Huge Mysterious Eyeball Washes Up on Florida Shore

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Huge Mysterious Eyeball Washes Up on Florida Shore

Eye have no idea what this is.

Picture this: You are strolling along your favorite beach, taking in the serene morning sun with Scruffy, your new and rambunctious corgi puppy. It's Florida, so the autumnal weather hasn't quite put a damper on your early morning ritual. Both you and Scruffy are feeling frisky, so you let him of his leash to run in the waves and poke around in the seaweed. You laugh as Scruffy dashes into the cool green waves, yipping in delight, before sniffing at something in the sand. "What's that you got there, boy?" you might ask before - "Poseidon's Trident, WHAT IS THAT THING?"

At least, I imagine that's what happened when someone discovered a huge disembodied eyeball in Pompano Beach, 30 miles north of Miami, yesterday morning. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission had officials quickly go to pick up the specimen and posted pictures of the eyeball on its Facebook page, but even they are not certain exactly what kind of eye it is. The intrepid marine biologists dressed in red skull caps like Steve Zissou - again, this is what I pictured - placed the monstrous eye on ice and promised to perform DNA tests to identify what species it might be from.

Other marine biologists chimed in as to what creature could have such a large optic organ. "It probably is a squid eye - other things with eyes that big (fish, cetaceans) have them embedded in hard tissue. Squid eyes are in relatively soft tissue and more likely to dislodge as in the photo you sent. A quick DNA analysis could easily sort it our for you," said Robert L. Pitman, a marine biologist with the National Marine Fisheries Service in La Jolla, California.

Not so fast, Pitman. Apparently, there is more to this eye than meets the eye. "There appears to be bones around the eye, so that would rule out a squid. The primary suspect right now is that it would be a large fish," said Carli Segelson from the Florida commission and she was confident the experts would identify the species soon. "I shouldn't say this, but they may be able to eyeball it."

Har de har har, Carli. This is no laughing matter. I'm the only person authorized to make bad fisheye puns here.

Source: National Geographic

(Image)

Eye see what you did there.

Wow that is an sight for sore eye and the eye itself is cetainly eye candy to be put on display in your home!

I really want to know which animal that eye was from.

Eye wonder if it could be a new species?

The ocean is like space. That place is so mysterious you never know what you might find. Nothing is really impossible.

Eye wonder what creature it came from!
*Crosses fingers for Kraken*

Eeeww, that thing is creepy.

I feel like it is looking through my soul.

eye dont know what to say..
maybe it belongs to a giant octopus?

guess that nobody will know whats behind the blue eye

maybe shield will know what to do with it..
-----------
maybe just shake it and it will tell you more

Eye, eye, eye don't understand what eye'm looking it.

Seriously though, this is interesting stuff, I'm guessing Cthulu or marketing stunt.

This is why I don't swim in the ocean. There are things THAT big out there. No thanks. Call me paranoid, don't care. I'm paranoid and safely on shore.

I'm no marine biologist, but what's the size ratio of eye to body on marine life. I mean whales are enormous but if they have relatively tiny eyes it could be a whale eye.

... eye pun

The marine biologists shouldn't argue, there's no 'eye' in team.

The sea is one scary place

Not so fast, Pitman. Apparently, there is more to this eye than meets the eye

>_>

*slow clap

slightly off topic, I want a Corgi puppy named Scruffy... ;_;

As a future biologist, my money is on squid. They have highly developed huge eyes that look a lot like a human's.

EDIT: read the whole article now and I guess I was wrong. But in my defence, I'm pretty sure you can't know about the bone thing just from looking at pictures. Hence why all the professionals also guessed squid.

MetallicaRulez0:
This is why I don't swim in the ocean. There are things THAT big out there. No thanks. Call me paranoid, don't care. I'm paranoid and safely on shore.

I'm with you. Let us bask in the glory of Swimming Pools!

Eye don't really know what eye should say...this is just really weird.

That must be one big fuckin fish if it's got bones in it!

It looks so perfect though... are we sure this isn't a marketing thing?

This seems like the opening to a Doctor Who episode.

We're gonna need a bigger boat...

ritchards:
Solved! It's a sword fish eye.

http://deepseanews.com/2012/10/solved-where-did-the-big-eye-in-the-sea-come-from/

Well that's clearly just a coverup. It's obviously some sort of cyclops that 'The Man' doesn't want us knowing about. They'll be telling us it's a weather balloon next! ;)

Eye don't understand. Okay I suck at puns

Swordfish eye eh? Well dammit no cthulhu

If that's the eye I really wanna see the fish it came from. If it's a swordfish then that's one monster fish.

You call those puns? You guys are merely pupils. My puns are far cornea.

Is Scruffy a seeing eye dog?

MetallicaRulez0:

I'm more freaked out by the smaller things like stepping on a poisonous urchin or getting stung by a deadly jellyfish.

I TOLD Cthulhu he was going to put an eye out if he kept running around with those scissors. But nooooo, those Ancient Ones just don't listen to us mere mortals.

Probably Orbs. They finally came to invade us. You better get good a that knife game no one knew how to play, 'cause people will force you to play it no matter what, and explode your head if you fail. Oh, and if you're unaware of the references I'm making watch Yahtzee's manhunter video. ORBS! OORRBSS!!

Note: I'd put the link up myself but it doesn't want to work for me

Edit: Oh and they're 10 years late too. Better late than never I suppose.

Eye can't believe it. Why is everybody using "eye" instead of "I"?

I'm not one for marine biology, but I think I might just keep my eye on this story.

I know its the wrong color but
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

...Yikes. I wonder what kind of fish has eyes that big... but I'm too lazy to look it up. (And no, I'm not making any eye puns, I'm not in the mood.)

No, no nononono, NO! We're not ready yet! We nowhere near the level of the awesomeness contained in CthulhuTech, give us more time!

Anyone else immediately picture this when they first saw the pictures?

I remember hearing once that we know more about the surface of the moon than the ocean floor. Stuff like this reinforces that belief in me.

That thing is terrifying.

I clicked on the picture to get a closer view. I really regret doing that..

Neat. A news post that reads like an announcement in Dwarf Fortress.

Wow I lived in Pompano Beach, what a crazy small world!

Isn't it possible squids are evolving to have bones? I'm not sure why they would but hey.

MetallicaRulez0:

I'd much rather stay on shore with you to be honest, after being nipped by a crab or whatever it was.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)