Impressive Hollywood Fan Film Brings Half-Life Alive

Impressive Hollywood Fan Film Brings Half-Life Alive

Enter the Freeman cost these Californian fans only $3,000 to make.

Okay, that has got to be one of the best opening lines, but everything about this fan-made Half Life tribute film is fantastic. Atmosphere, effects, the lot; truly superb, but fair warning: you might not want to watch this one at your work station. Just saying.

What makes it all the more incredible is it only cost about $3,000, shot on location at a Hollywood cottage. Director Ian James Duncan and co-producer Berhard Forcher let a few secrets to low-budget success slip in three tips and tricks videos. One talks directly about action behind the scenes, another shows how Freeman's suit was put together, and there's a how-to plus commentary feature as well.

"In Hollywood it's probably a little bit easier," Duncan admits, but he tells those who want to do the same that they can do it anywhere. Preparation is key; Duncan's crew spent months putting this together, and their hard work really shows. Bravo!

Source: Eurogamer

But is it as good as Escape from City 17?

And how much that did we have to borrow from China to pay for?

Did Freeman just speak? YOU FOOLS!!! What have you done? Prepare for unforeseen conseqences.

Well fuck my donkey was this well made. Only gripe is the cheap-looking Hazman Suit but hey, if you work from a budget there are limitations. Like not being able to afford a professionaly made replica.

It was good and all, but it didn't end with "Gordon Freeman saved my life"

I know there's a lot of work put into fan films like this, but whenever I seen them I can't help but find them very unbelievable and rather ridiculous.

"Brings Half-Life Alive"? I guess I know why they call them pun-dits.

SpectacularWebHead:
It was good and all, but it didn't end with "Gordon Freeman saved my life"

It did for me :) (spotify)

Pretty cool. Suit was meh but on a $3000 budget this was awesome.

weird that freeman spoke but otherwise it was very well made.

i really do not mind Gordon speaking... and i loved it! what else is there to say, but throw money at it

Loved it. It was a bit odd hearing Gordon speak, but I can dig it! I also feel the person who portrayed him looked very much like him. :)

It's pretty good for the most part but I suppose that is the bare minimum they had for Freeman to speak.

I started seeing this on my Tumblr Dashboard.
I'm very impressed and I really want more :/

Wow, they certainly nailed the atmosphere, although the suit looked kinda cheap, kudos for the guy portraying as Gordon Freeman, he does look a lot like him and I certainly didn't minded him speaking.

Also, Gman :D

Shouldn't have made the suit shinny, but other then that it's bloody brilliant work, even Gordon speaking is fine.

This was cool.
Wouldn't want to watch 1h15min thou, shitting my pants from just this tension :P

More than excellent work. Very much a good show! Though, they could have easily avoided Gordon talking by going the "hey, you're Doctor Freeman, right?" shtick. Still, I didn't mind him talking. The nailed his introduction tho. I squee'd ^^

Great impressive work there. I would let those guys do a full blown HL movie anytime. Gordon Freeman looked spot on (besides the cheap looking suit).

This is probably the best half-life fan film I have seen. (Or at least tying with Half-life origins, which was more of a recording of the game, than a fan film proper)

The atmosphere was great and unlike most other fan film I have seen, it had an underlying narrative.

Also it is nice to see someone take up the first game, which in my opinion had a much better setting.

Am I the only one entirely unimpressed by this? XD
Maybe it's because I know how much it cost, and I've seen better fanvids made on more modest budgets. The effects were underwhelming.
Maybe it's because the tone was way off. Casual f-bombs and vocal protagonists don't belong in the HL universe. And when is this actually supposed to take place?
It doesn't offend me as a fan, but it strikes me as pointless.

Not really that amazing to me.

Sure, it is good for a few guys who made this on such a small budget, but if it came to the big stage with this acting and what not, it would get roasted.

I thought it was fucking great! Then again I like short fan films better than the bloated pieces of shit big studios push out.

This lighting was really annoying. It made me feel like there weren't any sets, just a bunch of people floating around in nothing.

P.S. Thanks

Mr.K.:
Shouldn't have made the suit shinny, but other then that it's bloody brilliant work, even Gordon speaking is fine.

I totally agree and yeah, no shiny suits.

It looked great, but it has the same problem as most fan made short films...it was boring as shit.

They pick a really insignificant part of the overall story and focus on that without showing anything on a macro level.

I get that short films are shot on small budgets, but i wouldn't watch it more than once, and i wouldn't watch a feature length film shot in that kind of boring detail.

bafrali:
Did Freeman just speak? YOU FOOLS!!! What have you done? Prepare for unforeseen conseqences.

Seconded!!!

Staff at Black Mesa are supposed to either recognize him or be in too deep a pile of shit to bother about his identity!

Still, not crap. It looked pretty slick but it wasn't very skillfully edited or shot, the acting wasn't bad though...

denseWorm:

bafrali:

Seconded!!!

Staff at Black Mesa are supposed to either recognize him or be in too deep a pile of shit to bother about his identity!

Still, not crap. It looked pretty slick but it wasn't very skillfully edited or shot, the acting wasn't bad though...

Sometimes a hug says much more than words

Fangirled there for a couple minutes. Awesome work!

bafrali:
Sometimes a hug says much more than words

Interesting take on Freeman!

... I had trouble liking that because I was a snob, but if I suspend my snobbery I can definitely find it within myself to think that was pretty cool

Casual Shinji:
I know there's a lot of work put into fan films like this, but whenever I seen them I can't help but find them very unbelievable and rather ridiculous.

They seem to be special effects experts first, and writers last. As with a lot of these Half Life videos (and indeed, most fan films of games) the creators seem to love wearing the costumes more than anything else, which doesn't make for a particularly entertaining movie. I'm sure they had a lot of fun making it though.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here