jehovah's witness at my door. I'm offended by athiests demanding the removal of a nativity scene. I'm offended by your self righteous post that demonstrates a complete lack of comprehension of the difference between a sarcastic joke and a serious response.

Is that sufficiently understandable for you, or would you like me to print it up in a manifesto so my ever growing cult of worshipers can tell you about it?

I don't know here. I don't know if they should change it, but at least the guy was quite calm and generally a cool guy about it, rather than getting crazy ALLAH AKBAR *BOOM*.

Wow so once again a company bows to pressure because it "offended" someone.

DONT PLAY IT IF IT OFFENDS YOU! YOU DONT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DICTATE WHAT IS AND IS NOT ALLOWED BECAUSE IT OFFENDS YOU.

God I hate how people act like their offense somehow matter.
I also hate companies that pander like that.

No I dont hate Muslims either.
I just hate people who demand something changes because it stepped on their religious or moral toes.

nodlimax:
So they are offended? Who cares? Let them be offended. They don't care if I find some of their behaviour offensive.

I think the Islam itself as a religion is offensive....so please change for me....

Well said, couldn't agree more.

Gilhelmi:
At least this is a legit reason.

What no one seems too get is that there are No, zero, zip, zilch, depictions of the Prophet Mohammed in the Muslim world. They believe that any image of Prophet Mohammed might lead some too start worshiping the picture itself and not Allah. I do not blame them for this, in my Christian walk, I have seen people claiming to be Christians do some pretty stupid thing in Christs name (even though they are contradicting Christ by doing some of the stupid but I digress).

So I say, this is legit.

No it isn't.

What Muslims seem to not get is this: I'm not religious, I'm not in the Muslim world, so why should this affect me or the tens of millions of other gamers not in the Muslim world? If people in the Muslim world want to get offended, then they can and perhaps boycott that map.

This is the crux of the issue that pisses off people who are not religious (or at the very least non-Muslim) - the world shouldn't have to change around a bunch of people who get offended by something. It doesn't matter what it is - writing on a wall, a stupid movie, women's rights, Britney Spears - people are entitled to be offended if they wish, just as everyone else is entitled to not care and not have someone else's offense affect their lives.

antipunt:
I love the 'atheists are the most annoying group' catchphrase that's becoming increasingly popular with certain religious sects. It's like some sort of reverse psychology defense that they use to keep themselves feeling like they're the 'good guys', which is ironic, because it only makes them look even more bigoted

Exactly right. I hate this common attitude of "I believe in [whatever] religion so you have to respect my beliefs".

Wrong.

You are entitled to believe whatever you like, but I do not have to respect, agree, or even care what made up nonsense it is you believe. I, at the same time, am entitled to not expect your beliefs to affect my life in any way. (and this 'you' is not the poster I quoted, btw, it's 'one' but that sounded really pompous when I read it back. LOL.)

So he's offended about a picture frame (that doesn't exist) being in a bathroom (that also doesn't exist)?

Now I've not played MW2, but what is a muslim quote doing in a house in Rio? There is 1 mosque in the whole of rio and it was only opened in 2011, after this game was made.

source: http://dawn.com/2011/08/22/islam-takes-root-in-land-of-bikinis-and-carnival/

blackrave:
Funny people- they don't mind that they are being killed in hundreds every day
But as soon as you somehow touch their book of fairy tales or their pedophile prophet- suddenly they are enraged
And you know what is the most fucked up thing in this? THEY ARE NOT ENRAGED, simply muslim elite uses such things as excuses to show their supposed superiority.
As if they have unique right to bitch and moan about every tiny thing they don't like and everyone else is supposed to simply accept it.

P.S. Friendly advice- don't read Koran, unless you are of strong mind, otherwise you'll get indoctrinated. I'm not kidding, even translated version is set in such way that it will change the way you are thinking, unless you keep your guard up.
P.P.S. Now I know how Illusive Man felt.

I read the Koran a few years back. Reminded me of the bible a lot to be honest, a thing designed to indoctrinate those of weak will and sense of self in order to control a populace that lacks the means to define itself as anything but servants to a mythical being.

OT: Meh, Favela is kinda shit anyway (the proof being that I'm a s hit COD player, I just can't run and gun, and I managed to hit 30 kills with no deaths by shotgun on that awful awful map...) and who the hell still plays MW2? I got to level 26 and jacked cuz I was bored.

BUt really the Muslims need to stiffen that upper lip and stop being so easily upset by everything. Here's the thing: religion does not grant you absolute power over everything everyone else does.

Your book says homosexuality is bad. I have many books that say otherwise.

Hang on there's a Billy Connolly clip for this:

2 mins is where it gets semi-relevant!
4:46 is the quote I was thinking of, but I don't know how to set a start point on here.

maninahat:

As to the issue of "it's just a picture", you should realise that humans place more than just a face value on certain things. As I said, we lack an immediate parallel in non-muslim cultures, so to demonstrate my point, I'll have to use an extreme example: When grave stones get vandalised we get pissed off. If someone turned around to you and said "it's just a carved rock", that probably won't make the pill any easier to swallow. It's more than just a carved rock to you, so you'd still be fucking furious if you caught someone kicking it over. That might give you the vaguest idea of what a muslim feels like when they see "just a picture".

Agreed but say I saw someone kicking over a grave, I confront them. They explain that they made and own the grave. Also that it is even a real grave and in fact is a virtual grave in a video game and they didn't anyone would see it because it is so small and out of the way.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here