Brit Finds Secret Message on Dead World War II Carrier Pigeon

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Brit Finds Secret Message on Dead World War II Carrier Pigeon

An English couple found the remains of a pigeon while renovating their chimney.

Carrier pigeons are birds trained to fly home to a location, such as a house or airfield, and they've been used for centuries as a means of communicating over long distances. They were even used as late as World War II; the British Royal Air Force sent birds along with every bomber mission in order to send back word in case the plane crashed in enemy territory.

Fast forward to today, when David Martin began renovating the chimney at his house in the village of Bletchingley in Surrey. Among the rubbish pulled out of the chimney were the preserved pigeon bones of a bird and around a leg bone was a red capsule containing a small rolled up piece of paper. On the paper is a message that might just contain new insights about events in World War II. The only problem is the message is written in a code, the key to which we seem to have lost. The British government doesn't know what the code is, but they have the top codebreakers in the country working on it now.

David Martin described what it was like to find the pigeon's remains as he was cleaning his chimney. "I started pulling it down, bags and bag of rubbish," Martin said. "And then, the pigeon bones started appearing one by one. About three handfuls of rubbish later, down came the leg with the red capsule on it, with a message inside. Unbelievable."

"It was like Christmas," his wife said.

The number on the capsule doesn't match with any records, but what's crazy is the red capsule was only used by the Special Operations Executives - special agents who frequently worked behind enemy lines. Perhaps that's why the message was encoded. Yet it's still odd, for even the birds used by the famous codebreakers at Bletchley Park during the war were all written using plain language.

I'm interested to find out more about this message because it may contain a little piece of history we would never have discovered if it weren't for David Martin finally getting around to cleaning his chimney. I mean, what has he been doing for the last 70 years? Letting it get filled with leaves and pigeon bones? Sheesh.

Source: BBC

In Surrey? Might pop round and give him props, i'm pretty sure that village is not that far from here.

Seriously though, leave it to an English woman to describe finding a dead bird with a note as "like Christmas".

Edit: Yeah, he literally lives a twenty minute train ride away from me, crazy.

Very interesting. Let's hope it's something important and that they manage to break the code!

It says

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"

Greg Tito:
The number on the capsule doesn't match with any records, but what's crazy is the red capsule was only used by the Special Operations Executives - special agents who frequently worked behind enemy lines. Perhaps that's why the message was encoded. Yet it's still odd, for even the birds used by the famous codebreakers at Bletchley Park during the war were all written using plain language.

Hmm. Round about this paragraph is when my hoax alarm starts ringing...

His wife honestly needs better Christmases. I feel bad for her.

Whose idea of Christmas is having a pigeon skeleton fall into your living room?

I think the better question is why the pigeon was in the couple chimney? Yes it probably died/ got killed and fall into the chimney but what was the cause of death? Gun shot, got taken by those hawk trained to hunt them or was it on its last flight? Or maybe some Nazis got hold of the pigeon and excuted it and drop it in that chimney (yes I know that is very unlikely)!!

I highly doubt the Germans managed to shoot down a pigeon over England. It might just have fallen victim to another bird, or laws of nature. In any case: Internet, get on decoding the message!

It must have been from the WW-II Assassins, trying to keep Hitler from finding the Apple of Eden. Assassins always use carrier pigeons.

"It was like Christmas," his wife said.

Pigeon bones! Everywhere! They just fall from the sky all December and we decorate our Christmas tree with them! Infact, I don't even know why we call it Christmas! It's just that time of year where we get a massive influx of Pigeon bones instead of fat men in red suits!

Happy Bone-mas! Pigeon Bones for everyone!

Daaaah Whoosh:
It must have been from the WW-II Assassins, trying to keep Hitler from finding the Apple of Eden. Assassins always use carrier pigeons.

Thank god I just played the first a few days ago or I would have really not have gotten the joke. Also with how the third ended they're basically setting up for AC4 so WWII is highly likely.

Don't they have surviving bomber crew who know the code?

Nevertheless, a very cool find, and i cant wait for them to decode it.

Looks like...

*puts on sunglasses*

They stopped the Pigeon.

Scarim Coral:
I think the better question is why the pigeon was in the couple chimney?

No, I think the BEST question is why is this the first time the chimney's been cleaned since the 1940's?!

Because, seriously. Ew.

Less on-topic, I think they should plug the code into one of our modern supercomputers and see how long it takes to crack it.

Dead World War II carrier pigeon?

As opposed to a living World War II carrier pigeon? ;D

OT: I wonder what the message says...

I bet it's just a shopping list, encrypted for poops and giggles.

We put the smartest minds known to man on this. The British Common Wealth will not rest until this valuable message has been decoded so it may offer new insights into events during WW2.

I just got a message in. We cracked the code! The message reads:

Drink more Ovaltine....

GODDAMNIT!!!

Got beaten to the joke.

...Wow, talk about an unusual surprise. Wonder what happened to make the pigeon get stuck in there...

"The Pigeon knows too much. I am sending him down a chimney for 'special assignment'. When found, deliver the following message and an enclosed packet of nuts and grains to the bird's family in Bristol."

"Chirp chirp, whistle tweet. Coo."

Pinkamena:
Very interesting. Let's hope it's something important and that they manage to break the code!

Well, I don't know how important it could be 50- wait... *checks calendar* 70 years after the war? Oy, where has the time gone?

They should post it on 4chan. I bet they have it de-coded within 12 hours.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Pinkamena:

Well, I don't know how important it could be 50- wait... *checks calendar* 70 years after the war? Oy, where has the time gone?

Maybe the message is about how Hitler isn't really dead, and that he has a functioning, time-travel capable, fully armed mecha suit, and that he'll be arriving roughly close to 71 years from then?

Maybe the end of the world is Mecha Hitler warping into modern Germany, taking it over, then giving everyone mech suits! Then it's just one giant crazy mech fight!!

Oh! And Abraham Lincoln and George Washington Carver come out of some super mystical space gate and give us mech suits of our own?

Or... it might just be some boring old message about something no longer relevant at all...

Iron Criterion:
Looks like...

*puts on sunglasses*

They stopped the Pigeon.

OT: So, any idea what it says atm? We need an update on this, could be vital to winning the war!
;)

Say, is anyone else here tempted too try and break the code before the Brits?

They should the bird AT&T :P
I guess this is what happens when you try to send a message during beak hours.

It is probably mentioning the probability of all the future war-games about WW2 we have now.

Construction workers still regularly find relics from that time, like undetonated bombs, but for some reason they don't think of those as being "like Christmas". Odd.

this is pretty cool I hope its real and not someone trolling

Skeleon:
Construction workers still regularly find relics from that time, like undetonated bombs, but for some reason they don't think of those as being "like Christmas". Odd.

Because they're just doing their job, and probably don't give two craps about the war. I'm amazed at how many people are getting so worked-up about the wife's "it was like Christmas" comment. Heaven forbid someone be excited about finding a World War 2 relic in their own home.

The secret message:

Well, it IS Britain.

So i guess a christmans was intercepted by a messadge pigeon.

Perhaps it was the worlds funniest joke? It would explain a lot. Too bad the code they used was pigeon language.

"A secret message? From our soldiers in Germany?! Maybe this is finally the last clue we need to turn this war around! It's like Christmas!". That's the only explanation I could think of for her saying that it's like Christmas. Unless, of course, she has some weird pigeon-bone-with-secret-message-wrapped-around-it's-leg fetish.

DVS BSTrD:
They should the bird AT&T :P
I guess this is what happens when you try to send a message during beak hours.

I bet the cryptographers are homing in on the exact method to crack the code.

If it's in code (not a cypher), it might never be cracked. Any cypher from the pre-computer days can easily be cracked nowdays (if the message is long enough), if it's just a series of code words you need a codebook or someone who has memorised one.

It's probably just a shopping list.

"Dear Mum,

I'm doing fine.
Please send me a pound of cheddar and an ounce of ham.

Love,
William"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook