Dotcom Sets January Date for Mega Launch

Dotcom Sets January Date for Mega Launch

Kim Dotcom's latest file-sharing site will launch just before Dotcom's extradition hearing.

Kim Dotcom's latest file-sharing site Mega, arising from the ashes of Dotcom's previous venture Megaupload, now has a January 20th release date. In what might come to be seen as hubris, Dotcom has set the launch date so that it will occur just before his New Zealand extradition case is heard.

"The new Mega will not be threatened by US prosecutors," Dotcom said when he made the announcement, adding that "the new Mega avoids any dealings with US hosters, US domains and US backbone providers and has changed the way it operates to avoid another takedown."

The initial announcement was briefly delayed, when repeated attempts to access the site caused the servers to overload. "All FBI agents pressing reload hahaha," Dotcom joked on Twitter. "We see their IP addresses," he added.

The page currently up is just a splash, describing how Mega will work and how to become a partner. Mega is also looking for investors, not because it needs money for launch but because Mega wants to stay free of charge for as long as possible. For more details, see the Mega site.

One of the major differences between Mega and Dotcom's Megaupload, which was shut down over copyright infringement allegations, is that Mega operators will not have access to files. File owners will need to ensure that their content isn't copyrighted, not the Mega operators. "You hold the keys to what you store online, not us," said Mega.

Source: Guardian

Steer clear of US domains hosts/domains/backbones - I guess that's the best way to get things done when you've got anything to do with file sharing these days.

I had been frantically searching for the actual DNS for Mega thinking that Kim had somehow bought out "wwww.mega.com" or something, but it turns out to be "kim.com/mega" :P

That FBI joke was funny, but will it host anime at HD resolution?

"You hold the keys to what you store online, not us,"

If pirates upload files to MEGA are they liable if the content is found illegal or is it still in MEGA's hands?

Interesting stuff :o

I'll invest. I think that his idea for digital music is a pretty good one, and will undoubtedly cause much RAAAAGE with the industry if it takes off.

You've got to hand it to him: he's got style. I like that.

Soon the pirates will torrent the encryption keys to mega hosted content to avoid the new six strikes system.

Think what you want about the man himself & his intentions, he's definitely got a handle on what he's doing.
I'm not 100% sure how to feel about Kim Dotcom personally; he might be an internet diva cashing in on the movement he promotes, or he might actually believe in a noble cause. Whatever his intentions, I think he's doing important work & I respect his ingenuity & tenacity

Im going to invest, this will make lots of money, and I want a piece! :P

Kargathia:
You've got to hand it to him: he's got style. I like that.

Definitively. Agree or disagree with what he's doing, but he's hard to stop with that kind of chutzpah.

Evidence that stamping out piracy only makes it stronger.
Like Valve said you have to provide a better service than the pirates.
You also have to be willing to work with your customers.
What the music / film industry does not realize is digital services like Steam are here to stay.
After a music cd / movie blu -r ay has been out for a while the physical cd price / blu - ray will go down but the digital song / movie price will remain high..
A lot of people do not want a big pile of cds and blu - rays. cluttering what little room they might have.
They want easy to access digital music and movies.at an affordable price.
Itunes provides somewhat easy access but they charge high prices.
Netflix has an incredibly friendly service and a great price but the big movie studios will not play fair with them.
But with the bad economy people can not afford fork over hundreds or thousands for their favorite movies / songs, so they pirate them.
The movie / music industries need to wake up and realize that half the piracy problem is their own fault.
It is not enough just to create a popular product.
This product must also be within easy reach of the average consumer
If it is not the consumer becomes a pirate.
In economics they ask you what would happen if people could not afford the price of milk.
The answer is the price of milk would go down.
I am not saying the creative industry should not be paid.
I am just saying that after a product has been out for a while you should eventually lower the price.
You must also provide better customer service than the pirate on the day of release .

Problem is pirates are actually getting better at customer service lol.

From the page where you can offer to host servers for the new site:
"Limitations:
Unfortunately, we can't work with hosting companies based in the United States. Safe harbour for service providers via the Digital Millennium Copyright Act has been undermined by the Department of Justice with its novel criminal prosecution of Megaupload. It is not safe for cloud storage sites or any business allowing user-generated content to be hosted on servers in the United States or on domains like .com / .net. The US government is frequently seizing domains without offering service providers a hearing or due process."

I don't what's scarier; that this is true or that this guy has the balls to actually put it up on a .com domain!

FelixG:

I'm seriously trying to fill out the contact form, but I don't know what it means when it asks for my website (I don't have one)

Oh well. Guess I'll have to take my disposable income elsewhere :/

renegade7:

FelixG:

I'm seriously trying to fill out the contact form, but I don't know what it means when it asks for my website (I don't have one)

I put N/A (Not Applicable) and it accepted it

FelixG:

renegade7:

FelixG:

I put N/A (Not Applicable) and it accepted it

Yea, just did that. Thanks. Maybe I'll make some money, hopefully :)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here