Wing Commander Creator Unveils Star Citizen

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

What I liked: sense of scale, dynamic thrust model on the ships. Neat.

What I didn't like: Roberts' defensive crouch, talking about "gamers like myself" and being "sad and angry that PC gamers get no respect," and the bashing of console, mobile, and casual gaming. You'd think a pompous throttle jockey like Chris would be using something other than an XBOX 360 controller to control his spaceship.

I'm one of those twits who think graphics are rather nice as they are, and that pursuing the visual "fidelity of a film" will only bring diminishing returns. This isn't 1992. Does watching our spaceman scratching his ass at 6:54 in the video really make you feel more immersed in the action?

Wing Commander 3 on the 3DO is a joy because it cuts all the crap and loads to the action very quickly. Wing Commander 1 and 2 on the PC, for all their "hardcore" elements, are lightweight arcade blasters by today's standards. A return to form for a fun, story-based space shooter with modern graphics would be a blast. I would prefer to play such a game on console or mobile.

This pitch stinks of Battlecruiser 3000 A.D.'s hubris and bloat. His crowdfunding moneygrab to cut through the "politics and noise of a publisher" strikes me as a self-indulgent ego stroke.

This isn't the Wing Commander rebirth that I want to play. I won't be contributing.

Ickabod:
Isn't this just basically EVE?

Hell no, watching the conference session today the game is true blue space sim but with an mmo component attached. There is no leveling in the game and promises to be skill based instead of stat based ie you have to actually fly your plane instead of relying on percentages.

He described the single player aspect of it as tour of duties players sign up for, this part can be played offline and is played ala wing commander. After your done with that you can then go online and play ala freelancer/privateer in a persistent mmo universe. He plans to have mission packs in the vein of the WC1 & 2 games available as downloadable expansions so if your sick of privateering you can hop back into single player mode whenever there is new content for it.

In mmo aspect he explained that combat encounters are generated by dropping opposing players into instances when paths intersect or when you intercept someone. Then you have the option to invite friends or put out a general call for back up. Instead of XP it seems cash will be the main reward which is then used to buy new ships, weapons and equipment. He suggested that ships would be highly customizable and there will be no such thing as a fixed build, he also alluded that you will be able to eventually pilot capital class ships and have it act as a player hub.

One of the most interesting aspects he talked about are the stealth updates that will add new systems to the galaxy map. The lucky players you finds the jump point would then have to navigate it (my guess without going off course) and then be able to sell the nav data to established NPC vendors. The player then gets to name the system as it gets integrated into the game universe.

Overall very ambitious but it seems that he already has alot of the framework down. The trailer and all images are being generated by the in game engine and there appears to be no transition time when moving from one location to another even when launching into space.

One downside though, it appears that your going to need a monster machine to play it though.

Yes, yes, make another mmo game, excellent.
F you game designing world.

Scars Unseen:

Akalabeth:
I was interested until I got to the words "massively multiplayer".

Then I quit reading

Should have kept reading. "Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want. Playable offline or online, co-op with friends, you sign up for a tour of duty with the UEE fleet, manning the front lines, protecting settlements from Vanduul warbands."

Yes, you're correct in that it supports "single player action" but how is that defined? There are single player quests in WoW and so forth is there not? Are they comparable to a full-fledged single player game in terms of quality? Don't think so. So . . . I would be very skeptical about any single player component integrated into a multiplayer game.

My time would probably be better spent playing through the WC games on GOG.com

I only discovered Freelancer a few years back, and absolutely loved it. If his new project can get anywhere close to that scope (and put in the dynamic economy that was removed prior to FL's release), it will be a monumental achievement indeed.

kyoodle:
Did the opening not come across as a little self important or petty to anyone? It feels like a long time since I've seen someone roll out the 'pc gaming is dead' banner and to pose as some kind of symbol that the platform is alive and well was smug enough to mar the news for me.

Nothing against you kyoodle just using your post to illustrate something here. Why the hell do gamers have to get all uppity and be so damned sensitive whenever a dev says something that describes his or her feelings on something. This isnt politics and they have no reason to be PC and stroke anyone's ego. The guy feels that space sims and PC game development has been pretty much ignored in favour for a more homogenous console development and he's not wrong.

So it has irked him and he has a bug to bear, as a developer himself he has the right to bitch about it since its bread and butter and publishers only seem to be interested in pushing the same crap mmo model and CoD shooter these days.

Akalabeth:

Yes, you're correct in that it supports "single player action" but how is that defined? There are single player quests in WoW and so forth is there not? Are they comparable to a full-fledged single player game in terms of quality? Don't think so. So . . . I would be very skeptical about any single player component integrated into a multiplayer game.

Alot of assumptions here, but if you get the chance to watch the watch the presentation it will give you a better understanding of what he's trying to do. The single player aspect is akin to the wing commander experience with branching missions. I dont doubt that individual tours will not be as extensive or lengthy as playing WC's full campaign but he stated that there will be regular expansions to it as the universe develops. My guess is that single player missions will be like bookmarks to various in game events such as when a certain area is uncovered there might be a single player campaign to pacify it. I wonder how extensive the voice acting will be in it though.

Akalabeth:

Scars Unseen:

Akalabeth:

Then I quit reading

Should have kept reading. "Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want. Playable offline or online, co-op with friends, you sign up for a tour of duty with the UEE fleet, manning the front lines, protecting settlements from Vanduul warbands."

The website (currently overwhelmed) or the presentation ( http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=roberts_space_industries_gdc_panel20121010 ) explain the Single Player and Multiplayer in greater detail, looks promising.

Ickabod:

Ickabod:

Oh hell I hope so.

What some of the people who are complaining about this being an MMO aren't thinking of is that the old apace combat/trading games all play out pretty much like sandbox MMOs already. And since there will be no RPG level structure in Star Citizen, the only grind will be for money to upgrade/replace your ship with. Hell, if the game ends up like this guy is pitching it, you could create your own private server and play in the entire game with just you(and a few friends if you want).

SWTOR was(in my opinion) a bad game because it was a Frankensteinian merge of WoW(an MMO) and KOTOR(a story-focused single player RPG). There was no way to create that with out compromising one or both sides of the equation. This game doesn't have to sacrifice a thing because it isn't trying to be WoW or any other MMO. It's just taking the idea of a space sim sandbox to a logical evolution. After watching the GDC video, I'm convinced that this is going to be a great game, and that's saying something because I typically loathe MMOs.

Just look at these features and tell me that this man isn't writing a love letter to the space sim genre:

• HOTAS, rudder pedal and Oculus Rift support
  • functional maneuvering thrusters that can be disabled in combat by enemy fire or intentionally to perform manual maneuvers(think Starbuck in the BSG mini-series)
  • ships ranging from single man fighters to carriers that can carry other player ships and have multiple people manning the turrets and handling secondary systems in combat
  • Wing Commander style mission trees that can be played online or offline
  • Deep economy for Freelancer style space trading game
  • Highly detailed ships(ranging from 300K to 2M polys) with all the appropriate parts moving as they should(gun turrets, maneuvering thrusters, missles bays, etc)
  • detailed functional cockpits(the pilot activates panels and switches as you do things)
  • modding and private servers
  • frequent content microupdates planned that take into account player impact on game universe
  • exploration element where players can discover new jump points(which you then gets named after you) and sell the nav data to other players

And that's just what I remember from watching the video last night. Regardless, this is definitely a man who is courting the niche instead of buying into the "you must appeal to everyone!" mantra that publishers have been shoving around. Basically the complete opposite of Resident Evil 6 as portrayed in the latest Jimquisiton.

Instantly sold on this one. Let's just hope the combat doesn't devolve into space jousting.

HNGH.

Offline single-player and a persistent, MMO-style online world? All without any sub-fee? Made by the Lead Designer/Producer/Director/Programmer behind Wing Commander? Fuck me, where's my money so I can throw it at my computer screen.

My money! TAKE ALL MY MONEY!

Hopefully this starts a revival of the space sim genre, and we can get FREESPACE 3!

Love love love the genre, love the concept, badly want to play. But a ratty old pc means this game will probably end up costing me 3k after I upgrade and get peripherals. How can I justify that to the minister for finance?

"Massively-Multiplayer persistant universe servers" SHIT, There goes long-term library title like my Wing commander and x-wing/tie-fighter games.

It's not free-to-play model is it? Oh god, I hope not.

Wait, what was the golden ticket and "special package" for people who signed up on the first site for if we can't log in?

SomeLameStuff:

Hopefully this starts a revival of the space sim genre, and we can get FREESPACE 3!

Considering that the creators of Freespace went on to make Saints Row I'm sure that would have potential for some funny starship design. Like gigantic flying purple dildos in space... :D

Nurb:
"Massively-Multiplayer persistant universe servers" SHIT, There goes long-term library title like my Wing commander and x-wing/tie-fighter games.

Wait, what was the golden ticket and "special package" for people who signed up on the first site for if we can't log in?

The words "free-to-play" we're not mentioned anywhere and since the crowdfunding happening right now is basically a very early pre-order system with access to alpha and beta versions of the game (similar to what Minecraft did) etc. I'm pretty sure you'll just have to buy a physical copy of the game when it comes out. Pretty much like Guild Wars plus modding and offline mode I guess. Or just like Freelancer did it ten years ago.

The Golden Ticket is just for show. You'll get the title "Founder" and gold decals for your ship in the finished game.

RoonMian:

SomeLameStuff:

Considering that the creators of Freespace went on to make Saints Row I'm sure that would have potential for some funny starship design. Like gigantic flying purple dildos in space... :D

Nurb:

The words "free-to-play" we're not mentioned anywhere and since the crowdfunding happening right now is basically a very early pre-order system with access to alpha and beta versions of the game (similar to what Minecraft did) etc. I'm pretty sure you'll just have to buy a physical copy of the game when it comes out. Pretty much like Guild Wars plus modding and offline mode I guess. Or just like Freelancer did it ten years ago.

The Golden Ticket is just for show. You'll get the title "Founder" and gold decals for your ship in the finished game.

I'm fairly certain that the citizen's cards are also an in game status that you can otherwise gain through military gameplay. Sort of a Starship Troopers "Service Guarantees Citizenship" thing. So there's that.

RoonMian:

True, I'd love the guildwars model, but I'm just paranoid since Mechwarrior Online and Hawken are F2P and they're just too "grindy"

There are no login screens on the site now though, so I don't know how they'll give out the decals, unless they retain the info

Scars Unseen:

I'm fairly certain that the citizen's cards are also an in game status that you can otherwise gain through military gameplay. Sort of a Starship Troopers "Service Guarantees Citizenship" thing. So there's that.

Yeah, but the golden ticket benefits are purely cosmetic as the golden ticket itself was free. The citizenship cards have some kind of actual effect I'd guess.

Nurb:

True, I'd love the guildwars model, but I'm just paranoid since Mechwarrior Online and Hawken are F2P and they're just too "grindy"

There are no login screens on the site now though, so I don't know how they'll give out the decals, unless they retain the info

For the golden tickets and the gold decals etc. you're too late anyway. You would have had to sign up yesterday for those. I'm not sure how they are going to do it but I used the same eMail adress for signing up for the golden ticket and for pledging the money so here's hoping that will work out somehow :D

saleem:

Alot of assumptions here, but if you get the chance to watch the watch the presentation it will give you a better understanding of what he's trying to do. The single player aspect is akin to the wing commander experience with branching missions. I dont doubt that individual tours will not be as extensive or lengthy as playing WC's full campaign but he stated that there will be regular expansions to it as the universe develops. My guess is that single player missions will be like bookmarks to various in game events such as when a certain area is uncovered there might be a single player campaign to pacify it. I wonder how extensive the voice acting will be in it though.

Tar Palantir:

The website (currently overwhelmed) or the presentation ( http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=roberts_space_industries_gdc_panel20121010 ) explain the Single Player and Multiplayer in greater detail, looks promising.

Yeaaaah . . . now I watched the presentation.
Obviously the ships look gorgeous, and the game sounds pretty cool, but from a single player perspective I don't think there'll be any real incentive for me to play it.

The 42nd Squadron thing for example, sounds basically like an intro SP quest.
And while there will be more SP stuff added, I think it's a safe bet that some multiplayer investment will be required to play those games. Multiplayer may even need to be required for the SP if he's comparing it to Dark Souls multiplayer component.

From a purely single player perspective, I just don't see how the game will be worth my time.

I barely have time to play games, I don't really want to go and grind levels for new equipment for my ship or whatever. I don't want to haul tin cans from A to B so I can afford a mark 2 laser or whatnot. I personally, just to want to play through an experience, enjoy it, and be done with it.

So the game sounds great, for the people who are into this sort of game, but, I very much doubt I'll be one of those people.

I cant believe this.. You mean all those articles about PC gaming being dead on this and other sites were wrong ?? /sarcasm off

PC gaming is in its infancy folks. Never stop believing!

I think I'm going to have to dust of the old stick and brush up on skills, so I can be ready in time for release.

Oh hell yeah! Color me interested!

Akalabeth:

saleem:

Tar Palantir:

Yeaaaah . . . now I watched the presentation.
Obviously the ships look gorgeous, and the game sounds pretty cool, but from a single player perspective I don't think there'll be any real incentive for me to play it.

The 42nd Squadron thing for example, sounds basically like an intro SP quest.
And while there will be more SP stuff added, I think it's a safe bet that some multiplayer investment will be required to play those games. Multiplayer may even need to be required for the SP if he's comparing it to Dark Souls multiplayer component.

From a purely single player perspective, I just don't see how the game will be worth my time.

I barely have time to play games, I don't really want to go and grind levels for new equipment for my ship or whatever. I don't want to haul tin cans from A to B so I can afford a mark 2 laser or whatnot. I personally, just to want to play through an experience, enjoy it, and be done with it.

So the game sounds great, for the people who are into this sort of game, but, I very much doubt I'll be one of those people.

I'm not sure how what you are saying is a "safe bet" when he said the exact opposite in the presentation. Here are the facts that he said about the Squadron 42 experience:

• Squadron 42 is the single player military "Wing Commander" experience
  • You can play it offline
  • You can bring in friends for "boss fights" (with mention made of Demon Souls for inspiration)
  • When new Squadron 42 content is released, you can play it by "reenlisting"
  • You can earn credits and citizenship, which can be used in the persistent poertion of the game
  • Absolutely zero mention is made of the multiplayer content affecting the singleplayer content

I could understand your concern if it had some basis, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't. Hell, I can tell you didn't even really pay attention to the presentation since you went on to talk about grinding levels when he explicitly said that there were no levels to grind when someone asked him about a comparison to SWTOR. As for your other complaint... I'm not sure how much more emphasis is needed here. How can multiplayer be required to complete a mission mode that can be played offline?

I mean do what you want, but I just don't see where you are pulling these complaints from, especially after you said you watched the presentation video.

This really sounds crazy ambitious. A little too ambitious but then again, it is the guy that gave me the Wing Commander series, which was one of my favorite game series, growing up. I'll be keeping my eye out for that one. I'm gonna hope he can deliver.

But for those that like to take a diss at EVE, remember that it's a 10 year old game that's run by an independent corporation that have more or less always focused on respecting their players. Their original dream was to create a tactical space simulator that snowballed from there; first person perspective was never how they originally visioned their game.

Yes, this game promises to have allot of very cool features that would make it far more exciting to play than EVE, PROVIDED that it can deliver on those promises, but you have to be blind to not see that Chris Roberts isn't borrowing allot of concept from what made EVE successful.

I mean, come on! A player driven universe with an open, manipulatable market? High security space where the law is the law vs low security space where you'll have better business opportunities but have to watch out for players that have decided to become pirates? You can become a trader, a miner or an industrial magnate? This is how Chris describes his game on his main site. It's like reading through a bullet points for why EVE is the game for you.

No, Star Citizen is a game that promises to be allot more than EVE is but don't be disrespectful towards games that are clearly inspired by it.

Zachery Gaskins:
EVE Online is World of Warcraft in space. Space populated by thousands of Randian assholes.

Oh sure and I'm certain you won't have to deal with anyone that you wouldn't like in this game. I mean, a game that offers the very same amount of player freedom that EVE promises? Yeah, I'm sure no assholes will ever think about trying to screw you over.

Product Placement:
This really sounds crazy ambitious. A little too ambitious but then again, it is the guy that gave me the Wing Commander series, which was one of my favorite game series, growing up. I'll be keeping my eye out for that one. I'm gonna hope he can deliver.

But for those that like to take a diss at EVE, remember that it's a 10 year old game that's run by an independent corporation that have more or less always focused on respecting their players. Their original dream was to create a tactical space simulator that snowballed from there; first person perspective was never how they originally visioned their game.

Yes, this game promises to have allot of very cool features that would make it far more exciting to play than EVE, PROVIDED that it can deliver on those promises, but you have to be blind to not see that Chris Roberts isn't borrowing allot of concept from what made EVE successful.

I mean, come on! A player driven universe with an open, manipulatable market? High security space where the law is the law vs low security space where you'll have better business opportunities but have to watch out for players that have decided to become pirates? You can become a trader, a miner or an industrial magnate? This is how Chris describes his game on his main site. It's like reading through a bullet points for why EVE is the game for you.

No, Star Citizen is a game that promises to be allot more than EVE is but don't be disrespectful towards games that are clearly inspired by it.

Zachery Gaskins:
EVE Online is World of Warcraft in space. Space populated by thousands of Randian assholes.

Oh sure and I'm certain you won't have to deal with anyone that you wouldn't like in this game. I mean, a game that offers the very same amount of player freedom that EVE promises? Yeah, I'm sure no assholes will ever think about trying to screw you over.

Actually this game is borrowing quite heavily from Privateer and Freelancer, both games that Chris Roberts made before EVE existed. The reason they sound similar is that all of those games are basically descended from Elite. If you read up on what the original intention for Freelancer was, it ends up sounding almost exactly like Star Citizen.

Still not going to say anything against EVE though. I'd just prefer a persistent space sim to a massive tactical 4X game.

Nurb:

From the site's FAQ:

What's Your Online Revenue Model?

Not a subscription but not free-to-play; rather a hybrid of these two business models. Much like ArenaNet's Guild Wars 2, you will purchase the PC game and pay no recurring subscription charges. Your purchase of the game will allow you to play in the universe for free, forever! The game will offer a variety of virtual items for purchase with in-game credits allowing you to spend money on items that offer more ways to express yourself, provide convenience, and customize your experience. But the cardinal rule regarding "in-game purchases" is: Players who spend money purchasing in-game credits will have no advantage over players who spend time!
Everything is bought with in-game credits. These purchases won't offer any advantage over someone who puts in the "game-time" to earn the same amount of credits. You might ask, why have "in-game" purchases at all? This allows us the resources to support the game on an ongoing basis as well as continually add content.

So do you want my money, or shall I just post you my credit card?

Scars Unseen:
This game doesn't have to sacrifice a thing because it isn't trying to be WoW or any other MMO. It's just taking the idea of a space sim sandbox to a logical evolution.

Indeed. Just look at Freelancer. One of the last great space sims, and it did exactly this with multiplayer servers hosting persistent worlds. Obviously not on the same scale given the limits of private servers and the game itself, but exactly the same in principle. I really don't see why anyone would complain about it. The one thing space sims have always tried to do is give the feel of an actual living world where you're just one among many pilots all doing the same sort of thing to try to get ahead. The obvious answer is to stop just trying to give the impression of that and actually do it.

The only real problem I see is PvP. I love Eve, but there's no doubt that kind of unfettered PvP is not for everyone. It will be interesting to see how they plan on limiting that end of things while not making it feel too forced when you're allowed to shoot some things and not others.

OHSMHOAUSDHGAG SOMEBODY GET ME A MOTHERFUCKING TABLE TO FLIP! this is awesome. i hope they manage to pull it off.

A pity they are not on Kickstarter. Backing a large number of projects, I do NOT want yet another site/forum to keep track of. With Kickstarter at least all the updates come from a single source.

Grouchy Imp:

Akalabeth:

Then I quit reading

Pretty much what I thought. There is a mention of single player missions that will be "integrated into the online game upon completion", but that doesn't sound all that promising. Depends how it's handled I suppose.

Colour me interested - but not optimistic.

Agreed plus with the words massively multiplayer that means that is the focus. So the interest died before it could be born. Now I'll go back to playing X3 for my space sim fix.

Scars Unseen:

I'm not sure how what you are saying is a "safe bet" when he said the exact opposite in the presentation. Here are the facts that he said about the Squadron 42 experience:

• Squadron 42 is the single player military "Wing Commander" experience
  • You can play it offline
  • You can bring in friends for "boss fights" (with mention made of Demon Souls for inspiration)
  • When new Squadron 42 content is released, you can play it by "reenlisting"
  • You can earn credits and citizenship, which can be used in the persistent poertion of the game
  • Absolutely zero mention is made of the multiplayer content affecting the singleplayer content

I could understand your concern if it had some basis, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't. Hell, I can tell you didn't even really pay attention to the presentation since you went on to talk about grinding levels when he explicitly said that there were no levels to grind when someone asked him about a comparison to SWTOR. As for your other complaint... I'm not sure how much more emphasis is needed here. How can multiplayer be required to complete a mission mode that can be played offline?

I mean do what you want, but I just don't see where you are pulling these complaints from, especially after you said you watched the presentation video.

Have you played Dark Souls? I personally have not, despite owning it, but from what I understand some of the bosses are practically impossible without help from other players. So when he talks about friends joining in for boss fights ala Dark Souls that raises alarm bells.

But the main thing is, that this is a multiplayer, persistent world game. The 42nd Squadron is like an introduction into the game, to give people an introduction and some in-game value. In that way it sounds akin to other "Story-centric" quests like that in SWTOR that limit a player to a spawn area before they can go out and mingle. I doubt that campaign alone will be worth the 60 dollar or whatever it'll cost price point.

Of course he also said, that they'll be adding small mini campaigns and that sort of thing all the time, playable in single player. But again, beyond the first initial 42nd Squadron introductory campaign, will any of those single player campaigns be playable without participating in the multiplayer content? Or do I need to do things, within the world, before I'm able to participate within those SP missions?

For example,
let's say for the sake of example that the 42nd Squadron is 12 missions long.
So someone starts, plays it, has fun.
Then later on, two more SP campaigns are added, both 5 missions in length (a number he mentioned).
Now the question is, can a person who just finished the 42nd Squadron plays those new campaigns? Or will the ship and equipment they have at the end of the intro be inadequate to the task?
Will they need to participate in the multiplayer content of the game in order to play them?

That's my point. I don't think it'll be possible to play any SP missions beyond the initial 42nd Squadron without also participating in the online persistent world. And, I don't think that initial 42nd Squadron will be worth the price point.

Therefore the game is not for me.
I'm not really complaining about the game by the way, I'm sure it'll be great for those looking for this sort of thing, but I just want single player. Nothing more.

Yes. All my money. All of it.

We can only assume all the good generic names were taken.

Damn I wish I had the funds to support this.
I do believe that a eventual comparison is to made between this and Infinity not with EVE.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here