Gogogic CEO Says Single-Player is a "Gimmick"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Having looked at Gogogic's catalog of games, it's incredibly easy to dismiss this man's opinion.

Either he's trolling, or he doesn't know much about video game history.

While most of the games I play are single-player games, I do enjoy multi-player games sometimes. While some multi-player games are fun, the social part is either nonexistent or poorly executed. If I want to play a social game, I meet with my friends and play a card game or board game.

thesilentman:
"Cue arguments about Yahtzee, Silent Hill 2, Amnesia, Just Cause 2 and just about every damn fine and fun single-player experience since gaming began."

That, Mr. Antonsson, is a recipe for a shitstorm on this forums. Hello? Yahtzee lives here. You're welcome, Mr. Antonsson.

Doesn't take Yahtzee fans to call bullshit on this guy, while he tries to make an interesting point he ends up just trying to insult a large sector of the market. If he wanted to make some overall statement on the evolution of gaming he could have, instead he comes out looking quite biased and stupid for using cheap insults and over-generalizations to promote the style of games his company sells.

NiPah:

thesilentman:
"Cue arguments about Yahtzee, Silent Hill 2, Amnesia, Just Cause 2 and just about every damn fine and fun single-player experience since gaming began."

That, Mr. Antonsson, is a recipe for a shitstorm on this forums. Hello? Yahtzee lives here. You're welcome, Mr. Antonsson.

Doesn't take Yahtzee fans to call bullshit on this guy, while he tries to make an interesting point he ends up just trying to insult a large sector of the market. If he wanted to make some overall statement on the evolution of gaming he could have, instead he comes out looking quite biased and stupid for using cheap insults and over-generalizations to promote the style of games his company sells.

I was trying to make my point about the fact that people don't want to give multiplayer a chance because most of they played is shit as multiplayer. I should have made that more clear. I don't mind having multiplayer, just don't shoehorn it in and make it mandatory.

Personally, I do play my single player games with others. Me, and the developers. We create the experience of a game, all of us working together.

It really is as simple as that. Computer games havent removed the other person, theyve just put some distance in time between me and the other people no different to if, for example, I were playing Chess by mail.

All it means is that, apparently, it makes it easy for arrogant small-time developers to miss the point and make fools of themselves.

Solo-Wing:

I am sorry but I really can't take this seriously. I play Singleplayer all the time and never once thought "Man... This is so retarded. Why did the Developers make this shitty single player campaign?"

You haven't played BF3 apparently.

In other news Skyrim wins overall at the Golden Joysticks....

So you were saying Mr 'I don't fucking know what I'm talking about.'

I like multiplayer, it's fun with my best mate but sometimes you just want some time to yourself..

He's dumb. Not much to it. I was gonna get mad, but I think he'll realize how dumb he was when he reads the backlash over this.

A certain willful ignorance is necessary for a CEO in a sense, you really have to believe your product is actually amazing even when it's not. Look at Steve Jobs, he thought all his "inventions" were magical and revolutionary.

Who the hell are Gogogic games?
Either way, this guy is a douche.

i somewhat understand what he is trying to say but i am confused why somebody would take him serious since most of his games are unknown to the gamer masses to be of any relevance.

this guy is a contender for troll of the year

6565th post :D

Hey errr, Mr Gogogic-CEO-Man? Yuuki Terumi called, He said he's being out-trolled!

Man this guy should go work for EA his stupid would fit right in.

Oh and I think it's far more likely that Social gaming is the gimmick.

disgruntledgamer:
Man this guy should go work for EA his stupid would fit right in.

I don't know. They have some pretty high requirements regarding stupidity. You have to be exceptionally stupid to work for EA. Especially if you want a job in the PR department.

Even though he takes it beyond the point of reasonability (I don't think that's a word but whatever), I sorta agree with where he's coming from. A good multiplayer game shits all over a good single player game every day of the week. Single player can still be good, and certainly has a place, but multiplayer wins out IMO.

Antonsson said. "The first games were designed as multiplayer experiences,

Multiplayer.
Right.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

DustyDrB:
Everyone, join me in saying this: "Who?"

this is what i was about to say.

who is the idiot? and why do i care what this clearly stupid person has to say

It's an evolution from old board games, not a gimmick. Ya silly euro.

This guy is CEO of a company that doesn't even have a wikipedia page.

How sad really, I guess this is his attempt to get free publicity? Shame he's done nothing but anger a bunch of gamers really.

You know, this guy can fuck right off. Hope his company falls through with that opinion.

EDIT: Yeah it's a bit harsh, but w/e - guy's just misinformed:P

That picture and those statements make me want to punch this dude in his throat...I have anger management issues,I'm working on them though.

Despite his theories on the beginnings of single player gaming the fact is, people like both and some like one play style more than the other. I like both. For me multi player gaming is like a virtual competitive sport i.e Killzone, Battlefield, Midnight Club etc. I also like to retreat from my social life and immerse myself in games like Fallout 3 or Deus Ex: HR. Others such as Dark Souls, Borderlands and Ninja Gaiden 2 are great at giving you the option to play with others or by yourself which is very clever. The conclusion is, this guy is a corporate douchebag despite how cool he may be on a personal level and is clearly pushing some bullshit philosophy to increase moneys in multi player circle jerks.

JesterRaiin:

Multiplayer.
Right.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Yeah, because people weren't playing tag or catch since the freaking Stone Age. Games existed before the Atari 2600, kids.

The amount of vitriol in this thread is astounding. And, for the most part, what this dude said was true. Games where originally invented as a social experience. Single player games are really just you playing against the computer instead of another human player out of necessity.

DustyDrB:

My thoughts exactly.
Of course, this man is entitled to his own opinion. But after googling his company and viewing the crap which they churn out, I wouldn't say that he was anyone with any standing.

THIS JUST IN; Some guy on the street who was pooping in a fountain just told me that 'games should be played whilst eating cheese and maple syrup'.

Two word reply to the sir in the specs: Deus Ex.

Quite an interesting statement, considering we occasionally get gems like Skyrim just sweeping the awards. If it's a gimmick, it certainly works. Better than most of the limp, passionless multiplayer knock-offs that's trying to do what Call of Duty is doing, only worse. Förgrymmade öbo där!

In other news: Homeless man says keyboards are "toiletpaper!"

Aka: this man has no credibility in the area of his claims. If he does not understand the value of single player, hes a lousy developer.

Hope he enjoys the 15 minutes of fame he gets from saying this mildly outrageous thing we have heard said before by other people who want attention.

In a Sense it is as the content is watered down,over simplified. Has limited mostly linear content and is over priced(Hello Dishonored). MP/Online is in the same boat just most gamers are to busy fragging each other or playing as girls to give a damn.

BiscuitWheels:

JesterRaiin:

Multiplayer.
Right.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Yeah, because people weren't playing tag or catch since the freaking Stone Age. Games existed before the Atari 2600, kids.

The amount of vitriol in this thread is astounding. And, for the most part, what this dude said was true. Games where originally invented as a social experience. Single player games are really just you playing against the computer instead of another human player out of necessity.

Those games also didn't use a computer are you gonna argue video games are just a fad? The guys whole argument is flawed, how can anyone take the notion of how it started as the only way it should stay seriously?

Who is this social game developping person that hasn't heard of Burnout 3, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 2, Bioshock, Driver San Francisco, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Mass Effect 2, Batman Arkham City, Batman Arkham Asylum, Tetris, Super Mario, Final Fantasy, Diablo II, Torchlight 2, Burnout Paradise, Dishonored, Castlevania Symphony Of The Night, Psychonauts, Brutal Legend, Metal Gear Solid, God Of War, Portal, Devil May Cry, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon, Rayman, Metroid Prime, Super Metroid, The Legend Of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Silent Hill 2, Amnesia The Dark Descent, Persona 4, Journey, Shadow Of The Colossus, Ico, Jak And Daxter, Need For Speed Underground, Need For Speed Most Wanted ?

Bernzz:
Yeah okay. Have fun convincing Bethesda that single player is a gimmick and nothing more.

You mean the company that is taking their historically single player franchise and making an MMO out of it?

I think he might have a point, even if he doesn't realize it. Think about it, all AI is is another person that has been made to play with. Almost every single player game has some sort of AI or something that represents another person to play with.

DustyDrB:

I normally don't join in the common "who" whenever a unknown name from a big company sais something but...

Who the fuck is this? And what the hell is "Gogogic"? I never heard of them, try to google that stuff.

Well then, screw you, too.
I bet he hates it when people read books on their own, also.

webepoop:
I think he might have a point, even if he doesn't realize it. Think about it, all AI is is another person that has been made to play with. Almost every single player game has some sort of AI or something that represents another person to play with.

More often than not, it represents another person or persons to play against.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here