Science Suggests We're Living in the Matrix

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Science Suggests We're Living in the Matrix

German physicists have discovered evidence suggesting that we are all merely elements of a complex computer simulation.

I'm sure you all remember The Matrix but on the off-chance that you weren't paying attention or somehow forced yourself to forget the whole thing after watching those awful sequels, it turns out that humanity exists within the confines of a highly-detailed computer simulation created by the machine overlords. And now German physicists have come up with evidence showing that this might actually be happening.

Whoa!

The whole thing is based on the idea that any sufficiently advanced civilization will eventually create a simulation of the universe, which would of course lead to the creation of more such simulations within the original simulation. So it would continue, eventually resulting in a huge number of simulations nested within simulations, making it statistically probable that the universe we inhabit is in fact merely a simulation.

It's a thought experiment, apparently a fairly famous one, but researchers at the University of Bonn say they have evidence that this could actually be the case. As Phys.org explains, a simulated universe would have an "underlying lattice construct" that would impose a limit on the amount of energy that could be represented by energy particles. And the University of Bonn team has found evidence that something very much like those limits do actually exist in our universe.

One example of such a limit is found in the Greisen-Zatsepin-Kuzmin (GZK) limit, "an apparent boundary of the energy that cosmic ray particles can have." It's caused by "slowing interactions of cosmic ray protons with the microwave background radiation over long distances," according to Wikipedia, but the Bonn team says that it also exhibits the same kind of behavior you'd expect to see in a computer simulation.

It may not be proof that we're living in the Matrix, but it is a pretty cool idea. The actual science behind it all is thick and heavy, as demonstrated by the abstract for "Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation," which explains, "Using the historical development of lattice gauge theory technology as a guide, we assume that our universe is an early numerical simulation with unimproved Wilson fermion discretization and investigate potentially-observable consequences." But if you want to take a crack at it - hey, free your mind, right? - you can download the paper in full from arxiv.org.

Source: Huffington Post

I've always thought the whole Observer Effect (specifically relating to quantum physics) was evidence that we were living in a simulation. The fact that things only choose values (i.e. exist in a defined way) when we observe them. So if no-one is looking, things don't exist. Sounds an awful lot like they're saving on processing power to me.

So who's our Neo?

This sounds like some pretty good schmuck bait.

Must put thought into this.

Awesome, so when can when can we open the debug console and turn on invincibility?

TimeLord:
So who's our Neo?

I am, for I am the one.

OT: Nah, can't be, everything doesn't have a dirty greenish filter over it. And if it is a simulation can the overlords please erase all memory of the past 20 years of my life please?

TimeLord:
So who's our Neo?

It may sound like a boring answer, but probably any religious prohpet that did miracles, since that breaks the rules.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A
IDDQD
greedisgood
it is a good day to die
rosebud
nwcalreadygotone

... Well, damn...

Very misleading article title. For shame.

http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/11ed9n/yes_we_may_all_be_living_in_the_matrix_say/ I refer people here.

Bobic:
I've always thought the whole Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle was evidence that we were living in a simulation. The fact that things only choose values (i.e. exist in a defined way) when we observe them. So if no-one is looking, things don't exist. Sounds an awful lot like they're saving on processing power to me.

Do you mean the observer effect?

Lectori Salutem:
IDDQD
greedisgood
it is a good day to die
rosebud
nwcalreadygotone

... Well, damn...

impulse 101
bewareoblivionisathand
thereisnocowlevel
idkfa

nothing...

flarty:

Bobic:
I've always thought the whole Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle was evidence that we were living in a simulation. The fact that things only choose values (i.e. exist in a defined way) when we observe them. So if no-one is looking, things don't exist. Sounds an awful lot like they're saving on processing power to me.

Do you mean the observer effect?

Yes, most likely, shall be editing my post now.

SupahGamuh:
stuff about cheatcodes

Sucks, doesn't it?

I blame modern gaming

TimeLord:
So who's our Neo?

Who else?

I mean come on. Fillion always is The One.

This seems alot more like philosophy than science, but with a little science (or theory) thrown in. It sounds just like the brain in a jar theory, and one's like it.

I heard a similar theory that black holes destroy three dimensional objects in it's event horizon but the signature or the data of the three dimensional objects are saved in two dimensions and can be used to recreate a three dimensional hologram within. It's a lot of trek-like talk but here's the Wiki link.

Lectori Salutem:
IDDQD
greedisgood
it is a good day to die
rosebud
nwcalreadygotone

... Well, damn...

SupahGamuh:

impulse 101
bewareoblivionisathand
thereisnocowlevel
idkfa

nothing...

power overwheling
corwin of amber
+zool
Square, Triangle, X, Space, Circle

Well, I'm all out of ideas.

Dear God! Its Star Ocean: Til the End of Time all over again!! /vomits. On another point was the ps3 international edition of star ocean: a new hope any better than the 360 version?

Well Ill stick by my steak tasting damn good for a bunch of 1s and 0s.

YES, PROOF OF GOD!!! OK, but really now. Think about it, someone needs too be on the "outside" observing our behavior. Wipe your memories while in the program too see how you truly behave, then send you too the appropriate "afterlife". This might even explain reincarnation (or rebirth), sending us through the "program" until we complete it (ie universe is destroyed).

I do not believe in this theory, But I do believe in God, and if this were true then the Master truly does have a good sense of humor.

So you mean this is more like The Thirteenth Floor rather than the Matrix?...There are still many things we just don't understand or at least detect.

Can we walk up walls, dodge bullets and do this?

No? Figure out how to do all that first, then maybe we can talk. I can't honestly be the only one who wants all that stuff to happen.

More to the point though: They make a simulation of world of...this!? Seriously, we coulda had an epic sci-fi universe, a badass fantasy world or even just awesome imaginative societies. Instead? We get stuck in this bland little world? I think i need to have a talk with the programmers..

Wait wait wait wait...
So what are these scientists trying to tell me?
That I can dodge bullets?

TimeLord:
So who's our Neo?

Well Max Payne of course, he discovered bullet time.

Good chance that everyone who read this is going to wind up dead after being assassinated by a computer program with the appearance of an agent.

CAPTCHA: Game over.

Not to burst the bubble, but the GZK is a theoretical upper limit. It hasn't been proven. So the only news here is that two theories give the same result. One theory gives a (relatively speaking) ordinary explanation, whereas one gives an outlandish 'we're all sets of binary 1s and 0s' explanation.

In effect, this is the same as saying: "In a simulation, we would see houses. In reality, we see houses. Therefore: simulation."

(Okay, yes, I'm simplifying, but you get the idea.)

This is the kind of shit people use to try and discredit "Science" as a whole. Eugh. The original research is very poorly represented. I doubt VERY much the original scientists who did this research really drew such a conclusion from it.

Fun hypothetical though.

Solstrana91:
Wait wait wait wait...
So what are these scientists trying to tell me?
That I can dodge bullets?

No, when we're done you don't need to.

...Well, someone's reaching for a conclusion... I mean, if this was a computer simulation, wouldn't it be, I dunno, more interesting? Hell, I'd love to be able to do all that bullet time stuff...

I was thinking about this the other day; that the world and a computer program might actually work the same way but on different scales. Thinking about binary code, and that all the variation in the universe could conceivably come down to different amounts of 1 and 0.
With that in mind, perhaps the first program within a program is the invention of computers, essentially.
Here's a mind-fuck though! 1 = positive energy yes? Then what does 0 equate to? Most would say "negative energy!" but I don't think so. 0 is nothingness, negative is not nothing, negative is just like positive, but in the other direction. So if 1 is positive, and 0 is simply 'not positive, or negative', then what if there is 1, 0 and -1? Is this the same as ternary (0, 1 and 2)? or is it something different?

Serously...

The problem I have with this is that it would therefor have to assume that we, as we currently exist, are nothing but computer programs ourselves. If you start a simulation and plug your entire society into it. All the people in the simulation would be virtual representatives of the people outside the simulation in reality. If the virtual representations advanced enough to create another simulation and plug everyone into that, then that would mean that the 2nd simulation is filled with virtual representations of virtual representations. So from that point on, all future simulations would be filled with virtualized virtual beings.

Then there's the question of who the hell started it all? Are we to assume that humans are that ancient of a species? Or that the Reapers created a virtual universe that simulates nature perfectly so that the simulation itself can create entire ficticious species such as humanity just by running the numbers?

Yup, I thought so. To all the non-believers, God does exist. It's just that the world is just one big game of The Sims to him.

So, if you see a plate of cookies appear in the middle of a room, don't go after the cookies. Because if you do, the only exit to the room will disappear and boxes of fireworks will appear and you won't be able to resist setting them off and burning yourself alive in the room.

>>Implying the universe isn't simply a simulation of itself.

THIS KNOWLEDGE NEEDS TO BE SPREAD! D:

HOW LONG BEFORE THE MACHINES WIPE OUR MEMORIE-

What were we talking about?

Scrythe:

Lectori Salutem:
IDDQD
greedisgood
it is a good day to die
rosebud
nwcalreadygotone

... Well, damn...

SupahGamuh:

impulse 101
bewareoblivionisathand
thereisnocowlevel
idkfa

nothing...

power overwheling
corwin of amber
+zool
Square, Triangle, X, Space, Circle

Well, I'm all out of ideas.

Think about it, if those codes did something, wouldn't they of caused us to have infinite money, lives, or other goodies any of the other of the millions of times people has used them?

We need to come up with completely original codes to find the God mode of this universe! :D

12345! :D

>_>

<_<

>_<

Well, that's all I got.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 49190)