Windows Store Won't Sell Adult-Rated Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Microsoft got into massive trouble for having IE installed by default on windows, that's not a good sign for them being able to lock the store down.

And as pointed out Apple haven't yet and they are as paranoid and controlling as they get.

.....why?

What are you thinking, Microsoft? That is so much potential money that you're gleefully tossing out the window. I would kinda sorta understand if this only applied to ESRB games, but the PEGI system is so hilariously terrible that you're cutting yourself off from basically every AAA game.

I don't get it. You've been in the gaming business for almost 11 years. You know how much money people will spend on those games. But you decide not to sell them because think of the European children.

We need Gaben to make the GabeOS!

Please Microsoft, continue shooting yourself in the foot; it is hilarious when you do!

*sigh* It's vista all over again, except, somehow, even worse.

Monsterfurby:
Bill Gates is probably turning in his... uh... well, he probably already has engineers on the task of building him a proper grave that will be comfortable despite all the turning he will have to do.

How, in the age of ever greater freedom and USER CHOICE does Microsoft think the user wants anything other than a solid, stable platform to run THEIR CHOICE of software on as an OS?

Dude, Gates has been out of Microsoft's shoes for years. If you want to blame someone, blame Steve Ballmer. Gate is far too busy running poker tournaments and donating money for cancer and polio research to care.

If anything, Ballmer's policies are far more craven than anything Gates ever did. Anyone remembers how he'd seriously vowed to "fucking kill" Google over how that widdle search engine was costing him an engineer?

Microsoft doesn't care about its users anymore. It cares about its market share, and the only way to sustain its presence is to remove personal freedoms from the user base. Or so it thinks. It'll work for the casual crowd, who's likely to go "Oh, I wasn't going to buy that silly thing with guns and boobs anyway, I'm looking for a snazzier Solitaire!", but the rest of us?

We've got Steam, Origin and GoG. Microsoft can run its OS like a Fascist state all it wants, it won't stop serious gamers from doing any of the following things:
a) pirate games
b) install one of these download services on Windows 8
c) switch to Linux and/or Wine
d) buy the game in retail and install it to Windows 8 on a disc

I'm firmly convinced Baller's going to steamroll Microsoft into oblivion before the end of the next decade. The only segment of their market I see as having the slimmest chance of survival is the Xbox division.

Zombine3D:
We need Gaben to make the GabeOS!

Well, Steam is already turning into a decent armchair front-end for living room gamers and they've started offering creation-related apps instead of just games - who's to say they won't pack a word processor in the future, or work out a deal with Adobe or The GIMP's makers?

I can think of no good reason for Microsoft to do this, I thought they wanted to compete, not make their competitors look good?

Just...what? Why are you providing more incentive for people to ignore Windows 8? Why are you not making any goddamn sense?

GamingAwesome1:
I can think of no good reason for Microsoft to do this, I thought they wanted to compete, not make their competitors look good?

I'm afraid that maybe they DON'T want to compete.

If they add this store into Win8 as just a prototype that isn't expected to be very successful, but then release Win9 as a locked system with this as the only allowed content source, then every PC software sale will go through them, whether we like it or not.

Entitled:

GamingAwesome1:

I'm afraid that maybe they DON'T want to compete.

If they add this store into Win8 as just a prototype that isn't expected to be very successful, but then release Win9 as a locked system with this as the only allowed content source, then every PC software sale will go through them, whether we like it or not.

But the only outcome of that would not be everyone moving to Windows 9 and Microsoft gains dominance, the outcome would be everyone fucking ignores Win 9 like the plague, a totally locked system would be something most people who develop on PC would be wary of (As they are with Win 8) and as such they wouldn't develop for those platforms.

They're already doing a pretty good job of getting people to ignore Win 8 by locking adult games. The only way I see this going is not market dominance but total failure.

Seems to me like someone high up in Microsoft saw the term "adult game" and jumped to a conclusion.

Mr.Tea:
The amount of misleading press Windows 8 gets is absolutely fucking staggering... I know there's this tiny one-line acknowledgement in the second to last paragraph of how much this actually matters, but then why make an article about it???

I cannot believe how thoroughly confused everyone is by Windows RT...

I'll just say it once more in the hope a single person learns something:

Windows 8 does not force you to use the store; Windows RT does.

Windows RT is for tablets.

Example: Windows RT is to Windows 8 as iOS is to Mac OS X

I was going to mention how at least one of these Windows 8-bashing articles finally pointed out "It should be noted that users of Windows 8 can still freely install and play these games on the operating system," but you've clearly beat me to it.

Don't like where things are going? The root cause of all this is the explosive success of the iPad. So, are you part of that problem? You don't want Microsoft to make your desktop environment a tablet? Well, would you ever buy a Windows tablet-only OS? Windows RT is as close as you'll get. As an added bonus, it even comes with Office 2013.

You don't want a Windows tablet OS? Microsoft basically knows this. They've been trying to make a tablet market for over a decade with no real success. They know the only way their tablet OS is going to work is if they integrate it with the traditional Windows.

Anyway, buy Windows 8 (not RT, Windows 8). I'm serious, buy it and use it in a way that works for you, because otherwise, you're not sending any sort of telemetry usage data to Microsoft and the only information they're going to get about how Windows 8 is used is going to come from the people who spend all day on Facebook and looking at their e-mail or camera photos and don't care about the desktop. If the bulk of Windows 8 users are normal people using Windows 8-style apps and who rarely or never use the desktop, then maybe Windows 9, whenever it comes, will be nothing but a tablet.

Sticking with Windows 7 or earlier because you don't like the idea of a mix of tablet and desktop or because Newell says Windows 8 is bad because Windows Marketplace will be a direct competitor is like not voting in the election because you think the choice between Obama or Romney is a hopeless lose/lose situation.

GamingAwesome1:

But the only outcome of that would not be everyone moving to Windows 9 and Microsoft gains dominance, the outcome would be everyone fucking ignores Win 9 like the plague, a totally locked system would be something most people who develop on PC would be wary of (As they are with Win 8) and as such they wouldn't develop for those platforms.

They're already doing a pretty good job of getting people to ignore Win 8 by locking adult games. The only way I see this going is not market dominance but total failure.

Yeah, because someone like EA and Ubisoft would ignore it just out of principle. Or because random offices and households would refuse to buy it if they don't run shady unauthorised software.

Most gamers are already playing on locked-down systems anyways, most ordinary users are already used to selecting from a pre-assembled list of apps, and most publishers are used to dealing with a first-party distributor like Apple, Sony, or Nintendo. They WANT that shit, not having to deal with viruses, or compatibility, just have a nice set of icons for the basic programs that they bought from a catalog, the few that they will use anyways.

The ones this would screw over, would be the indie game developers, the modders, the pirates, the hackers, the artists, and generally the kind of skilled niche people who will know how to crack it, or learn to move to linux, so they won't mmake as much fuss as they should, either.

poiumty:
Gaming: a hobby for kids. An outlook now supported fully by Microsoft.

Makes me sad.

Seconded. Well, probably time to join Gabe Newall in the fight against this new generation of Big Brother and look into getting a Linux machine when I get a new PC.

Dinasis:
Sticking with Windows 7 or earlier because you don't like the idea of a mix of tablet and desktop or because Newell says Windows 8 is bad because Windows Marketplace will be a direct competitor is like not voting in the election because you think the choice between Obama or Romney is a hopeless lose/lose situation.

Did you just compare Win8 with the presidential election?

This is just wrong. I don't see any reason to buy Windows 8 at all. I neither have a tablet PC nor do I want to use this crappy windows store. There is no advantage for me as a customer. So why should I buy? So I can show them that I'll even buy crappy operating systems?

If I buy I lose money if I don't buy safe money. That's not a lose/lose situation like your presidential elections. Oh and btw. don't you have any other parties or candidates you can vote for? I don't live in the US but it's hard to believe that there are no minor political parties you could vote for - you know the kind of people that give a shit about your rights? If someone told me either to vote for obomney or rombama or take a bullet to the head I'd say SHOOT!

Dinasis:
snip

Or, you know, switch OS and tell the developers to friggin migrate as well, if they want your money. Create the market, and they'll come.

Well, half of those games are steamworks, so even if they allowed adult games, those games would not be on Windows store.

Windows Store Won't Sell Adult-Rated Games = Windows Store Won't See Adult-Rated Cash.

Need we elaborate any further on this?

Sounds like Microsoft has decided it is allergic to European money. That's a lot of top tier games right there, games that MS could have had a taste of. Now, they've basically guaranteed that people won't be using their marketplace for game purchases. Steam will remain dominant for the foreseeable future.

Entitled:
Most gamers are already playing on locked-down systems anyways, most ordinary users are already used to selecting from a pre-assembled list of apps, and most publishers are used to dealing with a first-party distributor like Apple, Sony, or Nintendo. They WANT that shit, not having to deal with viruses, or compatibility, just have a nice set of icons for the basic programs that they bought from a catalog, the few that they will use anyways.

Ugh... This.
I remember in the late 90s how we thought that in the future EVERYONE would be computer literate. Well that shit never happened and most people are still completely clueless. Thanks to Apple's success over the last few years, Microsoft have finally realised that regular consumers are perfectly fine with imposed limitations and restrictions.

The future sucks.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
Windows Store Won't Sell Adult-Rated Games = Windows Store Won't See Adult-Rated Cash.

Need we elaborate any further on this?

Pretty much this. Microsoft sees that it could make a large amount of cash easily but it's turning it down. So rare you see a company turn down a chance to make a huge profit.

OK. So whoever made that decision probably didn't understand the difference between American and European ratings systems for games. A lot of people(i.e., non-American people who aren't children) won't use it, and they'll either continue to be a really shitty service, or they'll fix the stupid rule, which they will soon realize was a mistake.

In the meantime, who cares? Steam already exists, so this shouldn't actually be a problem for anyone who isn't in charge of the Windows Store.

Mr.Tea:
The amount of misleading press Windows 8 gets is absolutely fucking staggering... I know there's this tiny one-line acknowledgement in the second to last paragraph of how much this actually matters, but then why make an article about it???

Wrong. Windows RT is the ARM build of Windows 8.

Apart from the artificial limitation to TIKFAM (The Interface Formerly Known As Metro) apps there is technically no difference between Win 8 and Win RT. And while IOS is based on bits of OSX these days they have as much in common as Android and Slackware do.

MS would certainly prefer WinRT to be used on tablets, but there are x86-based tablets coming out that will run the full version of Win 8 and an OEM could slap WinRT on one of the various designs for ARM desktops that are floating about.

nodlimax:

Dinasis:

Did you just compare Win8 with the presidential election?

This is just wrong. I don't see any reason to buy Windows 8 at all. I neither have a tablet PC nor do I want to use this crappy windows store. There is no advantage for me as a customer. So why should I buy? So I can show them that I'll even buy crappy operating systems?

If I buy I lose money if I don't buy safe money. That's not a lose/lose situation like your presidential elections. Oh and btw. don't you have any other parties or candidates you can vote for? I don't live in the US but it's hard to believe that there are no minor political parties you could vote for - you know the kind of people that give a shit about your rights? If someone told me either to vote for obomney or rombama or take a bullet to the head I'd say SHOOT!

Thank you.

Only a fool would vote for Romney or Obama, or someone that clearly does not give even an ounce of shit about civil liberties OR decreased spending OR decreasing our insane military presence throughout the rest of the world.

And, hell, to carry the analogy offered by the other guy, only a (relative) fool would buy Windows 8, or at least someone that doesn't give a damn about open platforms being combined with ease-of-use and blah blah blah, which, granted, isn't nearly as important as civil liberties, but yeah.

I'm not throwing more money at Microsoft for a shitty product.

Where's that picture on the Internet of the stereotypical 'full retard'

>_>

Andrew_C:

Apart from the artificial limitation to TIKFAM (The Interface Formerly Known As Metro) apps there is technically no difference between Win 8 and Win RT. And while IOS is based on bits of OSX these days they have as much in common as Android and Slackware do.

MS would certainly prefer WinRT to be used on tablets, but there are x86-based tablets coming out that will run the full version of Win 8 and an OEM could slap WinRT on one of the various designs for ARM desktops that are floating about.

Yeah... How in the hell does that make me wrong?

WinRT is for tablets: Fact.
WinRT is locked to the Store: Fact.
Win8 is not locked to the Store: Fact.

Of course anything with an x86 chip (such as Intel's medfield) has the option of using the "full" Win8, but WinRT is designed for tablets. Yes it's for ARM; Win RT was formerly known as Windows On ARM or WOA. What part of that invalidates what I said??

WinRT is the "stripped" version of Win8 without a desktop environment and it is locked exclusively to running apps from the Windows Store. Fact [1].
Also, I don't care how much code iOS and OS X share, iOS is Apple's OS for ARM, locked to running apps from the App Store. The comparison is more than valid.

[1]

-"[...]WOA does not support running, emulating, or porting existing x86/64 desktop apps. [...] Consumers obtain all software, including device drivers, through the Windows Store and Microsoft Update or Windows Update."

-"While not the topic of this post, we do want to assure you that, when a consumer buys a WOA PC, it will be clearly labeled and branded so as to avoid potential confusion with Windows 8 on x86/64. The PC will come with the OS preinstalled, and all drivers and supporting software. WOA will not be available as a software-only distribution, so you never have to worry about which DVD to install and if it will work on a particular PC.

WOA PCs will be serviced only through Windows or Microsoft Update, and consumer apps will only come from the Windows Store, so you never have to worry if a program will run because you are not downloading or installing from a DVD outside of the store experience. A WOA PC will feel like a consumer electronics device in terms of how it is used and managed. For example, as previously detailed, the new refresh and reset functionality will be available, and for WOA this provides the equivalent of a "clean install" or imaging."

Link

No small surprise they want to block it off. As another said, you can still use Steam on Windows 8. You MUST use the app store to get stuff on their tablets, which is why I won't be using one of their tablets. From my perspective, they are far far far behind the curve on this. My buddy bought a Windows phone, and while it's a nice piece of technology, there is nothing on it because no one will develop for MS's mobile platform. All the fans say it was just a test bed for an app store, but they lost customers by using them as guinea pigs. My buddy won't buy one anytime soon.

While I'm ranting, I'm just about done with tablet or phone games, they are mostly complete shit, a lot of them aren't even worth the dollar they cost. No one really makes legitimate gamer games for them, and while there are examples of them getting it graphically done, the games themselves are horrible. I found a fun FPS style game that is impossible on touch screen controls. I found another that was pretty sweet, until I had to spend real money to progress in the game. And ultimately, that game was shallow as fuck and had very few tricks up it's sleeve. I think about all my favorite games and they can never be represented on a phone. And yes, while it may take time to get something like controls right, in regards to what any other gaming platform does, they are moving at the slowest pace in respect to progressing positively.

/end rant

Back OT: No biggie, they will support Windows 7 for a few iterations more of Windows. And by the time they really start to restrict the system, Linux will be ready for gamers.

*deleted*

Keith K:

Assuming the Win7-based desktop environment will always be there in Win8+ is beyond naive. It's akin to MS DOS in Windows 3.0. Eventually it will be phased out. Then software like Steam will not be permitted on Windows systems because it's a third-party store.

At that point the Sherman Anti trust act kicks them square in the balls.
This was a battle alredy fought over Internet explore. and Microsoft lost
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft
What makes you think Washington(the state) would not force this issue?

Mr.Tea:

Andrew_C:

Yeah... How in the hell does that make me wrong?

WinRT is for tablets: Fact.
WinRT is locked to the Store: Fact.
Win8 is not locked to the Store: Fact.

Of course anything with an x86 chip (such as Intel's medfield) has the option of using the "full" Win8, but WinRT is designed for tablets. Yes it's for ARM; Win RT was formerly known as Windows On ARM or WOA. What part of that invalidates what I said??

WinRT is the "stripped" version of Win8 without a desktop environment and it is locked exclusively to running apps from the Windows Store. Fact [footnote]

-"[...]WOA does not support running, emulating, or porting existing x86/64 desktop apps. [...] Consumers obtain all software, including device drivers, through the Windows Store and Microsoft Update or Windows Update."

-"While not the topic of this post, we do want to assure you that, when a consumer buys a WOA PC, it will be clearly labeled and branded so as to avoid potential confusion with Windows 8 on x86/64. The PC will come with the OS preinstalled, and all drivers and supporting software. WOA will not be available as a software-only distribution, so you never have to worry about which DVD to install and if it will work on a particular PC.

WOA PCs will be serviced only through Windows or Microsoft Update, and consumer apps will only come from the Windows Store, so you never have to worry if a program will run because you are not downloading or installing from a DVD outside of the store experience. A WOA PC will feel like a consumer electronics device in terms of how it is used and managed. For example, as previously detailed, the new refresh and reset functionality will be available, and for WOA this provides the equivalent of a "clean install" or imaging."

Also, I don't care how much code iOS and OS X share, iOS is Apple's OS for ARM, locked to running apps from the App Store. The comparison is more than valid.

I have to respectfully disagree. TIKFAM is built on the same on Win32 foundations that everything else in Windows is built on. Just because user applications are not allowed to directly access them on WinRT doesn't meant they are not there. I imagine that if Win8/winRT takes off, hacking WinRT (and Visual Studio) so it can directly run Win32 apps complied for ARM will be the first port of call.

Also i was saying that IOS and OSX share very little code now, little more than Android does with a typical and rather conservative Linux distro. Whereas Win8 and WinRT are the same codebase. WinRT is just locked down further.

So they're saying they can't be bothered promoting parental controls better as an alternative? It just feels like not many are aware or know how to use them efficiently and helps to cox those interested.

Maybe they should try that at least.

Gordon_4:
Since you can still install Steam and Origin on a Win8 computer, this story isn't worth the web space it's taking up.

Plus Desura and Green Man Gaming, and GamersGate and GOG don't even require a client.

Having actually installed a Metro Bypass and a Start Button/Menu app I can say Windows 8 will NOT be shit, once you fix it yourself. Look to MS to fix this in a Service Pack when they realise the Soundforge Start Button App is the most popular piece of software installed on their new OS.

so unless you're interested in purchasing some questionable titles from the late 90s, you should have nothing to worry about.

Fairy Nights by publisher Milky House sounds... interesting.

Also, Time Stripper!!!!!

Raiyan 1.0:
I still don't understand how MS managed to make the most successful console this generation with this kind of idiocy.

Simple, they hate PC users with a passion[1] and they think that Apple's view on what iPhone users use their phone for is an accurate view on how people use a computer.

"Epic Facepalm"

Mr.Tea:

Congratulations, join the 'Windows 8 will not kill PC gaming yet' club along with me. The only issue I see with what you're saying is that iOS is based off of Mac OS X, not the whole OS on a phone. And Apple has been taking some very interesting decisions lately, making their OS more like their phones.

nodlimax:
Serious question:
Is there currently any reason at all to even consider getting the new Windows 8 OS?

I mean come on, I haven't seen anything remotely interesting in Windows 8 - so should I change? I don't like the new style and the system doesn't seem to have anything I really need.

The switch from Windows XP to 7 was logical and necessary because of the advanced technologies (32bit to 64bit switch and some other stuff), but what does Win8 do for me as a user?

No. I ran Windows 8 in a VM (hooray for VirtualBox) and only see Windows 7 with some very, very weird design choices. The only advantage that Windows 8 has over 7 is that it's faster. But even the speed goes out of the equation when you consider the myriad Linux distributions out there optimized for speed AND user friendly at the same time (Lubuntu and Xubuntu[2] comes to mind).[3] Not to mention that Windows 8 only beat Windows 7 on startup and shutdown times; they both are equal while you're using them.

So no, Win8 isn't that impressive speaking from a user standpoint. I may end up getting it to revive my really old computer and give it to my mom or someone else who isn't computer savvy, but for me, I'm happy with my Win7/Ubuntu dual boot for now.

bringer of illumination:
Who in the flying fuck cares?

Microsoft. They care because they see Apple in their nightmares taunting them over their shitty phone OS.

Windows 8 is looking to be just another proof of the Windows release cycle of "Shit-Okay-Shit-Okay-Shit"

Not quite. It goes:

Windows 3.1-Good
Windows 95-Bad
Windows 98-Bad
Windows 98 SE-Good
Windows ME-Piece of shit
Windows 2000-Most stable OS at release
Windows XP-Shit at first...
Windows XP SP1-...Then the most stable after Win2000
Windows Vista-Really bad (not ME levels)
Windows Vista SP1-Passable (still pretty shit)
Windows 7-Excellent

Who in the hell even asked for a damn app store for Windows?

Microsoft. Once again, Microsoft is damn scared of Apple.

People will be perfectly capable of buying games the same way they used to, unless Microsoft chooses to ban all other methods of game acquisition, which seems a wee bit nlikely

People are panicking because they seem to be going in that direction. When and if this appears in Win9, that'll be the day when I throw out my computer and start living in the Dark Age of Technology.

OT you say? That was the OT. Specifically the last paragraph.

[1] They really hate us geeks but they apparently seem to be very enterprise friendly.
[2] I'm currently writing this on a machine with Ubuntu and Xfce on it. Yay for speed.
[3] I'm not going to advertise Linux as I'm just stating the facts. I still like Windows, just not 8.

WHY did I spend the time reading this?
I use a Mac!

drthmik:
WHY did I spend the time reading this?
I use a Mac!

To laugh at Microsoft's stupidity?

Edit: That's why I read articles like this.

GAH! All the Windows 8 ignorance is driving me mental! The Marketplace will be for 'app-style' games, because it's simply an app store, it's not a competitor to Steam or Origin or whatever.

GAH!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or