Schwarzenegger Signs On for The Legend of Conan

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Schwarzenegger Signs On for The Legend of Conan

Arnold will go back to doing what is best in life for the summer of 2014.

While he is best recognized from the original Terminator movies, Arnold Schwarzenegger started his blockbuster career with 1982's Conan the Barbarian. The film was a sword-and-sorcery epic based on the short stories by Robert E. Howard, and quickly became a cult classic. Schwarzenegger starred in a sequel and was being considered for a third film before he was elected governor of California, effectively putting his acting career on hold. Now that Schwarzenegger's political term has come to a close, that is no longer the case. Schwarzenegger recently confirmed that he has signed on for The Legend of Conan, a direct sequel to the 1982 film that will debut in 2014.

"I always loved the Conan character and I'm honored to be asked to step into the role once again," Schwarzenegger said. "I can't wait to work with Universal and the great team of Fredrik Malmberg and Chris Morgan to develop the next step of this truly epic story."

The new film, which will ignore the events of the 1984 sequel and 2011 reboot, depicts an aging Conan decades after taking control of his kingdom. "The original ended with Arnold on the throne as a seasoned warrior, and this is the take of the film we will make," producer Fredrik Malmberg explains. "It's that Nordic Viking mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he'll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle."

The Legend of Conan has been plotted by Chris Morgan from Wanted, 47 Ronin, and Fast and the Furious 6. Above all, Morgan considers this film to be a dream project and return-to-form for the Conan franchise. "After the original seminal movie, all that came after looked silly to me," Morgan said. "Robert E. Howard's mythology and some great philosophy from Nietzsche to Atilla the Hun was layered in the original film ... I love the property of Conan so much that I wouldn't touch it unless we came up with something worthy. We think this is a worthy successor to the original film. Think of this as Conan's Unforgiven."

Shortly before being elected governor, Schwarzenegger considered starring in King Conan: Crown of Iron, a script which also featured an aging Conan struggling to defend his kingdom. The concept is clearly an intriguing one for Schwarzenegger and the studio, and could make for an excellent sequel. Conan fans have reason to be excited, although since the film is still in the pre-production phase only Crom knows how it will turn out in the end.

Source: Deadline, via IGN

sadface.jpg

Why couldn't we try to use that reboot that happened just last year? At least try to make it work? Y'know, that thing that money was put into and stuff? And it was kinda fun?

Fine. Let's have a 70-year-old play a shirtless action hero.

Oh Arnold, did Maria put you up to this?

Fanghawk:
Conan fans have reason to be excited, although since the film is still in the pre-production phase only Crom knows how it will turn out in the end.

We all know how this is doing to end

Loved Conan (not that one with thingy from stargate

With any luck it will be a musical http://youtu.be/OBGOQ7SsJrw

Well, for one. the Reboot idea was lame standard Hollywood bullsh*t that couldn't come up with an original idea if it bit em in the arse. Second the Boyscout that portrayed Conan... Arnold would have wiped the floor with him. Third. It's about Time >.>

an old and aging conan

not such a bad Idea.....you know? themes n' shit

While I have always enjoyed the Conan films for their campy aesthetic, I am concerned that this will do to that franchise what his return to The Terminator franchise did to those films....

Leave 1980's film series in the 1980's. Please. I will probably go see it but I am not looking at this and drooling.

2 years and counting until we get to hear Bob auto pilot into Boston accent with the work swartzenager, or he might try to go the entire review calling him Arnold to try, and avoid it. can't wait.

Eh...why not?

Can't be worse then the Expendables or Conan reboot...can it?

Remains to be seen if it will be good or not but unlike the usual backlash you get from remakes and unnecessary sequels this actually kind of works. The original Conan the Barbarian movie ended with a bit of foreshadowing showing Conan sitting on a throne, and the opening narrator proclaimed him destined to wear a crown, or to quote something like "destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aqualonious upon a troubled brow". This is one 80's action flick where where you can actually star Arnie and have him play his actual age, playing the role of an aging king.

I liked the 2011 Conan movie. It was reminiscent of the 80's action movies, the ones you know weren't serious but presented themselves as if they were.

You seem to have called him:
the Schwarzenegger

Can I just request that from now on, we solely refer to Arnold as this?

What? no sequel to Kindergarden Cop?

HA! just kidding!

I'll be adding this to my list of films to look forward to, alongside Avengers 2, The Hobbit, and that live-action Justice League movie I heard is gonna be made.

I hope it has Rose McGowan in it again.

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if that was a good movie or bad. Why we saw it, or why we liked it. All that matters is that movie stood against many sequels. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me it won't suck! And if you do not listen, then the HELL with you!

Why not, no matter how bad/cheesy a role he is given, you can't dislike Arnold Schwarzenegger! If you dislike Schwarzenegger, then you fail at life (don't argue, just go with it)

1. Arnie kept his word when he said he'd be back!
2. Fast and Furious 6??? WTF?
3. I liked both sequel and, much as I hate to admit it, last year's reboot.
4. Arnie!

I actually really like the sound of the general premise, however:

Fanghawk:
"Think of this as Conan's Unforgiven."

Those are some pretty big boots to fill.

If they could make it more in line with Discworld's Cohen the Barbarian that'd be just shiny.

(For those not in the know, Cohen is a deliberate parody of Conan. It covers what his life would be like if he was never killed in battle and just kept winning all his epic adventures...)

Omega500:
Loved Conan (not that one with thingy from stargate

With any luck it will be a musical http://youtu.be/OBGOQ7SsJrw

Damn you... I finally got this song unstuck from my head.

OT: While I do love the original Conan movie (and the recent reboot was functional, but not great), I predict disaster for this movie. The problem is that the original team behind Conan the Barbarian (including Oliver Stone) had a very distinct and intriguing way of portraying this character. All subsequent attempts to capture the same magic on screen have largely failed because it's entirely too easy to go into the realm of terrible campiness.

Im actually really happy about this, Arnold was the star basically all my favourite action movies, i just want more of the style only he can seem to bring to movies when doing it solo.

Marter:
sadface.jpg

Why couldn't we try to use that reboot that happened just last year? At least try to make it work? Y'know, that thing that money was put into and stuff? And it was kinda fun?

BURN THE WITCH! Arnie is the one true Conan!

Ah who am I kidding, it'll be shocking. Could they not have gotten anyone else for the script? But then again I'll just be happy watching Arnie smash heads again, speaking of which I may have to go watch the original again.

Fasckira:
If they could make it more in line with Discworld's Cohen the Barbarian that'd be just shiny.

(For those not in the know, Cohen is a deliberate parody of Conan. It covers what his life would be like if he was never killed in battle and just kept winning all his epic adventures...)

I was just about to post very much this (although awesome picture! thanks).

They should totally get Pratchett to write it. I'd love to see Arnie as a genuine old barbarian hero in the Cohen vein. But I'm not sure he's enough of an actual actor to pull it off.

If they script and plan this right, it could be a great way to end Schwarzeneggers Conan. I'm guessing John Milius wants nothing to do with directing this

Marter:
sadface.jpg

Indeed, the remake wasn't as good as Scharzenegger's original movie, but it was pretty entertaining and competent in what it attempted to achieve, fixing it with a sequel would be easy. In my opinion the main problem was the huge amount of events happening all of a suuden, I mean, one second they're fighting in a boat, the next they are already fighting in a island, don't get me wrong, I think the movie SHOULD be short as it was, but it should do a bit less in terms of the speed of the action, yeah too much fast-paced action. But it WAS a good movie nonetheless, and no one who knows Conan should be complaining about that movie, because, heck it's Conan, you can't expect Shakesperian themes, might even ruin the movie's goal.

Anyway, I hated two things in the news about a remake:
1. It says Conan is a Nordic Viking guy, at this point my face twitched but I said to myself "it's a figure of speech, after all, if Conan can be compared to real life warriors, it would be from some viking tribe"
2. All hopes were lost when this dude starts talking about "Conan waiting for one final battle before he reaches the gates of Valhalla", granted, it might be a figure of speech, but... It doesn't seem like it now... Conan is a Cimmerian, his time came, according to lore, after the fall of Atlantis and before the rise of civilizations such as Greece, THERE WERE NO VIKINGS, it's a mythical time to leave an open universe of civilizations unknown to us, sorta like a lost link. It makes no sense to talk about Valhalla. I fear this guy has never read the pulp fiction, I fear all he ever did was watch the movies and look at a few comic book covers...

I'm all up for a movie with an elder king Conan, the first pulp fiction (The Phoenix in the Sword) had him in that position: already a King and an old man, frustrated for he had conquered so much there weren't many battles anymore, one night an assassin invades the caste to kill him or something and he responds by fighting with this magical sword that holds a phoenix inside of it. And then it ends, it's less than 30 pages of story and obviously one would need to radically change that story or come up with a n ew, it barely worked on the book, let alone an adaptation. Anyway, I enjoy the idea of an old Conan, pissed of like a cimmerian Clint Eastwood, but... Respect the lore, he's no viking, he was a barbarian and a pirate, and many other things, but the "viking" culture, the ancient lore of the people of Denmark, Iceland, etc, it doesn't apply for Conan, they're not the same people...

"After the original seminal movie, all that came after looked silly to me," Morgan said.

...Wait... sillier than James Earl Jones straightening a snake? Seriously?

Oh, and Arnold? Jason Momoa is at the door with a broadsword, and apparently he'd like a word.

Nobody actually thinks this is going to be any good, do they?

*slowly backs away, scared*

Callate:

"After the original seminal movie, all that came after looked silly to me," Morgan said.

...Wait... sillier than James Earl Jones straightening a snake? Seriously?

Oh, and Arnold? Jason Momoa is at the door with a broadsword, and apparently he'd like a word.

Yeah the original movie wasn't even THAT good, dunno what all the fuss is about, really.

I don't get the Jason Momoa thing.

Opellulo:
Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if that was a good movie or bad. Why we saw it, or why we liked it. All that matters is that movie stood against many sequels. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me it won't suck! And if you do not listen, then the HELL with you!

You must teach me your ways O' Great One.

On Topic: I think this is a great idea. I've seen the Conan movies a dozen times a piece (asides the abortion we got last year. Sorry Jason Momoa, but your talents were squandered on that piece of shit). And the one thought that always ran through my mind was "this story deserves to be continued, and it deserves to be finished," I'm just so glad that the story might finally be served the sequel it has been waiting for, and the pieces do appear to be falling into place for one fantastic movie.

el_kabong:

OT: While I do love the original Conan movie (and the recent reboot was functional, but not great), I predict disaster for this movie. The problem is that the original team behind Conan the Barbarian (including Oliver Stone) had a very distinct and intriguing way of portraying this character. All subsequent attempts to capture the same magic on screen have largely failed because it's entirely too easy to go into the realm of terrible campiness.

Sorry to disappoint you but the script has been leaked. An ageing Conan realises that the whole big swords and shirtless think is just over compensation and finlay comes out as gay. He tries to marry his boyfriend (played by Justin Bieber) but the kingdom falls into civil war over gay marriage. Conan challenges the baddies to drag off which he wins with the help of the scissor sisters. Conan and his husband live happily ever after.

What is best in life?

To cripple your political career, have extramarital affairs, and hear the lamentations of the women you owe child support.

RandV80:
Remains to be seen if it will be good or not but unlike the usual backlash you get from remakes and unnecessary sequels this actually kind of works. The original Conan the Barbarian movie ended with a bit of foreshadowing showing Conan sitting on a throne, and the opening narrator proclaimed him destined to wear a crown, or to quote something like "destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aqualonious upon a troubled brow". This is one 80's action flick where where you can actually star Arnie and have him play his actual age, playing the role of an aging king.

sums up my feelings well. with all the pointless reboots, sequels and nostalgia cash ins, its nice to see something that has the potetial to work if done right.
plus i'm over the moon to see the Schwarzennegger doing what he does best

So here's an important question, is this going to be a serious Arnold movie (Terminator, Terminator 2 and Total Recall) or a silly Arnold movie (everything else)

This is going to be one of those "it's so bad, it's actually good" movies. I can't fuckin' wait.

CJ1145:

You seem to have called him:
the Schwarzenegger

Can I just request that from now on, we solely refer to Arnold as this?

Best typo ever!

Thanks!

008Zulu:
I liked the 2011 Conan movie. It was reminiscent of the 80's action movies, the ones you know weren't serious but presented themselves as if they were.

I liked the 2011 Conan too. It was very different from the original (which I also liked), meaning that it didn't feel like a pointless retread of old ground. And I loved how the villain's base was a ship on wheels pulled across the ground by teams of slaves. You know that the main reason he did that was just because he could.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here