Bethesda: Don't Install Doom 3 BFG Edition on Xbox 360

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bethesda: Don't Install Doom 3 BFG Edition on Xbox 360

If you want to play the bonus retro titles included in this special edition, keep it off your Xbox 360's hard drive.

It's rare that a game publisher would advise against doing something that can extend the life of your game console, but that's just what Bethesda is doing when it comes to the just-released Doom 3 BFG Edition. It seems that due to a strange quirk with the Xbox 360 version of the title, those who decide to install the game on the system won't be able to access the bonus Doom or Doom 2 titles.

The news comes from Bethesda Global Community Lead Matt Grandstaff, commenting on a NowGamer article. "If you choose to install the game to the Xbox 360 hard drive, you will not be able to launch Doom or Doom 2," Grandstaff explains, "As their[sic] is no performance advantage to installing the game to your hard drive, we recommend not installing the game to avoid this issue."

While there may be no performance benefit to this particular title itself, the ability to install games onto a console's storage device can extend the life of your hardware. Negating countless hours of disc spinning means fewer moving parts, and therefore less opportunity for something to go wrong.

There has been no official word on whether the title will be updated to tweak the unfortunate issue, though we can't imagine getting a couple of 18-year-old PC games installed and running on the Xbox 360 would be particularly difficult.

Source: NowGamer

Is this only on the 360 or has anyone had this issue with the PS3?

1.Why is this news coming from an obscure website? Why isn't it on their blog?
2.Why is there no performance benefits when installed onto the HDD? Disk access is faster via HDD than CD/DVD disc.

So many questions, so little answers.

Oh Bethesda, how you brighten our world with your inability to make even the simplest technology go your way. Perhaps you should get games tested before they're released..then fix them.

Now that's what I'd call a Big Fucking Goof

F'Angus:
Oh Bethesda, how you brighten our world with your inability to make even the simplest technology go your way. Perhaps you should get games tested before they're released..then fix them.

Give them some credit. At least the Hellknights aren't walking backwards.

F'Angus:

Oh you silly billy! THAT would require the gaming industry to go back to treating game testers like human beings instead of Foxcom day laborers.

that reminds me, I should install Borderlands 2 since I'm putting good hours of playtime on that disc :P

mad825:
2.Why is there no performance benefits when installed onto the HDD? Disk access is faster via HDD than CD/DVD disc.

If you load the whole game into RAM at startup (doom is just a couple MBs), you won't need to do it while the game is running, which would be the only situation I'd imagine loading time could kill your performance if loading from a slow media device. And again, we're talking about a few MBs, the whole loading operation will only be a matter of seconds, and if we're talking about perhaps 1 second more/less loading time when you boot up the game, then there's not much to worry about.

F'Angus:

But then we would miss out on all the fun it wouldn't be a Bethesda game if it didn't all go horribly wrong at some point.

mad825:

answer to ? #2
because doom and doom2 are both tiny as hell and could be loaded into the system memory in their entirety (if they were able to set it up to do that)

Seriously doom2 is in the realm of 20 megabytes for the whole game.

So, I suppose this will not find it's way to the XBLA marketplace?
At least not in it's current form?

I mean, if you buy it of there, you don't have much of a choice then to install in, right?!

Double Post.

Is playing from the disk really that bad?
I mean, I never installed a game on the harddisk, besides Battlefield 3.

Now, how much better would installing games be for my console, or performance for that matter?

Is it just loading times, or will I see some improvements in other areas as well?

Why would you want to play Doom on a console anyway?

This is looking more and more of a waste of money. i still have doom 1 & 2 in addition to the master levels, final Doom, Doom 3 and Doom RoE and i also downloaded the XBLA versions of Doom 1 & 2. i can't see a single reason why i would buy this.

Mahorfeus:

F'Angus:

Give them some credit. At least the Hellknights aren't walking backwards.

Or flying for that matter...

It kinda surprises me that id Software missed such an opportunity with an almost 20 year old game.
I'm trying so hard not to blame Bethesda for this, but I can't just turn a blind eye on this matter.

Does cellphone games made you lazy Carmack?, I used to respect you, now, not so much.
Let's hope the PC version gets optimized this time, remember Rage?.

MikeWehner:
While there may be no performance benefit to this particular title itself, the ability to install games onto a console's storage device can extend the life of your hardware. Negating countless hours of disc spinning means fewer moving parts, and therefore less opportunity for something to go wrong.

Hang on... isn't the most common storage device for the Xbox 360 a HDD? So you're not negating hours of disk spinning, you're just spinning the HDD platters instead of an optical disk.

bloody hell, glad they told me before i bought it friday!

Sylveria:

Especially when it's overpriced, and doesn't (to my knowledge) allows the use of custom wads.
I'm willing to bet that all owners of this game have a computer (Windows PC, Linux PC, Mac - doesn't matter) that can run Doom I & II and make it look and sound much better.

Note that this game is published by Bethesda, and not developed by their developer studio that made the Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3. This game was developed by id Software. That's just sad.

Bethesda, the only gaming company that can break the most simple things in games, was looking forward to the BFG edition but I'll pass.

Ranorak:
Double Post.

Now, how much better would installing games be for my console, or performance for that matter?

Is it just loading times, or will I see some improvements in other areas as well?

You shorten the lifespan of the X360 if you don't install games on the harddisk.

Sylveria:

Presumably for the same reason why they'd play any other first-person shooter on a console: they don't know any better because they've never tried it on the vastly superior PC.

F'Angus:

This.

Makes you wonder how the fuck they stay in business with such legendarily shitty Q&A (as in non-existent).

PC/Steam version should be ok then, right? Been interested to try this out. Ehh, I should probably get Doom II, first before buying this reboot.

Captcha: "Get DISH Now". Well, ok. Guess I'll drop my DirecTV and do that while I'm waiting, with the bad capitalization included!

OK seriously I love Bethesda and all BUT! How do you fuck this up? Does every-single-fuking-thing you put out have to be bugged to fuck on day one!? Is it company policy that your software must be nipple tearing frustrating for several months until you wheel out a patch? It's a simple question.

mad825:

I was also going to point out that the extended life on a CD drive by not using is is barely negligible[1] but these are also good points, considering that the Xbox's RAM probably couldn't contain the entire game. This is Doom3 after all...

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a Hoax.

[1] Assuming a non-defective CD Drive. Sorry for the jab to consoles, but the X-Box doesn't have a good history with CD Drive QA.

F'Angus:

Yes, that is fair criticism of Bethesda. Their greatest failing is reliability.

People don't own the original Doom games?

Ranorak:
Double Post.

The 360 disc drive is "scary fast". Like 27,000 RPM. It's a moving piece that is capable of failing, and if it does, there's not a whole lot you can do. I've had 2 disc drives go, and the 360s needed to be replaced, so my policy these days is "don't play it unless it's installed". Although I would break that rule in cases like these, where the game is better uninstalled.

As for performance, i haven't noticed too much in the way of improved performance since instituting this policy, but the disc drive is still responsive, and the system as a whole runs a lot smoother (although some games like Skyrim load a lot of data off the disc, so even installed, the disc drive runs for 5-10 minutes after starting playing)

No such issues on the ps3? Good, good

Altorin:

Ranorak:
Double Post.

The 360 disc drive is "scary fast". Like 27,000 RPM. It's a moving piece that is capable of failing, and if it does, there's not a whole lot you can do. I've had 2 disc drives go, and the 360s needed to be replaced, so my policy these days is "don't play it unless it's installed". Although I would break that rule in cases like these, where the game is better uninstalled.

As for performance, i haven't noticed too much in the way of improved performance since instituting this policy, but the disc drive is still responsive, and the system as a whole runs a lot smoother (although some games like Skyrim load a lot of data off the disc, so even installed, the disc drive runs for 5-10 minutes after starting playing)

Ah nuts, my Harddrive is full with games from XBox-marketplace.
Probably a good time to consider upgrading from my 60GB to a bigger one.

getoffmycloud:

F'Angus:

But then we would miss out on all the fun it wouldn't be a Bethesda game if it didn't all go horribly wrong at some point.

To be honest I do enjoy stuff like this.

But I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there. ha

So why won't it run from the HDD? Did they purposely lock that out?

All hail miscrosofts need to control everything.

P.S. capcha tells me to take an umbrella, flame shield?

Sylveria:

Since there is no vertical aim or crouching, I don't see the difference between WASD and an analog stick.

But then again, there are dozens of GLDoom, ZDoom mods available on PC that add a plethora of options and I think you can download the entire first episode of Doom 1 for free, version 1.666 if I recall.

DVS BSTrD:

F'Angus:

Oh you silly billy! THAT would require the gaming industry to go back to treating game testers like human beings instead of Foxcom day laborers.

It would also require them to actually test games, which is (amazingly) even less likely.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here