Ouya Plots Course for December Release

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ouya Plots Course for December Release

The android console now runs on Jelly Bean, not Ice Cream Sandwich.

After its phenomenally successful Kickstarter, the Ouya team started work on the little console that could and, in an announcement on the Ouya site, has confirmed that it's on track for its December release date.

"Last week was a huge milestone for us," the Ouya team said, "we received our first development run of PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) for the console ... the first boards came to life without any hitches, and we're now fine tuning software and hardware performance for graphics, wireless, and user experience!"

The console hardware is now in verification testing, where the team starts identifying and eliminating potential issues; but this means that people who signed up for the Ouya developer kits will be getting them on time, as promised.

The Ouya team also announced a switch from Ice Cream Sandwich, its old android OS, to Jelly Bean, the latest version. This means that the Ouya developer kits will be among the first to use the latest android update; the others are Samsung devices, and won't be out until November 2012.

In addition to the hardware update, Ouya also wants to let developers know how to create games for Ouya. Ouya's advisory covers input scheme, display, payment, settings and software, among other things. The full post can be found here.

Source: Joystiq

Image: Ouya PCB (Hardware Update)

I have to say, I love android's OS naming scheme. Very Original.

I'll be looking to get an ouya eventually, maybe after christmas if there's any left when the holiday season is over.

edit:

mattaui:
They're set for a December release of their Development units and the Alpha SDK. The only way anyone's getting one is if you Kickstarted it at a high enough level to get a Dev unit. This isn't going out to consumers for Christmas.

Good to know, in that case I'll still wait a bit after the initial release so I can hear some first hand experiences with the device before I decide to purchase it.

I'm definitely getting one, here's hoping its a success.

-Dragmire-:

I'll be looking to get an ouya eventually, maybe after christmas if there's any left when the holiday season is over.

Definitely wait to see what the first wave of consumers think about it if you haven't already bought one. I'm one of the guinea pigs XD

They're set for a December release of their Development units and the Alpha SDK. The only way anyone's getting one is if you Kickstarted it at a high enough level to get a Dev unit. This isn't going out to consumers for Christmas.

That being said, this is still an important milestone for a unique console. I just hope when it hits the market it doesn't feel too underpowered based on what else will be available at the time.

Here's hoping this turns out to be a real sweet consol.

Fappy:

-Dragmire-:

Definitely wait to see what the first wave of consumers think about it if you haven't already bought one. I'm one of the guinea pigs XD

Definitely looking forward to reading threads about people's first hand experience with the device.

Also, YAY! Mao has returned!!!

I still cannot, for the life of me, understand what the fuck people are expecting of this thing... especially to have thrown millions of dollars at its kickstarter.

Is it all about the 99$ price point?... or what?

-Dragmire-:

Fappy:

-Dragmire-:

Definitely looking forward to reading threads about people's first hand experience with the device.

Also, YAY! Mao has returned!!!

And more cynical than ever! That, or extremely nervous! :3

Being of the PC master race, I'm legally obliged to hate all consoles.

I'm making an exception for the Ouya, though. Here's to hoping it throws some rather large and sturdy wrenches into the gears of the current status quo.

Mr.Tea:
I still cannot, for the life of me, understand what the fuck people are expecting of this thing... especially to have thrown millions of dollars at its kickstarter.

Indie console gaming that doesn't require $40,000 certification, for starters

Open source software

Final Fantasy III getting it's first ever US console release

& this might just be me, but the controller is pretty innovative (touchpad & analogue buttons all in one. pretty nifty)

Mr.Tea:

The price point is most of it, for me I'll probably just use XBMC on it to stream media from my server to my other TV, any gaming on it will just be a bonus. Not to mention Netflix and whatever other apps get thrown at it.

I backed this and the Pebble, honestly I'm more excited for the pebble but I'll get just as much use out of the Ouya.

Looks awesome, hope it get's the success it is striving for! Can't wait for mine!

Zombie_Moogle:

Mr.Tea:

Open source software

& this might just be me, but the controller is pretty innovative (touchpad & analogue buttons all in one. pretty nifty)

I admit I was being a bit flippant, because part of your reply is exactly what baffles me with the Ouya.

First, it's like "open source software" is this brand-new exciting innovative thing... Really not; it's just getting cool all of a sudden /hipster.

Then there's what Yahtzee mentioned a short while ago along the lines of "the games I'd play on a console/PC are different from those I'd play on Android/iOS"

Also, the 40K$ certification has always been easy to circumvent... It's called a gorram computer. But then of course they're 1)scared of piracy and 2)want the "mass appeal" of a console...... (...because computers are so underground, rare and not at all ubiquitous... NO! Bad Mr.Tea! Alright, alright. Ease and smoothness of use. I understand.).

And Final Fantasy... Well, what does that have to do with the Ouya? Nothing has been keeping that from happening other than Square-Enix's whim.
Although, thinking about that: If it's embraced properly, I can see the Ouya becoming "every older console at once" through emulation and I can certainly see the appeal of that.

All that said? Yeah, I guess it is the price point combined with the idiocy of current console-makers ('cause really, any of them could have made it happen).
Here's hoping they do something good with it beyond it just being "another console".

newwiseman:

Mr.Tea:

The price point is most of it, for me I'll probably just use XBMC on it to stream media from my server to my other TV, any gaming on it will just be a bonus. Not to mention Netflix and whatever other apps get thrown at it.

I backed this and the Pebble, honestly I'm more excited for the pebble but I'll get just as much use out of the Ouya.

Holy shit that thing looks awesome! How had I not heard of it?

Now if only I had a smartphone... :(

Zombie_Moogle:

Mr.Tea:

Open source software

It only $99/yr for 10 games certification on Xbox:

http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-us/home/membership

Don't know where you get the $40,000 price from, I don't even think that is the non-indie price.

Baldr:

Zombie_Moogle:

Mr.Tea:

Open source software

Don't know where you get the $40,000 price from, I don't even think that is the non-indie price.

I thibk it was Tim Schafer who said each patch costs around a cool 40 grand. The reason why Jonathan Blow didn't patch Fez.

Mr.Tea:

Zombie_Moogle:

Mr.Tea:

Open source software

I admit I was being a bit flippant, because part of your reply is exactly what baffles me with the Ouya.

First, it's like "open source software" is this brand-new exciting innovative thing... Really not; it's just getting cool all of a sudden /hipster.

Then there's what Yahtzee mentioned a short while ago along the lines of "the games I'd play on a console/PC are different from those I'd play on Android/iOS"

Also, the 40K$ certification has always been easy to circumvent... It's called a gorram computer. But then of course they're 1)scared of piracy and 2)want the "mass appeal" of a console...... (...because computers are so underground, rare and not at all ubiquitous... NO! Bad Mr.Tea! Alright, alright. Ease and smoothness of use. I understand.).

And Final Fantasy... Well, what does that have to do with the Ouya? Nothing has been keeping that from happening other than Square-Enix's whim.
Although, thinking about that: If it's embraced properly, I can see the Ouya becoming "every older console at once" through emulation and I can certainly see the appeal of that.

All that said? Yeah, I guess it is the price point combined with the idiocy of current console-makers ('cause really, any of them could have made it happen).
Here's hoping they do something good with it beyond it just being "another console".

I agree this is really only exciting because nobody's done it with a console before. Could they have? I imagine so, but they hadn't.
& for the record, I'm pretty much exclusively a PC gamer these days specifically because indie gaming is strong & console makers are in Bizarro World. I miss my consoles; I don't know why, but I do. It's probably just nostalgia, but is a device made for the sole purpose of gaming really so bad? I don't think consoles need to be as terrible an experience as they often are these days & I'm hopeful that the Ouya will grow to be an example of that

Raiyan 1.0:

Baldr:

Zombie_Moogle:

Open source software

I thibk it was Tim Schafer who said each patch costs around a cool 40 grand. The reason why Jonathan Blow didn't patch Fez.

Your talking about a re-certification, still doesn't cost that much, and Microsoft has said time and time again, they want developers to get their games right the first time, they don't want to waste bandwidth games that constantly need to be patched. As a player you don't want to be playing buggy games either. They got a strict penalty for re-certification.

Baldr:

Zombie_Moogle:

Mr.Tea:

Open source software

Look into the Fez patch debacle. A good game stayed broken because Microsoft demands ridiculous amounts of money to allow the creator to fix it

I'm a little confused (and a bit drunk). Is the console itself slated for release in December or is it just the Dev Package?

Zombie_Moogle:

Baldr:

Zombie_Moogle:

Open source software

Look into the Fez patch debacle. A good game stayed broken because Microsoft demands ridiculous amounts of money to allow the creator to fix it

It was for a re-certification of patch that should of been right the first time. The price for re-certification was never posted only as "tens of thousands of dollars", but was never confirmed.

Baldr:

Zombie_Moogle:

Baldr:

It was for a re-certification of patch that should of been right the first time. The price for re-certification was never posted only as "tens of thousands of dollars", but was never confirmed.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120721/18262519786/charging-40000-to-issue-patch-makes-games-better-microsoft.shtml

Oh boy! I can't wait to pay 100 bucks to pay ugly mobile games stretched out on my wide-screen TV.

I bet it won't look awful at all

/sarcasm

I'm sorry, but I'm still confused. What the fuck is this thing supposed to be for again?

Is it really just for people who don't have a phone and who are also too cheap to buy an actual console (Not that I'd recommend playing on consoles at all mind)

What is the point of this thing?

Not that I wanna be the guy to piss on everyone's parade, but I don't see how this could possibly end in anything but hilarious, train-wreck level failure, especially with what the fans seem to be expecting, what with the top 20 list of games they want and the Ouya team's refusal to go out and straight talk about the fact that this thing simply can't run all the shit that people seem to want it to.

I'll be watching with interest from the sidelines, if it takes off, great, but it doesn't have me convinced

bringer of illumination:
Oh boy! I can't wait to pay 100 bucks to pay ugly mobile games stretched out on my wide-screen TV.

I bet it won't look awful at all

/sarcasm

I'm sorry, but I'm still confused. What the fuck is this thing supposed to be for again?

Is it really just for people who don't have a phone and who are also too cheap to buy an actual console (Not that I'd recommend playing on consoles at all mind)

What is the point of this thing?

Not that I wanna be the guy to piss on everyone's parade, but I don't see how this could possibly end in anything but hilarious, train-wreck level failure, especially with what the fans seem to be expecting, what with the top 20 list of games they want and the Ouya team's refusal to go out and straight talk about the fact that this thing simply can't run all the shit that people seem to want it to.

I'll be watching with interest from the sidelines, if it takes off, great, but it doesn't have me convinced

Seriously? Noooooo idea why an open source gaming console might be interesting? You haven't a single clue about the remarkable way that might open up indie development? Not a single clue as to how this might introduce console gaming to completely untapped markets?

MopBox:

bringer of illumination:
snip

Seriously? Noooooo idea why an open source gaming console might be interesting? You haven't a single clue about the remarkable way that might open up indie development? Not a single clue as to how this might introduce console gaming to completely untapped markets?

Nope, not one.

You see, there's already this magic open-platform called a "PC" that everyone has one of, which is perfectly possible to hook up to a TV and plug a controller into.

And guess what, a PC can play more than 5 games that aren't utter crap.

But a 100-150 buck netbook a viola, you have something as easy to move and hook up as a Ouya, but that is also VASTLY more powerful and can play hundreds and hundreds of games, lots of which are FAR beyond the best games released on Android, and it's as easy for indies to develop for PC as for Android.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how adding the word "console" somehow makes it all worth it.

Baldr:

Zombie_Moogle:

Baldr:

You're an idiot if you believe anyone can guarantee a piece of software as bug free.

I'm glad it's only a devkit, because trying to compete with everything else in December is suicide for small projects.

cidbahamut:

Baldr:

Zombie_Moogle:

You're an idiot if you believe anyone can guarantee a piece of software as bug free.

I not saying it was bug free, but it is costly to having to keep patching a game. Microsoft had already given them the ok to patch the game. They wanted to create a new patch, this time Microsoft told them they would have to pay for the bandwidth if they wanted to release a new patch.

Logic is failing here... you backed the Pebble so you must have a smart phone, given that just about every aspect of the Pebble's functionality requires it be in range of a Bluetooth enabled smart phone... yeah I am trying to come up with a situation where I wouldn't just use or look at my phone...

Anyway back to the point, you backed the Pebble so must have a smart phone but want an Ouya which basically plays games that were designed for your smart phone...

So instead of buying one device that does everything, i.e the smart phone, you want to buy the smart phone and then two additional devices that can be used to do only a few things that the smart phone can do?

I'm glad the Ouya seems on track so far. I was skeptical whether they could do it and so didn't contribute to the Kickstarter. Might just buy one when they go to general release. I'd probably just slap Plex or XBMC on it, though.

Baldr:

cidbahamut:

Baldr:

I not saying it was bug free, but it is costly to having to keep patching a game. Microsoft had already given them the ok to patch the game. They wanted to create a new patch, this time Microsoft told them they would have to pay for the bandwidth if they wanted to release a new patch.

See, all these arguments are thrown down the shitter when I see that XBLA's competitor (Steam) provides free patches and encourages the developer to keep patching post-release.

bringer of illumination:

MopBox:

bringer of illumination:
snip

Nope, not one.

You see, there's already this magic open-platform called a "PC" that everyone has one of, which is perfectly possible to hook up to a TV and plug a controller into.

And guess what, a PC can play more than 5 games that aren't utter crap.

But a 100-150 buck netbook a viola, you have something as easy to move and hook up as a Ouya, but that is also VASTLY more powerful and can play hundreds and hundreds of games, lots of which are FAR beyond the best games released on Android, and it's as easy for indies to develop for PC as for Android.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how adding the word "console" somehow makes it all worth it.

as someone who has a high end gaming machine, gaming laptop, ps3, android 4G smart phone, android tablet etc etc (seriously the list is getting rediculasly long) I can see the value of the ouya. basically while windows is open to develop on, its not open source. the difference is that an open source console (the ouya will be the first) would allow the owners to do whatever they want on it. no Sony locking out launch features because they don't want to support them (other OS), while also not wasting resourses on an all round bloated os like windows (yes win8 is far better than previous windows but the fact remains it will always be bloated with all the drivers, software etc to allow it to run on almost any pc vs just 1 hardware that consoles can guarentee). and the price point is a nice bonus, could have other non gaming uses for a small $99 portable computer.

capetcha: now look here - are you threaterning me captcha??

Raiyan 1.0:

Baldr:

cidbahamut:

See, all these arguments are thrown down the shitter when I see that XBLA's competitor (Steam) provides free patches and encourages the developer to keep patching post-release.

They probably didn't think much of being a digital distribution platform and multiplayer service under the same protocols when the console launched 7 years ago. Most likely they will separate the two when the new console hits the shelves.

How awesome would it be if the Ouya "beats" Nintendo's, Sony's and Microsoft's next consoles in terms of sales/adoption/development.

It won't happen, but maybe it'll do well enough to give the big 3 something to think about...

Nimzar:
How awesome would it be if the Ouya "beats" Nintendo's, Sony's and Microsoft's next consoles in terms of sales/adoption/development.

It won't happen, but maybe it'll do well enough to give the big 3 something to think about...

Personally, I kind of hope it doesn't.

Judging by what I'm reading here, it'll house mostly small, almost social indie games.

I really don't want Microsoft and Sony to be all, "Oh man, we need to be more like that!"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here