Pokémon App Lets You Catch 'Em All in AR

Pokémon App Lets You Catch 'Em All in AR

Catch Pokémon for Black/White 2 without playing the game.

One of my coworkers recently informed me that there are now, in total, approximately 650 Pokémon to catch. Assuming you haven't dutifully followed both versions of every entry in the series, how long would it take to actually "catch 'em all?" While sifting through the games could realistically take you hundreds of hours, Nintendo has devised a way to streamline catching the diverse monsters - in its latest installment, at least. A new 3DS app entitled Dream Radar allows you to catch Pokémon in augmented reality, then transfer them into your copy of Pokémon Black/White Version 2.

The thrust of the app is fairly simple: Dream Radar uses the built-in cameras of the 3DS to analyze your real-world environment and insert Pokémon into it. You can then catch these critters, store them in your 3DS, and transfer them into Black/White 2 when you boot the game up. There's no comprehensive list of which Pokémon can appear yet, but a few rare creatures will show up, as well as some with nonstandard moves or hard-to-find items. Furthermore, if you want to catch Legendary monsters, simply insert a copy of Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver or HeartGold into the system while on the hunt.

The app is available now in the 3DS eShop and retails for $2.99. Although it probably won't have much appeal for those who don't own Black/White 2, it seems like a cheap enough way to bolster your collection if you're already intent on sinking a couple dozen hours into catching the darned things. You may not get all 649 Pokémon through the app, but every hunter has to start his collection somewhere.

Source: Eurogamer

I picked it up for the hell of it.

Have to say, it's not that bad. Kind of getting tired of all the Swablu I'm getting though. Not entirely sure how to unlock more Pokemanz.

That actually sounds really cool, I can finally capture Pokemon from previous generations that are not in the new game instead of importing them.

Well assuming it's the same as the Japanese version, there is a list of which Pokemon can be found in the game. 26 by my count.

http://www.serebii.net/dreamradar/pokemon.shtml

And currently this game is the only way to obtain the Therian Formes of Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus.

Incarnate Forme
imageimageimage
Therian Forme
imageimageimage

Finally, why is this article accompanied by a picture of shiny versions of the legendary beasts? I mean yes they are Pokemon, but it seems like a random choice.

I have no reason to get this now, but when I get Black or White 2 I might pick this up. It looks interesting at any rate.

I'd like to see this taken a step forward - Pokemon battles in AR!

You know I've always wondered if it was possible to catch and hold all the Pokemon on one game. It's just that the storage system for Pokemon on the computers has a limit on the number of slots for Pokemon and that that limit is drastically less than the amount of Pokemon there are in existance.

Nile McMorrow:
You know I've always wondered if it was possible to catch and hold all the Pokemon on one game. It's just that the storage system for Pokemon on the computers has a limit on the number of slots for Pokemon and that that limit is drastically less than the amount of Pokemon there are in existance.

Actually...BW and BW2 have PCs that can eventually hold up to 720 Pokémon. Granted it starts with just a capacity of 240, but that increases based on how many you acquire.

Well, I must say this looks pretty friggin' sweet. Makes me wanna get back into Pokémon. Now, why the hell haven't I bought a 3DS already...

*checks wallet*

:|

Right...

Nile McMorrow:

I know for a fact that it was very much possible to have every single Pokemon in the boxes in the third and fourth Generation of Pokemon (I know that, because that's what I did, in numerical order, I even left empty spaces for event-Pokémon), though I'm not so sure if it was possible in the first and second Generation.

I want this, but I doubt I can get the boyfriend to get his on his 3DS (he has one, but I don't, plus the weirdo he is, he claims to hate Pokemon).

When I read app, I though smart phone, but since I have a perfectly good DS and do not want 3D. I am so disappointed.

This sounds pretty cool.
When will you bring us hologrammed pokemons so we can battle out in the streets??!!

This actually sounds sorta fun even without B/W2 and even more so if you actually have the games.

Still, isn't it kinda mean that Gamefreaks now wants money for playtesting gimmicks they want to put in the 3DS editions of Pokemon?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here