Wing Commander Creator Unveils Star Citizen

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Nicolaus99:
A pity they are not on Kickstarter. Backing a large number of projects, I do NOT want yet another site/forum to keep track of. With Kickstarter at least all the updates come from a single source.

I'll let Chris, himself, handle explaining why he's not using Kickstarter:

Chris Roberts' FAQ:

Why Not Kickstarter?

We love Kickstarter. We've backed projects on their site and believe
everyone in the development community owes a debt to Kickstarter for putting crowd funding on the map, and making it legitimate. But for us the ultimate goal of crowd funding is about connecting the "crowd" directly with the creators with as little friction as possible. By building a crowd funding component directly into our site we can insure everyone who wants to back the game can - we provide multiple payment options to make sure that wherever in the world you are there is an option that can work for you. It means you just have one destination to support the project, read updates, and most importantly participate with other members of the community! All on a site that's designed around the game universe being created, providing the least friction possible. Kickstarter, as great as it is, can't deliver this experience, which is why we've decided to go it alone.

In order to donate on Kickstarter, you need an Amazon account (and a Credit Card, obviously). Apparently Chris finds that too limiting and allows you to make a direct donation to him, with a Credit Card or Paypal.

At any rate, I personally don't think it's a good idea to ignore the reputation that Kickstarter has developed over the time. His funding campaign is now dependent on people making the trek to his website, meaning that they are already aware of his project. With Kickstarter, you're gonna get far more exposure to people that aren't connected to the Game Development grapevine, that feeds us this type of information. In the long run, I don't think he's gonna get as many donations from his personal campaign, as he would have on Kickstarter. For a project of this magnitude, he's gonna need every single dime he can get his hands on.

Product Placement:

Nicolaus99:
A pity they are not on Kickstarter. Backing a large number of projects, I do NOT want yet another site/forum to keep track of. With Kickstarter at least all the updates come from a single source.

Chris Roberts' FAQ:

Why Not Kickstarter?

everyone in the development community owes a debt to Kickstarter for putting crowd funding on the map, and making it legitimate. But for us the ultimate goal of crowd funding is about connecting the "crowd" directly with the creators with as little friction as possible. By building a crowd funding component directly into our site we can insure everyone who wants to back the game can - we provide multiple payment options to make sure that wherever in the world you are there is an option that can work for you. It means you just have one destination to support the project, read updates, and most importantly participate with other members of the community! All on a site that's designed around the game universe being created, providing the least friction possible. Kickstarter, as great as it is, can't deliver this experience, which is why we've decided to go it alone.

In order to donate on Kickstarter, you need an Amazon account (and a Credit Card, obviously). Apparently Chris finds that too limiting and allows you to make a direct donation to him, with a Credit Card or Paypal.

At any rate, I personally don't think it's a good idea to ignore the reputation that Kickstarter has developed over the time. His funding campaign is now dependent on people making the trek to his website, meaning that they are already aware of his project. With Kickstarter, you're gonna get far more exposure to people that aren't connected to the Game Development grapevine, that feeds us this type of information. In the long run, I don't think he's gonna get as many donations from his personal campaign, as he would have on Kickstarter. For a project of this magnitude, he's gonna need every single dime he can get his hands on.

On the other hand, they won't have to give a share of the donations to Kickstarter...

Product Placement:

Nicolaus99:

Chris Roberts' FAQ:

Why Not Kickstarter?

Amen to that. Though, I've seen a lot of Kickstarters offer a Paypal option on the side, particularly after X successful Kickstarter times out so late comers can also join in.

Tar Palantir:
On the other hand, they won't have to give a share of the donations to Kickstarter...

I was thinking about pre-addressing this point but then thought that people would surely figure out that I'm saying that the amount of money Chris stands to lose, by not being discovered by potential backer, is higher than the 5% cut that Kickstarter takes (plus the 3-5% Amazon+Credit card company cut (depending on what kind of Credit cut you're using)). If his project would get only one extra dollar, for every 10 dollars that he's gonna get, by only running the campaign on his site, he would offset that amount. I believe he's gonna lose out on more money than that. Kickstarter gets a huge amount of traffic, nowadays, by people looking at sponsoring projects that they're interested in and anyone who concerns himself over such a small cut is being ridiculously shortsighted. Are you saying that Chris is that short sighted?

I also didn't want people to think I was insinuating that Chris was being greedy, for concerning himself over such a small cut.

Nicolaus99:
I've seen a lot of Kickstarters offer a Paypal option on the side, particularly after X successful Kickstarter times out so late comers can also join in.

Which renders Chris' concern about people's choices for funding his project even more moot. There's nothing preventing him from running it on a popular crowd funding site, where people expect to find projects like these, while maintaining a paypal donation on his own site and advertising it over there.

Product Placement:

Tar Palantir:

I was thinking about pre-addressing this point but then thought that people would surely figure out that I'm saying that the amount of money Chris stands to lose, by not being discovered by potential backer, is higher than the 5% cut that Kickstarter takes (plus the 3-5% Amazon+Credit card company cut (depending on what kind of Credit cut you're using)). If his project would get only one extra dollar, for every 10 dollars that he's gonna get, by only running the campaign on his site, he would offset that amount. I believe he's gonna lose out on more money than that. Kickstarter gets a huge amount of traffic, nowadays, by people looking at sponsoring projects that they're interested in and anyone who concerns himself over such a small cut is being ridiculously shortsighted. Are you saying that Chris is that short sighted?

I also didn't want people to think I was insinuating that Chris was being greedy, for concerning himself over such a small cut.

Nicolaus99:
I've seen a lot of Kickstarters offer a Paypal option on the side, particularly after X successful Kickstarter times out so late comers can also join in.

Which renders Chris' concern about people's choices for funding his project even more moot. There's nothing preventing him from running it on a popular crowd funding site, where people expect to find projects like these, while maintaining a paypal donation on his own site and advertising it over there.

I've never discovered a kickstarter worth funding via the kickstarter site as everything is clogged down under a pile of shit that will never be realized.

This is all over the internet and I have a hard time believing that someone willing to donate to a game would be able to miss it.

Now their site is overloaded but that's a different problem.

I guess we all miss a good Space sim, of the likes of IWar2. I know that we have the X series, but they're just not the same thing. I really hope that Star Citizen will be a success. As a fan of Wing Commander, 2 years seems like a long long time :)

Almost half way there now! It will probably hit the 1 Million pledges mark by tomorrow night.

Already a big fan site for it here as well http://forums.starcitizenbase.com/

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or