Myst Fan Builds "Real" Linking Book

Myst Fan Builds "Real" Linking Book

This "working" replica of the book that opened the famed adventure classic Myst is nothing short of amazing.

Stand by to behold the coolest thing you'll see all day: A "real" Myst linking book created by a dedicated and talented fan by the name of Mike Ando. Others have built similar books for display, but this one is special for a number of reasons. It doesn't just display a rolling trailer, it actually contains playable versions of Myst Masterpiece Edition, realMyst, Riven DVD Edition, Riven Elementary, Myst III: Exile, Myst IV: Revelation, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst and The Path of the Shell expansion, Myst V: End of Ages, plus - that's not all! - The Manhole Masterpiece Edition and Crowthistle. And if that's not cool enough, it's all packed inside the book that was actually used as a model for the first Myst linking book, a 135-year-old edition of Harper's New Monthly Magazine.

Ando said he discovered which book served as the prop during a visit to Cyan Worlds in 2006, but the process of getting his hands on his own copy was somewhat more complicated than just going down to the local bookshop. "Local bookbinding companies rounded up the unsold copies, then bound them together every six months, using whatever cheap binding material they had left over. As far as my research uncovered, it looks like there was at least three binding companies who used a combined total of 14 different material sets/binding techniques," he explained. "You can tell some differences by low-resolution eBay photos but many things can only be discerned by closely measuring & inspecting a book. I ended up just buying every single book that matched everywhere I could find. For five years straight."

He gutted the book and built the device using the smallest components he could find, aiming for the lowest-possible power consumption in order to minimize heat. The CPU is a 1.6 GHz Intel Z530P, storage comes by way of a 32GB CF card, a three-cell lithium ion battery provides up to two hours of gameplay on a charge and everything is displayed on a five-inch LED running at 640x480 with a touch-screen overlay serving as the primary input. Ando ballparked the "raw material cost" of the book at around $3000 and said it took six years of on-and-off hunting to come up with suitable components, with "mid-hundreds of hours" invested in actually making it.

It's gorgeous work, and now that it's complete Ando said it will be given a place on his "Shelf of Awesome," likely between his meteroites and set of titanium cutlery. "I collect anything that sounds awesome, from radioactive isotopes to a mechanical pocketwatch from Greenwich Observatory," he said. "Everyone needs a hobby."

Source: Riumplus.com

Seriously, I may or may not have screamed with utter joy when I saw this. I'm a major Myst fan, and having this book would utterly complete my whole life.

Whelp, time to get a loan...

What he's done here is nothing short of amazing. It's too bad it's gone to waste on a mediocre series of nothing but moon logic puzzles.

P.S. Thanks

[Windows boot screen]

as a fan of the series I died.
so very much.
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
otherwise? pretty awesome, yep.

lacktheknack:

I WILL FIGHT YOU TO THE DEATH OVER THIS.

Can we make this a flame war about myst puzzle quality, please? I'd have so much to contribute.

Covarr:
What he's done here is nothing short of amazing. It's too bad it's gone to waste on a mediocre series of nothing but moon logic puzzles.

P.S. Thanks

I WILL FIGHT YOU TO THE DEATH OVER THIS.

While this book IS really cool, and he did a fantastic job, I couldn't help but notice this bit:

And if that's not cool enough, it's all packed inside the book that was actually used as a model for the first Myst linking book, a 135-year-old edition of Harper's New Monthly Magazine.

He took a 135 year old book and turned it into a video game? Part of me thinks that's awesome as hell, but another part of me says that this is a tad disrespectful towards antiques.

Granted, the article implies that many many more of these books exist, so it isn't a problem right now, but still.

That can't be a real Myst book. Where are the red and blue pages?

Andy Chalk:
Last picture.

Oh thanks.

DVS BSTrD:

Last picture.

I've never played any of the Myst titles and I'm not interested on playing them, as they're not my type of games.

Having said that, WOW... that's got to be one of the awesomest things I've ever seen in a while.

Now, I wonder if someone enterprising enough would make an interactive Lusty Argonian book...

This is utterly and completely awesome. However...

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

You take that back. YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

/me stifles sudden sob

Seriously, I know this is just a question of preference and perspective, but you have to consider that Myst was mind-boggling for its time. I remember having the choice between helping Atrus save Catherine, around 1994, or, I dunno, being subjected to the first Daikatana rumours or braindead, raunchy bullshit la Duke Nukem 3D or Shadow Warrior.

As for the puzzles being of the Moon Logic type - well, duh. Myst isn't Earth, and each Age is designed to be self-contained. You're looking at the baby steps of a centuries-spanning canon; of course some parts of the initial lore are going to feel a bit wonky. It took Riven for the puzzles to begin to make a tad more sense in context - a trend that Exile and End of Ages didn't sustain. Revelations was closer to a "Riven" feel, overall.

lacktheknack:

Seriously, I may or may not have screamed with utter joy when I saw this. I'm a major Myst fan, and having this book would utterly complete my whole life.

How do you get your Avatar to do that? That's awesome.

OT: This is one of the best fan works ever created. Puts the mods for Skyrim and Oblivion to shame. It's on a different plane of existence. This is a sign you love a series way too much.

Myst III, the last great puzzle game I played. Missed Myst IV, as my long since dead PC couldn't run it and Myst V turned me off from the franchise.

But Myst III, oh man. One of the greatest loves... Made me buy sooooooo many Brad Douriff movies.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

lacktheknack:

How do you get your Avatar to do that? That's awesome.

OT: This is one of the best fan works ever created. Puts the mods for Skyrim and Oblivion to shame. It's on a different plane of existence. This is a sign you love a series way too much.

Web-techie sorcery. :D

Also, YOU CAN NEVER LOVE MYST TOO MUCH. EVER.

Mechalynx:

But Myst III, oh man. One of the greatest loves... Made me buy sooooooo many Brad Douriff movies.

Oh my god, I KNOW, I did the same thing! I think a whole separate thread could be devoted to stuff players sought out due to the actors in the games.

But, to get back on topic, as someone with a passing familiarity with the book collecting world, I'm amazed that this guy had the love & patience to track down the model for the Myst book & turn it into this beautiful project. Part of the reason I loved Myst was that it appealed to my whole bibliophile streak--not just as a reader, but as someone who loves the aesthetics of books. To see a Myst book made real made my heart skip a beat.

DVS BSTrD:

Andy Chalk:
Last picture.

Oh thanks.

Wait, why would the Myst book have red or blue pages? Technically, that's for the books in which Atrus evil sons are trapped in.

dessertmonkeyjk:

DVS BSTrD:

Andy Chalk:
Last picture.

Oh thanks.

Wait, why would the Myst book have red or blue pages? Technically, that's for the books in which Atrus evil sons are trapped in.

And they're trapped in Myst, so it only makes sense.
to me

DVS BSTrD:

dessertmonkeyjk:

DVS BSTrD:

Oh thanks.

to me

They're in Haven and Spire... not Myst.

Oh well, you tried. :P

lacktheknack:

DVS BSTrD:

dessertmonkeyjk:

to me

Were those the names of their books?
Sorry it's been at least a decade, I thought the whole game took place in the book.

DVS BSTrD:

lacktheknack:

DVS BSTrD:
to me

Sorry it's been at least a decade, I thought the whole game took place in the book.

In the first game, you fall into the Myst book, and are stuck on Myst. The brothers are trapped inside two OTHER books, Haven and Spire. (You have to play Myst IV to find out the names.)

And the red/blue pages go in the brothers' books, so there wouldn't be any in the Myst book.

lacktheknack:

DVS BSTrD:

lacktheknack:

In the first game, you fall into the Myst book, and are stuck on Myst. The brothers are trapped inside two OTHER books, Haven and Spire. (You have to play Myst IV to find out the names.)

And the red/blue pages go in the brothers' books, so there wouldn't be any in the Myst book.

I never continued the series after the first game. It was years before I went back and finished the game.

DVS BSTrD:

lacktheknack:

DVS BSTrD:

I never continued the series after the first game. It was years before I went back and finished the game.

Dude, Riven (Myst II) is considered to be one of the best adventure games ever. You should play them!

The best thing is that, post apocalypse a survivor is going to find that book and trip the fuck out. I imagine at least three religions will be based on this book alone in the new world.

lacktheknack:

DVS BSTrD:

lacktheknack:

Dude, Riven (Myst II) is considered to be one of the best adventure games ever. You should play them!

If I could trust either of my PCs I might.

DVS BSTrD:

lacktheknack:

DVS BSTrD:

If I recall correctly, the original Riven would warn you that 640x480 resolution might be too extreme for your computer. It was made in like 1996 or something. You can run it.

HHNNNGGGHHHH *fangasm*

Many hours I spent as a kid playing Myst and Riven. The atmosphere created in those games was amazing. The creepy parts gave me the shits.

This is the happiest thing I've read in ages, no joke. (Except I just said "ages," so there is a joke in there somewhere.)

This is a very Mysty year, what with this incredible fan project, Starry Expanse finally getting Cyan's approval, and me attending Mysterium for the first time. Squee! (Oh no, another half-formed Myst joke. What have I done.)

Anyway, the people who complain about Myst having terrible puzzles should really play Riven. As fun as Myst was, Riven was better in every possible way. The puzzles actually make sense within the context of the world (since you're spending the whole game reactivating machinery invented by a madman), and the atmosphere is flat-out phenomenal.

DVS BSTrD:

If you get it on gog.com, you can use any PC with a modern Windows.

OT: Truly amazing work.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here