Take an Unpleasant Stroll Through Outlast

Take an Unpleasant Stroll Through Outlast

The developers of Outlast are celebrating the fun and excitement of Halloween with a lengthy new trailer featuring a man who's been torn in half.

Earlier this month we introduced you to Outlast, a first-person horror game set in the abandoned insane asylum of Mount Massive, where unspeakable shenanigans are afoot! Hearing that the place may not be as derelict as everyone thinks, intrepid journalist Miles Upshur decides to investigate! It does not go well.

"I am currently inside Mount Massive, a supposedly abandoned asylum in Colorado, and I've stumbled across an atrocity I can't put into words. The Murkof Corporation is in the middle of creating something unthinkable here - a malevolence that humanity has yet to experience. I fear for my life, and for mankind, because of what I'm witnessing," Upshur said in what I can only assume was a phone call to his PR guy.

"Video of everything I've seen so far can be found on this tape," he continued. "I need to find my way out of this complex, but fortunately I have what I need to capture more footage in the meantime... as long as my camera power lasts, at least."

Props to Miles for his dedication to his job, but I think in his shoes I'd be focusing more on the "find my way out" and less on the "capture more footage" business. I guess some of us just aren't cut out for journalism.

Outlast is expected to be released for the PC sometime next year.

The lighting engine looks sick, but it kinda makes me scream when you pass a whole swat unit and not check a one for pocket knife, ammo, guns etc. just grab the goggles so you can see whats trying to kill you.

Hate forced helplessness when you got a clear duh moment like that.

cerebus23:
The lighting engine looks sick, but it kinda makes me scream when you pass a whole swat unit and not check a one for pocket knife, ammo, guns etc. just grab the goggles so you can see whats trying to kill you.

I thought that was acceptable because A) dude is just some journalist who evidently doesn't think that far ahead and B) it'd be a pretty crappy trailer if he found a MP5 and left the manianc twitching on the floor, riddled with bullets. Crappy and short! Personally I was more annoyed that he was walking backwards into a new room in the dark, only using his night-vision camera to look at the brightly illuminated area he just came from, the giant moron.

Connection to the Nazis? Hell yeah!

cerebus23:

...I didn't think that. Clearly I'd fail in a zombie outbreak.

Somehow I can imagine Jameson being the real man behind this reporter "I want pictures! Pictures of the Asylum!"

WOW... that trailer reminded me of the original BioShock trailer combined with REC, that was pretty intense, let's hope the actual gameplay plays similarly, although I wonder how would you get more batterie for the camera, as it seems like an important part of gameplay, or better yet, how much time does it have until the battery dies.

Color me interesed in this :)

SupahGamuh:
WOW... that trailer reminded me of the original BioShock trailer...

Yeah, I thought the same. It definitely struck a nostalgic cord the way they did this.

I dunno.
The baddies seem too mundane to truly be scared of them. Even "The Hills Have Eyes" freakazoids can be taken down with a sturdy melee weapon or gun. These guys look like nothing more than a crossbreed radioactive zombie and Deliverance baby.

Methinks the supernatural is more scary, if only because it's harder to rationalize.
At least it gives a bit of D.E. Machina when they shrug off bullets like spitwads.

Mirror's Edge, the horror game.

That's what I got out of this trailer.

I think I came.

Right up until about 3 minutes in, I was thinking "ohshitohjeguswhatwasthataaaaaaah." It was dark, there were mysterious noises, there was tension, I was starting to phase into flashbacks to Amnesia's prison, and then: "ARRRGH. I AM A MONSTER. I AM IN YOUR FACE WITH BRIGHT LIGHTS ON ME. CAN YOU SEE ME? ARE YOU SCARED? BE SCARED." And then I was bored for the rest of the trailer. I mean, it's still pretty slick, the lighting is excellent, and I love the night vision camera idea, but they've shown me the monster. That's, what, one of the cardinal rules of horror? There's exceptions to it (Silent Hill 2), but I somewhat doubt that mutated mental patients are really going to be symbolic of anything here.

That said, I'm still interested. It does so much that I like, and I hope they fix the monster up a bit.

Dammit, as soon as he got under the bed I knew how the trailer was going to end but still it made me jump. This game looks fun, can't wait.

Viper1265:
Dammit, as soon as he got under the bed I knew how the trailer was going to end but still it made me jump. This game looks fun, can't wait.

Heh, same here. My mind was like one of those annoying people at the back of the theater going, "Ooh, he's gonna be right next to you as soon as you look back. Don't look back! Ah! You looked back!" lol

This looks pretty sweet though. I also get heavily reminded of the first Bioshock by the trailer and I love Amnesia even though I'm too terrified to finish it, so I'll have to check this one out.

isnt it funny that you can just kick a monster that managed to tear a squad of trained combatants to bits away?

i am not really impressed by the trailer.

while parkour like movement of the trailer might spice things up a little (you and a monster that cant be stopped by an empty carton box) and give the player a new experience in survival horror, i bet my left testi that we will end up getting just another boring hide throught this corridor/tunnel level until generic monster #21783489236 goes away.

and heavy breathing doesnt make anything scary for me.

Ya know, it's times like this that I wish I wasn't a giant wuss when it comes to horror games. It looks really good, but seriously, I would probably throw the mouse out the window after hastily shitting my pants.

Viper1265:

i knew exactly that the monster would squat down there, waiting to be seen.

The moment the camera went to look around the room, zooming in and all that heavy breathing basically signaled me: jumpscare (or rather squatscare)ahead.

I seriously hope this is not the kind of game that trys to startle or something.

Looks quite promising, looking forward to actually lay my hands and soul on this one.

Motion seems to take a hint from Mirror's Edge, big smoochies, kudos and thanks for not hurting my eyes with glaring colours.

Lighting engine looks solid.

Jump scares and audio reminds me of Condemned. The first one was my number one scary game for quite a while. It looks like an action-y Amnesia, which could be great (scary) fun if done properly. Do want!

cerebus23:

Aye, I'd take a shotgun with plenty of shells, an axe and a quiet corner which lets me try and control any incoming baddies by shooting them to bits or chopping the nasty head or sticky fingers off off their smelly undead mutated bodies over night vision goggles any time.

Doesn't seem to be that kind of game, though. I still want this to happen, as it looks really well made, with plenty of effort and skill gone into it.

Ever since Siren: Blood Curse I'm pretty biased against putting myself under beds or into cupboards, as I generally oppose the notion of turning myself into a self-service snack for the criminally insane, the possessed and the undead.

God, just thinking of Siren: Blood Curse makes me physically sick - in the best possible way, but still. There's unpleasant and then there's the act of patiently waiting in hiding, hoping for the baddies to just shuffle along... and then you end up watching them coming right at you, in the most cruel, most brutal, most tormenting and most roundabout ways.

That's the good bad stuff.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here