Celebrities Wage War in New Black Ops II Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Celebrities Wage War in New Black Ops II Trailer

Robert Downey Jr. takes flight to promote Activision's latest shooter.

Black Ops II launch day is nearly upon us, and to help stoke the furnaces of the hype train, Activision brought in some Hollywood talent for its latest trailer. Officially titled Surprise, the new ad features the likes of Robert Downey Jr., French actor Omar Sy, as well as web celebs iJustine and Kyle Myers (better known by his YouTube handle FPS Russia). The trailer - which was directed by Guy Ritchie, of all people - sees the familiar faces duke it out in an urban battlefield.

The fight takes place in 2025 in Los Angeles, and includes weaponized robots, killer drones, and flying soldiers. Downey Jr. is seen piloting a jet for a brief moment before meeting an untimely demise.

The Call of Duty series is no stranger to live-action ads, and last year's There's a Soldier in All of Us trailer featured both Sam Worthington (Avatar, Terminator Salvation) and Jonah Hill (Superbad, 21 Jump Street). But regardless of how many "hardcore" players you run into online - or if you yourself are one of them - it's nice to see the game being promoted for what it is: A high-budget, cheesy war game with more explosions than it knows what to do with.

Well... fuck...

Now I have no choice but to buy this game.

They actually put FPSRussia in there? Huh.

I guess its better than some guy rasping "War is war and war is like fucking war Jesus Christ I'm so fucking cool and hardened did I mention war yet", then some explosions, and then the imposing sight of BLACK COCKS 2 - GET FUCKED IN THE ASS BY ACTIVISION YET AGAIN, GUESS MW3 WASN'T ENOUGH OF A WARNING FOR YOU SUCKERS".

Well, that was vile. Heres a picture of a kitten to make up for it.

This is why I like Call of Duty. It knows it's silly and embraces it instead of trying to tug at your heart strings like some other games.

And zombies would make an awesome kill streak.

Should have gotten Bruce Campbell to say that last line :P. A fun trailer nonetheless.

Nouw:
Should have gotten Bruce Campbell to say that last line :P. A fun trailer nonetheless.

Thank God im not the only person thinking that.

Heres to hoping he gets added in to Zombies as a PC.

wow, this trailer shows perfectly what is wrong with cod, was ANYONE killed by getting shot in this trailer? maybe i missed something but everyone got killed by some gimmicky streak-reward-thing

Damn it, now I want a fucking horse in a CoD game.

Can someone please tell me who half these people are?
I recognise Robert Downie Jr., FPS Russia, iJustine, but that's it. Who else is there?

I must admit that the trailer was pretty great. So much in fact that it almost makes me want to buy the game. I still don't but that trailer was just too great. Did I mention that I really liked that trailer? That it was great even? :p

Captcha: '; drop table users; Umm, okay?

I'm not buying BLOPS2

but that was fucking awesome no matter how I spin it.

teebeeohh:
wow, this trailer shows perfectly what is wrong with cod, was ANYONE killed by getting shot in this trailer? maybe i missed something but everyone got killed by some gimmicky streak-reward-thing

Well now they're all streaks...
on the pavement >)

Hmmm... 'Back in Black' featured prominently in the soundtrack? Nice to see CoD's ad campaign is as unoriginal as its gameplay.

[flame shield activated]

So by celebrities, they mean Robert Downey Jr oh and a couple people from youtube. Well at least they could afford 3 seconds of Downey. As for the game, I'm still unimpressed.

Hopefully the multiplayer is as good as Black Ops I. MW3 was the first time I actually felt like the multiplayer regressed a bit.

Still, I'll be buying this within the first week most likely. Sure, it's the video game equivalent of junk food, but that's why we like it.

teebeeohh:

It only shows one person getting killed at the end by a streak and three dead total. The rest were, in order:

1) Sniper rifle
2) Throwing axe
3) Assault rifle (with x-ray vision)
4) Assault drones (likely a streak, if available)
5) F-35 variant (definitely a streak along the lines of the BO gunship)
6) Jet Drone (likely a streak)
7) Semtex (grenade slot, horses are likely only in the campaign and PvE scenarios) - Kill confirmed x 2
8) Helo Drone ("Dragonfire?" Likely a streak)
9) Cluster bomb (Definitely a streak) - Kill confirmed

Whoever does PR for Treyarch is doing a hell of a lot better than whoever was doing it for Infinity Ward.

"Lets add one celeb and a bunch of "celebs" in an ad because our craptastic game can't stand on it's own two legs"

that's what I took away from this ad

Not a CoD fan but that trailer was awesome.

Zombies... Groovy...

Blunderboy:
Damn it, now I want a fucking horse in a CoD game.

I believe there is going to be in this one, hence why it is in the trailer. Don't know if it'll be in the multiplayer, mind, but I'm sure I saw something about horses being in the campaign.

Anyway,

Rather looking forward to this now.

I have been wondering for a couple of years now if the marketing budget is actually greater then the development budget.

The Gentleman:

1) Sniper rifle
2) Throwing axe
3) Assault rifle (with x-ray vision)
4) Assault drones (likely a streak, if available)
5) F-35 variant (definitely a streak along the lines of the BO gunship)
6) Jet Drone (likely a streak)
7) Semtex (grenade slot, horses are likely only in the campaign and PvE scenarios) - Kill confirmed x 2
8) Helo Drone ("Dragonfire?" Likely a streak)
9) Cluster bomb (Definitely a streak) - Kill confirmed

so out of nine weapons shown in action two are actual guns (and i don't care if throwing axes take the slot of a gun, they are not guns) and only one gets fired and that is to shoot a fucking axe. still leaves my point that they felt the need to showcase all the ways you can not shoot people in the head and still get kills, which is weird in a game that should be about being better at shooting people in the head than the other guy

Kmadden2004:
Hmmm... 'Back in Black' featured prominently in the soundtrack? Nice to see CoD's ad campaign is as unoriginal as its gameplay.

[flame shield activated]

Considering that the whole Ad campaign has been: "The Future is Black," it makes sense to have Back in Black in the soundtrack, plus hell it's a good song.

You know I am pretty sure: Escapist and Call of Duty Hate are becoming synonymous. :/

teebeeohh:
still leaves my point that they felt the need to showcase all the ways you can not shoot people in the head and still get kills, which is weird in a game that should be about being better at shooting people in the head than the other guy

CoD multiplayer has always been about one thing (mostly): get a higher body count than anyone else. The method itself is irrelevant. You can use a rifle, shotgun, grenade, RPG, predator missile, dogs, whatever. Hell, some of the most insane kills in MW2 were done by guys with only knifes and pistols.

One of the great things about CoD:BO was the wager system, where you would put down monopoly money on daily challenges that often had you change up your routine ("5 headshots with [SMG] in 40 minutes playtime"). Harder/stricter challenges had higher buy-ins and much higher rewards ("earn 3 [9-kill streak reward] within 40 minutes playtime"). It was the one thing that I really felt was missed in the MW3 multiplayer and hope it will be back in BOII.

Korten12:

Kmadden2004:

[flame shield activated]

Considering that the whole Ad campaign has been: "The Future is Black," it makes sense to have Back in Black in the soundtrack, plus hell it's a good song.

You know I am pretty sure: Escapist and Call of Duty Hate are becoming synonymous. :/

Not saying it ain't a good song, it's just overused now. It's the immediate go-to song practically every marketing department clutches on to to try and sound awesome and relevant.

It's basically this generation's 'Song 2'.

And I don't hate CoD, I'm just tired of it. I'm tired of the sausage-factory output of games that are happy to coast by with nary a hint of challenge or variety from game-to-game, or even level-to-level.

Which is depressing, because CoD4 (which should have set the tone more than its sequels did) was awesome.

The Gentleman:

teebeeohh:
still leaves my point that they felt the need to showcase all the ways you can not shoot people in the head and still get kills, which is weird in a game that should be about being better at shooting people in the head than the other guy

CoD multiplayer has always been about one thing (mostly): get a higher body count than anyone else. The method itself is irrelevant. You can use a rifle, shotgun, grenade, RPG, predator missile, dogs, whatever. Hell, some of the most insane kills in MW2 were done by guys with only knifes and pistols.

One of the great things about CoD:BO was the wager system, where you would put down monopoly money on daily challenges that often had you change up your routine ("5 headshots with [SMG] in 40 minutes playtime"). Harder/stricter challenges had higher buy-ins and much higher rewards ("earn 3 [9-kill streak reward] within 40 minutes playtime"). It was the one thing that I really felt was missed in the MW3 multiplayer and hope it will be back in BOII.

the last cod i liked was when it was still about getting headshots with bolt-action-rifles. because when i got killed i knew that i got killed because someone was better than me, either because they were a better shot or because they managed to get the jump on me.
now i don't mind the inclusion of assault rifles as much because it still takes skill to shoot someone with that but when 90% of my death are from some kind of explosive damage or minigun fire from a chopper i don't feel like i was beaten by someone who is better than me. i also don't get any satisfaction out of getting kills with streak rewards or grenades.

lol. Pretty good.

Robert Downey Jr. pretty much made the whole video, though.

And I have to ask: What does ijustine have to do with COD? FPSRussia I can see, but ijustine?

I don't really get into Call of Duty, but I like their marketing. I like the trailer for the first Black Ops a little bit better, though.

Sure, I'm tired of CoD and I don't really like it, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the nifty trailers they put out every year.

teebeeohh:
the last cod i liked was when it was still about getting headshots with bolt-action-rifles. because when i got killed i knew that i got killed because someone was better than me, either because they were a better shot or because they managed to get the jump on me.
now i don't mind the inclusion of assault rifles as much because it still takes skill to shoot someone with that but when 90% of my death are from some kind of explosive damage or minigun fire from a chopper i don't feel like i was beaten by someone who is better than me. i also don't get any satisfaction out of getting kills with streak rewards or grenades.

Just because they didn't use a rifle doesn't mean they don't have skills. That is a serious false premise right there.

Most weapons have a cost/benefit analysis associated with them, and pretty much all of them equal out in the macro sense.

Examples:

An M60 Machine Gun is easily the most powerful MG in both CoD:BO and MW3, but it is really heavy, takes forever to get your eyes down the sights, and has a really slow rate of fire compared to, say, SMGs or even the lighter machine guns.

The most powerful long ranged weapons in MW3 are the bolt action rifles (and are the only ones that can oneshot without a headshot on normal modes), but you loose a huge rate of fire over the semi- and fully-automatic rifles.

The hinge-action shotguns are the most powerful short range weapons, but they're effective range is about 3m and you get two shots before you're murdered while reloading.

The most powerful rifles are single and burst shot, but heaven help you if you don't have the speed/latency to line up the sights on a guy before he moves.

And SMGs are a build-a-gun workshop of rate-of-fire, bullet damage, stability, kick, magazine size, and accuracy.

There is only one type of game in CoD where luck can trump skill (and, even then, skill and map knowledge can mitigate that factor significantly) and that is the Hardcore mode, where 1 shot, 1 kill applies to everything except SMGs (they get 3 shots) and intel streaks (such as UAVs) and bulletproof vests can turn a game.

Yes, some kid can still kill you on sheer luck, but when the game plays out, the better players still rise to the top and the rest learn to adapt.

I think the first Black ops "There's a Soldier in All of Us" trailer was better

Really? iJustine? I can't believe she's pretending she's any good at games.

Well, at least RDJ and FPS Russia are there. So that's good.

They should have had Totalbuiscuit in the trailer. whenever i see him play a fps he always dominates. But hey thats just me. What i wouldnt mind knowing is

WHO ,BESIDES RDJ, IJUSTINE, AND FPSRUSSIA, ARE THOSE PEOPLE IN THE TRAILER i gots to know!

i would preorder but i'm short on money D:

That was hilarious. I was a little miffed that the picture the Escapist has next to the article header is that of a zombie. I thought we got a new zombie trailer. LIES I say! However, this was still amazing.
And we have zombies at the end. So we're good. Smiles everyone.

Good trailer, if you really love watching footage of celebrities pretend to play video games instead of actual game footage.

But the more appropriate ending would be to cut to a black screen with the following text: "Surprise, players! This game will boast a terrible campaign that's about 4 hours long, so you'll be stuck farming multiplayer for hundreds of hours to rationalize the $60 price tag to yourself. You know, just like every CoD game in the past several years!"

(I expect someone to complain about this post so I'll add this: yes, I know you consider the multiplayer to more than rationalize the price. Here's my question: will it make any significant changes from the previous title, and if not, how do you rationalize the price tag if it ends up being essentially Black Ops 1's multiplayer rehashed with a few new weapons and stages? Yeah, 'swhat I thought. Better be some darn good maps and weapons, not to mention a darn good reason they couldn't just DLC it onto the original Black Ops. A good reason, mind, not "because we like money a lot".)

I must be so completely out of the loop cause I recognized maybe 2 of those celebrities.

teebeeohh:

uhhhh...... i think the girl on the horse got those two guys with a sticky and the guy in the jet got taken down by a missile but i think that MIGHT be a kill reward thing but it could be one of the secondary's

I think the girl with the tomahawks would be killed by the sniper she was trying to kill or the guy who shot the tomahawk out of her hand

but i think that is it

My enjoyment of this game will be made all the more sweeter by the bitching hordes telling me it's killing the industry and all their other go to cliches.

Now gtfo of my tower, your boots are scuffing the ivory.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here