Valve Scares Up a Steam Halloween Sale

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Valve Scares Up a Steam Halloween Sale

It's time for another excuse to throw your money at Valve.

These deals are so good, it's spooky! Or scary. Or whatever. Disembowlingly cheap, you might say. The stuff nightmares are made of! If your nightmares are made up of some pretty awesome games at dirt-cheap prices, that is.

You know what, let's skip the usual horsing around and cut right to it. Halloween is coming and that's a good enough reason for the good folks at Valve to hold another sale. As usual, there's lots of quality gaming on the block, more than 80 titles in all, including Condemned: Criminal Origins for $7.49, Alan Wake for $14.99, F.E.A.R. 3 for $4.99 (I guess that was a bit of a bomb, eh?), Left 4 Dead 2 at $4.99, Amnesia: The Dark Descent for $4.99, I Am Alive for $11.24, Dead Space 2 for $4.99 and a whole bunch more.

The truly poor and/or cheap can get in on the action too, with bargoon fare like F.E.A.R. 2 (which was actually pretty good and had one of my favorite endings ever) for $3.49, Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened for $2.49, Limbo for $2.49 and a Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death VII double-pack for 99 cents. Ka-blammo!

There's plenty of other stuff up for grabs, all of which I could list for you here, or you could just head over to the 2012 Steam Halloween Sale and check it out for yourself. Yes, let's do that instead. Don't forget your wallet!

I think I'll pass this sale, I'm saving for the inevitable and much better winter sale.

I've been meaning to check out the F.E.A.R. games, so I s'pose I'll get those. But the real kicker for me is Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit. I'd planned on getting that one anyway, so seeing it on sale is just an excuse to hurry up and get it sooner.

P.S. Thanks

Oh so very tempted to get so many things with this sale. Damn you Steam, it's like being in a sweet shop with tooth ache, you know you probably shouldn't buy anything...

But just one little purchase couldn't hurt that much right? XD

Must.... resist.... wallet no wut r u doing... WALLET STAHP

But seriously. These are sweet deals but gonna hold out till Holiday sale

Valve sales make your money disappear faster than horny teenagers on vacation in the woods.

Sales never work on me. I never buy something just because it's on sale.

*goes to check out the sale*

..... damn.

For the first time ever I have actually have money to spend, so I already got Painkiller Complete pack, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Deadlight, Stalker: Call of Pripyat and there's a few other titles I'm considering.
And there's plenty left for when the holiday sales set in as well.

This sale is 2spooky4me

Got Dead Space for 2.49 euros. I have been meaning to check it out for a while now.

I have now bought Fallout: New Vegas four times. Once when it was originally released for the 360. Twice when it was on sale in the summer (for even cheaper than this) for a couple friends who had it on their wish list. And now again, because I'm on a PC and not a Mac anymore.

Totally worth it.

As for the rest of the sale. I hate horror, so I'm immune to everything else!

Snagged the Orcs Must Die 2 pack. If anyone else wants it get the pack, it ends up getting you the game and 2x dlc for the price of game and 1x dlc.

Not sure how Rage would qualify for this, but whatever. It's a good game, well worth $10.

Also, image related:

Such a shame. Sale prices based on overpriced base prices, forfeiture of rights, intrinsically less value due to not actually owning anything other than a useless license that can be revoked with or without reason, inherently less value by virtue of being a license.

Steam has rendered its sales useless.

All the potential good brought by sales, cannot counter all the damage done.

There were...! A grand total of zero games that I was interested in.

But because Halloween is my favorite holiday, I celebrated the sale by buying everyone on my friend's list four games from their wishlist. One person got six though.

viranimus:
Such a shame. Sale prices based on overpriced base prices, forfeiture of rights, intrinsically less value due to not actually owning anything other than a useless license that can be revoked with or without reason, inherently less value by virtue of being a license.

Until you realize that it's the same for disks, too. You don't own the content on the disk, you just buy the license to use it. That can be revoked at any time, too.

Well, I've been meaning to get FO: New Vegas for a while now, and 15 bucks for the ultimate edition is too good to pass up. *sigh*. Valve is going to make me go broke

I'm planning on getting Fallout 3 (for 5 bucks) just for the modding community behind it. I already have New Vegas on console, but i traded in FO3 ages ago for some reason, so now's my chance to have a really great game with a near infinite amount of mod support behind it.

gamersgate is having a sale as well.. sigh having money was nice

Grabbed the L4D2 deal so I can finally do more of the LP for it. Other than that I've got money left over for the mighty winter sale.
Related to this:
Ironically that price is how much the L4D double pack cost.
Edit: Just saw Fallout 3 GoTY edition on sale for $9.99...I don't need it since I have it on both the Xbox and PS3...but then again there are mods...*purchases*
Damn it Steam! This is what I feared you'd do to me once I made my account. T.T

I have a feeling that this will be the catalyst for yet another "Steam sux" thread.

Anyway, I'm out of money as usual at this time. Oh well, maybe there will be a sell come Christmas.

Let's see, which of these games do I not already own...

Wait wait wait... you LIKED the FEAR 2 ending???
I mean, I'll give them that it was an incredibly ballsy ending to put into a game, but it was pretty silly.

Ahh! I have money in my wallet and now can afford to do fun stuff with friends. Life is good.

*sees Steam Sale*

... ... ...Ahhh, fuck.

viranimus:

Oh great, another one of these...

Hey, you know what I found in my step-father's basement the other day? An original manual for Microsoft Flight Simulator printed in 1986. Wanna take a guess as to what the license agreement text (and yes, it was already called an End User License Agreement) inside says? You own 1 license for 1 install on 1 machine, all rights remain with the publisher, revocable at any time, etc.
What about another old manual? I got one for Starcraft from 1998. Do you think for one second that that EULA is any different?
It isn't.

News flash: You have never ever owned a video game. Software has always been sold as licenses. You have only ever owned limited-use revocable software licenses. Used console games are a thing because the EULAs have a provision to allow license transferral under certain conditions and only console games because they are tied to their disc (for now).

Overpriced base prices? Hint: The publishers are the only ones who get to set those. Same with the sale prices by the way (as if Valve could slash or raise prices on products that aren't theirs...)

Oh man... anyone want to assure me that Dead Island's price will be $5 during the winter sale so I don't buy it now?

viranimus:

Pssst, this has always been the case. There are games from the 80s and 90s which did the exact same thing in their EULAs.

The only thing that's changed recently is that technology hadn't previously advanced far enough where the company could actually enforce their EULAs. Now they can do so with a variety of methods, ranging from forced online play, to codes and serial numbers (which are also aimed to limit/restrict used game sales), to Steam. Hell, Sony and Microsoft have both looked at potentially building anti-cracking/hacking code into their next-gen console to make it much harder to run a burnt or cracked copy of a game. Incidentally, they've also been working on technology to insert ads into your video games which ALSO might appear in their next-gen, so it's safe to say that all signs point to their next-gen consoles being piles of DRM-and-ad-ridden bullshit that's easily worse than Steam.

Oh, and don't think you're safe if you're a PC user. On the contrary, you're even more vulnerable than the console users. PCs are susceptible to the same garbage to a much greater extreme due to their ease of internet access. Expect many games in your PC-playing future to be filled with similar design choices built into the game purely to restrict or shut off your access at their whim. It *will* happen.

So....unless you intend to never buy a video game again, expect to see more and more of it as time goes on. It doesn't really make sense to bitch about one of the few decent DRM-filled services when there are certainly far worse hands you'll likely have to place your faith in for future AAA titles.

hah jokes on you steam I already spent my gaming budget for the month!

Mr.Tea:
S n i p

Oh great, another one of these...

Why is this so difficult, when it is so fundamental? The idea you dont own a video game is WRONG. The provision people pull up refers to taking a game, altering it, claiming the altered work based on the original work as your own. Sort of like lets say, using a dev tool kit from say bioware or bethesda, creating a full fledged content mod of that base game, say dragon age and repackaging that content mod as a full product of your own design.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the inherent ability to use the purchased product as one wishes. That is why this thinking is and has and will always be incorrect.

As for the base pricing. Look for yourself.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218640/
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/lucius

This is far from the only example. Just an easy one to illustrate.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

CriticKitten:

Expect many games in your PC-playing future to be filled with similar design choices built into the game purely to restrict or shut off your access at their whim. It *will* happen.

So....unless you intend to never buy a video game again, expect to see more and more of it as time goes on. It doesn't really make sense to bitch about one of the few decent DRM-filled services when there are certainly far worse hands you'll likely have to place your faith in for future AAA titles.

This is exactly why this is happening. Not because of it being the right thing.. because people for some insane reason are accepting it as a reason.

Psst, heres a little hint, If people stop buying games that have these problems, game publishers will have to relent under that pressure. Saying it WILL happen is wrong, because at this point we as consumers still hold the power to stop this customer abuse. It makes every reason to bitch about it, because the naive are what is allowing this to happen, and not saying anything is just as damaging. Thats why. When we see a diablo add always online required for single player be rewarded by massive sales instead of completely boycotted, you are allowing something blatantly wrong to occur because it tells all developers, despite it being a feature people have no reason to want, it will still sell.

Im sorry, but this type of thinking is not only incorrect, it is hurting all gamers, because it is ignoring fundamentals that were established long before video gaming came into the picture.

And it must be said again and again and again, until people stop hurting others with their neglectful approach that allows corporate interest to override individual freedom and protection. As long as it continues it cannot stop because they will not stop.

I don't need that Breath of Death/Cthulu Saves the World thing, but for 99 cents it seems like a nice deal.

viranimus:
This is exactly why this is happening. Not because of it being the right thing.. because people for some insane reason are accepting it as a reason.

Because it's going to happen whether you like it or not. I didn't say I liked it, I said that's how it is. Sorry but I live in reality, where youthful rebelliousness and optimism are dimmed and extinguished by the harsh truths of the world. "Stick it to the man" speech is pointless in a conflict you've already lost, it's akin to trying to rally the troops about five years after your country was squashed by an invading army. Too little, too late.

Psst, heres a little hint, If people stop buying games that have these problems, game publishers will have to relent under that pressure. Saying it WILL happen is wrong, because at this point we as consumers still hold the power to stop this customer abuse.

No, you lost control years ago.

The current market is dominated by gamers who will effectively buy anything that's advertised to them, and even if they're disappointed by one iteration they'll STILL buy the next one.

Face it, the sort of gamer you see on the Escapist is hardly the majority. If it was, Diablo 3 and all of the other games to introduce DRM and forced online play of similar design wouldn't sell like they do. But they do. The only reasonable explanation for this is that the number of people who care about these things is already vastly outnumbered by people who don't.

It makes every reason to bitch about it, because the naive are what is allowing this to happen, and not saying anything is just as damaging. Thats why. When we see a diablo add always online required for single player be rewarded by massive sales instead of completely boycotted, you are allowing something blatantly wrong to occur because it tells all developers, despite it being a feature people have no reason to want, it will still sell.

Because it *will* still sell.

Did you miss the part where Diablo 3 sold almost 3 million copies despite a supposedly "massive" boycott by various people for various reasons? And it's hardly the first or only example of a game with bad practices still selling fantastically. It's already reached a point where serial IDs and codes are common-place for games and DLC now, and used games will be the next target. That one might be more of a battle if only because it'll pit corporations against each other, but the momentum has swung in favor of the game development industry.

Face it, the numbers are not on your side. You and your friends can say "I'm gonna boycott this bad business practice", but you're already outnumbered by the gullible and stupid 10-year olds who scream curses on Call of Duty. You can feel proud of yourself for not buying a game, but the company doesn't care, they sold a few million copies anyways so why should they mind losing you? You can keep trying to "fight the good fight" all you want, but it's a battle you've already lost. The majority has ruled, and the minority isn't loud enough to shout over them any more.

Im sorry, but this type of thinking is not only incorrect, it is hurting all gamers, because it is ignoring fundamentals that were established long before video gaming came into the picture.

See that's the thing. No, it's really not.

The same logic has always applied to all forms of software. Both the Windows and Apple OS are sold with EULAs and a license-basis to them, and have been since they became commercial products. Virtually every other type of software, whether on CD or otherwise, is sold in this fashion and comes with a similar licensing agreement. This isn't some new-fangled concept that started with video games, it's been a fundamental fact of software since it became a commercial product.

Software is sold on a license basis, whether the distribution is physical or digital. Always has been. The only way that fact is going to change is federal or international legislation that forces companies to recognize software sales as private property that cannot be taken from a customer once purchased, and so far that hasn't happened. Or at least not on a large scale, because no one person can afford to fight a company in court. In fact, companies have already begun adding lines to their licensing agreements to prevent you from pressing a class-action suit, specifically to keep this sort of thing from happening, so good luck trying to organize a suit in that respect.

And it must be said again and again and again, until people stop hurting others with their neglectful approach that allows corporate interest to override individual freedom and protection. As long as it continues it cannot stop because they will not stop.

I appreciate the rah-rah-freedom speech but it's pointless. Bitching about Steam on a private forum like the Escapist is hardly raising your voice aloud to the people in a rallying cry. You're not going to convince anyone into rebellion on the internet. If you truly feel so strongly about it, go picket outside game studios and organize, ya know, an actual physical boycott. Make signs, barricade GameStops, get outside and actually make your point heard instead of posting it on a forum that no game studio in the world even reads.

viranimus:

Well aren't you sophisticated; you're so cool and informed.

OT: Got Fallout 3 finally.

Can someone please tell me more about Condemned? I'm always on the look out for horror/actioney games. I've heard its a gorey actioney game, but not much more than that. Thinking of getting this on sale. Let me know!

Cheers

viranimus:

In you and a few others, yes.

Some of us aren't completely paranoid that corporations that require our business aren't out to steal all our things. WE'RE the ones that keep the sales strong.

If you actually think attention being brought to a years-old TOS section is going to topple the power of the Steam sale, you're six or seven different kinds of naive.

If you're talking entirely personally, then... yay for you?

Macgyvercas:
Ahh! I have money in my wallet and now can afford to do fun stuff with friends. Life is good.

*sees Steam Sale*

... ... ...Ahhh, fuck.

ah well, its better to spend money on steam then on stupid things like food, school, and medicine. i mean seriously, after you buy farm sim 18 for 35 cents you will have enough sorghum and strawberries to feed an army and a degree in agriculture to boot. assuming you play on hard mode.

Mr.Tea:

Overpriced base prices? Hint: The publishers are the only ones who get to set those. Same with the sale prices by the way (as if Valve could slash or raise prices on products that aren't theirs...)

then i guess its handy that all most all that over priced crap the major publishers turn out is less interesting then to me then watching grass grow.

OT: i heard, i got They Bleed Pixels. it has been .... unkind to me .... to put it mildly, but I'm enjoying it more then super meat boy, if only due to the main character being more interesting

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here