EA Admits Poor Medal of Honor: Warfighter Sales

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

EA Admits Poor Medal of Honor: Warfighter Sales

Electronic Arts has acknowledged that Medal of Honor: Warfighter sales are lower than expected.

Analyst Doug Creutz said last week that Medal of Honor: Warfighter, EA's new modern combat FPS, was "likely to be a major disappointment," and it looks like he wasn't too far wrong. In a conference call with investors earlier today, CEO John Riccitiello said EA's third-quarter results are likely to be "soft," due primarily to weaker-than-expected sales of Warfighter. Specific numbers weren't revealed, but EA has reduced its full-year financial outlook by $50 million in response.

EA actually managed to post a slight year-over-year revenue gain for its second fiscal quarter, earning $1.08 billion, up from $1.034 over the same quarter in the previous year. "We are managing the ups and downs. Our Q1 and Q2 were better than expected," Riccitello said. "Our Q3 appears soft, due mostly to Medal of Honor."

The company noted that Warfighter actually managed to hit the top of the U.K. sales charts in its first week of release, although EA Labels President Frank Gibeau admitted that EA is "not pleased with the situation." He said that internal testing and mock reviews indicated that Warfighter is better than the ugly critical reception it has received thus far but added, "There are people out there who just don't like the game."

Our own MiracleOfSound awarded Medal of Honor: Warfighter a 2.5/5 score in the official Escapist review, calling it "marred by a myriad of bugs and cliches." It currently has a cross-platform Metacritic review score of 54.

Sources: Joystiq, Forbes

Oh God, who are they going to fire this time?

looks like we might be finally starting to get to the end of the latest fad cycle. even the hardcore fanboys of this seem to be getting sick of it and wont accept a half assed game.

what next? back to world war 2?

I take issue with the line " He said that internal testing and mock reviews indicated that Warfighter is better than the ugly critical reception it has received thus far".

The biggest problem with that is that internal testing and mock reviews mean pretty much nothing if everyone else in the real world hates it.

Really? And you did so much for it. It's a sequel to a decent but not-too-special reboot, you rushed it out, requiring a big launch patch, held back reviews so nobody could learn anything about it, and didn't really advertise it that well.

The hell did you think would happen?

nikki191:
looks like we might be finally starting to get to the end of the latest fad cycle. even the hardcore fanboys of this seem to be getting sick of it and wont accept a half assed game.

Depending how well BO2 does we might be heading back to futuristic warefare or slightly more futuristic warfare.

You'd have to be an Abu Sayyaf sniper not to see this coming.

How the fuck did they not know this was going to happen. Anybody could've told them this.

GAunderrated:

nikki191:

Depending how well BO2 does we might be heading back to futuristic warefare or slightly more futuristic warfare.

Fine with me, I like robotics and nano-tech/magic in my shooters and pretty much every game I play. With the Modern Military Shooters it was all the same thing, Americans/U.K with their guns and either Russians/Koreans/Or some middle eastern guys with their guns. When you get back to futuristic themes you can make up a lot more stuff which is just way more interesting than the same two sides fighting with same damn weapons over and over again.

They shouldn't have had such high expectations, they should realise that most people are dedicated to Battlefield or Call of Duty (or both). Strict CoD players are wayyyyy more likely to start playing Battlefield rather than Medal of Honour. Some Battlefield players, like myself, don't even like MoH. Don't know how they didn't see it coming really :/

I will give EA this though, they made the trailers look good (multiplayer and singleplayer) but after I played the Beta I decided it was a definite no go for me :/

Warfighter
what a totally stupid name. What else do you expect to do in a wargame?

Warwoodfloorpolishing?

Well we all know what happens next don't we? RIP Danger Close studio.

Not surprised it did badly after Totalbiscuit booted it not long ago.

The only real way to kill off COD and BF and MOH games is to simply stop buying them. I have to buy a single one of these titles, due to just hiring them when they go weekly at my local Blockbuster...If we all did this, then finally these shitty series would be gone!

BloodRed Pixel:
Warfighter
what a totally stupid name. What else do expect to do in a wargame?

Warwoodfloorpolishing?

Well they were going for "Warmedic" but decided that the name was just too off-brief.

Mangles69:
The only real way to kill off COD and BF and MOH games is to simply stop buying them. I have to buy a single one of these titles, due to just hiring them when they go weekly at my local Blockbuster...If we all did this, then finally these shitty series would be gone!

Or more like all of the series you hate. I like CoD, not sure about this "Modern Warfare 4" but I am looking forward to Blops 2. As for MoH, it probably should die though it's literally gone generic as you can go. Even compared to CoD.

kajinking:

GAunderrated:

nikki191:

Fine with me, I like robotics and nano-tech/magic in my shooters and pretty much every game I play. With the Modern Military Shooters it was all the same thing, Americans/U.K with their guns and either Russians/Koreans/Or some middle eastern guys with their guns. When you get back to futuristic themes you can make up a lot more stuff which is just way more interesting than the same two sides fighting with same damn weapons over and over again.

I too would like to see more Sci Fi games instead of gritty modern games.

As a bonus we might see Battlefield 2143 next to compete with the direction Blops is going!

nikki191:

God I hope so. And yes, I am deadly serious.

Hopefully this time they'll be forced to do more than the same old Omaha Beach D-Day story and realise that there's more material to use in WW2 than just about any other conflict humans have ever had.

Not to mention it's hard to argue that the fighting in WW2 wasn't important. Regardless of personal opinions, you can't ignore that there is far less agreement as to the value of the current War on Terror.

I'm not surprised at all considering the lack of advertising on EAs part. For every other game that was positioned as a major release this fall I have seen tons of ads in the weeks leading up to and the the weeks following release(Borderlands 2, Resident Evil 5, Dishonored, Assassin's Creed 3, Black Ops 2). I don't think I saw a single ad for Medal of Honor. It is possible I missed them and they were advertising heavily when I wasn't looking, but that seems highly unlikely considering how much I couldn't avoid all the rest of the video game related ads.

I..what? When was this released? I'm incredibly confused, I thought it was coming out later in this year.

Yes, there are people out there who don't like the game? But you know why? It's not because they're CoD HXC fans or something like that. It's because the game sucks! Seriously! What happened there?

Alright, the campaign is fine but most people who buy a FPS don't buy it just to play the campaign and that's it. The multiplayer menu itself is confusing, the game randomly pairs you up with people and just as easily switches your game, if you're inviting someone to your squad, it's a 50/50 chance the game WILL pair you up with your buddy, the pop-up-next-to-my-buddy feature was actually a pretty bad idea, the knife/axe takes a second to react (very important if you've played any FPS) and just...ugh. Some things are fine such as the graphics (even though when you die, your character looks ridiculously similar to a ragdoll) and the fact that you can shoot through some objects; it's not the first time its been done but still.

It plays a lot like Battlefield 3 and while I didn't like BF3, I admit it was good. But MoH:W is just not fun. And it sucks because I wanted it to be good. A game written by actual soldiers? Alright, that sounds good.
But it wasn't.

Was there a beta for this game? I wanna say yes but I forgot. and if there was, then what the hell, EA?

...unless the released MoH just to make a quick buck while they finish BF4. Sounds like something that would happen.

I probably shouldn't be savagely gladdened by this news, 'cause, y'know, people's hard work and jobs and livelihood and whatnot.

But I am. I really, really am.

I have issues with the modern military shooter genre at the best of times. I find the whole Arab/Russian murder-em-up ohh-rah fantasy distinctly creepy at the best of time. Like a fifteen year old boy playing with a switchblade and muttering about stabbing his stepdad.

But cross that with decidedly crummy design and execution and, yeah... they deserve every bit of failure they get.

Remember what innovation was like? Let's get back to that!

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the game would be an underachiever. There was little to no marketing campaign to speak of - the only thing I saw was a horrible Linkin Park video that had nothing to do with anything. The sooner they get back to the classic roam-anywhere campaigns, the better.

BTW, Allied Assault (and its expansions) are $10 right now on GoG - a way better use of your time.

Andy Chalk:
He said that internal testing and mock reviews indicated that Warfighter is better than the ugly critical reception it has received thus far but added, "There are people out there who just don't like the game."

I am just dying here, they seriously said something so incredibly daft as that?

Mock reviews oh lord.

OHH EHM GEE!! Gaem so turrible, whole trend needz 2 dye!! S2pid "modern shooters" just jeneric cooky cuter gaems maed fer anyooal proffits!!

Am I doing it right?

Seriously though, I don't think anyone really expected it to be a mindblowing, innovative experience for...well, anyone I suppose. 'Cept maybe those Die Hard MoH fans out there.

Release game that's nearly identical to competitor: better sales.

I don't think that's how it works fellas.

Andy Chalk:
He said that internal testing and mock reviews indicated that Warfighter is better than the ugly critical reception it has received thus far but added, "There are people out there who just don't like the game."

"But we thought our game was pretty good!"

I wonder whether they have any idea how silly they sound bringing that up.

Hello EA. I just thought I would let you know that MOH is a series renowned for being worse than COD for over a decade.

If you would like to make a FPS that's great! Just don't use an old IP that was never great and will obviously never be great. Maybe try a dev team that doesn't suck, or creating a game with a title that doesn't make gamers puke.

Are you telling me the brownest, most generic FPS ever (and I realize the competition for that is brutal) is not flying off the shelves?

They'll probably slap the Bioware logo somewhere on the next iteration.

godofallu:
Hello EA. I just thought I would let you know that MOH is a series renowned for being worse than COD for over a decade.

It's even more tragic when you remember that Infinity Ward was formed from a group of developers who worked on Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

Andy Chalk:

ORLY?!

Andy Chalk:

It currently has a cross-platform Metacritic review score of 54.

I wonder why, OH! No I do not. The game is a hyper linear, derivative, unoriginal shooter that tries to be better than what is already out there by doing the same damn thing. People who want to play COD will play COD, why would they want something that does the same exact thing, only worse?! They will not.

Is it really that risky to go beyond the tired, stale, and overused CoD style if this is the result of playing it safe?

I guess the fact it sold anything at all is enough for them.

So basically EA has come out and said "Our game is actually awesome, but our critics and consumers are too stupid to realize it"

Way to go EA, earn that consumer trust and goodwill!

We all know that EA failed in courting reviewers and media outlets as is currently custom, hence the frosty critical response when in other times if EA had gone with the status quo I'd reckon it would be in the 80s.

It's also not going to help that writers are just looking for any excuse to pander to it's fans and bash EA, so the circus goes on...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here