Astronomers Discover Planet Made Out of Diamond

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Astronomers Discover Planet Made Out of Diamond

"55 Cancri e" is a girl's best friend.

Why not visit 55 Cancri e? It's a mere 40 light years away from Earth, completely orbits its sun in a blisteringly quick 18 hours and its surface temperature can reach a pleasant 3,900 degrees Fahrenheit. Oh, did I mention that scientists believe that at least a third of the planet is made of diamonds?

Discovered back in 2011 when it crossed in front of its star, 55 Cancri e is packing some serious booty. It's roughly twice the size of Earth, but estimates put its mass at roughly eight times that of our planet. The mass estimate, when checked against the planet's radius and orbital difference, have allowed a team of astronomers to determine its chemical make up with the aid of computer modeling tools. Their best guess? It's mostly made of bling. Previously, scientists believed the planet contained substantial amounts of super-heated water.

"The surface of this planet is likely covered in graphite and diamond rather than water and granite," explained Yale researcher, Nikku Madhusudhan. "Science fiction has dreamed of diamond planets for many years, so it's amazing that we finally have evidence of its existence in the real universe. It's the first time we know of such an exotic planet that we think was born mostly of carbon-which really makes this a fundamental game-changer in our understanding of what's possible in planetary chemistry."

This isn't the first "diamond planet" astronomers have come across, but it's the first time one has been observed in a solar system similar to our own. The system's sun, 55 Cancri A, is actually visible to the naked eye and can be seen in the constellation of Cancer. According to Madhusudhan, the discovery of the planet's jeweled interior challenges commonly held assumptions about the composition of Earth-like planets.

Source: Yale News

This planet is now diamonds.

Now if only we could get there. Then jewelry prices would come way down.

According to someone below me, jewelry prices wouldn't fall. So I guess there's that.

In recent news, America has found terrorists on the planet of 55 Cancrie, they must go there immediately!

I thought this was already discovered....

edit- "Discovered back in 2011 "
Ok, I should read things before I open my yap.
Carry on.

Marter:

They wouldn't. Diamonds are actually already extremely common on Earth. The perception that they're rare and therefore should be valuable is partially because that was true in the 19th century when mining and (Can't think of the word for it...searching for mineral deposits) weren't good enough to mine a significant amount of diamond. But they are now. Once diamonds started to become really common, the largest of the diamond companies banded together and created De Beers Jewelers, forming a monopoly over the diamond market and allowing them to control the prices. Then they went and advertised diamonds as being rare and very valuable, when in reality, they're almost worthless.

Funfact: Despite being based in the US, Rhodes, Beit, and Rothschild (The founders of De Beers) refused to set food on US soil for fear of being arrested as soon as their plane touched down because of how blatantly illegal what they were doing was. They also had a few more controversies surrounding them, like refusing to help the WW2 war effort (Which isn't supposed to be optional)

Wait.... what?

*beings work on giant harpoon*

Soon my pretty, soon.

I vote we change the name of the planet to Midnight.

So I'm guessing that's the homeworld of Butt Stallion from Borderlands 2?

No atmosphere? Temperature high enough to reduce you to a puddle? Far enough away that modern tech can never get you there? Let's go!

The human fascination with shiny things will be our undoing.

So, if we ever managed to efficiently mine it somehow that bring the value of the diamond down tremendously right? I guess traditional engagement rings would be pretty cheap then!

.....I could make the mother of all Pick-axes and mine the stars....

But... diamonds are already pretty worthless on most parts of the world anyways...

Kopikatsu:

They wouldn't. Diamonds are actually already extremely common on Earth. The perception that they're rare and therefore should be valuable is partially because that was true in the 19th century when mining and (Can't think of the word for it...searching for mineral deposits) weren't good enough to mine a significant amount of diamond. But they are now. Once diamonds started to become really common, the largest of the diamond companies banded together and created De Beers Jewelers, forming a monopoly over the diamond market and allowing them to control the prices. Then they went and advertised diamonds as being rare and very valuable, when in reality, they're almost worthless.

Funfact: Despite being based in the US, Rhodes, Beit, and Rothschild (The founders of De Beers) refused to set food on US soil for fear of being arrested as soon as their plane touched down because of how blatantly illegal what they were doing was. They also had a few more controversies surrounding them, like refusing to help the WW2 war effort (Which isn't supposed to be optional)

Did you just happen to know all that??? 'Cause wow.

Fappy:
So, if we ever managed to efficiently mine it somehow that bring the value of the diamond down tremendously right? I guess traditional engagement rings would be pretty cheap then!

Ladies will be asking for black opal instead.
Top 10 Rarest Gems

Dire Sloth:

Fappy:

Top 10 Rarest Gems

I stole one of those from the party loot in a D&D campaign once. Those things looks so cool.

Dire Sloth:

Kopikatsu:

I was thinking that was common knowledge.
I wonder if there is a planet out there made of gold. gold looks better than diamonds anyway.

well seeing how abundant diamonds are on Earth and the industry just marks them up...the hypothetical scenario of mass mining the planet would just incredibly cut down the prices maybe? lol idk

we could all have diamond pickaxes...

(and shovels, hoes, swords, body armor...)

Dire Sloth:

lol a friend of mine worked in a jewelry shop, sold a lotta the stuff, told me something similar about the industry...pretty crazy stuff

Well, it's not unobtainium, but let's go anyway.

Dire Sloth:

Fappy:

Top 10 Rarest Gems

5. Painite
USD $50-60,000/Carat

Painite, named for what you'll be feeling when you pay for this gem.

duchaked:

Dire Sloth:

lol a friend of mine worked in a jewelry shop, sold a lotta the stuff, told me something similar about the industry...pretty crazy stuff

It's news to me. The most I've ever heard about diamond anything was in a documentary about blood diamonds and illegal mining in Africa.

Marter:

According to someone below me, jewelry prices wouldn't fall. So I guess there's that.

inb4...damn you, ninja!

Fappy:

Dire Sloth:

Fappy:

Top 10 Rarest Gems

I stole one of those from the party loot in a D&D campaign once. Those things looks so cool.

they look like one of these mood rings from the 90's

How in the world do you people think this would LOWER the price of diamonds? Did you miss the whole "40 light years away from Earth" part? The cost of having to go there, set up a means to mine the diamonds, then send them back to earth would be so astronomically (hehe) large that the diamonds would have to cost hundreds of times what they do now.

Also as previously mentioned, the diamond trade is monopolized and corrupt.

Most everyone else:
Me.

Watch some dumbass rapper make a music video out of this.

Hey folks, Cave Johnson here. Just wanted to say, we found a money planet. We 're calling it Midnight, in honor of the Doctor.

Diamond and graphite? So it's a giant diamond-inlaid pencil.

Now THAT's some ostentatious bling.

O_O

EUEKA!

DIAMONDS! DIAMONDS EVERYWHERE! WE GOT DIAMONDS PEOPLE! :D

WE NEED TO FUND SPACE SHIPS TO MINE THE SHIT OUT OF THAT PLANET! GOING TRILLIONS OF MILES FOR A PLANET OF DIAMONDS, AND DUMPING THEM ALL INTO THE EARTHS MARKETS CAN ONLY BE PROFITABLE!

Good luck mining it, mind.

Oh God no!! The Doctor Who episode!!!! WHAT WAS THAT THING!? We must not go to this planet!!

If there is a whole planet of diamond that we have access to, wouldn't that simply reduce the value of diamond itself?

Makes sense.

Carbon's one of the most common elements in the universe--more common than the chunk of molten iron we live on.

Diamond planets should be expected.

Fappy:

^ This XD And dammit your avatar is really cute to me for some reason >.<

Pretty sure I've read about this some time back.

A few people have talked about the value of diamonds in relation to this, but the value of diamonds is kept at an artificial high by conglomerates controlling the supply.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeBeers

Knight Captain Kerr:
I vote we change the name of the planet to Midnight.

Negative. We must call it Lucy. (yes, it's a Beatles reference)

No wait, I forgot. They've already named a collapsed star Lucy, being that it's comprised primarily of diamond.

Damn it. Midnight it is, then.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or