Rumor: Next Skyrim DLC May Let You Mount a Dragon

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Next Skyrim DLC May Let You Mount a Dragon

Some interesting clues to the future of Tamriel may have been hidden within the latest beta patch, including a new playable island.

An intrepid code junkie has mined the core of the latest Skyrim beta and found what appear to be clues to its next DLC expansion. This all needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but the hints he claims to have discovered reveal not only the name of the DLC, Dragonborn, but also that it will take place on the island of Solstheim, and allow you to ride - wait for it - dragons.

Other tasty tidbits rumored to appear in the add-on include new armor types - Bonemold, Chitin, Nordic, and Stalhrim - and the ability to cast spells while mounted. New enemy types also appear in the updated code, though it's more difficult to get excited about those without actually seeing them in action.

Solstheim is a large island located just northeast of Skyrim, so it wouldn't be crazy to think that Bethesda would add it as a playable area, especially if new story content demanded it.

Of course, given the flimsy nature of the evidence at hand, we wouldn't go all-in on this particular rumor just yet. The lines of code that were allegedly found, while tantalizing, can be easily misinterpreted. Still, it's impossible to not raise an eyebrow at the prospect of flying our very own dragon around Tamriel, wreaking havoc at every turn.

Source: Bethesda Softworks Forums

Mounting dragons?

So it's going to be leading up to the birth of the next dragonborn?

EDIT: Okay but seriously, I thought Skyrim would be a game where dragons are fearsome. I mean it's bad enough seeing them more often than you see mudcrabs, but what makes it worse is that my horse managed to kill an elder dragon (i'm on highest difficulty) and now they let you turn a dragon into your bitch?

I swear Bethesda is just looking at popular mods and trying to make people pay for their version...

So... Dragonborne!
In all seriousness, I can't see the PS3 getting this one. The game already fails at walking/riding speeds; imagine how it will falter when crossing the game world at dragon speeds!

AzrealMaximillion:
I swear Bethesda is just looking at popular mods and trying to make people pay for their version...

To be fair though, isn't riding a dragon what everyone has wanted to do since even before the game was released? I don't doubt that the company monitors what mods are popular, and perhaps even uses them as proof of concept for retail DLC, but the idea of flying on a dragon isn't exactly original all on its own.

Well, let's hope that there is a little more too it than dragon riding, but I'm still intrigued.

EDIT: After reading the Bethesda forums thread it seems there is a fair bit to this, and the dragon riding is actually the least confirmed bit.

I was actually hoping there'd be some dragon taming/riding from the very beginning.
I just prefer to make friends with the dragons rather than kill them.

Although if this is true, it's a little strange considering how much they insisted that the dragons were only interested in killing things and that Skyrim dragons weren't the type to get all buddy buddy with people.

MikeWehner:

AzrealMaximillion:

To be fair though, isn't riding a dragon what everyone has wanted to do since even before the game was released? I don't doubt that the company monitors what mods are popular, and perhaps even uses them as proof of concept for retail DLC, but the idea of flying on a dragon isn't exactly original all on its own.

Not the point. The point is that Bethedsa should be looking at popular mods and thinking not to make DLC that players can access for free. What's the point of paying for Heartfire if:

a) I can just download a mod that does the same thing for the PC?
b) the PS3 version isn't even a sure bet to come out at all?
c) its not that great anyways?

The DLC really only benefits 360 owners at this point. Not saying that Bethesda needs completely fresh DLC, but the DLC we've seen for Skyrim isn't anything to get exited over.

And to be fair not that many people wanted to go all Drakengard with Skyrim. They wanted stronger Dragons.

You know, even if this is *not* what the next DLC will contain, it bloody well should be. Bethesda, stop whatever you're doing and make what the guy said up top. Please.

Oh and make Destruction magic not suck as well. Thanks!

A Smooth Criminal:
Mounting dragons?

EDIT: Okay but seriously, I thought Skyrim would be a game where dragons are fearsome. I mean it's bad enough seeing them more often than you see mudcrabs, but what makes it worse is that my horse managed to kill an elder dragon (i'm on highest difficulty) and now they let you turn a dragon into your bitch?

Due to the mechanics of the game, it's easier for your horse to kill a dragon on the Hardest difficulty than the Easiest... or maybe just as easy.

On the topic of this DLC... sounding too much like a Morrowhiner's wet-dream than something Bethesda would actually create.

AzrealMaximillion:

The DLC really only benefits 360 owners at this point. Not saying that Bethesda needs completely fresh DLC, but the DLC we've seen for Skyrim isn't anything to get exited over.

That's a *lot* of 360 owners though. If I own the game on 360 (which I do), I'm glad this might be in the works. If I own it on PC (which I also do, for some reason...) then I'll play the free mods unless the official DLC offers something the free mods don't. You still have the freedom to not download the DLC on PC, and on top of that, there's already more options (via the modding community) available right now than the consoles will ever have. Win/win?

I'm not betting on that. Todd Howard said repeatedly, no riding dragons, so I find it unlikely they'll change their tone.

Additionally, (as others have said) this sounds a bit too much like a Morrowind junkie's wet dream.

It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

We've been to Solstiem before in the Bloodmoon expansion, which, you'll recall, was the expansion that added werewolves to Morrowind. Skyrim already has werewolves, so it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to go back.

Who knows, though. Maybe it's legit, but I don't think it is.

MikeWehner:

AzrealMaximillion:

That's a *lot* of 360 owners though. If I own the game on 360 (which I do), I'm glad this might be in the works. If I own it on PC (which I also do, for some reason...) then I'll play the free mods unless the official DLC offers something the free mods don't. You still have the freedom to not download the DLC on PC, and on top of that, there's already more options (via the modding community) available right now than the consoles will ever have. Win/win?

Just saying that Bethesda could do a better job with the DLC. You have to admit, Skyrim's DLC is pretty lackluster.

AzrealMaximillion:

the game jam thingy had riding dragons in it so not really just mods.

I want polearms tho

AzrealMaximillion:
Just saying that Bethesda could do a better job with the DLC. You have to admit, Skyrim's DLC is pretty lackluster.

Oh, definitely. But that's a whole other can of worms that would take us a month to dissect. :)

This was all i could think of when i saw the title.
Also sorta-ninjad.

Veldie:
I want polearms tho

Not just you. We all want to run around with a halberd long enough to scratch a giant's nose.

Solstheim... I smell Bloodmoon references. Color me intrigued.

Praying that this rumour is true. While Skyrim is mostly mediocre, I loved killing dragons and exploring stuff. A new zone and a different way to interact with the dragons is everything I need from a Skyrim DLC.

No it won't because I can't get DLC or Skyrim from Steam (even after I bombarded both Bethesda and Valve about this issue- I sent 10 letter to each)
All they are saying that it isn't available for my region, well thanks for stating the obvious.
What I want to know is why is it and when this thing will be fixed, not the things I already know.
Found hard copy of TES5, but I still can't get a freaking DLC :(

This would be pretty cool if I could actually get Skyrim DLC. I doubt the PS3 is ever going to get any of the DLC though, so I guess I don't really care if it actually exists or not.

AzrealMaximillion:

I swear I have never seen any mod yet that adds Solstheim to the game...

OP: I am very exited about this as it sounds like it will be focusing more on your role as the Dragonborn and not on some niche like being a vampire.

So, why would they release the sims: skyrim when they have mountable dragons up their sleeves?
seems suspicious

what we really need is 'FUS ro DAH!' difficulty setting, where everything hits 70% harder and has 5x health because master is still too easy
seriously, not tooting my own horn or anything you can right click alduin to death in 3 weapon swings seconds wearing the best Armour available
just makes me a sad panda for grinding that hard to get it.

aslong as i get more playable content though i'm more than happy, i had planned to retire my lizard warrior and start a thief or make a hardcore vampire
but i can get a few more hours in that don't amount to gold farming

Solve: Bitter end

let's hope not!

Isn't Solthsteim the land of the High Elves? I know Hammerfell is Redguards, Elswyr is the Khajit, Black Marsh is Argonians, Orsinium is Orcs, Tamriel is Imperials, High Rock is Bretons (man I know too much about Elder Scrolls...) and Morrowind was the land of the Dark Elves, so perhaps they're heading toward a confrontation with the Thalmor.

So... They take away the ability to fly. They take away the ability to jump very high. They take away the ability to featherfall. And now, they're just going to give you a flying mount...?

Somehow, I find that a little hard to believe.

What, like the back of a Volkswagen?

Scow2:

A Smooth Criminal:
Mounting dragons?

Due to the mechanics of the game, it's easier for your horse to kill a dragon on the Hardest difficulty than the Easiest... or maybe just as easy.

On the topic of this DLC... sounding too much like a Morrowhiner's wet-dream than something Bethesda would actually create.

That's not quite what I was saying... The fact that it's possible at all for a normal horse to take on an ELDER DRAGON by itself is pretty retarded... It's the same as me putting a rat and a spoon in my microwave then watching the spoon decapitate the rat.

MikeWehner:

AzrealMaximillion:

They also made a playable dragon during their game jam thing. That may be what the code is referring to. If so, the holy crap you can be a dragon!

I also wonder if this will have any Bloodmoon references... would be interesting to explore the island in Skyrim. See how much it's changed.

The Great JT:
Isn't Solthsteim the land of the High Elves? I know Hammerfell is Redguards, Elswyr is the Khajit, Black Marsh is Argonians, Orsinium is Orcs, Tamriel is Imperials, High Rock is Bretons (man I know too much about Elder Scrolls...) and Morrowind was the land of the Dark Elves, so perhaps they're heading toward a confrontation with the Thalmor.

Your thinking of Summerset Isles. Solostheim is a large island in the Sea of Ghosts that straddles the border between Skyrim and Morrowind. Ever since Red Mountain erupted between Oblivion and Skyrim a lot of Dark Elves fled there instead of coming to Skyrim. Also it is where the DLC Bloodmoon for Morrowind took place.

unless they rework the engine heavily i fail to see how they can make flying dragons work, since the engine has never handled trying to load blocks rapidly be it flying, driving, or just boosting your run speed to crazy level will all cause the game to crash and crash often.

oblivion you could fly a dragon worked for all of 30 seconds to 2 to 4 minutes before the game would say ok no more and crash.

Not sure about you guys, but riding a dragon sounds amazingly fun. I'm not sure if they'd allow you to ride a dragon outside of that island and around Skyrim, but I am certainly sure if the rumors are true .. we can have it breath fire at the same time. Or cast spells while riding a dragon- that's hardcore.

Heck why not do a dragon shout that lets you summon your other dragon to help you in fight while riding your other dragon bud? Sick as crap, I cannot wait and will be saving my microsoft points for such a DLC. It'll probably take a long time though so not going to think I will be hearing anything to soon. Still ... legit stuff. I love Skyrim!!

A Smooth Criminal:
It's the same as me putting a rat and a spoon in my microwave then watching the spoon decapitate the rat.

What did i just read here...

i'm gonna check it again but i still.. you.. what???? O.o

mind /blown

Krantos:
I'm not betting on that. Todd Howard said repeatedly, no riding dragons, so I find it unlikely they'll change their tone.

Additionally, (as others have said) this sounds a bit too much like a Morrowind junkie's wet dream.

It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

We've been to Solstiem before in the Bloodmoon expansion, which, you'll recall, was the expansion that added werewolves to Morrowind. Skyrim already has werewolves, so it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to go back.

Who knows, though. Maybe it's legit, but I don't think it is.

Also, there would be the problem of how to deal with "interior" cities.
I think maybe there will be dragon mounting, but only on Soltsheim or in an otherwise limited scope.

What would be more interesting would be hiring a crew and taking some of those ships for a ride.

The Lugz:

A Smooth Criminal:
It's the same as me putting a rat and a spoon in my microwave then watching the spoon decapitate the rat.

What did i just read here...

i'm gonna check it again but i still.. you.. what???? O.o

mind /blown

It was hypothetical. Who in their right mind would actually put a spoon in a microwave?

And I think there's a higher chance of the rat eating the super hot spoon in an effort to survive before the spoon decapitates it.

Ah, riding dragons. One more way to get on top of things I shouldnt be on top of.

Wow, that sounds a lot weirder than I thought it would. Oh well.

So, when is the DLC that makes the game not crash every other minute?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here