Windows Store Won't Sell Adult-Rated Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Gordon_4:
Since you can still install Steam and Origin on a Win8 computer, this story isn't worth the web space it's taking up.

/thread right there.

Seriously, anybody who thinks that a game not showing up on the Windows Store is going to have a profound effect on it's sales is delusional.

I guess MS just gave up on trying to compete with Steam.

Megacherv:
GAH! All the Windows 8 ignorance is driving me mental! The Marketplace will be for 'app-style' games, because it's simply an app store, it's not a competitor to Steam or Origin or whatever.

GAH!

Did you read the comments at all? It's not only about the store.

Windows 8 is a useless piece of software. No one needs it. MS can try again with Win9, but Win8 won't be successfull (except for the forced marketing through new PCs). Even from a business point of view Windows 8 is useless. Of the people I know only 1 really wants Windows 8. All the others want to keep using Windows 7 or WinXP (yes, there are even people still using XP)

IamLEAM1983:

Dude, Gates has been out of Microsoft's shoes for years. If you want to blame someone, blame Steve Ballmer. Gate is far too busy running poker tournaments and donating money for cancer and polio research to care.

Which is precisely why I said "Bill Gates would be turning in his grave - if he had one" - it's not that he is to blame but that those currently running the company he has built are prone to decisions that might just damage it more than they help.

Monsterfurby:

IamLEAM1983:

Dude, Gates has been out of Microsoft's shoes for years. If you want to blame someone, blame Steve Ballmer. Gate is far too busy running poker tournaments and donating money for cancer and polio research to care.

Which is precisely why I said "Bill Gates would be turning in his grave - if he had one" - it's not that he is to blame but that those currently running the company he has built are prone to decisions that might just damage it more than they help.

Oh - well, my apologies, then. I must've misinterpreted you.

You're right, though. Seeing Microsoft turn into this protectionist, controlling and fearful... thing it's turning into scares me. It scares me as a console and PC gamer, and it scares me as an everyday user of productivity tools.

I mean, the nineties saw the birth of the "Microsoft is Evil!" trope, but honestly? I miss those days where the most crooked thing Redmond's guys did was break antitrust laws. Now, they're poised to turn copyright into a debilitating concept rather than a means to get the artists and developers paid, and they're holding back on content just to appease the impressionable masses who look at an M-rated game and think "Won't you please think of the CHILDREN?!"

The average gamer is in his thirties, now. I think it's fairly safe to assume that for some of us, the medium turning as a means to get our freak on is inevitable. Microsoft is only denying itself a decent market share for the sake of appeasing some of its right-wing supporters.

nodlimax:

Did you read the comments at all? It's not only about the store.

Windows 8 is a useless piece of software. No one needs it. MS can try again with Win9, but Win8 won't be successfull (except for the forced marketing through new PCs). Even from a business point of view Windows 8 is useless. Of the people I know only 1 really wants Windows 8. All the others want to keep using Windows 7 or WinXP (yes, there are even people still using XP)

Have you used Windows 8 yourself yet?

EDIT: Typo

RicoADF:
Havw you used Windows 8 yourself yet?

Why should I? I usually inform myself about software (What's new? What has been enhanced? and so on). Up until now I have seen one or two minor enhancements related to the task manager. The only thing that got me excited was that the hardware sound was supposed to be back. But this stuff isn't enough to make me pay 100€ for this.

So you're asking me if I have used Win8. Have you used it? If yes, then tell what's so "awesome" about this OS compared to Win7 that I need to buy this?

I just want to state again that I only switched from WinXP to Win7 for practical reasons (see previous posts). I don't buy stuff just so I have new stuff. If there isn't a practical reason I won't buy (yeah I know that makes me a bad "consumer" - but i'd rather consider myself a thinking customer).

Yes, because only children use computers. I understand wanting to put in parental protections that would allow parents to keep their kids from buying certain games. I do not understand taking games off the market because... why?

Ah, so Windows 8 bundles an online software marketplace competitor in with its operating system. Joy! (And possibly lawsuits.)

It's sort of perversely amusing to observe the increasing number of markets in which Microsoft's game plan seems to be not just to be an also-ran, but an also-also-ran. Games For Windows, Zune, tablets, cell phones...

nodlimax:

RicoADF:

Why should I? I usually inform myself about software (What's new? What has been enhanced? and so on). Up until now I have seen one or two minor enhancements related to the task manager. The only thing that got me excited was that the hardware sound was supposed to be back. But this stuff isn't enough to make me pay 100€ for this.

So you're asking me if I have used Win8. Have you used it? If yes, then tell what's so "awesome" about this OS compared to Win7 that I need to buy this?

I just want to state again that I only switched from WinXP to Win7 for practical reasons (see previous posts). I don't buy stuff just so I have new stuff. If there isn't a practical reason I won't buy (yeah I know that makes me a bad "consumer" - but i'd rather consider myself a thinking customer).

Ahh, you see, I have, and still do. It's only a 25 upgrade, and it runs much better than Win7. There'll be a fair more programs becoming Metro apps because it's easier to get your program promoted and out to users.

Megacherv:
Ahh, you see, I have, and still do. It's only a 25 upgrade, and it runs much better than Win7. There'll be a fair more programs becoming Metro apps because it's easier to get your program promoted and out to users.

1. The information about performance is contradicting. Some people say it runs fast, some say only the boot runs faster, some say it's about the same. For me speed while working in windows 7 isn't an issue. If you mean something else wiht "it runs much better", please elaborate.

2. I don't like the metro interface. I neither have a tablet PC nor do I have a touchscreen and as far as I'm concerned big icons aren't an advantage while working and playing with M+K. And I'm not very fond of that MS store because as previously stated by other users as well this could go into a very bad direction if this is supported enough (third party not allowed on windows anymore for example).

So I'm still not impressed...

nodlimax:

Megacherv:

1. The information about performance is contradicting. Some people say it runs fast, some say only the boot runs faster, some say it's about the same. For me speed while working in windows 7 isn't an issue. If you mean something else wiht "it runs much better", please elaborate.

2. I don't like the metro interface. I neither have a tablet PC nor do I have a touchscreen and as far as I'm concerned big icons aren't an advantage while working and playing with M+K. And I'm not very fond of that MS store because as previously stated by other users as well this could go into a very bad direction if this is supported enough (third party not allowed on windows anymore for example).

So I'm still not impressed...

1) It boots much faster than Win7, and I've had no issues when using Win8 (e.g. hanging), whilst I still did with Win7.

2) This is something that really pisses me off.

Win8 is not Metro based. It has a Metro 'overlay', as it were, that effectively runs 'on top of' the desktop UI. Windows will never be closed-off, they would be fucking idiots to do that and lose all their users to Linux. They're clever people, that's why they're worth billions of dollars.

The start menu is much more intuitive once you actually learn that you can organise it freely and only pin what programs you want to it.

I never really even use it, I pin stuff that I need to the taskbar just like I did in Win7.

If you think that Win8 is going to be irrelevant, just take a look at all the devices that are being made for Win8, and you'll see that hardware manufacturers are taking it very seriously.

Seriously, the first time I saw this menu I had to throw up and even now I find it disgusting...

That alone is a reason not to buy it....

nodlimax:

RicoADF:

No I haven't used it, and I'm reserving judgement until I do. Considering its avaliable for free atm you might as well have a look (customer preview version), I plan to do so when I can be bothered to set it up on a spare PC. I'm just saying don't pass judement until you've actually used the software, everyone has their own views and just because some reviewers hate it and others like it doesn't mean you'll have the same views as them either way. I've read articles in both for and against, most of the against is the cosmetic Metro/whatever they change it to next.

EDIT: Oh and it's not $100 (well your currency), its $15-20 if you upgrade from XP/Vista/7.

Megacherv:
They're clever people, that's why they're worth billions of dollars.

If memory serves, they're worth billions of dollars because IBM-PCs came bundled with MS-DOS. That's not what made them so big, though. It was the fact that you could buy an IBM-compatible clone and install MS-DOS on it (off of which Microsoft made 100 or so dollars).

The start menu is much more intuitive once you actually learn that you can organise it freely and only pin what programs you want to it.

Not a very intuitive UI if you have a PC with a mouse and keyboard.

If you think that Win8 is going to be irrelevant, just take a look at all the devices that are being made for Win8, and you'll see that hardware manufacturers are taking it very seriously.

They took Vista seriously, so that's no real indicator if it's going to be relevant (seeing as how many people used that "downgrade to XP" option for Vista bundled products).

Aah, Microsoft: Violating standards faster than they can lower them.

Well there's this, and then there's:

read more

Not that it's all bad, mind you. Just enough so the whole thing is starting to smell rotten. Boy was I glad when they announced that Windows 7 would get a DirectX 11.1 update when W8 is released.

Then there's also Internet Explorer 10. Woohoo.

I hope the Windows Store crashes and burns as a result of this. It's the only way Microsoft will learn anything.

Eh, I couldn't care less. It's Microsoft's loss - if they choose to not sell certain games, they're the only ones who are going to suffer for it. Steam will continue to rule the PC market for the foreseeable future.

Ok, I'm still going to get a Windows 7, later. In fact, I just might buy two! Nothing's changed.

Matthi205:

Megacherv:
They're clever people, that's why they're worth billions of dollars.

If memory serves, they're worth billions of dollars because IBM-PCs came bundled with MS-DOS. That's not what made them so big, though. It was the fact that you could buy an IBM-compatible clone and install MS-DOS on it (off of which Microsoft made 100 or so dollars).

Not a very intuitive UI if you have a PC with a mouse and keyboard.

They took Vista seriously, so that's no real indicator if it's going to be relevant (seeing as how many people used that "downgrade to XP" option for Vista bundled products).

I just take one look at that and think "What the heck is that!?" That interface defies all logic.

Megacherv:
GAH! All the Windows 8 ignorance is driving me mental! The Marketplace will be for 'app-style' games, because it's simply an app store, it's not a competitor to Steam or Origin or whatever.

GAH!

You are wrong. The Windows Marketplace will be the only way to install software on Windows RT (unless you have an MSDN subscription and explicit permission from Microsoft to sideload apps). People who buy devices with Windows RT are also going to want to play games. Do you really forsee Microsoft approving a Steam, Origin or D2D app?

poiumty:
Gaming: a hobby for kids. An outlook now supported fully by Microsoft.

Makes me sad.

Yeah, I needed to explain to my mum that gaming is a legitimate hobby, same as reading or watching Pride and Predjudice.

6000th Post!

So what the OP is saying is that Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot, by limiting what they offer relative to already established competitors (ie. Steam)?

It's very rare that a corporation will doom themselves so predictably or this far in advance (I think last time was Sony with the PSVita), and while I have no ill-will for M$, the store, at least as far as games go, is going to get no support from developers. It'll have like two Zynga games max.

This feature, along with "Apps" are really geared toward tablets anyway. Windows Desktop users will just use normal applications like normal humans.

Andrew_C:

Megacherv:

GAH!

You are wrong. The Windows Marketplace will be the only way to install software on Windows RT (unless you have an MSDN subscription and explicit permission from Microsoft to sideload apps). People who buy devices with Windows RT are also going to want to play games. Do you really forsee Microsoft approving a Steam, Origin or D2D app?

Yes, WindowsRT which is only supported on ARM devices which won't support anything on Steam in the first place, which makes it irrelevant in the whole 'Steam/Origin/etc. app' argument.

*WARNING: Cynical/Conspiracy hat on* Well Games for Windows Live showed perfectly clearly that Microsoft would much rather people gamed on an x-Box than on a PC (As every copy sold, they get a cut of, not sure they do with GfWL), and yet, the PC market's growing in spite of their efforts. Maybe this is them going "Oh, so you still won't buy an x-Box? Fine, let's make it more awkward for you to game on PC", but then I'm wildly speculating here.

Korzack:
*WARNING: Cynical/Conspiracy hat on* Well Games for Windows Live showed perfectly clearly that Microsoft would much rather people gamed on an x-Box than on a PC (As every copy sold, they get a cut of, not sure they do with GfWL), and yet, the PC market's growing in spite of their efforts. Maybe this is them going "Oh, so you still won't buy an x-Box? Fine, let's make it more awkward for you to game on PC", but then I'm wildly speculating here.

If that really is true - and knowing Microsoft that could perfectly well be the case - Most Gamers will at some point switch to Linux. Biggest reason for this is that MS OS's from Win8 on (if Ballmer is in charge) will get even worse than Win95 in terms of stability and worse than Win8 in terms of User Interface (if it's more convenient to just use xterm/bash[the Linux command line] then something is clearly wrong with it). Second to that reason is this: WINE's performance is actually pretty good. Most games only ask for moderately better hardware than you'd need on a Windows system (2X2.6GHz instead of 2X2.3GHz or an ATi HD5550 instead of an HD5450). Provided you can get the DirectX .dlls copied over to the WINE folder from your previous windows installation, games without OpenGL support run quite well (but with reduced performance).

GfWL? Whoever programmed that should go to jail for it. Also, XBOX360 controller restricted games: who came up with that bad an idea (the same guy that did GfWL?)?

Megacherv:

Yes, WindowsRT which is only supported on ARM devices which won't support anything on Steam in the first place, which makes it irrelevant in the whole 'Steam/Origin/etc. app' argument.

Well, Valve have ported Steam and their games to OSX and are porting to Linux, so they are quite capable of porting to ARM. Just because no WinRT ARM builds of any major game exist now, doesn't mean the couldn't exist.

"We at Microsoft would like to announce we plan to refuse to carry the majority of our own library of games in the Windows Store"

good job, dumbasses

Andrew_C:

Megacherv:

Well, Valve have ported Steam and their games to OSX and are porting to Linux, so they are quite capable of porting to ARM. Just because no WinRT ARM builds of any major game exist now, doesn't mean the couldn't exist.

ARM isn't just a different OS it's an entire different CPU architecture, which would require an entire re-compilation and likely large re-write of a lot of games. Epic have UE3 working on WinRT but that's about it. WinRT is made to be a portable tablet OS, not as a proper desktop-style machine. That's like using your phone as a server.

Megacherv:

Andrew_C:

Megacherv:

ARM isn't just a different OS it's an entire different CPU architecture, which would require an entire re-compilation and likely large re-write of a lot of games. Epic have UE3 working on WinRT but that's about it. WinRT is made to be a portable tablet OS, not as a proper desktop-style machine. That's like using your phone as a server.

I know that. There is no reason why Windows on ARM would require more effort than porting to OSX, WinRT has DirectX so you don't have to worry about adding OpenGL support.

And Unreal already supports officially supports ARM with IOS and Android. As does Unity. And both have announced support for Windows RT.

And I will repeat myself. Just because MS would prefer Windows RT to be used on Tablet devices does not mean it is crippled (other than being limited to Windows Store apps). You appear to be confusing Windows RT with Windows Phone 8. They are seperate OS's

As to your comment about servers, there are already several companies marketing ARM based low cost low power servers. While Windows Server 2012 doesn't support ARM, If the market grows Microsoft WILL jump on the bandwagon

Andrew_C:

Megacherv:

Andrew_C:

I know that. There is no reason why Windows on ARM would require more effort than porting to OSX, WinRT has DirectX so you don't have to worry about adding OpenGL support.

And Unreal already supports officially supports ARM with IOS and Android. As does Unity. And both have announced support for Windows RT.

And I will repeat myself. Just because MS would prefer Windows RT to be used on Tablet devices does not mean it is crippled (other than being limited to Windows Store apps). You appear to be confusing Windows RT with Windows Phone 8. They are seperate OS's

As to your comment about servers, there are already several companies marketing ARM based low cost low power servers. While Windows Server 2012 doesn't support ARM, If the market grows Microsoft WILL jump on the bandwagon

Okay, I'm going to put thisin simple terms: WinRT not having Steam/etc. is irrelevant. WinRT is meant as a tablet OS that runs on ARM devices and is meant to be a competitor to Android tablets and the iPad. It is not meant to be used as a proper desktop OS. Win8 Pro is the option if you want a desktop-replacement tablet, which will have to be x86 tablets, which won't be confined to the Metro UI.

Also, I will reiterate to everyone: Microsoft will not make their main desktop OS closed. What they're doing here is having an ecosystem. If Microsoft closed off Windows in its main version, they would lose all their users to Linux, which they don't want, and they know that that's what will happen.

EDIT: Actually, back to you, do you understand the difference between an OS and a CPU architecture

Megacherv:

Okay, I'm going to put thisin simple terms: WinRT not having Steam/etc. is irrelevant. WinRT is meant as a tablet OS that runs on ARM devices and is meant to be a competitor to Android tablets and the iPad. It is not meant to be used as a proper desktop OS. Win8 Pro is the option if you want a desktop-replacement tablet, which will have to be x86 tablets, which won't be confined to the Metro UI.

Also, I will reiterate to everyone: Microsoft will not make their main desktop OS closed. What they're doing here is having an ecosystem. If Microsoft closed off Windows in its main version, they would lose all their users to Linux, which they don't want, and they know that that's what will happen.

EDIT: Actually, back to you, do you understand the difference between an OS and a CPU architecture

And I will also reitirate. People who buy Windows RT devices will also want to play games (Or should I say, ARM powered devices running Windows RT?).

And yes, I really do think that Microsoft would close off their main OS if they could get away with it. Registered developers can get permission to sideload apps in Windows RT, which in Microsoft's mind would take care of the issue of companies needing to run specialized applications on their PC's. If you think Microsoft gives a damn about the consumer market, apart from as a wedge into the corporate market, think again.

And yes I understand the difference between a CPU architecture and an Operating system.

VMS is an Operating System. Unix is an Operating System. OSX is an Operating System. BSD is an Operating System. Windows is an Operating System (many would disagree). OS/360 is an Operating System. OS/2 (EComstation these days) is an Operating System. Believe it or not, but Plan 9 From Bell Labs is also an Operating System.

MIPS is a CPU Architecture. IA32/x86 is a CPU Architecture. IA64 (AKA Itanic) is a CPU Architecture. x86_64 is a different CPU Architecture from IA 64. PowerPC is a CPU Architecture. SPARC is a CPU Architecture. ARM is a CPU architecture. Did I mention VAX was a CPU architecture as well?

EDIT: And Linux has never been a serious threat to Windows on the desktop and never will be. People are moving away from Windows on the desktop, but they are moving to OSX and Tablet devices, not Linux desktops.

Gordon_4:
Since you can still install Steam and Origin on a Win8 computer, this story isn't worth the web space it's taking up.

I think you're missing the point.

The fact that their games will not be available in the Windows store is a huge marketing drawback since it's going to be the dominant operating system in the average home.

This could easily sway developers to pull back the content to get the lower rating.

What this means to a game exactly I don't know.
Could just mean we'll have no more pointless sex scenes in games like Mass Effect.
Maybe it'll be a reduction in gore or certain adult themes, hard to say.

Andrew_C:

Megacherv:

And I will also reitirate. People who buy Windows RT devices will also want to play games (Or should I say, ARM powered devices running Windows RT?).

And yes, I really do think that Microsoft would close off their main OS if they could get away with it. Registered developers can get permission to sideload apps in Windows RT, which in Microsoft's mind would take care of the issue of companies needing to run specialized applications on their PC's. If you think Microsoft gives a damn about the consumer market, apart from as a wedge into the corporate market, think again.

And yes I understand the difference between a CPU architecture and an Operating system.

VMS is an Operating System. Unix is an Operating System. OSX is an Operating System. BSD is an Operating System. Windows is an Operating System (many would disagree). OS/360 is an Operating System. OS/2 (EComstation these days) is an Operating System. Believe it or not, but Plan 9 From Bell Labs is also an Operating System.

MIPS is a CPU Architecture. IA32/x86 is a CPU Architecture. IA64 (AKA Itanic) is a CPU Architecture. x86_64 is a different CPU Architecture from IA 64. PowerPC is a CPU Architecture. SPARC is a CPU Architecture. ARM is a CPU architecture. Did I mention VAX was a CPU architecture as well?

EDIT: And Linux has never been a serious threat to Windows on the desktop and never will be. People are moving away from Windows on the desktop, but they are moving to OSX and Tablet devices, not Linux desktops.

Who the fuck buys a tablet for hardcore gaming? You can't get WinRT as a standalone OS, you can only get it buy buying a WinRT tablet.

Also, do you know the difference between Intel/AMD and ARM architecture

Megacherv:

[snip]
Who the fuck buys a tablet for hardcore gaming? You can't get WinRT as a standalone OS, you can only get it buy buying a WinRT tablet.

Also, do you know the difference between Intel/AMD and ARM architecture

Who's talking about hardcore gaming? You are the one who's been going on about tablets not being used for gaming when that is self-evidently inaccurate. One only has to look at the Apple and Google App Stores.

And yes I do know the difference between Intel and ARM. And I am aware that they are totally different architectures. But unless you are writing assembly code that isn't particularly important. Whether you understand is another question.

EDIT: Are you trying to say that there is no ARM based hardware powerful enough to run a current-gen AAA title? I won't argue there, but I will point out that that is more of a GPU and RAM issue than a CPU issue, and that ARM based devices are getting more powerful all the time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here