Internet Outs Fake Hurricane Tweeter

Pages PREV 1 2

What a jerk! I know he's a politician, but of all the times to do something like that, now was not the time! I guess it's never REALLY the time to though..

Basically what I'm getting is this dude is a colossal fucking moron and he should probably be chucked into the receding tide for the good of all humanity.

Also, how the fuck is this Obama's fault? If he anyone can explain that adequately I might eat my shoes.

Genocidicles:
I don't get it. What's the big deal? Are people stupid enough to get all their news from twitter nowadays or something?

I don't know if you understand the gravity of a hurricane. Over 4 million people were/are without power, thus without phone access. I literally have not been able to contact anyone from my hometown for over 60 hours now. All news is word-of-mouth because it would just be blatantly unsafe for a news crew to keep reporting.

How is Grandma Smith supposed to alert people she's trapped in her house with water up to the attic if the phones lines are unavailable? Facebook/Twitter/Text messaging. Entirely word-of-mouth; where people are stranded, where relatives are, what shelters remained open, who needs what supplies.

And in a word-of-mouth economy, misinformation is a grave problem.

I personally would testify if a case was brought against him for causing hysteria. It's the fundamental equivalent of shouting "Fire" in a crowded movie theater. This makes me physically ill, it is so disgusting.

EDIT: And I think a lot of people are under-estimating how bad the storm was because they aren't personally affected. Several towns in New Jersey have literally been wiped into the ocean. As in, nothing left. Gone.

f1r2a3n4k5:
snip

If the power is out as well as peoples phones, how are they getting onto Twitter to read what this idiot posted?

Genocidicles:

f1r2a3n4k5:
snip

If the power is out as well as peoples phones, how are they getting onto Twitter to read what this idiot posted?

During the hurricane? The residual power left on their phones from whenever they last charged it. Or generators.

Not to mention, people WITH power (like me/search-and-rescue teams) have been monitoring social media for news of where the damage is and where people could be trapped. Let me assure you. There were/are no reporters there to get the actual details.

Even now, I'm loading 15 gallons worth of gas cans into the trunk of my car because there is no guarantee I'll be able find enough to get back/power my generator.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here