Metro: Last Light Drops Multiplayer

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm just going to copy what I said from the other thread.

This is good news. I never once thought while playing the first one that I needed to shoot up some other players. It also redefined what "fun" and "good" meant to me while playing games. In fact, it's a subject that Extra Credits just covered.

Good. The first game was all about being overwhelmed by the staggering loneliness, dread, and despair of the setting, and most of the pitched, exciting firefights were more about survival against the mutated hordes. You only ever shot perhaps about 20 bandits and maybe half again as many Communist or Fascist soldiers. While I understand that multiplayer against other Metro denizens could be interesting, it ought to be regarded as an extra rather than a core of the game.

It's good they're making as good a single player experience as they can. But honestly, a Metro Multiplayer could be freaking astounding.

It's mechanics are so great and it's visuals and atmosphere so thick and weighty. A multiplayer game mode could be unforgettable.

Alright, more time to focus on the single player. This pleases me.

chiefohara:
Good call as far as im concerned.

Single player was what made people want a sequel. Focus on what worked for you the first time

although i agree with you, "focus on what worked for you the first time" is basically COD's motto, which hasn't exactly bared the best fruit.

Is it strange that these sequel articles, more often than not, make me want to buy the original game? I feel like I'm getting left behind in the gaming world.

On-topic, though, I think this is a good idea. I would go almost so far as to say that multiplayer games should stop having singleplayer as well, but then Halo and Battlefield: Bad Company would not be in my list of top favorite series.

Good! Multiplayer would have ruined the game.

This is the best thing that could have happened here, IMO. I don't go for MP unless it's a rare gem or the occasional MP only game (L4D, for example). I like SP games, as soon as these stupid fucking companies realize that everything doesn't have to MP, the better off they and all of us will be.

I'm happy this game didn't go the path Condemned took in 2008. The game suffered because of the needless multiplayer element and I think it may have been part of the reason why we haven't heard so much as a whisper about Condemned 3 since 2009. I think Metro 2033 is a game that surpasses its faults by excelling in everything else, kind of like how I can't hate Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth even if the game is so broken I can't beat it. This may be one of the few games I actually pre-order.

Think I'm gonna buy Metro Last Light just for having the balls to not include multiplayer

kunymonster:
Think I'm gonna buy Metro Last Light just for having the balls to not include multiplayer

I would say "same here" but I was going to buy it anyway, the atmosphere of the last game was incredible.

Glad to hear this, it really gives me more confidence and hope that the game hasn't been streamlined to have more "mainstream appeal".

I liked the first game for singleplayer, adding on a multiplayer mode would just push me away, even co-op would be meh at best.

And nothing of value was lost.

Good on em for making this call. Will work out in the end for the better I'm sure.

Just going to throw my two cents in with everyone else - this is good news. Multiplayer Metro could work, but it's wildly unnecessary, and anything that could potentially distract from the development of the single-player experience is very much unwanted. Hearing that 4A recognizes this fact is refreshing and relieving.

Capitano Segnaposto:
I have Metro 2033 for the PC. Is it better than the Xbox Version? It looks fun, but the Xbox and its crappy graphics/controls pushed me away from it when I rented it. Bought it during the past Summer Sale for 6 bucks.

I haven't played the 360 version but there seems to be a very distinct divide between 360 and PC players. 360 gamers often claim it's clunky and way too difficult, and generally don't seem to care for it, while PC players tend to love it and find it much more manageable. It could be a reflection of broader overall differences in the two demographics, but I think it's more likely that the PC version is just "better."

Daaaah Whoosh:
Is it strange that these sequel articles, more often than not, make me want to buy the original game? I feel like I'm getting left behind in the gaming world.

You should. Metro 2033 is brilliant. And the great thing about picking up preceding games is that you'll almost always get cheap.

I would say "same here" but I was going to buy it anyway, the atmosphere of the last game was incredible.[/quote]

I actually did too on a steam sale but my computer kinda sucks so it couldn't handle it even on the lowest settings. I was so disapointed since I love post-apocalypse games like Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here