2K Announces First XCOM Single-Player DLC

2K Announces First XCOM Single-Player DLC

The Slingshot Content Pack will soon take XCOM: Enemy Unknown to the unfriendly skies over China.

If more XCOM is what you want, then 2K and Firaxis have some good news: The Slingshot Content Pack, the first of two planned single-player DLC releases for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, is on the way. Slingshot will serve up new linked Council missions in which players meet an "enigmatic Triad operative, divert an alien ship's course and do battle with the aliens in the skies over China." Three new maps, a new squad character with unique voice and background - the aforementioned Triad, I would assume - and new character customization options will all be included with the package.

Also up for grabs is the Elite Soldier Pack, originally available as an Enemy Unknown preorder bonus but which can now be had by those who didn't fork over their cash up front. The Elite Soldier Pack adds the Classic XCOM soldier, complete with blonde flat-top haircut, the Soldier Deco packs that offer a range of unique XCOM armor customization options, and "complete color customization" that give you total control over your squad's style profile.

Release date and pricing information for the Slingshot Content Pack have not yet been released, although 2K says it's "coming soon." The Elite Soldier Pack, on the other hand, is available now for 400 Microsoft points on the Xbox 360 or $4.99 on the PlayStation 3 and PC.

Permalink

I would think diverting them to the skys over China would be punishment enough.

I felt a bit disappointed by the fact that this XCOM barely tried to equal, let alone surpass the ancient one in terms of content. Now I understand why. Well played 2K, well played.
Really hope they're working on an expansion, cause there needs to be more of everything.
There also needs to be less limitations about not being able to shoot a wall with a plasma rifle on purpose, but I'm not hoping to see that until the sequel.

I am so going to be dropping some cash for this.

I LOVE this new XCOM and cant wait for more content.

They're selling the ability to tint your armor? That's pretty shit. I love the game, but that's pretty shit. I get selling cosmetic stuff and all, but tinting? Shit.

Still, the other DLC sounds pretty interesting. More XCOM will make me happy. I'm hoping the second DLC adds more variety to, well, everything. More aliens, maps, countries, soldier customization options, and mission variety. To name a few. Love the game, but more of that stuff would be great. Having the aliens assault your base would be neat. Maybe whenever you get a live capture it escapes and calls for help or something. Perhaps it wouldn't make much sense story-wise, but it'd be cool to defend and fight through the base you build.

But again, selling armor tints, pretty dick move there, 2K/Firaxis.

If they are going to add DLC, how about adding the part where the aliens actually decide XCOM is a threat and begin searching for our base for an assault. Or maybe invading their base on Mars.

Wei Shen is joining? Awesome! Fighting aliens totally fits in with his cover.

Irridium:
They're selling the ability to tint your armor? That's pretty shit. I love the game, but that's pretty shit. I get selling cosmetic stuff and all, but tinting? Shit.

Still, the other DLC sounds pretty interesting. More XCOM will make me happy. I'm hoping the second DLC adds more variety to, well, everything. More aliens, maps, countries, soldier customization options, and mission variety. To name a few. Love the game, but more of that stuff would be great.

But again, selling armor tints, pretty dick move there, 2K/Firaxis.

They're only selling the armor tints so people who didn't preorder can get it as well, or would you rather it stay a preorder exclusive?

unacomn:
I felt a bit disappointed by the fact that this XCOM barely tried to equal, let alone surpass the ancient one in terms of content. Now I understand why. Well played 2K, well played.
Really hope they're working on an expansion, cause there needs to be more of everything.
There also needs to be less limitations about not being able to shoot a wall with a plasma rifle on purpose, but I'm not hoping to see that until the sequel.

This one actually has more content. Its just that you don't notice it.

Compare it to the original, the new one has more everything. Even the personal mind shield, which was lacking in the original and made no sense for it not to be there.

Secondly, use explosives to clear walls. Using a magical bullet that blows holes in the wall is too cartoony and makes no sense. The best you can hope for is a pack of C4 specifically for clearing walls.

tehroc:
If they are going to add DLC, how about adding the part where the aliens actually decide XCOM is a threat and begin searching for our base for an assault. Or maybe invading their base on Mars.

Base assaults make no sense. They can bombard cities now. They don't waste their time with stupid ideas like "lets shoot them instead of bomb them to gain their archaic technology!"

Besides, the panic system eludes that the aliens discovered you in the end. They did it by worming their way through the council to find your ass.

This isn't 1994, and XCOM can't follow 1990s cartoon logic anymore.

Secondly, retelling the same bad 1994 story twice isn't good. XCOM got away with its horrid story, but this new one can't.

Its better that they took out the master brain. Its better that cydonia doesn't exist.

Maeshone:

Irridium:
They're selling the ability to tint your armor? That's pretty shit. I love the game, but that's pretty shit. I get selling cosmetic stuff and all, but tinting? Shit.

Still, the other DLC sounds pretty interesting. More XCOM will make me happy. I'm hoping the second DLC adds more variety to, well, everything. More aliens, maps, countries, soldier customization options, and mission variety. To name a few. Love the game, but more of that stuff would be great.

But again, selling armor tints, pretty dick move there, 2K/Firaxis.

They're only selling the armor tints so people who didn't preorder can get it as well, or would you rather it stay a preorder exclusive?

I'd rather have something like being able to change the color of your armor to be in the game for everyone for free. Like every other game that lets you change armor colors.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, more XCOM for everyone and the world will know peace!

...eventually!

still curious on how expensive it will be, it seems like a minor addition to the game all things considered.

Irridium:
They're selling the ability to tint your armor? That's pretty shit. I love the game, but that's pretty shit. I get selling cosmetic stuff and all, but tinting? Shit.

Their use of the word "tint" isn't really good. The Elite Soldier Pack allows you to change the color pattern of the armor in a way more significant then what the word "tint" would imply.

Irridium:
They're selling the ability to tint your armor? That's pretty shit. I love the game, but that's pretty shit. I get selling cosmetic stuff and all, but tinting? Shit.

From what I saw, it's all pre-order content in one package for 5$. The addional hairstyles (including helmets), the "tint"-option (about 15 or 16 vastly different colors. Pink, red, green, white,...) and maybe also an addional armor-look.
Don't know exactly what is in, but if you can get someone with and one without this DLC, it should be easy to see, what is in and what not.

Regarding the announced one - 5 bucks for 3 missions, a new squadmate (probably temporarely) and a few addional cosmetics? Sounds about right...

Bindal:

Irridium:
They're selling the ability to tint your armor? That's pretty shit. I love the game, but that's pretty shit. I get selling cosmetic stuff and all, but tinting? Shit.

From what I saw, it's all pre-order content in one package for 5$. The addional hairstyles (including helmets), the "tint"-option (about 15 or 16 vastly different colors. Pink, red, green, white,...) and maybe also an addional armor-look.
Don't know exactly what is in, but if you can get someone with and one without this DLC, it should be easy to see, what is in and what not.

Regarding the announced one - 5 bucks for 3 missions, a new squadmate (probably temporarely) and a few addional cosmetics? Sounds about right...

Actually, judging by the leaked Steam Achievements, it would appear as though the unique squadmember is a permanent addition to the XCOM roster. Or, well, as permanent as any other soldier. So, really, temporary; in the sense that he'll probably bite it the next time Chrysallids show up.

Irridium:

I'd rather have something like being able to change the color of your armor to be in the game for everyone for free. Like every other game that lets you change armor colors.

I didn't preorder, I bought the game retail at a store, the Elite Soldier Pack was included. I assumed it was just an attempt to curb second hand sales.

Ultratwinkie:

tehroc:
If they are going to add DLC, how about adding the part where the aliens actually decide XCOM is a threat and begin searching for our base for an assault. Or maybe invading their base on Mars.

Base assaults make no sense. They can bombard cities now. They don't waste their time with stupid ideas like "lets shoot them instead of bomb them to gain their archaic technology!"

Besides, the panic system eludes that the aliens discovered you in the end. They did it by worming their way through the council to find your ass.

This isn't 1994, and XCOM can't follow 1990s cartoon logic anymore.

Secondly, retelling the same bad 1994 story twice isn't good. XCOM got away with its horrid story, but this new one can't.

Its better that they took out the master brain. Its better that cydonia doesn't exist.

Um, are you really going to try to apply realism to modern XCOM? Cause it uses 'cartoon logic' as much as the original, especially in the end game. Why is the Ethereal ship a Space Cathedral? Why did they move it to into the atmosphere so that XCOM could attack it, rather then keep it in orbit? Why does it apparently have no defenses whatsoever to prevent a human landing party from dropping in? If the Volunteer dies in the end mission, the Ethereals say 'you disappoint us' or something along those lines. So basically the Ethereals are only satisfied with your performance if you KILL THEM ALL. The entire end game is set up for the Ethereals' evil speech and plan. It's cheesy fun all the way.

Don't get me wrong, I like the new game a lot but its plot is just as silly as the original.

I loved the new Xcom, until I started playing it on classic difficulty. Now dont get me wrong, I do like challenge, but I always want challenge to be fair. I dont mind if my percentage to hit is lower, what bothers me is that I'm seeing the same percentage to hit as in other difficulty levels, but I consistently hit less. I do realize that even when seeing a 95% chance to hit, there is a 5% chance to miss, it just feels like that 5% comes into play much more when playing on the higher difficulties, and that just shouldn't be. 95% is 95% regardless of difficulty level.

Also, the enemies hit you more or less all the time and cover just doesn't seem to matter that much on the higher difficulties. But then again Normal was a bit too easy, I guess I would like something between normal and classic difficulties, something that gives me challenge and actually giving me the chance of failing totally, without feeling cheap.

No matter how you put it, tinting armor is cosmetic. It does absolutely nothing to the game balance whatsoever. One might think it a basic feature, sure, but its still cosmetic.

I'm thinking $5 is a bit much for it, though. Around $2-3 would've been more appropriate. I've seen several other pre-order bonuses go for around that, like the extras for Deus Ex HR.

As for the real DLC, I'm not sure. Depends on what they'll charge for it, tbh. The game could use a bit more variety in the missions, definitely, but it all depends on the pricetag. Personally, I'd rather see a full fledged expansion campaign.

Kind lame that they didn't add in new weapons and tech (seriously, I want flamethrowers and acid grenades), but it's something at least.

lancar:
No matter how you put it, tinting armor is cosmetic. It does absolutely nothing to the game balance whatsoever. One might think it a basic feature, sure, but its still cosmetic.

It seems to be the exact same content as the Pre-Order stuff, so it appears to be a bit more than just colors but also a few helmets and hair-styles as well as at least two alternate styles for two armors (one each).

Not... terribly impressed. Given the mediocre quality of the cutscene and voice acting stuff in the main game, I'm not really big on an expansion that will presumably be full of that stuff.

I'd rather see them go hard on a Big Damn Expansion. Maybe something with a Terror From the Deep angle.

Kekkonen1:
I loved the new Xcom, until I started playing it on classic difficulty. Now dont get me wrong, I do like challenge, but I always want challenge to be fair. I dont mind if my percentage to hit is lower, what bothers me is that I'm seeing the same percentage to hit as in other difficulty levels, but I consistently hit less. I do realize that even when seeing a 95% chance to hit, there is a 5% chance to miss, it just feels like that 5% comes into play much more when playing on the higher difficulties, and that just shouldn't be. 95% is 95% regardless of difficulty level.

Also, the enemies hit you more or less all the time and cover just doesn't seem to matter that much on the higher difficulties. But then again Normal was a bit too easy, I guess I would like something between normal and classic difficulties, something that gives me challenge and actually giving me the chance of failing totally, without feeling cheap.

I've only played classic, and I've never felt it being cheap. Could be because I got nothing to compare it to, I suppose. RNG can screw anyone over every now and again, and low cover is exactly what central officer bradford said in the Tutorial: low cover is not as good as full cover, but its better than nothing at all.

From what I've read, Classic is an entirely different beast than normal, so requires more thinking ahead.

Bindal:

lancar:
No matter how you put it, tinting armor is cosmetic. It does absolutely nothing to the game balance whatsoever. One might think it a basic feature, sure, but its still cosmetic.

It seems to be the exact same content as the Pre-Order stuff, so it appears to be a bit more than just colors but also a few helmets and hair-styles as well as at least two alternate styles for two armors (one each).

Yeah, but it's all still cosmetic :)

You know what I'd shell out hard cash for? A voicepack. Give the soldiers accents correlating with their nationality. Even if they're cheesy over-the-top accents. Maybe mix in some foreign phrases. Or garbled English.

Worms did it. So did the Jagged Alliance series.

the game needs mod support thats what is really going to make this a game changer for it

I got not problem with them offering, but I dont see myself buying this. At least until they make some sort of big bundle deal.

The Crotch:
Not... terribly impressed. Given the mediocre quality of the cutscene and voice acting stuff in the main game, I'm not really big on an expansion that will presumably be full of that stuff.

I'd rather see them go hard on a Big Damn Expansion. Maybe something with a Terror From the Deep angle.

Definitely this. It's a fun game, but the best parts are the open-ended protecting the Earth parts, not the cheesy linear story. More maps, more aliens, and more guns are what's needed. Also a camera that actually works. This DLC might be worth having if it's reasonably cheap, but it doesn't sound as though it's really going to add anything to the main game.

nikki191:
the game needs mod support thats what is really going to make this a game changer for it

I agree. Mod Support for this game would be incredible. If I'm not mistaken, they said they had plans for this, didn't they?

lancar:

Bindal:

lancar:
No matter how you put it, tinting armor is cosmetic. It does absolutely nothing to the game balance whatsoever. One might think it a basic feature, sure, but its still cosmetic.

It seems to be the exact same content as the Pre-Order stuff, so it appears to be a bit more than just colors but also a few helmets and hair-styles as well as at least two alternate styles for two armors (one each).

Yeah, but it's all still cosmetic :)

So? It's also quite a lot at content while 5$ itself is not much. I've seen lone skin-DLCs for other games (Killing Floor Premium Char-packs) go for the same price and that is a single skin (with a special bonus like a unique voice) - here, you get a bunch of stuff for the same price.
Cosmetic-only or not, it is a more than fitting price-tag for the amount of content it has.

 

Reply to Thread

Log in or Register to Comment
Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  
  
Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here