Update: Project Eternity Sets Record as Most Funded Videogame

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Update: Project Eternity Sets Record as Most Funded Videogame

Obisidian's fantasy RPG overtakes Double Fine Adventure's funding total with hours (and a stretch goal) left to spare.

When Obsidian announced Project Eternity with promises of old school isometric RPG gameplay in the same vein as Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment, the floodgates opened. The game reached its initial funding goal of $1.1 million within 24 hours. Today, Project Eternity has achieved a new goal - it is now officially Kickstarter's most-funded videogame.

The claim for the most money raised was previously held by Tim Schafer's Double Fine Adventure, which managed to amass $3,336,371 in just over a month. As of writing, Project Eternity edges past with $3,432,157, backed by more than 66,000 sponsors, and with 14 hours to go.

The project has had no problem accomplishing its 12 additional stretch goals in the past few weeks. As a result, backers will be rewarded with additional races, classes, regions, factions, language translations, player houses and strongholds. The game also features a "mega dungeon" that has since grown to 10 levels, with more levels unlocked for every 2,500 backers to the project.

That's a fair amount of content, but there are still additional funding tiers to be met. The next stretch goal reward will be "Big Big City 2", similar in size to Baldur's Gate and Athkatla from Dungeons & Dragons, as long as the project's funds reach $3.5 million (which, at this rate, is not entirely out of the question).

Obsidian revealed Project Eternity on Kickstarter back in September this year, claiming that it has been "almost impossible" to achieve funding for the game through traditional means.

Source & Image: Kickstarter

Update: Project Eternity has since passed its $3.5 million goal, finishing at $3,986,929 in Kickstarter pledges alone. As a result, "Big Big City 2" will be included as part of the game's finished content.

Also, the article previously mentioned that the game broke the $1 million mark in a matter of days; it was actually done in less time that that. Apologies for the error.

This makes me profoundly happy.

Will be looking forward to seeing if this game turns out to be as buggy as every other game they've made.

Obsidian('s fans) will have no excuses this time.

I'm really happy for them. They really deserve this chance. I believe Obsidian are an old school team trapped in a new "publisher" world.

The Obsidian team members came from a time when the game industry philosophy was "by gamers for gamers"... and now they are trapped in a game industry that has the philosophy "by investors for money".

I'm really glad that they have a chance to realize their vision and at the same time prove that the new way of the game industry is not actually better.

I called it. I said they would break the record and that they would get funded within a day.

I hope the game turns out good. Would be a shame for future Kickstarter projects if this one failed...

Nenad:

backers
$3,466,557
pledged of $1,100,000 goal
hours to go

I think they've run out of stretch goals.

Edit: Big city goal is confirmed.

Well I don't like announcing achieves until I see it on KS (we'll apply PP $ to final totals) but uhhh, it's hard not to say... BBC2 IS IN!— Obsidian (@Obsidian) October 16, 2012

I am really looking forward to seeing what obsidian achieve with this record. Congratulations to the team on such a amazing kickstarter and good on the rpg community for getting behind a poject publishers said wasnt worth making

Hard to express how happy I am right now.

I eagerly await my collector's edition.

Mr Cwtchy:
Will be looking forward to seeing if this game turns out to be as buggy as every other game they've made.

Dungeon Siege 3 was about as bug free as you could get without being Blizzard or Valve levels of playtesting.

Mr Cwtchy:

Gee! I've never seen this exact statement made, argued and debunked in every single thread regarding Project Eternity since its inception! You are truly breaking ground, friend!

On topic, I never dreamed that it would be this wildly successful.

I fucking love it.

Wow. I'm pretty much speechless while I sit here and read that they actually reached their 3.5 million goal. I honestly didn't think that'd even happen! This is one of the few times my cynicism is proven wrong. Now hopefully they'll avoid the usual ton of bugs...

It'll be pretty sweet when all these kickstarter projects finally come out

Mr Cwtchy:

Mo Money, Mo problems =/

Obsidian, kick those publishers in the teeth.

Fight the good fight people. Support some video game projects on Kickstarter and show those soulless hollow suit corporates like Bobby Kotick where they can stick their DRM, overpriced DLC and "annually exploitable sequels".

Mkay so the reached everything. Congratulations I suppose...
Lets see what comes of it since this time they have no excuse for delivering a buggy shitfest, right?
I of course did not pledge anything. Afaik they did not show any gameplay concept so they can bugger off.

Mr Cwtchy:

Bugs are part of the experience. :P

Timothy Chang:
reached its initial funding goal within 24 hours[/a] and broke through the $1 million barrier in a matter of days.

This is wrong. Its initial funding goal was 1.1 million dollars, so it broke 1 million dollars BEFORE it reached it's funding goal - which it reached in 24 hours, you're correct on that point. Saying that it broke 1 million in a matter of days is incorrect, however, since it broke 1 million in almost exactly one day.

Anyway...

OT: Yay! Take that Double Fine!

What? I don't like Point-and-Click games. I really, really like Isometric Partybased RPGs like Planescape: Torment and BG 1 and 2. As a backer, I am very excited for Eternity, whereas I wasn't for DF. Also, I'm really sick of DF's Kickstarter being the example that everyone holds up.

Now Obsidian gets that honor. That makes me happy. ^^

Bara_no_Hime:

Now Oblivion gets that honor. That makes me happy. ^^

Why does Oblivion need a kickstarter? I thought it came out in like 2005 :P

OT: Super excited about this game, so glad they got their 3.5mill and are still zooming past it!

Awesome. I've never played any old isometric rpgs beyond the Fallout games but I loved them and I loved what Obsidian did in New Vegas so I'm really excited what Chris & Co can do when they can have complete free reign on the project.

Holy crap there's gonna be a lot of content packed into this now. I really hope Obsidian can deliver on it's immense potential.

I can't wait! =D

They've blown through $ 3.5 million with 8 hours to go. So thats 2 giant cities and a stronghold. Amazing!

And the dungeon should be at 11 levels but they haven't updated that bit yet.

In all seriousness, this seems like a great idea. I'm just worried cause its Obsidian. Hope it turns out well.

Snowalker:

In all seriousness, this seems like a great idea. I'm just worried cause its Obsidian. Hope it turns out well.

The way I see it, we get all those bugs for two reasons. The first one is that many of these guys aren't really spring chickens (comparatively and relatively) and had to cut their teeth with 3D engines, AI, and everything else that far surpasses what games like Fallout 1&2, Baldur's Gate, etc were capable of.

The other, more likely conclusion, is that they've really been through publisher roulette and have gotten dicked around big time. Bethesda (Zenimax?) made their deadlines really tight and held some payment ransom over one METACRITIC point (still angers me), and Sega of America isn't exactly lauded for their great QA. From my understanding, play testing and bug control is the publisher's problem.

This will be their chance though. The major opportunity to work on a game and engine that is in the vein of what made them legends in the industry, and with NO publisher. Some of them have said that the various publishers they've dealt with are to blame for these problems, so we'll see what they can do with complete freedom. I'm not sure I have much faith in THQ, but I'm buying The Stick of Truth day one because I've been waiting for a decade essentially.

donated $65 last week and definitely looking forward to it, even if it won't be out until 2014.

One reason for getting all this money (closing on 4m now) is that they managed the KS campaign very well, with many stretch goals and constant video updates. It got me a little worried that they promised so much in the stretch goals, and now they'll have a lot of content to create for the game. Let's hope they really know what they're doing.

Just pledged 160 now for the $140 option. Yeeeeeeeeeeeah but awwww...2014...

Timothy Chang:
When Obsidian announced Project Eternity with promises of old school isometric RPG gameplay in the same vein as Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment, the floodgates opened. The game reached its initial funding goal within 24 hours and broke through the $1 million barrier in a matter of days.

Even a cursory glance at the kickstarter page would reveal that their initial funding goal was 1.1mil. So... they broke the 1 million barrier in 24 hours, not a matter of days

"Looks up the kickstarter" holy crap, they have one more stretch goal. An enhanced game if they hit 4 million. 3.894 million and a little more than an hour to go...can they make it?

$3,915,000 on the kickstarter page alone. Over $100,000 on Paypal. The 4 million dollar goal has already been surpassed. Amazing!

Currently the dungeon is sitting at 14 levels, with the possibility of having 15 levels by the end! For perspective, the original diablo had 16 levels... This dungeon is going to be EPIC.

I'm so excited for this project and I really hope they keep up the awesome level of community involvement that they've had for the whole kickstarter run.

43 mins to go

Plus PayPal money.

Now the hard part begins: sobering up Chris Avellone.

That is no where NEAR enough money to make a game in this age. They may be alright if they get 15-20 Million, though. That would make a decent game, before QA and marketing take a large chunk.

You realize what kind of game this is, right?

Like, it's a 2d fixed-camera isometric game?

With barely any voice acting?

I like ending things with question marks?

Why does Chris Avellone need to reach $4 million to play Arcanum? Or rather, why hasn't he played Arcanum already? :\

That's pretty great though. Lots of good things happening on kickstarter. And FTL is sortof like a proof-of-concept that making games from kickstarter works :D

Arluza:
That is no where NEAR enough money to make a game in this age. They may be alright if they get 15-20 Million, though. That would make a decent game, before QA and marketing take a large chunk.

For a multiplatform AAA release with ultra-graphics/bloom perhaps, but this is more of an overgrown niche title for PC/Linux/Mac. Besides marketing is rather pointless at this point with all the press about it's record-breaking kickstarter.

Too bad we didn't get the secret 4 million reward - bug testing :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or