Disney Acquires Lucasfilm

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of nerds were suddenly silenced and then cried out in joy. I think something wonderful has happened.

Star Wars is now out of Georges hands, so the good parts might be preserved with out needless edits and rewrites, and we might actually get some Good content.
Seriously if their rebooting everything why not reboot the prequel trilogy?
Then we can declare the existing mess non-canon and pretend midi-chlorians never existed.

I do not look foreward to looking back at the George Lucas era as a period of 'refined dignity' once Disney is finished with it.

Happy to be proven wrong!

I'm all for it if it's movie versions of the X-Wing novels. I'd particularly like to see Wedge piloting a starfighter with an Ewok toy tied to him as 'Ketch'. And to actually see some of these Bothan cat-xenos, because I can't decide in my head if they look like FFXI's Mithra, or Wing Commander's Kilrathi.

Kekkonen1:
Is it some kind of obscure american joke-holiday in october that I dont know of?

Seriously though, Disney haven't produced anything good since the lion king and Lucas since Episode 6 so this is like the partnership made in crap-hell.

They haven't, but properties they own have.

For example Miramax was owned by disney when it made Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill films.

Disney has owned Pixar since 2006.

They own 80% of ESPN.

They also own Marvel Studios that made the Avengers series.

Disney is like Zenimax, they don't make stuff, they own companies who make stuff.

The important thing is not so much that Disney is running LucasFilm... the important thing is that George Lucas ISN'T!!

scorptatious:
I guess I should be surprised at this development, but I'm not.

Over at Disneyland there is a section of Tommorowland dedicated to Star Wars. A (awesome) ride, gift shop, and a stage show in which people dressed up as jedi masters and Darth Vader teach little kids how to be jedi.

I'd figure it was only a matter of time before Disney finally acquired Star Wars as it's own.

And frankly I'm okay with this. From what I've seen and heard, George Lucas has kinda screwed up the franchise with his weird edits to the original films, among other things. (I'm okay with the prequels for the most part) So perhaps by giving the series to someone else, someone could take Star Wars into a new, possibly better direction. At least that's how I see things anyway.

They could not do any worse. If the movie's they release are of a lower quality then the prequels then they will be in So Bad Its Good territory and if they are better...well then there better. Lucas hit the bottom of the bell curve of bad with the prequels as they were both not good and not bad enough to be funny how bad they are.

crazyrabbits:

Anachronism:
Now, more seriously. Why? Why Episode 7? What is the point? As much as people tend to hate the prequels, the saga as it currently stands tells one consistent story: the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

SW was never about "the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker". The original trilogy was Luke's story through and through - it was never Anakin's. That was something Lucas wanted to push when he made the Prequel Trilogy, and he's spent enough time trying to convince people of this latter goal that most people still don't believe him.

He can shout that until he's blue in the face. There's authorial intent and then there's what comes out on the paper.

If he wrote the prequels and they change the meaning of Episodes IV-VI, that's his own fault.

I agree with crazyrabbits, I have no idea what the point of an Episode VII would be. It is extremely likely be tonally inconsistent with the first six movies.

I have no problem with that, really.

I'd rather, instead of Episode VII, making it a "Next Generation" type series. New Republic, New Jedi Order? Forget all that. Grab the Pixar guys, set it hundreds of years in the future as a piece set in motion by the six canon episodes, with nods to the originals. THAT would be better than an Episode VII, that is trying to squeeze more story out of the pre-existing characters and giving excuses to have to make references and ties to the original movies. An open sandbox is where Pixar SHINES.

And, Disney, word of advice. Please oh please oh PLEASE no "dream fanboy" casting (director or otherwise). Take your cues from Pixar. No Whedon, no Smith, no Robot Chicken guys, no ascended fanboys. It's bad enough Episodes I-III were pretty much weighted down by the fact that nobody would say boo to Lucas when he produced crap. Don't make yourselves slaves to people who feel they need to cater to fanboys.

(Yes, I'm aware Whedon had a hand in writing the Toy Story script. Given the way Pixar produces scripts, I wouldn't say he was overwhelmingly responsible for the final product.)

Find directors who respect the material but show enough objectivity to make a quality product without sacrificing the spirit of the originals (and, ahem, not turn EVERYONE into Han Solo).

Andy Chalk:
Well. I did not see that coming.

Ain't THAT the truth. O__O

Uhm... I'm... cautiously optimistic? I don't have any set feelings for this, because seriously, how did THIS happen?

I don't know if anyone else has brought this up...

But could Kingdom Hearts 3 have Marvel and Star Wars stuff in it? Like is that a thing that could actually happen? Or am I just completely ignorant here...

That sounds fun...

I haven't played any Kingdom Hearts past the first one and a bit of the second... but that sounds like something that could get me real interested.

Did they do this just so that they could acquire the Ewoks?

Nurb:
Disney shits out horrible sequels... Oh god they're gonna ruin everything.

But maybe disney will put out the original unedited trilogy since the fat guy won't

Yes, damn that concept of artistic integrity, getting in the way of your pointless nostalgia and blind hatred of anything new and different.

I'm going to maintain an open mind and be supportive of getting new creative blood into the Star Wars franchise. People were screaming when Marvel Entertainment was bought by Disney. The result: The Avengers. (Nuff said)

crazyrabbits:

Anachronism:
Now, more seriously. Why? Why Episode 7? What is the point? As much as people tend to hate the prequels, the saga as it currently stands tells one consistent story: the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

SW was never about "the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker". The original trilogy was Luke's story through and through - it was never Anakin's. That was something Lucas wanted to push when he made the Prequel Trilogy, and he's spent enough time trying to convince people of this latter goal that most people still don't believe him.

Bullshit. It was still a story with major focus upon Anakin even if he wasn't the main character - he was moved to the principle antagonist, and was that through and through. It was a trilogy about him - the characters fall from grace and his rise to redemption. The latter was accomplished as a part of the story of his son.

Well, I think I'll echo that this might well be good, with a risk of being bad. On the plus side, Star Wars hasn't exactly been well managed recently, and turning it over to folks with more experience and reason might well save it from further problems. On the other hand, they might churn out tons of nostalgia-driven crap with no innovation or skill behind it, with the full publishing force of Disney behind it.

One way or another, we'll see what happens in 3 years. *Gulp*.

2015 is shaping up to be one HELL of a year at the box office. We already know Avengers 2, Justice League and now Star Wars Episode 7 (prediction: Horrors from Beyond the Outer Rim) will be coming to theaters. Take your bets on the next 'big' 2015 movie (I'm crossing my fingers and hoping its Castlevania).

Either way, I'm really excited to see what Disney has in store for Star Wars if anything at all. Didn't Marvel more or less get to keep doing their movies exactly as they wanted? I'm also really excited to see what kind of games Lucasarts comes out with after the acquisition is finalized. Star Wars 1313 is the only game I'm aware of in the pipes but maybe Disney will green light a Grim Fandango or, Monkey Island revival! Or better yet...Zombies Ate My Neighbors?

This is the best thing that's happened to Star Wars in a loooong time.

Foolproof:

crazyrabbits:

Anachronism:

Bullshit. It was still a story with major focus upon Anakin even if he wasn't the main character - he was moved to the principle antagonist, and was that through and through. It was a trilogy about him - the characters fall from grace and his rise to redemption. The latter was accomplished as a part of the story of his son.

The original trilogy has nothing to do with Darth Vader. It's about Luke redeeming his father, not about Vader being redeemed by Luke. The original trilogy is good in the sense that it actually gives the audience a view of what the enemy is thinking, and a deeper enemy at that, that however does not make that villian the principle character by any stretch of the imagination.

Just because George tries to rewrite history doesn't make it true.

I really hope creative Disney gets to Star Wars before business Disney does. I have a horrible feeling that they might decide Star Wars is more profitable as a love-to-hate franchise.

Treblaine:

Kekkonen1:
Is it some kind of obscure american joke-holiday in october that I dont know of?

Seriously though, Disney haven't produced anything good since the lion king and Lucas since Episode 6 so this is like the partnership made in crap-hell.

For example Miramax was owned by disney when it made Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill films.

They own 80% of ESPN.

Disney is like Zenimax, they don't make stuff, they own companies who make stuff.

The important thing is not so much that Disney is running LucasFilm... the important thing is that George Lucas ISN'T!!

Well Reservoir Dogs came out before the Lion King and Pulp fiction the same year. I hated the Kill Bill-movies, I can't stand Pixar-movies, I have no idea what ESPN actually does (isn't that predominately a sports-channel?) and I'm not really a big fan of Marvel, so the statement still stands =)

Nitpicking and joking aside, I do get your point and I guess one could be carefully optimistic about the whole thing. But for me, the second they announce an Episode 7 (where I didn't even think Episodes 1-3 was needed or wanted), that is the second when careful optimism should turn into full-blown scepticism in my opinion.

Redhawkmillenium:
People, people. Think for a second.

You get to see Star Wars movies in theaters with your kids.

Err, gamers have kids? Why bother with with relationships? All these awesome games to play...hardly have time for well...life.

Well i'm looking forward to new movie. For me star wars films are just popcorn fun, light entertainment so even if they fail it doesn't really matters.

And yes before you say anything: yes i think star trek is infinitely better as sci-fi.

Akalabeth:

Foolproof:

crazyrabbits:

The original trilogy has nothing to do with Darth Vader. It's about Luke redeeming his father, not about Vader being redeemed by Luke. The original trilogy is good in the sense that it actually gives the audience a view of what the enemy is thinking, and a deeper enemy at that, that however does not make that villian the principle character by any stretch of the imagination.

Just because George tries to rewrite history doesn't make it true.

And that s why, in star wars 4, 5 and 6, there wasn;'t a SINGLE SHOT of Darth Vader without Luke in it. Yep, DEFINITELY NOT. He WASN"T SHOWN AND FOCUSED ON AT ALL!

Do you you want me to try and be more obvious about it? Are the caps helping you figure out your problem yet?

All right Disney, if you got Lucasarts here's what you need to do. You know all the games that Lucasarts has in their closet, maybe next to the skeletons of anyone who disagreed with Lucas during the filming of episodes I-III? After you get rid of the skeletons, Bring all those games back into the light! Republic Commando, Battlefront 3, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, etc. Then just watch as millions of gamers cry out in delight. And soon, you will have more power then you ever imagined.

Siege_TF:
I'm all for it if it's movie versions of the X-Wing novels. I'd particularly like to see Wedge piloting a starfighter with an Ewok toy tied to him as 'Ketch'. And to actually see some of these Bothan cat-xenos, because I can't decide in my head if they look like FFXI's Mithra, or Wing Commander's Kilrathi.

There's actually an official appearance for the Bothans, both in the comics and in the Battlefront games. They look more like anthropomorphic dogs than cats, although some of the depictions of them with long hair are kind of Kilrathi-esque.

Makes Gavin seem /really/ open minded, doesn't it?

Edit: actually, that does kind of look like a male lion with a shaved head. I never got a good look at the jaw before; the game is a bit hectic for it.

Disney have proven to be pretty good at big screen adventure flicks recently. And the prequel trilogy was fucking dire.

I can't really see them pulling out something that horrible, the only way they've got to go is up.

Sole Media: Case Closed.

Sriously, we all need to have a talk about this things ability to say something relevant. It's happening way too much now and I want to burn it... to be safe.

Agayek:
Seeing the creation of Episode 7: Bad. Very very bad. There's a plethora of reasons, most of which don't need to be said. All I can contribute on that is: Just let the bloody thing die already.

Screw you too, buddy. xD

Btw. Link to official Press Release: http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

A few Blog articles: http://www.starwars.com/future-of-star-wars-movies/index.html

Lucas himself:

And I always thought these kinds of images would stay within the realm of fanart...

Hey wait, doesn't this mean that Disney also owns the rights to Indiana Jones and the canceled Monkey Island film?

Treblaine:

Kekkonen1:

They own 80% of ESPN.

BINGO!

Also the Pirates of the Carribean franchise was outright produced by Disney wasn't it? Or was it just distributed by them?

Either way, I know they actually put their name on the franchise which they don't normally do through their child companies.

AWESOME!

No..... wait.....

OH FUCK WHY????

Wait..... but....

YES! IT'S GONNA BE GREAT!

Except..... hold on.... if they...

THIS IS GONNA SUCK.

On the other hand..... it..... but....

OH GOD I'M SO CONFUSED.

Seriously. On one hand you have Lucas who created one of the greatest series of all time, but then made another one and put a cartoon rat in it who steps in the doo-doo.

Then there's Disney who took a pirate movie and put a stupid fucking scene with a trampoline in it, but on the other hand, the made the fucking Avengers.

I.... I honestly have no idea how this is going to turn out.

Though it's inherently good for one reason: No more fucking re-releases.

On a side note, so much for Captcha I guess...

Berithil:

Not sure if this is really good, or really bad. On one hand, Disney might actually make Star Wars good again. On the other, do we really need ANOTHER Star Wars movie?

I'm not a starwars fan..but I'd say YES

its been enough time and the franchise needs to stop wallowing in its own past assming its not some prequl BS..this could be good...this could breathe new life into it and let peole have a GOOD starwars film

I have no chance at even comprehending that numer... Can I have a piece? just a tiny little 0.1%? Common Lucas! It's not like you can't afford to throw your favorite Norwegian chick a little spendin' money!

ysduiusdf:
spambot snip

Alright, viking hats on everyone. On the count to three.

A one and-a two and-a three...

I think we are being overly pessimistic. Yeah sure Disney is a huge corporation dedicated to merchandising and getting all they can out of a franchise. But so was Lucas. And we the fans created Lucas as such.

In Disney's defense, they do currently have some of the best people out there for making these types of movies. I mean can anyone see John Lassiter not insisting on a good Star Wars movie? How about Joss Wheedon? Love him or hate him Jerry Bruckheimer is still one of the absolute masters of fun popcorn movies, which is what Star Wars is. And lets not forget that entire creative team of writers over at Marvel comics. Disney has a lot of good concentrated resources for this sort of thing. Yeah they have given us a few clunkers like John Carter, but they've also gicen us stuff like the first Pirates of the Caribbean and the Avengers. So there is hope there.

And here is the one key reason why I think Disnety was the only real option Lucas had for retiring. Disney is all about the nostalgia. More than any other studio, they don't do reboots or resets of franchises. They try to at a minimum respect, or more often continue to profit from, the old films while they add new. Disney is the best option for us to see Staw Wars VII, VIII and IX instead of a Star Wars remake with the dude from Twilight playing Luke, and Oprah playing a new generations Obi Wan. (hey, she is an Oscar nominated actress). Disney will preserve the details of what we love now,a nd give us more. Just because that preserves the merchandise revenue. (Contrast that to the debacle that is the Star Trek franchise over at Paramount. The JJ Abrams reboot movie was a box office smash and brought in lots of direct money. But it all but obliterated the Star Trek licensed merchandise revenue stream in one fell blow. They were landfilling hundreds of thousands of JJ'Prises.)

So have hope. This may not be that bad. And just think of the really cool if incredibly overpriced new theme park rides we might get out of this?

"It couldn't possibly get any worse, right?"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or