How to Jump Around Like You're Really in Assassin's Creed III

How to Jump Around Like You're Really in Assassin's Creed III

A fan-made video shows off real-life parkour through the woods.

In case you haven't heard, jumping the woods of New England in Assassin's Creed III is just as fun as leaping across the buildings of Italy. Grabbing tree branches and springing over rocks can be fun in real-life too, especially if you're wearing an Assassin's Creed-themed costume and taking out Redcoats with a tomahawk. That's what director Devin Graham captures in this video starring the talented Ronnie Shalvis playing the hero of AC3 Connor.

Now, to be sure, there's a lot of egregious flipping over rocks in the 3 min video, but that's tempered with the fact that it looks freaking rad. The scenery in the background is just amazing, and both director and performer did an excellent job working together to capture the fun of acrobating your way through the forest.

But special mention has to be made of the original music composed by Stephen Anderson. I won't say it reminds me of an specific Assassin's Creed themes, but definitely creates an adventuresome atmosphere for Shalvis' antics.

Kudos to the whole team for composing such an excellent video.

But how do we do the eagle dive?

Personally I'm really getting pissed off at the free-running in AC III. I always found it shoddy at best in the previous games, but in their attempt to simplify it and make it more fluid it seems that they've actually made it even worse.

They said that they fixed it so that you don't end up jumping in the wrong direction or angle or something...well that's a load of BS, as I find myself doing a LOT of crap that is absolutely moronic...like jumpin on fences when I didn't want to, jumping at the most ridiculous angles, and discovering that because they apparently took away the "hold B while jumping to reach and try to grab a ledge", if your angle is off by even the slightest bit, you'll just bounce off the wall and fall.

Nevermind all the times Connor has felt like just running up walls that aren't there...but that's another story.

Connor in this video wasn't all to keen in catching the guy, was he?

This is free-running, rather than parkour. The latter is just about getting from place to place most efficiently, and you wouldn't see any of the flips he throws in just for flair. It's still really cool.

I would think there are easier ways to get a horse in the game...

SecondPrize:
This is free-running, rather than parkour. The latter is just about getting from place to place most efficiently, and you wouldn't see any of the flips he throws in just for flair. It's still really cool.

Particularly the ones where he's just flipping off of something...and then goes in a completely different direction, rather than using the flip to actually overcome some obstacle in the way of reaching Point B. Jumping off that rock in the middle of the road to then continue down the road next to it was rather amusing, for instance.

But yeah, still nice moves. Landing on that narrow jut of the huge boulder was probably the most impressive bit. I wonder how many attempts that took before he didn't slide off when he hit it.

This is pretty cool, but what I wandered when I saw it before was why not noose the guy who was riding the horse? Rather than the foot soldier, and he would have saved himself the hassle of chasing a galloping horse.

Captcha: stay safe

It's like the captcha knew I wanted to try this myself.

I like all those flips he kept doing for absolutely no reason :P

But in all seriousness this is pretty cool.

You're quick enough to intercept a runaway horseman while also flipping off boulders and stuff, but you aren't quick enough to tomahawk the guy to start with? All you did was end up taking him out at range anyway.

Some of those flips made me think "Wow that's a clean way of clearing that obstacle."
Some of those flips made me think "...Really? Was that really necessary?"
Regardless, everything made me think that dude was awesome, and I can definitely appreciate that which I cannot do myself. Nice vid.

Should have just killed the guy on the horse first, really.

Ronack:

it was almost like he forgot like halfway through and then was like OH YA i got to kill somone else

chaos order:

Ronack:

it was almost like he forgot like halfway through and then was like OH YA i got to kill somone else

Lol. I think he wanted to practice his flips before he caught the guy.

Ronack:

He took the scenic route.

Also, that was the slowest horse in the world.

Ronack:

Nah. Connor's M.O. - along with most players' shared motif - seems to be "kill the one guy, then take off on a wild and fancy-free prance across a few acres of joyous woodlands, revelling in your ability to twist yourself around every which way whilst in midair.

Oh, and once you're done faffing about - maybe think about killing your target."

impressive but some pointless jumps. why run towards the tree or rock, make a somersault and runs back in to the direction he just came from????
anyway, nice watch.

That is extremely well put together. Normally I'm usually annoyed by fan videos, because they go on for about 20 minutes, and consist almost entirely of people who just want to wear costumes and hold guns, but don't want to tell a real story. This one was very watchable, concise, and excellently put together, even if Connor did a few back flips too many. Astonishing effort all around.

My only beef is the costumes themselves. Cosplay outfits always look impeccable, and it takes me out of the story. Wouldn't fighting in the wilderness result in a slightly less than immaculate clothing? The trick, as I understand it, is to drop new clothes on the ground and kick them around for an hour or so. That way they look appropriately faded and worn.

Two-A:

Ronack:

He took the scenic route.

Also, that was the slowest horse in the world.

Maybe the horse was free running too.

I can imagina a random old woman picking mushrooms in the forest when he comes running by and being like "WTF!!! O.o??!!"

Parkouring is all kind of cool but I think this is more free-running. I am no expert but that's the picture I have of the two different things.

Hazy992:
I like all those flips he kept doing for absolutely no reason :P

But in all seriousness this is pretty cool.

Why have you and Fappy gone on some crazy change avatar everyweek spree??! O.o
It's strange not seeing the double catwomen and Fox McCloud anymore :,(

Althou that's a cool Sonic picture :D

CorridorDigital did it way better

Pretty sure at least half of those flips were unneccessary, but without them, the video would have been a lot shorter.
Also, I would not want to be the Redcoat that gets to walk while the only other Redcoat gets to have the horse. I bet they weren't even planning on taking turns.

For people commenting on the flips, keep in mind this is a FREE RUNNING video

Sigh if only I was athletic enough and had the coordination to do free running.

Orlake:
For people commenting on the flips, keep in mind this is a FREE RUNNING video

Actually, no, the title of the video specifically says Parkour, which means all those fancy flips don't really belong in there. Hell, even if it was a free-running video, that wouldn't make it better, 'cus there's no free-running in AC, but rather a phat load of Parkour.

Free-running is the artsy branch, while Parkour is all about economy of motion.

Its a shame the direction is a bit questionable. From the sun jumping up and down in the sky to flitting between different biomes and heck, even parts where he doubles back upon himself, suspension of disbelief becomes incredibly difficult.

To clear up the confusion, imagine a Venn diagram:
Parkour is efficiency in motion.
Tricking is basically "flips in the city" (or countryside in this case).
Freerunning is the intersection of both the above fields.

Psst, hey director, sometimes less is more. Nonetheless these are great acrobatics.

Meh Indiana Jones would have hung the guy with his whip and then shot the horse rider with the dead mans musket.

But I suppose this was mostly about seeing a guy do sweet flips before tomahawking a pom.

*Kill* (wait, he's pinning down the redcoat's whole bodyweight with one hand? How does that even... oh, we're off again)

*2 full minutes of dicking around*

*kill*

Seriously though, that's impressive. Non-urban parkour/freerunning is very difficult to make interesting because of the lack of flat surfaces and elevations, and it's usually dull as ditchwater watching some guy just jogging in the woods. In this case I think they did very nearly the very best they could. The video just needed some sense of urgency or relevancy to give his faffing about a context, like emphasising the pursuit, maybe having the redcoat fire some shots or throw something to justify the backflips off the rocks, and so on. Still a solid 8/10 from me.

I wish I could do that stuff, but I predict my ankle joints would be powdered bone after the first two fluffed jumps onto uneven rocks...

....Yeah because those English soldiers could not have possibly seen a dude in bright white climbing up that branch. I guess they were paying really close attention to the road directly beneath their feet.

Greg Tito:

But special mention has to be made of the original music composed by Stephen Anderson. I won't say it reminds me of an specific Assassin's Creed themes, but definitely creates an adventuresome atmosphere for Shalvis' antics.

Actually, it's funny that you should mention that. I was just thinking about that, and I re-watched the video specifically intending to try and pick out which parts were influenced by which Assassin's Creed soundtrack. Now, I might be mistaken, but I thought that I noticed that some AC themes are directly referenced by the music.

The very first part, immidiately following the initial attack, is from ACI, giving a subtle nod to both the Jerusalem and Acre themes; the same snippet is given a reprise of sorts later in the vid. After that, the ACIII Main theme kicks in, not a similar piece, but the actual theme rearranged for the video. That bit continues on for just about the whole vid, providing a base for the final nod: a very noticable part from ACII's main theme (called "Earth", it's pretty much Ezio's leitmotif), which appears the first time as a female vocal part way through the chase (much like how "Earth" starts), and reappears at the very end of the chase and over the credits, played on plucked strings (much like how it was at the end of "Earth").

I do agree with you, however, the combination of all the themes makes an absolutely awesome piece, and really captures the feeling of the series as a whole.

More on topic, while I think that the unnecessary flips were kind of dumb, they still looked pretty darn awesome.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here