Assassin's Creed Liberation Trailer Dives Into Aveline's Story

Assassin's Creed Liberation Trailer Dives Into Aveline's Story

Assassins Aveline and Connor join forces in the latest Liberation story trailer.

It seems like Ubisoft constantly releases new trailers for Assassin's Creed III, but we've seen far less of the upcoming Vita title, Liberation. This story trailer highlights the franchise's first female assassin, revealing a bit of Aveline's history.

After losing her mother and seeing her city overrun with soldiers in late-1700s New Orleans, Aveline learns how to fight back by joining the assassins. She appears to be just as skilled and brutal as her male counterparts, though her feminine wiles can also be used to charm potential targets. The video also gives us a peek at Aveline hanging out with Connor, Assassin's Creed III's resident assassin, tying the two games together.

Liberation launches alongside Assassin's Creed III on October 30, and it could be just the game the Vita needs to generate interest this holiday season. The series' previous handheld efforts weren't as well received as their console counterparts, and we'll find out if Liberation can break that pattern later this month.

Kind of wish they wouldn't release it on the same day as Assassin's Creed 3, since it might cannibalize potential sales for the title.

Hope it does well.

They're being released on the same day? Really? Who's idea was that?

So we finally get the story behind our first sister of the Cree...

..ole

Fappy:
They're being released on the same day? Really? Who's idea was that?

Someone who makes money either way?

If only this game came out on a console... if only... I would gladly pass on AC3 to play as Aveline. She is a pretty unusual character, with an awesome badass streak and a great voice. Too bad I don't like handhelds. =(

I may not know much about early 1700s New Orleans or how the Spanish conducted themselves in the Americas at that time, but I think she has a genuinely better reason to fight for the Assassins then any other Assassin in history ("Kill these dudes who love obeying orders blindly because I say so.")

Not a bad trailer! Now if only I had a Vita.....

First game that's actually made me wish I had a Vita. Although not quite enough for me to actually fork out for one.

NinjaDeathSlap:
First game that's actually made me wish I had a Vita. Although not quite enough for me to actually fork out for one.

That's honestly how I feel about this game. It looks really fun and interesting, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to fork over however much for even a used system.

I'll wait for reviews but if this game is good I'll buy a VITA for it, if it sucks I'll keep waiting for Dragon's Crown

It looks good. Not "drop 300 bucks on a Vita" good, but definitely "Hope it will be released on the Consoles Eventually" good. It worked for God of War and GTA. No reason Assassin's Creed can't follow suit with their portable game.

I don't know a whole lot about American history. Can someone tell me how it would be possible for a woman of African descent to grow up in an upper class setting in what looks like the late 18th century?

Foolproof:
I don't know a whole lot about American history. Can someone tell me how it would be possible for a woman of African descent to grow up in an upper class setting in what looks like the late 18th century?

Slavery was not nearly as cut-and-dried along racial terms as pop history would have you think, especially prior to the 19th century. The first recorded slave owner, for example, was black.

But even within pop-history constraints, slavery was hardly constrained to field labor. Slaves were used for everything from servants and maids to stablehands and traders. Those in household positions would likely have held higher standing in a household, and those of mixed descent would have had even more of a chance of a somewhat 'normal' life. (I'm not sure about Aveline in Liberation, but her skin tone seems light enough to count)

Foolproof:

At the time it was largely mixed slavery. It was decades after the Revolution when African slaves became preferential because they were largely the most different from the majority of Americans. They were seen as easy to keep down, and easier to designate as slaves because of their skin color. From that birthed the racism that would preside over America for quite a long while. Prior to that, the race issue was present, but not nearly as exaggerated.

As for her being a woman, it's likely she has friends in high places and her family was affluent to begin with.

Also possible is Ubisoft just didn't care and made her "special" and somehow able to achieve wealth and class on her own.

Foolproof:

Aveline's father was a Frenchman who took an African wife in what is known as the placée system. Essentially they couldn't find enough European women in the French colonies so they took African and Indian wives instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pla%C3%A7age

Sorry to be nit-picky here but....
Was her hat nailed to her head? How did she do several leap-of-faith style jumps without that hat moving? Once I thought about it I couldn't unsee it for the rest of the trailer.

Odd how everyone i know had the exact same reaction.

"This is pretty awesome, better than cornor atleast, oh... its on Vita. Nevermind."

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here