Disney Acquires Lucasfilm

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Foolproof:

1337mokro:
Actually with Marvel being the awesome/good movie factory that it had become soon before and after the Disney purchase I actually have complete faith in this.

What about Thor?

Still a "Good" movie.

I liked most of it. It had some weak points. But that is also why I said Awesome/Good.

Little Duck:

PhunkyPhazon:
That's nice.

Yep, I really have nothing more to say. The worst that can happen is George Lucas losing control over the franchise, which...isn't exactly heartbreaking. That and everyone freaked over Disney acquiring Marvel, and not a single one of their fears came true (save Spectacular Spider-Man being replaced by a drastically inferior show). It's not worth worrying about.

Spider-Man films aren't owned nor made by marvel nor Disney. They're owned by Sony and Spider-Man is literally owned by marvel by name alone.

Yes, but I'm not talking about the films. Sony lost the TV rights, which is why Spectacular got cancelled and Marvel went and made that...other show. Even if Disney isn't directly responsible for that, this all came to fruition because of that deal.

Atmos Duality:

The Tall Nerd:

Matt S Hoimyr:
i honestly wouldn't count on it. the star wars franchise have been so raped (there really aren't any other word in the English language the "raped" that defines the franchise now) that it will be hard to recover. sure kids are going to buy it. i mean kids are stupid. they don't see quality. the series will continue til we finally face doomsday but all the quality and grace of star wars died around 7 years ago.

destroyed
mangled
mutilated
manipulated
desecrated
devastated
annihilated
obliterated

even more

there are a plethora of words

use them, you just wanted to sexualize it

Oh I don't know.
Metaphorically, "rape" is overused and provocative, but I find it strangely apropos.

The prequels do seem to be the bastard offspring of George Lucas' incompetence and the original trilogy.

since the English language is quite, vast, the sexual connotation asociated with the word isn't going to go away
he didn't violate a movie
he just made 2 shite movies and 1 ok movie and a pretty good cgi one later
it isn't that serious

i an coming at this from a rather nutrual view point, i never really was a megafan of the movies, i just like jedi. and yes JUST jedi boba fett can go somwhere

Heard about this last night. Literally checked the date to make sure October 30th isn't some kind of prank day, like April Fools. This is huge news.

The thing I hope is that Disney uses this power they've just gotten their hands on to make Star Wars far better than it has been under George Lucas.

I respect George Lucas as a technical visionary with some really great ideas. However, by his own admission, he prefers editing to directing, which makes his own creations suffer, in my opinion, because he's got to film them before he can edit them.

He seemingly prefers the business side of film to the creative side, as well, but that may simply be because in Star Wars he found a way to cash in and make his dream life a reality.

At any rate, I wish George all the best. His creation can go on inspiring millions of people this way, and that can only be a good thing.

Matt S Hoimyr:

The Tall Nerd:

Matt S Hoimyr:
i honestly wouldn't count on it. the star wars franchise have been so raped (there really aren't any other word in the English language the "raped" that defines the franchise now) that it will be hard to recover. sure kids are going to buy it. i mean kids are stupid. they don't see quality. the series will continue til we finally face doomsday but all the quality and grace of star wars died around 7 years ago.

destroyed
mangled
mutilated
manipulated
desecrated
devastated
annihilated
obliterated

even more

there are a plethora of words

use them, you just wanted to sexualize it

actually. i used that word because it is a risky word. it is something people catch up on. i used it for dramatic effect. also. how come neither of us just said the word "ruined" ?

i didn't use it because i thought you wanted to be dramatic,
he didn't ruin a country, he didn't destroy lives, he made 2 bad movies an ok movie and a pretty good cgi movie

i know fandoms can get riled up, hell i am still pissed off about new dante, but pick language that fits the bill

The Tall Nerd:

since the English language is quite, vast, the sexual connotation asociated with the word isn't going to go away
he didn't violate a movie

My metaphor conveyed that sexual element and...
...actually, forget about it.

My dry humor is wasted here.
"If you have to explain the joke, there is no joke at all."

he just made 2 shite movies and 1 ok movie and a pretty good cgi one later
it isn't that serious

As far as I'm concerned, he made three shitty, boring movies.
Didn't see the Clone Wars. Didn't want to.

i an coming at this from a rather nutrual view point, i never really was a megafan of the movies, i just like jedi. and yes JUST jedi boba fett can go somwhere

I freely admit my bias.

The Great JT:
Maybe Disney will tell LucasArts to get back together with Tim Schafer...and while I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.

I can help you with that last part!

OT: Yeah...not sure if want. I think the only good Live Action Disney Film I've seen up until now was John Carter really. Tron: Legacy was okay, and let's not talk about what they did to the Prince of Persia. And no, I'm not a Pirates of the Caribbean fan in the least.

Disney have some potential, but of course they squander it by Disneyficating a lot of the stuff they make. We can only hope (hurr durr -_-) Star Wars doesn't share this same fate.

CAPATCHA: Final Answer? 42.

Anyone else thinking that Joss Whedon directing EP7 would be interesting considering the success of Avengers, another Disney project?

Not saying he is going to, just saying that he could be in the running...

I was talking to a high school teacher of mine who said that when he was a freshman in college, A New Hope was release into cinemas. When his students become freshmen in college, they have an Episode 7 made by fucking Disney.

Can you imagine it, really? A Star Wars film that opens with Disney's castle on the river bullshit? When they broadcast the films on Disney channel, that fucking logo will be in the god damned corner the whole time. Leia is a Disney princess now--not the gun toting female lead from the original poster art. She's been watered down to liquid bullshit like everyone else.

amaranth_dru:
Anyone else thinking that Joss Whedon directing EP7 would be interesting considering the success of Avengers, another Disney project?

He is kind of busy with Avengers 2 isn't he?

Anyway. Now I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't hate him either. So nothing against him. But it would be nice if EP7 was "different" from the Avengers.

This seems fine. Disney owned Miramax which distrubuted Pulp Fiction so I'm not worried about Mickey Mouse the Jedi.

amaranth_dru:

I don't think so. It'd be interesting but I don't think Whedon could do a good Star Wars and do it justice to the franchise. I don't know who could make a good Star Wars movie at this point. Hopefully its not about the Skywalkers at all because the extended universe covers all of that. I'd like to see a new saga entirely.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Berithil:
Episode 7?

Well.... That's... Um....

Not sure if this is really good, or really bad. On one hand, Disney might actually make Star Wars good again. On the other, do we really need ANOTHER Star Wars movie?

I'm so conflicted. I need to ponder this.

Captcha: Who, What, Where? My confusion matches yours, captcha.

xedobubble:

Unrelated: Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts. Please. Oh god please.

Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts? Oh, the mind-blowing potential...

O.o

Holy Shit.

No, think about it! Star Wars and Indiana Jones (they are both owned by Lucas Film, right?) in Kingdom Hearts. The Secret Boss in Kingdom Hearts 3: A Team-up Battle with Riku and Sora against Indy's Kid and Jar Jar Binks.

Oh, man I can see the awesomeness already.

Keyblade wielders are already essentially Jedi,

the hilarity that would ensue from such a crossover is too awesome to quantify.

The problem with all of this is Disney's claim to release a new star wars every 3 years like clockwork. Please point me to a good series that went more that has gone more than 6 movies with that sort of brutal production schedule and remained any good?

I don't understand why Star Wars fans are bitching about this. This is great news. All that Lucas managed to do since the 80's was to mess up the series and re-re-re-release the good part. The only really good thing was the game studio which will now get a big boost in funding and more franchises to play around with.

And Disney has some really good parts. The 3d animation division (not Pixar) has done some amazing movies, while their films have grown quite ballsy (consider how Prince of Persia somehow managed not to suck). And let's face it guys... ewoks? I've seen Disney movies that were less "Disney" than the 6th movie, and 100 times less than the 3 new ones.

I have a ton of faith in Disney to deliver something good. A 7'th movie is so easy to make, I'm quite amazed Lucas didn't do it himself. Hire the old boys, stick with the 80's feel, come up with some Darth Lord that tries to rekindle the Empire. Heck, why not Luke himself? Rebellion wins, grows corrupt, small wars break out, Luke being the only Jedi left standing tries to renew the Jedi Council, install order in the Galaxy. All hell breaks loose, he's accused of going to the Dark Side, an Alliance is made against him, Han is sent to reason with him (in fact a Trojan Horse), Han learns the truth at the end, joins Luke for the second movie. And guess what... we can finally fantasize about Tie Figthers being the good guys. They look Solar Powered so they can't be bad...

And yes, I do realize that there absolutely zero chance that the 7'th movie will actually have this story :( More like "guy from Twilight" learns to be a Jedi from the ghost of 3d animated Yoda then fights an ewok, in a pod racer. End credits.

about mi profile picture: i pressed the red button okay. i am kind of ashamed of it myself. the justin bieber pic will go away in about 24 hours.

The Tall Nerd:

he didn't ruin a country, he didn't destroy lives, he made 2 bad movies an ok movie and a pretty good cgi movie

okay i'll give you that. George Lucas ain't a bad guy (he gave us Indiana Jones, monkey island and star wars. all hail lord Lucas) but the star wars franchise is almost used up. they are just beating it out. it's not exiting anymore you always know what to expect. but i honestly think that if they let the skywalker family alone they could probably become more awesome again. i mean just think about knights of the old republic. it was fun. the damn clone wars games ... *makes a gagging noise* i actally wanna be a little hypocritical here and say that diseny might be able to save it. if they reboot it. take it in a new direction. make it a surprise. give us a new taste.

The Tall Nerd:
i know fandoms can get riled up, hell i am still pissed off about new dante, but pick language that fits the bill

yeah. honestly. i don't really care for either star wars or Disney. i like the old star wars movies and i still play the old playstation 2 game "star wars battlefront 2". and also. i was always more of a Warner Brothers fanboy. and, yeah, dante. what erhhhh. what happend there actually?

also. okay.

'''and the flame wars continued for many years'''

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! everybody is talking about star wars. but what about Indiana Jones? any news on him ?

On the one hand, I neither associate "Disney" with "quality" nor appreciate them acquiring big studios one after the next. On the other hand, George Lucas is a fucking hack of the highest order and really, I don't think it's possible to rape the franchise worse than he did.

I never expected George Lucas to sell his beloved franchise, but now that he has, there is opportunity for some great films :)

Matt S Hoimyr:
about mi profile picture: i pressed the red button okay. i am kind of ashamed of it myself. the justin bieber pic will go away in about 24 hours.

The Tall Nerd:

okay i'll give you that. George Lucas ain't a bad guy (he gave us Indiana Jones, monkey island and star wars. all hail lord Lucas) but the star wars franchise is almost used up. they are just beating it out. it's not exiting anymore you always know what to expect. but i honestly think that if they let the skywalker family alone they could probably become more awesome again. i mean just think about knights of the old republic. it was fun. the damn clone wars games ... *makes a gagging noise* i actally wanna be a little hypocritical here and say that diseny might be able to save it. if they reboot it. take it in a new direction. make it a surprise. give us a new taste.

The Tall Nerd:

yeah. honestly. i don't really care for either star wars or Disney. i like the old star wars movies and i still play the old playstation 2 game "star wars battlefront 2". and also. i was always more of a Warner Brothers fanboy. and, yeah, dante. what erhhhh. what happend there actually?

also. okay.

well starwars actually has been continued past the movies and between through books you see, so they have meterials if they wish to go there.

and i care for Disney, i don't care for star wars too much, rather i just like Jedi. Disney has been pretty decent in the last few decades a slew of awesome cartoons, cartoon movies, pixar movies, then the marvel stuff, as well as a pretty decent lilo and stich anime(* colonel from mgs voice* i am not kidding) and kingdom hearts. though i know if Disney's dickish history, and the fact that jewish people haven't gotten their own movie or princess yet, thats i find that kind of funny considering what Walt was into anyway.

and as for Dante, stupidity,condescension and a half assed job. thats what happened to Dante, i could go in on the subject, but i don't quite feel like it . capcom has been shooting themselves for the longest, and much like g4tv, i am content with just watching them bleed.

Andy Shandy:
Wait, they get LucasArts as well? Does this give more hope to the likes of Battlefront 3 or am I just an idiot?

if they do it means we get more x wing games

I'm hopeful for this. The original plan was to have episodes 1-9 as a trilogy of trilogies. Plus Lucas himself won't be able to tamper with stuff that is great and can only be ruined by further effort.

Disney's bought Pixar and Marvel as well and they're films haven't exactly gone downhill since they were bought.

Still quicky message to disney: PLEASE! Don't fuck this up!

well after seeing what Disney's been doing to Marvel and other products they gotten their hands on...

FINALLY ABOUT F%$#ING TIME!! :D
this is great now we can hopefully get a proper Battlefront 3 and have Indiana Jones movie properly revived and fixed :)
and this is Disney so I know Episode VII will be awesome

Am i the only one who doesn't want to see Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts?

The franchise has been freed from the evil Emperor's clutches? Not only will there be more movies but they might actually be good too?

George... it's been fun. Don't come back.

Star Wars Episode 7?

And since this is Disney, the corporation that doesn't understand the meaning of the word "Cancelled" this might also mean KOTOR 3, Battlefront 3, and Force Unleashed 3 might actually get brought back from the dead.

And I hear they're planning a new Indiana Jones Trilogy.

Oh, and since Disney also co-creates the Kingdom Hearts games...

Paul Scardera:
Am i the only one who doesn't want to see Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts?

Have you actually taken a good look at the Kingdom Hearts games? They might as well be "Star Wars with keys."

The PSP game actually had Mark Hamill voicing a Wise Keyblade Master. And Terra might as well be described as "Anakin as designed by an anime team". In KH2, Xemnas makes lightsabers come out of his palms.

So let's just throw the actual characters in there for the lulz. C'mon Disney, make this.

I'm anxiously awaiting new Star Wars movies. The series as a whole is amazing, and it's been the center of my entertainment universe for as long as I can remember.

Hell, thanks to Star Wars...

I love Star Wars. I love everything about it. I love Revan, I love Obi Wan, I love Mace Windu, I love Anakin, I love Starkiller, Kreia, Surik, Sion, Bane, Angral. I love Battlefront, SWTOR, Jedi Academy and Power Battles. I love Phantom Menace, I love Revenge of the Sith, I love Clone Wars. I love the music, I love the books, I love Star Wars.

I'll miss George Lucas, but I'm looking forward to getting some new movies after the masterpiece that Revenge of the Sith turned out to be.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go put on a black glove and anxiously wait for Episode VII.

Thats great news. New director, new writer...this movie could work out well. Add original ideas and you have a winner.

Lots of people moaning how Disney will ruin Star Wars. How about we wait and see? Disney have done both shitty and epic movies. It's a 50-50 chance of either one. So all we can do is wait.

This is the best thing that could possibly have happened to star wars.

Foolproof:

Scrumpmonkey:
Starwars 7. 2015. Not George Lucas.

Im ok with this. Seriously. The further Disney can keep Lucas from his franchises the better.

Yes, who needs him and subtlety? CLearly you guys nweed every damn thing spelt out in front of you or you won't enjoy those movies.

Subtlety? You think George Lucas has Subtlety? So when he went back and reedited somebody else's work and took out all of the moments of silent tension in the original trilogy and dubbed over them you think it was for subtlety sake?

George Lucas is about as subtle as an aircraft carrier firing dump trucks filled with rhinoceri through a plate glass window factory.

bl4ckh4wk64:
Well, as long as they don't Disney-ify Star Wars, then we'll be totally fi...

fuck

Micky in Star Wars isn't really something that would phase me, after playing Kingdom Hearts.

I mean this is a game where you play alongside a Ninja Micky Mouse, wielding a giant key, as he fights horrors from beyond the veil of space and time, born from the darkness in people's hearts, at the event horizon of a world that never was, across from Christopher Lee who's playing the whole thing straight, as he fights two disembodied versions of himself.

I'm pretty sure that would melt the mind of Walt Disney. Star Wars may even show up in Kingdom Hearts 3 if it ever bloody happens. And given that game is some insane, sleep deprived, drugged up Japanese designers fever dream, it could work.

OT: It could be okay, for all of Disneys corporate shit, they do know what they're doing when it comes to good family entertainment, as the new Muppets movie showed in spectabulous fashion. I mean Lucas isn't going to be near it, so who knows, it might work at well after all. I don't know when it would be set though, but I don't really know enough about the Star Wars extended universe to say.

elvor0:
snip

It'll most likely be how Lucas originally planned it, continuing on after the destruction of the Death Star II. However, because they'll try and make it family friendly, they'll most likely take out some of the great things, like the entire story of the Lusankya.

In my opinion, this could at worst make no difference. At best, it could improve things.

xedobubble:

Unrelated: Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts. Please. Oh god please.

Agreed, I'm definitely looking forward to the next Kingdom Hearts game more than ever now.

Star Wars + Kingdom Hearts= Pure Undiluted Awesome.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here