Hackers Release PlayStation 3 "LV0 Decryption Keys"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Hackers Release PlayStation 3 "LV0 Decryption Keys"

The PlayStation 3 has been cracked yet again, and this time may prove to be the last time.

Sony has had its hands full trying to keep the PlayStation 3 console "secure," but that battle may have finally come to a losing end. The release of PS3 firmware version 3.60 back in early 2011 brought security exploits to heel for awhile, but now it appears that the doors have been flung open again and this time, Sony may not be able to close them.

A new PlayStation Network-enabled custom firmware was released a few days ago, which is bad enough in its own right, but the real trouble comes from the follow-up release of the "LV0 decryption key," because that allows any changes Sony makes to the PSN security code to be decrypted "with little or no effort." Access to the LV0 key means that PS3 firmware packages can be decrypted on a PC, then re-encrypted with existing firmware 3.55 keys in order to run on hacked consoles.

The discovery of the LV0 key reportedly took place some time ago but was not revealed to the world at large until the information leaked to a Chinese hacking group called "BlueDiskCFW." That group intended to charge PS3 owners for custom firmware updates created with the key, leading the team that originally found it, "The Three Tuskateers," to release the key to the public to prevent anyone from profiting on it.

"You can be sure that if it wouldn't have been for this leak, this key would never have seen the light of day," the group said in a statement. "Only the fear of our work being used by others to make money out of it has forced us to release this now."

How damaging this latest security breach will actually prove to be is debatable, as it really only affects people who are already running custom firmwares and the PS3 is approaching the end of its lifespan anyway. Even so, it's apt proof that in the face of a truly determined adversary, no security measure is foolproof.

Source: Eurogamer

Hasn't the 360 and Wii been 'easily to hack', for like...ever now?

Never really saw NEAR the level of stories on TE when that was happening...

Maybe it's cause the PSP got so screwed by CFW?

more prove of the fact that sercurity updates wont work agianst pirates. better make your product worth buying instead of pirating.

You just can't win this fight Sony.

Meh... this doesn't affect us normal gamers. It just let's those hacking the PS3 to hack it even more. Which... I don't see the appeal of, but whatever floats your boat.

Long as it doesn't keep me from playing Dishonored or steal my information again or shut down the PSN for weeks on end, I don't give a shit what the hackers do on the hardware end.

In the medium run I'm wondering how Sony will try to handle this for the next generation of its console. From what I've heard the internals are not modular enough if broken into, meaning it can't be replaced, but I might be talking out of one of my hole...

Long story short, how Sony will handle this might make a difference in the decision to get a console on the next iteration for many people.

News like this make me less worried about the Trusted Platform chips that pretty much every motherboard has now. If they're ever used for ill, they will be cracked.

Tanis:

Short answer: No, to my knowledge.

The 360 is easy to hack and play pirated games, but it's really difficult to go online with it and not be instantly permabanned. And every new update includes new ways to find out if a system is modded or not.

This PS3 leak is, as far as I can tell, a whole new level, since it will make all subsequent attempts to find modded consoles nigh-impossible (theoretically).

If I'm reading it correctly, this decryption key will make it impossible for Sony to release any new encrypted coding to detect modded software, since the encrypted coding will be broken almost immediately and solutions found soon after.

Wado Rhyu:
more prove of the fact that sercurity updates wont work agianst pirates. better make your product worth buying instead of pirating.

That's such a cop out answer these days. The pirated version is free. What do you need to provide, as a new developer, to be able to beat that? People pirate INDIE games, for fucks sake, they aren't going to come over all moral because "WE NOW DECIDED THE PRODUCT WAS WORTH PAYING FOR ALL OF A SUDDEN BECAUSE REASONS, AND SUCH".

Quiotu:
Meh... this doesn't affect us normal gamers. It just let's those hacking the PS3 to hack it even more. Which... I don't see the appeal of, but whatever floats your boat.

Long as it doesn't keep me from playing Dishonored or steal my information again or shut down the PSN for weeks on end, I don't give a shit what the hackers do on the hardware end.

Bravo, good sir or ma'am. Exactly what I think every time I hear something to do with hacking, except for that time when the PSN was down for months.

I'm not saying these news aren't relevant. And I'm pretty sure someone's gonna try and counter this with "Weh weh security is important blah blah Sony dr00ls, Xbox rules!". But what's important to me is that I can still play my games as normally as yesterday. That's all.

Note: You may NOT start an argument about how the 360 can also be hacked and the Homebrew channel and whatnot. That's not the point. Seriously.

ResonanceSD:

Wado Rhyu:

That's such a cop out answer these days. The pirated version is free. What do you need to provide, as a new developer, to be able to beat that? People pirate INDIE games, for fucks sake, they aren't going to come over all moral because "WE NOW DECIDED THE PRODUCT WAS WORTH PAYING FOR ALL OF A SUDDEN BECAUSE REASONS, AND SUCH".

This is way overused too.

( Edit because this was posted as I was typing:

Beautiful End:
I'm not saying these news aren't relevant. And I'm pretty sure someone's gonna try and counter this with "Weh weh security is important blah blah Sony dr00ls, Xbox rules!".

)

Further proof that PS3 sux and 360 rulez! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :P

Just kidding, just kidding. What this brings to me is the question of "Why?" The people that originally found it said that they had absolutely no intention of spreading it around or releasing it to the whole world, but then they found out that some Chinese company was wanting to make a profit off of it so they decided the best thing to do would be to go ahead and release it to the world so everyone would have it for free.

But why did they do it in the first place? Why were they tinkering around with the PS3's firmware to begin with if they themselves didn't want to spread it around? I guess it really raises the bigger question of "why do hackers hack?" I understand that there's some people out there wanting to send a message against companies they disagree with or otherwise just don't like, so they hack their systems as a way to attack them without getting found out. But I can't help but feel that a case like this are the hackers just saying "We did it just because we could." Well you can very easily take candy away from a baby, but that doesn't make you any less of a dick for doing it.

Tanis:

yeah but you couldn't really gain to much besides, i can download games for free, from what i can tell from the article what they have got out of the ps3 seems a bit more valuable than free assassins creed 3.

also xbl will ban the sh** out of you,if you go online with all that and find you , they are good at doing that. the wii, however does nothing, i have a smash brothers with shadow the hedgehog, galacta knight, square enix character models over several characters and a pikachu with a top hat mustache and monocle in it, as well as several emulators and gcn games that i cannot find (twilight princess for the gcn is way better than the wii version). Nintendo either cant do anything, or just doesn't care.

(fun fact most remade and downloaded character for smash is shadow the hedgehog, i didn't know he had that many fans, and by alot i mean alot, millions of downloads.he has been fully functional too , im not saying he should be in ssb4 but if they consider it, its kinda been made for them)

RJ 17:

Just kidding, just kidding. What this brings to me is the question of "Why?" The people that originally found it said that they had absolutely no intention of spreading it around or releasing it to the whole world, but then they found out that some Chinese company was wanting to make a profit off of it so they decided the best thing to do would be to go ahead and release it to the world so everyone would have it for free.

But why did they do it in the first place? Why were they tinkering around with the PS3's firmware to begin with if they themselves didn't want to spread it around? I guess it really raises the bigger question of "why do hackers hack?" I understand that there's some people out there wanting to send a message against companies they disagree with or otherwise just don't like, so they hack their systems as a way to attack them without getting found out. But I can't help but feel that a case like this are the hackers just saying "We did it just because we could." Well you can very easily take candy away from a baby, but that doesn't make you any less of a dick for doing it.

Hackers hack because they like the challenge, why do you play games?

Crono1973:

RJ 17:

while agree with your assertion
i will play devils advocate

some people horrible things are fun , like hacking a place and stealing credit card numbers, just because its challenging and fun doesn't make it right, or productive for that matter.

Crono1973:

I understand the "they like the challenge" argument as it's always fun to take something that someone said can't be done and go ahead and do it anyways.

But on the other hand, the last time I checked, my playing Crono Trigger didn't ROYALLY fuck over some person or some company. My enjoying running through some puzzles in Portal didn't have major financial ramnifications for countless people I haven't even met. When I load up some Dead or Alive 5, I'm not committing a crime.

Which is why I still say "doing something just because you can doesn't make you any less of a dick." To say that hackers are hacking just because they love the challenge is essentially saying they like committing crime just for the fun of it.

Edit:

The Tall Nerd:

Crono1973:

some people horrible things are fun , like hacking a place and stealing credit card numbers, just because its challenging and fun doesn't make it right, or productive for that matter.

My point exactly.

The Tall Nerd:

Crono1973:

RJ 17:

Oh so now we are talking about morality? I say people should be able to tinker with their own property. Releasing it to the world is a sticky thing though.

RJ 17:

Crono1973:

I understand the "they like the challenge" argument as it's always fun to take something that someone said can't be done and go ahead and do it anyways.

But on the other hand, the last time I checked, my playing Crono Trigger didn't ROYALLY fuck over some person or some company. My enjoying running through some puzzles in Portal didn't have major financial ramnifications for countless people I haven't even met. When I load up some Dead or Alive 5, I'm not committing a crime.

Which is why I still say "doing something just because you can doesn't make you any less of a dick." To say that hackers are hacking just because they love the challenge is essentially saying they like committing crime just for the fun of it.

Edit:

The Tall Nerd:

Crono1973:

My point exactly.

Wow, you are getting worked up for nothing. You know is true, people hack because they enjoy the challenge. All that other bullshit you just wrote has nothing to do with what I said.

Oh, BTW, if it is a crime to tinker with your own property...it shouldn't be.

Crono1973:
Wow, you are getting worked up for nothing. You know is true, people hack because they enjoy the challenge. All that other bullshit you just wrote has nothing to do with what I said.

Oh just to be clear, I'm not worked up. Indeed, I really don't care as it has no effect on me whatsoever. However, you did equate the challenge of hacking to the challenge of a game, and I was simply showing the point that one is a crime and the other one isn't.

Oh, BTW, if you agree to a TOS saying that you won't tinker with the item that you purchased and you do anyway, you're committing a crime, if not at the very least guilty of breach of contract.

Honestly, at this point I'm just "arguing" for the sake of argument. Because I like the challenge! :D

:P

Good news. Personally, I have my PS3 modded so I can use homebrew(media players, emulators, etc). But I couldnt play my newer, original games. Even though about updating.

Crono1973:

The Tall Nerd:

Crono1973:

Oh so now we are talking about morality? I say people should be able to tinker with their own property. Releasing it to the world is a sticky thing though.

oh i agree with you, i was just playing devils advocate
if you make the reason to buy stuff better than stealing it, like xbox you cant play online or you will get banned. simple makes me wanna not hack my xbox and steal games, or have a hacked xbox when its an updates.

RJ 17:

Crono1973:

Oh just to be clear, I'm not worked up. Indeed, I really don't care as it has no effect on me whatsoever. However, you did equate the challenge of hacking to the challenge of a game, and I was simply showing the point that one is a crime and the other one isn't.

Oh, BTW, if you agree to a TOS saying that you won't tinker with the item that you purchased and you do anyway, you're committing a crime, if not at the very least guilty of breach of contract.

Honestly, at this point I'm just "arguing" for the sake of argument. Because I like the challenge! :D

:P

If breaking the TOS is a crime, I honestly don't give a shit. If I want to break open my PS3 you bet your ass that I will and no TOS or bad law will prevent that.

Releasing it to the world is the real issue here, not that some people tinker with their PS3.

Crono1973:

You can do whatever you want with your own property. That however has nothing at all to do with this article. You do not own the software that comes on your ps3.

To those playing the "it's your property" card, I raise you the "you agreed to the TOS" and "developers don't get paid for pirated content" cards.

In all seriousness, I actually wouldn't mind if they kept it to themselves, because then it really is just affecting their own property. It's a shame a stupid money-grabbing group forced their hand.

Crono1973:
If breaking the TOS is a crime, I honestly don't give a shit. If I want to break open my PS3 you bet your ass that I will and no TOS or bad law will prevent that.

Releasing it to the world is the real issue here, not that some people tinker with their PS3.

Now who sounds like they're getting all worked up? :P

Look, I don't care what you do in your own time, as I said, it doesn't effect me. I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't even own a PS3 to begin with. All I'm saying is that there's a difference between playing a game for the challenge and hacking for a challenge: one is a crime (or at the very least negetively affects other people), the other does not.

Now if your self-righteous attitude places you above the trivialities of legal contracts, well that's your business. All I'm saying is that the letter of the law disagrees with you. :P

I do find it interesting, though, that you differentiate between hacking and releasing the information that was hacked. You're saying that releasing the information is bad...right? Well doesn't that mean that gaining such information to begin with was probably bad too? Suppose a bank robber (i.e. the original hacker) robs a bank just for the hell of it and then distributes the money from said robbery to a bunch of other bank robbers (i.e. people with modded consoles) so that they can use that money to better equip themselves for robbing banks (i.e. using their consoles in ways that violate the TOS agreement)...are you saying that the crime was not the origina bank robbery to begin with, but rather it is that the original bank robber was enabling the rest of the bank robbers?

Again, just shootin' the breeze with you here. This is quite honestly the first time I've ever discussed modding and hacking consoles. I just find your logic to be faulty, but ultimately it really is no big deal to me what you do.

Little Gray:

Crono1973:

You can do whatever you want with your own property. That however has nothing at all to do with this article. You do not own the software that comes on your ps3.

1) Pay attention, someone asked why anyone hacks in the first place.

2) Like games, I own the copy of the software on the PS3. You must be one of those people who have been fooled into believing you are paying $60 for a rental. Here's a question for you, if you don't own that copy of the software, then why would you own the hardware? Both are proprietary.

RJ 17:

Crono1973:

Now who sounds like they're getting all worked up? :P

Look, I don't care what you do in your own time, as I said, it doesn't effect me. I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't even own a PS3 to begin with. All I'm saying is that there's a difference between playing a game for the challenge and hacking for a challenge: one is a crime (or at the very least negetively affects other people), the other does not.

Now if your self-righteous attitude places you above the trivialities of legal contracts, well that's your business. All I'm saying is that the letter of the law disagrees with you. :P

I do find it interesting, though, that you differentiate between hacking and releasing the information that was hacked. You're saying that releasing the information is bad...right? Well doesn't that mean that gaining such information to begin with was probably bad too? Suppose a bank robber (i.e. the original hacker) robs a bank just for the hell of it and then distributes the money from said robbery to a bunch of other bank robbers (i.e. people with modded consoles) so that they can use that money to better equip themselves for robbing banks (i.e. using their consoles in ways that violate the TOS agreement)...are you saying that the crime was not the origina bank robbery to begin with, but rather it is that the original bank robber was enabling the rest of the bank robbers?

Again, just shootin' the breeze with you here. This is quite honestly the first time I've ever discussed modding and hacking consoles. I just find your logic to be faulty, but ultimately it really is no big deal to me what you do.

I am not going to ruin my night fighting over this shit. You want to be all self righteous about protecting Sony while CLAIMING that it's a crime for a consumer to tinker with his own property, you go right ahead.

Crono1973:
I am not going to ruin my night fighting over this shit. You want to be all self righteous about protecting Sony while CLAIMING that it's a crime for a consumer to tinker with his own property, you go right ahead.

I'm sorry, when did I say I was defending Sony? I originally made a question of why hackers hack. You offered an answer to that question, and all I've done since then is question the logic behind your answer. But apparently you can't admit that your logic is flawed, nor have you paid attention the the numerous times that I've said:

I don't care what you do. It has no effect upon me. I'm not attacking you for modding your console.

I do have to say I find it funny that YOU'RE the one getting pissed off about this now. But honestly I did not come here to start a fight, you just kinda threw yourself into one. So lets go ahead and call it quits here, and I'll wish you a very pleasant evening. :3

Edit: Oh, and for the record, I haven't been "claiming" anything. Breaking a TOS agreement is a clear violation of contract and subject to at the very least a lawsuit. You might not give a damn about that, and I really don't care that you don't give a damn about it. But the fact remains that there's nothing debateable about breaking a contract equating to breaking a contract.

RJ 17:

Crono1973:

I'm sorry, when did I say I was defending Sony? I originally made a question of why hackers hack. You offered an answer to that question, and all I've done since then is question the logic behind your answer. But apparently you can't admit that your logic is flawed, nor have you paid attention the the numerous times that I've said:

I don't care what you do. It has no effect upon me. I'm not attacking you for modding your console.

I do have to say I find it funny that YOU'RE the one getting pissed off about this now. But honestly I did not come here to start a fight, you just kinda threw yourself into one. So lets go ahead and call it quits here, and I'll wish you a very pleasant evening. :3

I am ignoring all the other shit because I didn't want to discuss the ins and outs of EULA's, too many brainwashed people ready to give away all their consumer rights for my patience.

So are you really denying that hackers hack for the challenge?

Crono1973:
I am ignoring all the other shit because I didn't want to discuss the ins and outs of EULA's, too many brainwashed people ready to give away all their consumer rights for my patience.

Not at all. In fact, if you look back to my original response to your original answer:

RJ 17:

Crono1973:

I say that I fully understand that aspect of it. All I've been saying - the entire point of the rest of that post and every post after - is that your equating the challenge of hacking to the challenge of a videogame is completely flawed. One has clear victims, the other one does not.

ResonanceSD:

Wado Rhyu:

Extra DRM isn't going to help stop pirates.

Anyway, making a better product isn't about stopping piracy: It's about making piracy LESS common. You will never stop pirates, you will rarely even slow them down with bullshit DRM or strongarm tactics. All you can hope to do as a developer is convince the people that pirate from large publishers that you, personally, are worth throwing money at, that it would be a dick thing to pirate your product if they have money to spare.

It's the same reason Nine Inch Nails can give new albums for free and still make millions in completely optional donations: They have a product worth throwing money at, and an attitude to match.

RJ 17:

Crono1973:

Not at all. In fact, if you look back to my original response to your original answer:

RJ 17:

Crono1973:

I say that I fully understand that aspect of it. All I've been saying - the entire point of the rest of that post and every post after - is that your equating the challenge of hacking to the challenge of a videogame is completely flawed. One has clear victims, the other one does not.

Then we agree on the only point I care to argue.

Crono1973:

RJ 17:

Crono1973:

RJ 17:

Fair enough. As I said: have a pleasant evening. :)

The research done in PS3 security was motivated by the ability to run Linux on it (a feature Sony removed all of the sudden some years back). This leak is just the conclusion.

Sony will surely be able to blacklist units with hacked firmware from PSN(as does Microsoft with JTAG hacked Xbox units).

Will it make piracy easier? Sure. Will it make it easy for your average gamer? Probably not.

Sony will probably react to this with new DRM, more phoning home etc. I personally love tinkering with these things, so I am looking forward to bring new life to my paperweight of a PS3.

RJ 17:

Crono1973:

RJ 17:

Fair enough. As I said: have a pleasant evening. :)

You too.

To avoid a low content warning:

I do think (and I don't want to argue this with anyone) that no one last gen even considered that they didn't own the games they bought. People should probably look back and figure out why they feel that way now. Figure out when and how they have been manipulated to give up ownership of games and hardware.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here