Disney Acquires Lucasfilm

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

I do hope they can actually keep George Lucas in a signifigant role, it feels like he brought something to the prequels that made me enjoy them more than the originals.

I wonder if we're about to get to a point where there are more Star Wars films rejected from the canon (by fans) than included in it...

Idk, I kinda like that Disney got LucasArts. I mean, take Marvel for example, ever since Disney bought them we got awesome shit like the IronMan movies or the Avengers. miteBcool.

So, can we get over this childish, hyperbolic villainization of George Lucas now?

I'd like to see his relationship with fans repaired once all the dust settles.

We might actually get a decent movie if Lucas is not the one directing. Its a good thing and a bad thing at the same time, disney let marvel get on with stuff pretty much so hopefully they do the same with star wars and it actually becomes good again.

Well, we can thank Disney for Pirates of the Carribean, and the Avengers, so....

It's not like Old George has been that great with the franchise lately.

Maybe this will actually be for the best.

Was my initial reaction.

Now I wait and see, but I am not looking forward to seeing Star Wars pander (even?) more to children.

Veldie:
It was as if a billion fans screamed out and where then silenced.

OT: im wondering how they plan to do a movie will the old cast return?

doubtful, they are all really getting on in years. Not to say that old people can't make good movies (see RED), but still.

color me cautiously optimistic. this could be very very good or very very bad

either way, i still have the original vhs tapes of the original triology, after the first digital re-mastering, but before any major tampering. ima make dvds of em too, and make copies of those.

Never gonna let the original movies fade away. NEVER

Just so long as they don't touch any of the original films and make changes to previous lore (Except for destroying Jar Jar Binks). I hope they'll handle this franchise intelligently and not bollox it up. They mustn't fail, the consequences are to severe to do so!

You don't want to know what happened the last time someone failed. (Force chocked).

sammysoso:
So, can we get over this childish, hyperbolic villainization of George Lucas now?

I'd like to see his relationship with fans repaired once all the dust settles.

all he has to do is un-do his many ret-cons, then BAM! public relations solved.

seriously, who the hell thought it was a good idea to retcon the mandalorians into pacifists!?!?!?!? i mean really!

What Disney is doing with Marvel actually makes me hopeful here. Not just the Avengers, but the long running story line mentality they showed building up to it and going forward.

Andy Shandy:
Wait, they get LucasArts as well? Does this give more hope to the likes of Battlefront 3 or am I just an idiot?

Battlefront 3 works into that bloodless combat thing that Disney has been doing in its games. I mean they bring it back Give it press and it turns out to be good? thats a FPS competitor with CoD... Also the Resources to make actual X-wing/TIE fighter remakes? That is being a hopeful optimistic Idiot. which i am...

I am sick to death of this obsession with star wars. I washed my hands of the franchise years ago.

Well that was unexpected.

I imagine they can't make a film that would be any worst than EP 1 and 2 (only saw 10 mins of Ep.3 no idea how it is). But then a new film could be just as bad as them.

On the gaming side of this if could mean that we may finally see Lucasarts games appear on GOG.com and maybe a return of the Battlefront series.

Now Disney just needs to buy Square Enix.

Nasrin:
I wonder if we're about to get to a point where there are more Star Wars films rejected from the canon (by fans) than included in it...

Already there if you count the people who reject Return of the Jedi because of ewoks.

So Lucas raped his own franchise... now there'll be princesses raping it too.

I sense a disturbance in the force....

This could be fantastic if they make the new movie in the time of the Old Republic, that's one of my favorite settings. HOWEVER I see very bad things happening to 1313, and all subsequent games.

Imperial March is now the best Disney villain song.

Xan Krieger:
A 4th star wars movie? Wow, thought that series was done after the 3rd movie. Also please make a Knights of the Old Republic 3.

LucasArts didn't make KOTOR, Bioware did. Actually, they made the first one, Oblivion made the second. Play The Old Republic when it's f2p, it's close enough to get you your fix.

BreakfastMan:
There is a difference, methinks, between getting a new actor to play a younger version of a character and new one to play an older version...

Methinks they do what they did with the Marvel movies, and make a happy medium. You takes bits and pieces of the canon already there, and make movies that fit the narrative. So you have it set 30-40 years later, give the original stars cameos, but focus the story on either new characters or their kids. Put in narratives about family legacies, introduce Darth Krayt and the Yuuzhan Vong, and you could legitimately fire up the popularity of the IP again.

So yeah, Princess Leia is officially a Disney princess now !!! Who would have seen that one coming...

Foolproof:
I do hope they can actually keep George Lucas in a significant role, it feels like he brought something to the prequels that made me enjoy them more than the originals.

unfortunately for you, a large number of people disagree, and as such his involvement might piss off more people, and therefore lose sales. So it's likely he will get relegated to a smaller role to appease the "apparent" masses displeased with what he did after the original trilogy. (i say "apparent" because as far as i know, the number of angry complainers is smaller than i thought. the internet is not great for taking census)

I'm... not sure what I think about this. It could be good or bad. All depends on what Disney chooses to do with the franchise. :o

Here's to hoping everything turns out ok. :3

Jeez, what's next? Disney acquires Nintendo? Then be broken up under anti-monopoly laws for having a monopoly over childhood?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean it seems like Disney has had a good relationship with Star Wars in the past so why not. Hey you never know. Could be Avengers awesome or John Carter flop. Disney has interesting record to say the least.

I think I have the reaction most people are having: Uh, okay then.

They can't really make things worse than things already have got in the eyes of fans.

Quazimofo:

Foolproof:
I do hope they can actually keep George Lucas in a significant role, it feels like he brought something to the prequels that made me enjoy them more than the originals.

unfortunately for you, a large number of people disagree, and as such his involvement might piss off more people, and therefore lose sales. So it's likely he will get relegated to a smaller role to appease the "apparent" masses displeased with what he did after the original trilogy. (i say "apparent" because as far as i know, the number of angry complainers is smaller than i thought. the internet is not great for taking census)

And an equally large number agree.

The fanbase for the prequels is as large as the fanbase for the originals, it just happens to be less made up of over-opinionated nerds who refuse to shut the fuck up.

Anyway, Disney has proven time and again they don't really give a crap what the whiny fanbases say, they do what makes them money. Remember, they made Cars 2.

This is the greatest thing that could possibly happen to the franchise. Fans have been saying Lucas is fucking up this property. Now it an get the Marvel treatment.

Raidenko:
So yeah, Princess Leia is officially a Disney princess now !!! Who would have seen that one comming...

Ignores her people, defers all power to a man, falls in love with the first male she see's then marries him without going on a single date - wasn't she already?

What?

Seriously, is this a joke?

This has GOT to be a joke. Somebody, please clarify?

Foolproof:

Quazimofo:

Foolproof:

And an equally large number agree.

The fanbase for the prequels is as large as the fanbase for the originals, it just happens to be less made up of over-opinionated nerds who refuse to shut the fuck up.

Anyway, Disney has proven time and again they don't really give a crap what the whiny fanbases say, they do what makes them money. Remember, they made Cars 2.

yeaaaah, i never saw cars 2. don't really want to either.

anyway, this whole situation ought to be interesting, so let's see where it goes

Ldude893:

What?

Seriously, is this a joke?

This has GOT to be a joke. Somebody, please clarify?

It's for real. If all the credible and not so credible news sites posting about it wasn't enough, here's this. That's the official Star Wars Facebook page confirming it.

Edit: Heck, the video is Lucas himself confirming it.

Definitely was blind sided by this one.

My first reaction was one of horror. Right now, I'm at a point of cautious, cautious optimism. The fact that Lucas wont be in charge of this one is the best hope for the Star Wars universe.

Also, if I let myself go into full blown hate mode, I may go crazy.

I...what?! And Disney claims yet another company...

(I still like to see a Star Wars theme park, though...)

I'm not sure how I feel about this, it's not as if they can do any worse than Jar Jar Binks, but I know this will still lead to new generations of terrible memes. Well if they do make more films, I hope they go Old Republic, because that's been a good period for the game settings in general.

Foolproof:

Raidenko:
So yeah, Princess Leia is officially a Disney princess now !!! Who would have seen that one comming...

Ignores her people, defers all power to a man, falls in love with the first male she see's then marries him without going on a single date - wasn't she already?

second. second male. luke sees her first.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here