Rumor: Captain Price Leaks Modern Warfare 4

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Captain Price Leaks Modern Warfare 4

The voice actor behind Call of Duty's Captain Price may need to be more careful who he chats with during airline flights.

Sometimes in the gaming world, it can be very hard to keep a secret. With so many people involved in the production of a single triple-A game, it can be very difficult to lock down all information about a title as it approaches release. Few publishers know this better than Activision, who on multiple occasions have had news about its upcoming Call of Duty games leaked to the world. Now the gun may have been jumped yet again, this time thanks to none other Modern Warfare voice actor Bill "Captain Price" Murray.

It all allegedly happened when Murray struck up a conversation with a Call of Duty fan who happened to recognize his voice on an airplane. While the pair chatted, Murray apparently stated the following, completely unprovoked: "on Monday I am off to meet Infinity Ward about the next game, Modern Warfare 4, I'm doing work on the sequel to Modern Warfare 3, it carries straight on and I only ever appear in the Modern Warfare games".

The problem was, this wasn't just an MW fan sitting next to Murray, it was the founder and editor of gaming website This is Xbox, Jason Andrews. Andrews snapped a picture of Murray as proof of their meeting, and presumably rushed off to write a hurried news post the first chance he could.

Before anyone gets too excited, please note that this story is still technically in the rumor stage. We'll direct your attention to the following tweet from Infinity Ward stating that the whole story is made up, while Activision itself has yet to comment. That's not to say the chance conversation between Andrew and Murray didn't happen, or that Murray isn't being considered about a Call of Duty game. Time will sort out the details, but in the meantime there's nothing left to do but rampantly speculate. Have at it, internet!

Source: This Is Xbox, via Eurogamer

Oh, I'm supposed to care. Right? I'm supposed to? Trying...

This just in: Bears shit in woods.

Wait... What? Modern Warfare ended, how could there be a fourth one? The storyline ended... Fuuuu.............................

I mean despite how batshit crazy the story was, the ending was still pretty awesome. Hope this just stays rumor. I rather see Infinity Ward go into Future setting or just another time period rather then just modern again.

I could have told them that!

They're making a Call of Duty 4.
The sky is blue.
Rain is wet,
and there's a land war in Asia.

Let me use my amazing jedi powers to make another prediction, It will come out next year, at the beginning of November.

I suspect that Murray said it so offhandedly because, well...we all know this. I mean, does this even count as a leak? did anyone expect something different? Can I leak that the next Super Bowl will contain commercials? The real act of intrepid journalism here is that Andrews had the presence of mind to realize that this is TECHNICALLY a leak. Honestly, I wouldn't have realized that.

DAMN IT. I put money on it being called Modern Warf4re. Of all the games to douche up the sequel name with a number in the middle of the name, how could CoD NOT do it?

Korten12:
Wait... What? Modern Warfare ended, how could there be a fourth one? The storyline ended... Fuuuu.............................

I mean despite how batshit crazy the story was, the ending was still pretty awesome. Hope this just stays rumor. I rather see Infinity Ward go into Future setting or just another time period rather then just modern again.

I was just thinking that, and I even thought it ended pretty well with evyerhting wrapped up in a neat little package.

I suppose vengeance against he Russians or some bullshit?

Also, this is a touch petty, but since the games are set in the near future and not the present surely it's technically post-modern warfare?

Oh it's not that Bill Murray. I got a little too excited there

I didn't see this coming.....not

Korten12:

It might be set more on Captain Price than anyone. Say his entire military life as a Prequel or something.

Either that or: Captain Price is a now a Zombie and is out after American/Russian/Korean brains.

SkarKrow:
I was just thinking that, and I even thought it ended pretty well with evyerhting wrapped up in a neat little package.

So what? CoD 4 ended very neatly, good Russians completely obliterating the bad Russians en masse, 'not Saddam' very dead, country retaken.

Soap barely alive, likely crippled, Price clearly dead as a door stop.

As if logic and plot ever get in the way of money.

Well he sure made a doodie.

You seem to be treading eggshells around the subject as if it wasn't already entirely obvious.

How the hell anyone can get excited for this crap anymore is unbelievable. Even if you like it, yearly releases are too regular.

You mean a franchise that sells millions from people who will buy a bland copy pasted first person shooter, is going to make another game of the same name?! Color me shocked!

Hopefully the news of a Black Ops 3 won't be announced soon, I don't think my heart could take any more surprises.

OT: Where the hell is Amnesia 2! :(

Yeah i'm so suprised they've already began work on another modern warfare cause it totally isn't madden at this point.

They are making Modern Warfare 4? Gosh, next we will hear the Nintendo is making a Mario game for the Wii U.

...And Disney will be making Star Wars 8 if 7 is a smash hit (...Which it will be)

Ympulse:
Oh, I'm supposed to care. Right? I'm supposed to? Trying...

This just in: Bears shit in woods.

And, with the first post, we have a winner.

Plenty of sarcastic comments about how this absolutely isn't shocking.

Off-topic: Escapist should really just add a "Like" capability so I can just click agreement instead of thinking of a way to stretch out the phrase "Ditto."

While the pair chatted, Murray apparently stated the following, completely unprovoked: "on Monday I am off to meet Infinity Ward about the next game, Modern Warfare 4, I'm doing work on the sequel to Modern Warfare 3, it carries straight on and I only ever appear in the Modern Warfare games".

Is it just me, or does this seem like he was just pulling Andrew's leg. I mean if I was in Murry's possision, I wouldn't be above jokingly 'leaking' a sequel that isn't actually being made.

"The problem was, this wasn't just an MW fan sitting next to Murray, it was the founder and editor of gaming website This is Xbox, Jason Andrews."

I laughed out loud. What extraordinarily bad luck. Of all the seats on all the planes, he sits right next to a gaming journalist who recognises him just by his voice?!?!

That makes it sound too good to be true now to be honest. Easy to make up, TOTALLY plausible (what, who thought they were going back to WWII?) and impractical to disprove. Though the photograph does seal a lot but a photos is nothing more than that, it doesn't GIVE any context, only fits in with a context that may or may not be true.

fix-the-spade:

SkarKrow:

So what? CoD 4 ended very neatly, good Russians completely obliterating the bad Russians en masse, 'not Saddam' very dead, country retaken.

Soap barely alive, likely crippled, Price clearly dead as a door stop.

As if logic and plot ever get in the way of money.

True enough I suppose but seriously MW3 has nowhere left to go, the big bad douche bag behind the last few games is now properly dead and eveyrhting. Oh well, profit before reason!

Could be a prequel maybe? I'd dig that I guess.

Whats that word thats the opposite of "surprise"?

If you happen to know it, im that.

Yeah, I think we can officially confirm Infinity Ward has gone creatively bankrupted.

Hero in a half shell:
I could have told them that!

They're making a Call of Duty 4.
The sky is blue.
Rain is wet,
and there's a land war in Asia.

Let me use my amazing jedi powers to make another prediction, It will come out next year, at the beginning of November.

Small clarification. They're making Modern Warfare 4, not Call of Duty 4. Call of Duty 4 was the actually good one. This is actually Call of Duty 10: Modern Warfare 4. Which just goes to show how completely original they are.

But yea, this is entirely unsurprising to me. Not sure how MW3 ended (nor do I care), but even if the entire planet died, they'd just make Modern Warfare 4 in space-America.

Oh boy, a chance to jump on the I hate CoD bandwagon.

It's getting very tiring at this point, more so than another CoD game.

Anyway, I wouldn't too surprised if IW are lying at this point because I can't imagine someone going through such lengths to troll us.

So let me guess.....Captain Price commits war crimes and is a total badass while doing so while the world goes to hell. Have I summed it up?

Sorry, I'm playing "Spec Ops: The Line" right now and It's going to be really hard to look at COD the same way ever again. Spec Ops might as well be called "Nice Job Breaking it, Hero: The game."

MY GOD! A FOURTH MODERN WARFARE? EARTHSHAKING!!!!

Not much of a spoiler. Along the lines of, the sun will rise tomorrow, followed by it setting.

Since they declared publicly that there would be a Modern Warfare ever other year with Black Ops in between... how is this a "leak"?

Fanghawk:
While the pair chatted, Murray apparently stated the following, completely unprovoked: "on Monday I am off to meet Infinity Ward about the next game, Modern Warfare 4, I'm doing work on the sequel to Modern Warfare 3, it carries straight on and I only ever appear in the Modern Warfare games".

This isn't true. Captain Price is a time-travelling future-soldier who fights in various conflicts throughout time to influence the outcome.

Also that quote is so horribly worded I find it difficult to believe.

Fanghawk:
"on Monday I am off to meet Infinity Ward about the next game, Modern Warfare 4, I'm doing work on the sequel to Modern Warfare 3, it carries straight on and I only ever appear in the Modern Warfare games".

I can not imagine this sentence ever being said in a normal conversation.

Oh wow...so people are going "AH! BREAKING NEWS" because the guy stated the OBVIOUS answer to our assumptions of a MW4 game?...*facepalm*...goddammit...just...goddammit...

For the love of Geth, please let us be the Russians or OPFOR because that's the only way I can think of making a COD set during modern times refreshing and interesting.

Also at the end of MW3: the war ended! We won (USA! USA! USA!)!

Fanghawk:
snip

Billy Murray, not Bill Murray.

Xanadu84:
I suspect that Murray said it so offhandedly because, well...we all know this. I mean, does this even count as a leak? did anyone expect something different? Can I leak that the next Super Bowl will contain commercials? The real act of intrepid journalism here is that Andrews had the presence of mind to realize that this is TECHNICALLY a leak. Honestly, I wouldn't have realized that.

Actually I was expecting them to leave the Modern Warfare trilogy and go back to the Call of Duty game being developed by Sledgehammer Games.

What a twist.
If you didn't actually see this coming, what are you doing on the internet? Small children should not be surfing the web without adult supervision in the first place.

I just want to say, I feel sorry for the Videogame historians of the future. Because they will be going along all hunky dory and then suddenly in the 2010's they will discover that they have FFXIII and FFXIII-2 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4

They will wonder WTF we were thinking back in that (this) decade.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here