Microsoft Prohibits Gamers From Cashing in on YouTube

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Double Post.

Expect Microsoft to launch their own video platform - BingTube - soon.

Also, expect it to fail after 2 years of annoying advertising, and expect Microsoft to cling to it like their company depends on it.

Damn, things might get complicated for Rooster Teeth :(

... You know what? ... I think I found a point where this makes sense:

OnLive, Win8.
With Microsoft adding the whole XBOX-crossover thingy, and the Store to Win8, it sounds reasonable to prevent people from "creating video clips of game footage", which includes streaming of actual gameplay.

Solving problems ass first, brought to you by the friendly local accountants.

The hilarious part is how blindly afraid these companies are of anyone making money, but if they considered it just for a second they would see very clearly Youtube kids are promoting their shit for free and people buy more of their games that way.
Now the big channels that get millions of viewers and you hinder will just promote another game instead, oh MS you brilliant monkeys.

blackrave:
Damn, things might get complicated for Rooster Teeth :(

No it won't, they have already have deals with Microsoft, hell they used Halo 4 to do he Halo 4 release date announcement videos.

Tiamat666:
Youtube is owned by Google. Microsoft doesn't like Google. Lots of Halo videos on Youtube mean lots of advertising revenue for Google. I suppose MS has a plan to shift control of video game content off Youtube and onto a more MS-friendly platform.

... which will never happen.

At this point, you can't kill YouTube. It's where everybody goes for videos (the extremely few blip-shows aside), and it'll take a lot to change that.

Besides, Google still gets ad revenue. Ads can still run alongside the video, as long as the creator doesn't earn a profit. It just really confuses me how this is good for anyone.

RvLeshrac:
And I'm sure he monetizes the videos without first obtaining the rights necessary to do so from the developers.

Or, you know, the opposite of that.

To put an end to the discussion regarding Yogscast and TB:

* Yogscast mainly plays Minecraft, which allows monetisation. Thank Notch.
    * TB gets free indie games (and now a few triple-A titles too) from developers to promote them.
Now that that's out of the way, how does Chuggaaconroy earn money?

Don't care about Halo montages, but an attack against fair use?

I'll sign dat shit.

I hate to say it, but I don't see much of a problem here. Parodies will be protected by law as well as reviews, and the montage videos will still exist but just not make any money. And beside, I highly doubt that 95% of those montage videos are "Original Content" in the sense that the uploader didn't just edit a string o different videos together.

You will never love another human as much as Microsoft hates its own user base.

Pictured: a Microsoft lawyer in its natural habitat

Way to go Microsoft, way to go. In other news, Fuck Microsoft, and everything it has ever done or will do.

That's right, I'm not even giving it a chance to redeem itself. It's gone too far. Shitty operating systems, shitty software, shitty gaming platform, shitty social media systems, shitty email systems, shitty customer service, shitty business ethics, shitty... erm... logo... shitty shitty shitty.

Tiamat666:

Zombie_Moogle:
I... really can't think of a single reason Microsoft would do this?
They don't offer a competing video upload service for Halo; they aren't losing money from people doing this. If anything, these videos promote their games for free & keep the customers happy

Is this just petty jealousy? Can Microsoft not just stand the idea of anyone else making money if they aren't involved? Wait, they were involved! They sell the game these videos are made of.

Yeah, I don't get it...

Youtube is owned by Google. Microsoft doesn't like Google. Lots of Halo videos on Youtube mean lots of advertising revenue for Google. I suppose MS has a plan to shift control of video game content off Youtube and onto a more MS-friendly platform.

I read through the whole first page and no one quoted you :( I feel this is probably why MS acted like they did as well - YT is Google and MS doesn't like them.

Technically you can still upload microsoft game videos to youtube, just can't select the commercial option for monetizing, only the ads on top, below, left, and right of the video.

EternalFacepalm:

* Yogscast mainly plays Minecraft, which allows monetisation. Thank Notch.
    * TB gets free indie games (and now a few triple-A titles too) from developers to promote them.
Now that that's out of the way, how does Chuggaaconroy earn money?

Chugga does Nintendo games mainly and Nintendo has no plans of implementing something like this because LPers like Chugga, NCS, and TheRunAwayGuys really give Nintendo free advertising. I know that NCS and Chugga have partnerships because Chugga said in an update that LPing was his job and NCS said how he got his partnership back in his Super Mario Galaxy 2 LP.

CentralScrtnzr:
I don't really understand the wisdom of this. It's not like Microsoft is going to bother posting such videos to generate revenue for themselves. All they're going to do is reduce the impetus to post such videos which serve to hype the game. As a consequence, they get less free advertising and less excitement about their product.

They're a bunch of fucking idiots.

Thats the old world thinking and greed for you. Unless you can screw someone out of a lot of money or make the money directly yourself, better to not let the money be made at all by anyone. Regardless of whether or not it will benefit you in the long run or not affect you in the slightest.

Its also why so many IP's are sitting around, rotting. When they could license them off to studios for next to nothing or with just a % of profit agreement.

Well, it's their IP, they are allowed to do whatever they want to do with it. It's not like they actually have to care about anyone else's interests.

Y'know, this and the direction Microsoft is taking Windows 8 in makes me think their just sick of being in business and want to be declared bankrupt as soon as possible.

Overusedname:
Don't care about Halo montages, but an attack against fair use?

I'll sign dat shit.

It's not an attack on fair use, it's an attack on people monetising their product. You can argue whether or not that's a good thing, but don't conflate it with free use.

V8 Ninja:
I hate to say it, but I don't see much of a problem here. Parodies will be protected by law as well as reviews, and the montage videos will still exist but just not make any money. And beside, I highly doubt that 95% of those montage videos are "Original Content" in the sense that the uploader didn't just edit a string o different videos together.

This post, for example, seems to get it.

Thedutchjelle:

I read through the whole first page and no one quoted you :( I feel this is probably why MS acted like they did as well - YT is Google and MS doesn't like them.

Which is why they've chosen an...incredibly narrow attack on them?

No, seriously. Conspiracy theories often neglect simple questions, and that's what you're doing here. The notion that this is anything other than a face value attempt to "protect" their intellectual properties in a very limited sense.

I mean, hell, Microsoft has actually granted folks a license to use their works for non-commercial purposes, which is actually above and beyond what most companies do. Technically, since this was already part of the operating term ("non-commercial"), they haven't even changed the rules so much as clarified them. And as far as I can tell, they haven't actually shut anyone down in the pursuit of taking on Youtube and Google.

This reeks of "if we can't have it, no one can" mentality.

But I must be optimistic. It seems like game companies are getting dumber and dumber, being bigger and bigger douches to their fans (notable exception of Ubisoft removing their always-on DRM). What if companies acknowledge that the gaming industry is too high-budget and innovation just doesn't work in AAA, so they're essentially committing ritual suicide in order to draw gamers to Kickstarter, the Humble Bundles, and indie games in general?

Now where's that conspiracy Keanu image?

Not a smart idea at all. With Halo 4 just around the corner and an entire community itching to release footage on YouTube, MS is kneecapping themselves in the long run by placing a shackle on their community. I have a bad feeling that this will end up dividing the YouTube/Machinima community and fucking MS over big time. What with this and Windows 8, MS seems to be trying to bankrupt themselves.

I think we should start tabs on how long its been since either sony or microsoft actually had any GOOD news in the past few years. I mean seriously I can't be the only one who is thinking its been 2 years or more of these companies being straight dicks to customers without an ounce of good news.

How utterly moronic. I'd like to hear Rooster Teeth and Bungie speak out against this, as they both know that one of the main reasons that Halo is so popular is because it's built up such a massive online community.

If this does anything at all to hurt MLG I'm completely okay with it. Microsoft is definitely the lesser of the two evils.

Using youtube for video games is different to get a clip from a film, isn't it? With the video game clips, the person who puts up the video is essentially giving Microsoft free advertising.

Wow.

Now the greed has turned into ANTI-greed?

Long story short: Microsoft will make damn sure you don't get paid for advertising their products for them.

Icehearted:
If this does anything at all to hurt MLG I'm completely okay with it. Microsoft is definitely the lesser of the two evils.

This doesn't effect MLG at all... and while I don't care for MLG... Why would you be okay with it hurting it?

The Plunk:
How utterly moronic. I'd like to hear Rooster Teeth and Bungie speak out against this, as they both know that one of the main reasons that Halo is so popular is because it's built up such a massive online community.

Rooster Teeth are exempt from this, just like MLG, Machinima, all major gaming channels...

You normally already can't make money from videos on youtube unless you have a partnership with Machinima or one of the big channels or have a deal with the company. On all other occasions you would have to remove your videos.

Frank O'conner already addressed this and why the whole Halo community isn't complaining anyone but it literally effects NO ONE.

It's sad to see that the original article doesn't bother to update with this. :/

Honestly if this was really a big issue do you think only: 1,750 would have signed up for the petition as of two days now?

Rooster Teeth are Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked!

Can't say I'm surprised or bothered by this. You shouldn't be making money off of the hard work of others just because you got a few headshots.

Rooster Teeth are a small exception to this, being that they actually animate the stuff themselves. On second thought, do these guys have some sort of contract with Bungie or something? Because they outright sell DVDs.

laserwulf:

*snip*
What's next, Faber-Castell prohibiting you from making a profit on stories written or sketches drawn using their pencils?

Sketches, maybe, considering, a pencil, like a brush, a specific kind of paint and so on are tools for a painters work. For a writer, this would only be necessary, if the writer would be interested in presenting an actual manuscript, maybe if calligraphy was included, which is rather unusual for today. For most writers of course, the actual words and messages are more important.
Microsoft Office on the other hand...
Hope i'm safe for now, using LibreOffice most of the time. Otherwise i realy might get some trouble in the near future!

On Topic
Honestly, i kinda don't get it. Even if some are exempt and it won't affect most YouTubers anyways, why do that? What about Bloggers? I just can't stop thinking of this metaphor: A giant with Microsoft labeled on it's head, swatting at an insect with a button spelling "proud giant supporter" and constantly hitting itself in the process. Sure, i feel bad about the move, considering i think the restrictions around intellectual property are way to stiff already and not turning for the better right now, but usually i can understand those who are profit driven want to ensure they get what they desire. People giving it a review calling it a bad game don't even have to use ingame footage to do so, but could actually use this as an argument supporting their point, plus they are supported by the right of free press i think. If anyone wants to elaborate and tell me an actual reason Microsoft pulled that off, please do so, my brain hurts from that much stupidity.

Poor business decision, the competitive community tends to drive sustainability for such games which in turn drives additional sales, all they're doing is cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Mikeyfell:
[quote="Korten12" post="7.390631.15701960"]

[quote="Mikeyfell" post="7.390631.15701846"]Halo is (probably) (easily) the biggest game in the Machinima world this user license seems just flat wrong. It probably won't last very long.

Ach, this is off topic but... Chances are valvegames both before and even more so after the machinimatools were developed had more of those things.

(Btw I dont count headshot montages as machinima)

Then we have World of Warcraft.... if Valves not the largest im betting a loooad of coins that they are. I mean, 4 years ago they had more than anyone else in the business. The number of machinimas out of WoW have risen since then. And we are talking about everything from the usual comedy to flippin music videos. Im not even kidding, one of my classmates have made two of those things with original lyrics.

And if we are talking about the machinima channel.. Well.. ugh.

Long ago they decided that Modern Warfare2 and Halo3 were the only games in existance and focused on publishing stuff out of those, they had a drop in subscribers around then whom have now moved elsewhere. So now its understandable considering that CoD and Halo fans are amongst the few subscribers they have left to listen to their awfull codprograms... I mean, they made a SEPERATE CHANNEL for all the Cod, and 90% of the original one is still Cod.

Good, the more outrageous EULA's get, the more likely they'll officially become unenforceable.

As far as i'm concerned its an adhesive contract and unenforceable. (you buy a movie theatre ticket and on the back it says that by using the ticket you agree that they can search your car while you are watching the movie. not enforceable as there was no arms length negotiation (or often even any awareness) over said terms.)

Korten12:

The Plunk:

Rooster Teeth are exempt from this, just like MLG, Machinima, all major gaming channels...

I know, but as Red vs Blue/Rooster Teeth, MLG and Machinima are probably three of the main reasons that Halo is as popular as it is, these companies and Bungie know how important it is to have a strong online presence. And while this change may not have a huge effect, it still seems like an unnecessary dick-move.

Abandon4093:
Rooster Teeth are Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked!

Can't say I'm surprised or bothered by this. You shouldn't be making money off of the hard work of others just because you got a few headshots.

Rooster Teeth are a small exception to this, being that they actually animate the stuff themselves. On second thought, do these guys have some sort of contract with Bungie or something? Because they outright sell DVDs.

In general they're exempt.

I don't think people realize but...

Microsoft didn't change anything. The EULA simply clarified things. It's the exact damn thing it was before. Frank O'conner clarified this and that's why the Halo community which originally got up in arms went silent after a day because they realized it was the same and no point in complaining.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43023018&postcount=117

As I mentioned in the Halo community thread, these rules actually haven't really changed, and even the updated and clarified text has been up there for months. I assume somebody just noticed this and posted this morning because it sort of blew up. This has always been the Legal status for the IP (and MOST IPs in fact), and as you also already know, nobody is being sued, or in jail, etc etc etc.

The language isn't designed to stop kids streaming their games, or covering their costs, it's designed to stop big companies from using somebody else's IP to run a business.

We'll put together some language that will help community people navigate this easily, and give people workarounds.

The Plunk:

Korten12:

The Plunk:

I know, but as Red vs Blue/Rooster Teeth, MLG and Machinima are probably three of the main reasons that Halo is as popular as it is, these companies and Bungie know how important it is to have a strong online presence. And while this change may not have a huge effect, it still seems like an unnecessary dick-move.

I don't think Halo lives or dies based on if the players can make money.

saintdane05:
So, will this effect Red vs. Blue? It better not...

I think RoosterTeeth has legal permission, pretty sure it's the only reason they are allowed to sell boxed DVDs for RvB.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here