Muslim Protestors Target Google

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Muslim Protestors Target Google

Muslim protestors demonstrating against The Innocence of Muslims barricade Google's London office.

While in the Middle East, Muslim protestors have taken to smashing shop windows and attacking US embassies in order to demonstrate their displeasure at the release of terrible comedy, The Innocence of Muslims, those in the UK have chosen a marginally more sensible target. On Sunday, a large crowd of Muslims barricaded Google's London office in a bid to pressure the company into removing The Innocence trailer from YouTube. The protest was entirely peaceful.

The size of the protest isn't clear; The BBC puts it at "up to 3500," while the Daily Telegraph reckons there were as many as 10,000 people at the event. The protest was organized by The Muslim Action Forum, a group created in response to the film.

"Unreservedly condemns the preposterous film vilifying Islam and desecrating the sanctity of the Holy Prophet Mohammad peace be upon Him" reads the group's manifesto, which also "Calls for all civilized fellow human beings to join in the 'Campaign for Global Civility.'"

YouTube has declined to remove the video, arguing that it doesn't break any of the service's rules. The MAF intends to organize other actions until the video is removed. Targeting Google is a clever move: If anything will force the West to abandon freedom of expression, it's the threat of having to use Bing.

The best part of this whole affair is that no one protesting the release of The innocence of Muslims has actually seen it. Despite the common belief among protestors that the film is a state-funded Hollywood blockbuster, the anti-Islamic comedy has been screened only once, to an audience of ten people.

Thus far the response to the film - which unfortunately goes way beyond the peaceful protests organized by MAF - has claimed the lives of at least four people, including US ambassador, John Christopher Stevens, and foreign service information management officer and EVE Online player, Sean "Vile Rat" Smith.

On a similar note: In Greece, far-right political group, Golden Dawn, has responded to performances of Corpus Christi, a play which casts Jesus and his disciples as homosexuals, by physically assaulting theater-goers and journalists while the police look on.

"In any case where the religious sentiment of Greeks is insulted, the Golden Dawn will react dynamically," explained Golden Dawn MP, Ilias Kasidiaris, known mostly for punching a fellow politician on live television. "If someone tries to stage a play making fun of Muhammad in a Muslim country, he will lose his head. They won't react peacefully as Greeks do."

Quite.

Source: The Register

I'm really fed up with this. What about freedom of expression? What about logic and reason? All the religions are getting in on this act, they seem to have figured out how potent religious bigotry over mild free expression can be.

Well Ilias Kasidiaris does have a point... I mean assault is more peaceful than murder? At least I think that is the point he is going for.

Peaceful protest is a better way to go about this so while I do not like censorship I at least respect the people protesting in London.

I bet the maker of this film is damn pleased with the shitstorm it has caused.

2fish:
Well Ilias Kasidiaris does have a point... I mean assault is more peaceful than murder? At least I think that is the point he is going for.

Peaceful protest is a better way to go about this so while I do not like censorship I at least respect the people protesting in London.

I bet the maker of this film is damn pleased with the shitstorm it has caused.

Not really. He produced the film under an alias and when he was found out, he went into hiding. He's currently in jail.

I kind of have a hard time accepting that 'peaceful protest' and 'barricaded people in their office' go together. I'm sure the second part breaks at least couple of laws (Fire hazard being the only one I know for sure they must have in the UK).

Anywho, if the Muslims protesting are doing so in complete ignorance (IE haven't even watched the video they're killing people over), then just tear gas 'em or something. (The Muslims in London may not have been the ones who killed people, but what they're doing is still probably unlawful and unreasonable. And the fact that they're still protesting over something that they don't fully comprehend is reason enough to shoo them away using chemical agents or fire hoses if necessary 'cause they're obviously not going to listen to reason.)

"Islam: Religion of Peace*"

*Unless you do something we don't like, then, well...
MUZZIES SMASH EVIL WESTERN NATIONS WHO WANT THINKS LIKE EQUAL RIGHTS FOR WOMEN AND FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!!

I DARE any of these types to protest in the USA.
They wouldn't last a hour.

They have no right to be offended. They enjoy all the privileges of living in a civilized country and this is what they do? Move to fuckin' Pakistan if you don't like it. They can't take a little criticism? And they're targeting the wrong fuckin' people too! They don't give a shit who's to blame. Lock them up. Lock them all up.

Protesting over something you haven't even seen for yourself. That's a good way to gain support and sympathy.

It reminds me of the Jeremy Clarkson comment, where everybody gave their opinion on how bad it was despite never having seen it. Therefore making themselves look like fools as they didn't know that it was a joke.

Grey Carter:

2fish:
Well snip

Not really. He produced the film under an alias and when he was found out, he went into hiding. He's currently in jail.

Thanks for the info, I think that info made my night.

9 out of 10 2fishs agree that Grey Carter helps cure lack of information due to laziness. The other 2fish was staring off into space and never filled out the form.

Go MFA! Way to show your solidarity with your terrorist brothers!

dear god people are still angry at this? it was a awful video made by some random dude i dont even remember, why do they persist like this?

i saw the trailer people are protesting over. and it was completely nonsensical and one of the worst film school pieces of crap ever made

Argues against freedom of expression and opinion in a protest that is only possible because of the freedoms they are fighting against. I find it funny how Muslims in the West don't realize that if they start setting precedents that people can silence whatever they don't like, Islam is going to be the first to go.

I wish the UK lot would be so reactive when thier extremist brothers kill people in the name of thier god, I mean here they stage demonstrations to protest a stupid movie yet when asked to help deal with extremists its 'oh those are bad muslims, go talk to them not us'.

You dont see them publically showing condemation for the attrocities after extremist terrorist acts... nahh just for 'insults' and against laws of the nation they decided to move to and live in (anti veil law protests in France).

Bah, religion... if a stupid movie about thier religion is enough to shake thier beliefs, then thier beliefs cant be that strong, and as to insulting thier diety... I would imagine a all mighty god that created all that is should be quiet capable of delivering divine retribution without needing help.
I would imagine any diety would be rather annoyed when thier creation go about killing each other.

No, no, no.
You're doing it wrong.
Instead of organizing protest, just hire bunch of lawyers and sue their ass
That is how you deal with such things in civilized manner

Also, isn't praying to Allah for punishing author of this movie a more suitable course of action?
Or almighty suddenly became a wimp? And if He is ok with this movie, then who are you to not be ok with it?

P.S. In the end- if you ignore this movie, nobody will give a crap about it, and it will eventually go away. But if you bring attention to it, then people will start noticing it, and watching it, an etc. Good job of dealing with things you don't like, assholes >:(
P.P.S. Also, watch this movie, before feeling offended. Maybe you're overreacting.

At this rate, the terriost stigma against Muslims will never go away, -_-

Sorry for double post (please don't kill me)

ASnogarD:
I wish the UK lot would be so reactive when thier extremist brothers kill people in the name of thier god, I mean here they stage demonstrations to protest a stupid movie yet when asked to help deal with extremists its 'oh those are bad muslims, go talk to them not us'.

http://dawn.com/2011/09/25/uk-muslims-hold-rally-against-extremism/

http://www.isb.org.uk/protest-against-poppy-burning-extremists/

http://elderofziyon.blogspot.ca/2012/04/french-muslims-protest-against.html

Out of interest, do you demonstrate against the actions of extremists in your religious/ethnic group?

Legion:
It reminds me of the Jeremy Clarkson comment, where everybody gave their opinion on how bad it was despite never having seen it. Therefore making themselves look like fools as they didn't know that it was a joke.

Actually the point with the Clarkson issue is probably more to do with the guy being an insufferable tool who seems more than a little happy to insult all those who pay his salary. Joke or no.

The Muslims have a right to be offended, that's fine, taking offence is part of freedom of speech, HOWEVER they do not have the right to dictate to others what they find offensive, no ones Religion is special.

Let's hope they don't find the youtube comments section then... All the offices and homes in the world shall have protesters outside their doors >.>

Grey Carter:

ASnogarD:

http://dawn.com/2011/09/25/uk-muslims-hold-rally-against-extremism/

http://www.isb.org.uk/protest-against-poppy-burning-extremists/

http://elderofziyon.blogspot.ca/2012/04/french-muslims-protest-against.html

Out of interest, do you demonstrate against the actions of extremists in your religious/ethnic group?

... then I amend my wishes to wish that main stream media would cover these protests as much as they cover the extremist acts and protests.
I never seen or heard of the protests against terrorism, but then again I only barely watch mainstream news coverage (BBC and Sky).

I hold no religious belief, but do not begrudge others thier beliefs and only get irritable when someone elses religious beliefs impact my life (such as censoring / removing material due to someone elses religious sensitivities), and find killing in the name of religion to be both an act of sheer cowardice and stupid.

Captcha phrase : big brother - is that a warning ?!? Am I being watched !?! :P

A group-think mentality, what better way to demonstrate the cyclical nature of human existence then to show a mass of people overreacting to something they're told to overreact to. In this interesting case study we also get the bonus of watching the average western citizen overreacting to a group of religious people overreacting to a video made by a guy overreacting to the Muslim religion, hell maybe we can delve even deeper and find that the Muslim religion is just an overreaction by Muhammad over the perceived injustices carried out by some people overreacting to... ad infinitum.

Rellik San:

Legion:

Actually the point with the Clarkson issue is probably more to do with the guy being an insufferable tool who seems more than a little happy to insult all those who pay his salary. Joke or no.

I don't watch Top Gear, nor particularly care about Clarkson, but that's not why people got worked up. He said something that in context, with the full conversation could not be deemed offensive by anybody. People then took out 90% of the conversation, quoted a single sentence out of context and tried to demonise him for something he didn't say nor mean. A lot of the people who criticised him then came out to admit that they hadn't even seen the video that people were getting worked up about. They just jumped on the bandwagon.

Uh, act like grown-ups for fuck sake. You're offended. Brilliant. So what? Nothing's changed - you're only drawing more attention to a film that absolutely no one seems to be legitimately interested in (no one who isn't against Muslims already, at any rate).

Saying you want the movie gone because it is an insulting piece of shit, fine I still don't agree with you but at least you have a point. But if you want the government to enforce something because the "sanctity of the holy prophet" is being insulted you try to force your believes on everybody else and that takes away your right to have a civilized discussion in my book.

You'd think people would have better things to do with their time than complain about something that only bigots consider legitimate criticism of Islam...

It's like protesting against the crazy homeless guy down the street because he called your mother a whore.

Well it's the first time I've seen anything peaceful to do with this whole charade so I'll take it.

I really don't get it. Are these people not self aware in the slightest? Don't they realise that all this petty complaining (not to mention the insane over reaction and violence at the US embassies) only brings about more offensive material and distaste of Muslims. Have they learned nothing from Everybody Draw Mohammed day?

Grey Carter:
Targeting Google is a clever move: If anything will force the West to abandon freedom of expression, it's the threat of having to use Bing.

I liked that XD

OT: Well good on them for not getting violent, if they want to protest peacefully then that is fine as long as they keep it peaceful then I respect them for doing so.

Seen once by an audience of ten people? The hell? they are overreacting like there's no tomorrow. and what about freedom of speech? ok maybe some people take advantage of it to insult religions and all that crap. i just contradicted myself. thankyou common sense!

I don't think google should take it down or new laws should be made to make google take it down. It would lead to this new type of censorship removing video's criticising thing's that the establishment is not happy with under the guise of 'people's feelings'...for example; western intervention in the middle east because it upsets the families of UK soldiers.

2 weeks ago a young adult/teenager (who happened to be muslim)got a suspended sentence because he tweeted (or facebook status'd) that 'all soldiers should burn in hell'. I can't go into why one may agree with his statement because I may be arrested also...

I respect their right to prostest-although it is a bit ironic using your freedom to protest against the freedom of free speech, but I think they should be protesting over the unfair censorship of that young man

Now I think about it..it's double standards..someone insults a religion in a pretty bad away... then no UK law can make google remove it..but if someone insults soldiers with a spur of the moment status update they risk jail.

Once again I don't blame google..it's not their fault that UK law is hypocritical (or judges are twisting it), and if they were to remove it people would begin to use other sites.

Wow, i'm surprised how against Islam this thread is so far, next to no sympathy for them despite being offended whilst still acting peaceful in peaceful countries.
However all the fuss has now caused more people to become aware of this film and since I have some time, i'll also be watching it.

You know what would be an easier way to make this film go away, ignore it. He wants to insult my religion, fine, he's free too. And I'm free to do the worst thing I could do to trolls like him, ignore him, and that tends to silence the trolls a lot faster loudly decrying them and only giving them more attention.

I am somewhat more disturbed by the what's going on in Greece. The situation there is essentially what would happen if the extreme right of the Republican party exclusively controlled the police. Gays and journalists being beaten to a pulp while the police stop anyone from helping them escape. That's screwed up.

This is hilariously stupid.
Get over yourselves and get in line. Christianity - wait, no, EVERY RELIGION EVER - gets made fun of on a daily basis by -EVERYONE- and people don't bat an eye. Learn to ignore nonsense like this which YOU MADE "NEWS" IN THE FIRST PLACE.

JESUS H CH-- Wait a second.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or