Nintendo Yanks 1080p Claim For New Super Mario Bros. U

Pages PREV 1 2

Pebkio:

In all honesty, I'm a little depressed to see people still defending Nintendo. They're posting links to games that are announced to run in 1080p. They just can't see the irony of posting those links in a thread about a game they USED to be able to link to as 1080p.

"Well, okay," they say to themselves, "they just decided not to run this game in 1080 because they were happy with they're at. We're certainly not going to see this happen with all the other games we're expecting at launch. In fact! They had always said New Super Mario Bros. U wasn't going to be 1080p. Yeah, they haven't disappointed us at all! We love you, Nintendo, with all of our hearts..."

How many more times are they going to have to let you down before you stop believing in them? Because I'm pretty sure we're on letdown 1396...

You know the last time I didn't feel disgusted at Nintendo? It was with their Gamecube that I still own and play on occasion.

Until I hear otherwise, and until Activision stops proclaiming it to the high heavens, I will believe what Nintendo has told me. If other companies such as Activision start saying "Hey, we aren't gonna make it 1080p anymore, nor are we upscaling it from 720p to 1080p", then I will start to complain. As it stands, only Nintendo is using 720p, while everyone else is using 1080p.

MikeWehner:
Nintendo Yanks 1080p Claim For New Super Mario Bros. U

With the Wii U launch fast approaching, Nintendo deletes an important bullet point for its flagship platformer.

After previously pushing 1080p high-definition support for the upcoming New Super Mario Bros. title on Wii U, Nintendo has quietly removed this claim from the game's official website. In a section which previously read "Experience Mario like never before... in full 1080p HD," the mention of 1080p has been deleted and replaced with the much less specific "high definition."

With the original Wii only capable of 480p resolution, the Wii U's ability to fully take advantage of today's most popular high definition standards should be a pretty big deal for consumers. But just because a system is capable of 1080p doesn't mean its hardware can handle running any given title at that high of a resolution.

Being a first party Nintendo title for an all-new Nintendo system, fans would likely hope that the company can start things off on the right foot with a title that really shows what the console can do. Nintendo hasn't publicly addressed the change, but it seems somewhat nonsensical to remove an important bullet point unless it is untrue or misleading.

New Super Mario Bros. U is scheduled to launch alongside the Wii U console on November 18th, meaning we're quickly closing in on crunch time for the title. Is it possible that the game will indeed support 1080p? Sure. Would we bet on it? Given the last-minute wording tweak from Nintendo itself, probably not.

Source: Eurogamer

Ummmmmmmmmmmm... I've known this for months? In fact, I'm almost 100% certain I've seen this fact as back during E3... I should find the source on IGN and gameinformer... but alas, it's midterms season...

It's still capable. They just haven't done it. And why does MARIO need 1080p support anyways? ahah.

schmulki:

1) No, "the Nintendo crowd" aren't all idiots on everything media. Many just don't play THAT many games and got sucked into the worst, yet best-selling system of this gen.

I dunno if I'd call it the worst.

The 360 only had 2 real Viva Pinata games.

That is not enough good games >: (.

Microsoft I demand a new Viva Pinata or you are dead to me!

That poor 360 has been getting dust since the last VP released. I just can't justify getting a game on it instead of PC or PS3, at least Wii titles are uniquely Nintendo (in the cases of the ones I bought).

Skyward Sword was something terrible though >.>...

GAunderrated:

SoulChaserJ:
This makes me remember why I keep coming here. Because only gamers would care that this was changed from 1080p to HD. The Wii/WiiU audience mostly wouldn't know 1080p from 480p or the difference between an LCD TV and a CRT TV(other than apparent size). The Nintendo crowd (to me) seem impartial to the type of visuals being presented and care more about the gameplay experience as a whole.

This quote is kinda funny because you insult gamers and the "wii/wiiU audience" like they two separate entities. Yes this is supposed to be the next gen of gaming and technology has long be able to perfect 1080p so its not really unreasonable to expect it. Also saying that the wii audience wouldn't know 1080p from 480p is kinda ignorant and basically stating that the audience is so stupid they wont know a difference between standard and high quality. Even my grandparents in their old age can tell between standard definition and blue ray 1080p.

Nintendo is supposed to be trying to appeal to the hardcore gamers and this isn't really the way to do it.

Guess you don't get that most 40+ year olds who bought the wii, generally have no idea about screen resolution. Or maybe you turn to your 70 year old grandmother and ask her if this is really 1080p or if it's 1080i?

SoulChaserJ:

GAunderrated:

SoulChaserJ:
This makes me remember why I keep coming here. Because only gamers would care that this was changed from 1080p to HD. The Wii/WiiU audience mostly wouldn't know 1080p from 480p or the difference between an LCD TV and a CRT TV(other than apparent size). The Nintendo crowd (to me) seem impartial to the type of visuals being presented and care more about the gameplay experience as a whole.

This quote is kinda funny because you insult gamers and the "wii/wiiU audience" like they two separate entities. Yes this is supposed to be the next gen of gaming and technology has long be able to perfect 1080p so its not really unreasonable to expect it. Also saying that the wii audience wouldn't know 1080p from 480p is kinda ignorant and basically stating that the audience is so stupid they wont know a difference between standard and high quality. Even my grandparents in their old age can tell between standard definition and blue ray 1080p.

Nintendo is supposed to be trying to appeal to the hardcore gamers and this isn't really the way to do it.

Guess you don't get that most 40+ year olds who bought the wii, generally have no idea about screen resolution. Or maybe you turn to your 70 year old grandmother and ask her if this is really 1080p or if it's 1080i?

I could do those things but that's not the point. My point is you are insulting gamers for having an issue with this and insulting anyone who owns a wii as being completely ignorant to technology. You just make blanket generalizations without any proof. A few years back I worked at a job that sold game consoles and you would be surprised how much these 40+ year olds have kept up with technology.

Pebkio:
Bwahaha! We're all very impressed about how you're finally able to compete with the 7th generation consoles from other companies.

Compete and outperform, actually. The tech in the Wii U is significantly more recent than that in the 360/PS3.

In all honesty, I'm a little depressed to see people still defending Nintendo. They're posting links to games that are announced to run in 1080p. They just can't see the irony of posting those links in a thread about a game they USED to be able to link to as 1080p.

Sorry, but what sort of point are you trying to make here?

Firstly, Nintendo stated months ago that they were going to focus on 720p development, to absolutely ensure that gameplay came before graphics. This specific instance regarding NSMB is obviously a case of one Nintendo intern not getting the memo.

Secondly, how does the fact that NSMBU won't be in 1080p negate the fact that ZombiU, BLOPS 2, AC3, Arkham City and MH3: Ultimate will be in 1080p? The innards of the Wii U don't mysteriously alter based on whatever Nintendo is developing. Those third-party games have been confirmed running at 60fps 1080p, showing that the Wii U can handle HD resolutions far better than current-gen consoles.

Oh no, there's one less true-HD game to add to the Wii U's lineup. I'm honestly not too fussed. Even without NSMBU, the Wii U has seemingly got more third party triple-A titles running 1080p at launch than the 360 or PS3 have in their entire libraries.

And in the end, Nintendo don't need 1080p to make their games look good. Super Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword both look absolutely stunning, despite being displayed at a mere 420p. Oh, the joys of having one of the industry's best art teams working for you...

"Well, okay," they say to themselves, "they just decided not to run this game in 1080 because they were happy with they're at. We're certainly not going to see this happen with all the other games we're expecting at launch. In fact! They had always said New Super Mario Bros. U wasn't going to be 1080p. Yeah, they haven't disappointed us at all! We love you, Nintendo, with all of our hearts..."

How many more times are they going to have to let you down before you stop believing in them? Because I'm pretty sure we're on letdown 1396...

You know the last time I didn't feel disgusted at Nintendo? It was with their Gamecube that I still own and play on occasion.

Did Nintendo run over your cat, or something? They've removed one claim from their website, and this is now some kind of major betrayal? How?

Yes, damn you Nintendo! Damn you for focusing on gameplay over purdy graphics! Don't you know that gamers only ever want prettier visuals, and that gameplay is completely trivial to how we view games? Damn you for refusing to go down the road of Day 1 DLC, malicious DRM software, and brown-and-grey warshooters! Damn you for rescuing Bayonetta 2 from the scrapheap! Damn you for publishing games like Xenoblade Chronicles! You are a total failure, Nintendo, and you should look at contemporaries like EA, Capcom, Ubisoft and Activision to see how a videogame company should interact with its consumers. Anything else is a total discrace!

/sarcasm

If Nintendo have been letting us down, then the majority of the rest of the gaming industry already fucked off and abandoned us years ago.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here