Dotcom Proposes Suing Hollywood to Pay for Kiwi Broadband

Dotcom Proposes Suing Hollywood to Pay for Kiwi Broadband

Kim Dotcom will use any cash generated from his lawsuits to revive a defunct $400 million fiber cable project.

Kim Dotcom, who recently announced Mega as a successor to his site Megaupload, has come up with a cunning plan to provide free broadband internet to New Zealand. Dotcom claims that he'll fund this $400 million project with proceeds from lawsuits he intends to lodge against Hollywood studios and the US Government, for what he describes as the "unlawful and political destruction of my [Megaupload] business."

The cable project - which had been proposed and then dropped by defunct company Pacific Fibre because it couldn't find funding - would double New Zealand's bandwidth. Dotcom's unconventional proposal has already received some cautious backing from Labour's Communications and IT spokesperson, Clare Curran, who said that the idea was worth consideration.

"The sentiment is right," said Curran, making no mention of Dotcom's tactics. "Kiwi businesses, particularly in the technology sector, have been calling for a second cable for some time now. Their concerns need to be taken seriously."

Dotcom claims that the cable project is vital to New Zealand's future prosperity, and says that - if successful - the broadband provided will be free of charge to individual users, a move supported in part by charging business and government. In addition to cash from lawsuits, Dotcom hopes that his new company Mega will be able to invest in the cable.

"Unfortunately the current Government wants to invest into more tarmac roads," said Dotcom. "In ten to fifteen years most people will work and shop from home. You don't need tarmac, you need fiber!"

Source: New Zealand Herald

And how, exactly, will those goods and services get to your house? Airdrops?

I don't disagree that governments should be investing in their internet infrastructure, but you have to be a blithering idiot to suggest we can let the roads crumble.

As far as suing Hollywood... well, good luck.

Here's the only green you'll be getting from hollywood Dotcom.

FloodOne:

You forget, he has a helipad.

Best of luck Dotcom.

I honestly hope that you bankrupt some of those companies. Though I do question how you think all the stuff you order online eventually gets to your door.

The UPS man is not a Time Lord popping around in his tardis.

If he wins that lawsuit, I'll be laughing so hard. Poetic justice is so much fun :)

Anyone want to pitch a ballpark figure as to how long it will be before Kim starts stroking a white cat while cackling insanely from a huge hollowed out volcano?

wait a minute. his premise is to sue a conglomeration, and a federal body and not only profit, but on the pretense that he broke a standing legal precedent of copyright infringement (repeatedly). so the judge will go "so you want money because by knowingly breaking the law your business got shut down"
"yes"
"next case"

Well... this should be interesting... though im not sure if its gonna be in a good way...

gardian06:
wait a minute. his premise is to sue a conglomeration, and a federal body and not only profit, but on the pretense that he broke a standing legal precedent of copyright infringement (repeatedly). so the judge will go "so you want money because by knowingly breaking the law your business got shut down"
"yes"
"next case"

Technically, it was never proven if he broke the law or not, since he never had a trial. The issue is that, without a trial, his entire business was stripped from him and shut down. Basically, insuring that no matter the result, the US wins.

If they can beat him in court, which seems less and less likely considering the borderline illegality of how it all went down, he gets punished like they want.

If he wins in court, his business will have been out of commission so long that everyone would have moved on and everything he'd have worked for would be destroyed. That's assuming the owners of the Megaupload servers don't wipe out all the data like they said they would since they aren't getting paid for them any more, which would not only wipe out his entire business, but potentially destroy evidence he could have used in his own defense (Not sure what happened to that. May have happened already).

This whole thing was just an attempt to make Kim Dotcom an example. The US wanted to crush him, destroy his business and crucify the guy so that other sites would either shut down and/or not spring up again. They wanted to show that they could strong-arm foreign governments into letting them bring the hammer down on their citizens. Considering how badly its been bungled though, it looks like it might just backfire on them.

Suing Hollywood and getting high-speed Internet out to more people with the winnings? I say good luck. Seriously. I want this to happen.

1337mokro:
Best of luck Dotcom.

I honestly hope that you bankrupt some of those companies. Though I do question how you think all the stuff you order online eventually gets to your door.

I've always been intrigued by the prospect of smaller, unmanned shipping vehicles. Perhaps I shall pitch Dotcom the idea :D

Fasckira:
Anyone want to pitch a ballpark figure as to how long it will be before Kim starts stroking a white cat while cackling insanely from a huge hollowed out volcano?

I've never been big on torrenting, personally, but it seems to me that Dotcom is becoming something of an Antihero; doing good in the world, despite his own inclinations, personality, or even intentions

Well as a Kiwi this is set to benefit me quite nicely.

The fibre venture is to get another trans-pacific fibre cable going from NZ to the US. The current connection is not coping very well with the ever increasing traffic. It also includes another link to Australia to improve bandwidth between the two countries.

As a Kiwi, I hope he wins.

As for the comment about roads, it was said that the government wants to invest into *more* tarmac roads, not maintaining the current road system.

We probably could do with a few more roads, but we could probably do with better internet as a slightly higher priority.

1337mokro:

I hope he bankrupts all of them. The world is better off without a zillion-dollar monolithic entertainment industry feeding the masses crap, choking out creativity, and suing random people for made-up offenses just because they can.

While I think it sucks that Kiwi's don't have great internet, and that it would be awesome for them to actually get their hands on a solution...I just can't support a guy who went around stuffing his pockets from copyright infringement.

Considering the precedent this sets I want to smack this guy upside the head with a 2x4 (two by four)... repeatedly.

I don't get why some of you are taking his "tarmac" comment so seriously. It was obviously a little hyperbolic.

I agree with him that New Zealand's long-term priorities should be focused on international communication and not focusing SOLELY on roads. He in no way implies that they should stop all road construction. Eesh.

I hope he wins, personally. The US government should not be in the business of ruining people without a trial and outside of the laws of both the home country and the other country (US and New Zealand).

Fasckira:

Unfortunately most NZ volcano's are either too small (like Auckland) or too active.

There are some pretty nice cave systems ripe for Evil Lair conversion although. (The tourists that occasionally wander in is another matter.)

Fasckira:

He already has one.

"Ten to fifteen years".

FloodOne:

1337mokro:
Though I do question how you think all the stuff you order online eventually gets to your door.

Thats the thing..we already have roads..we have trains we have planes. Its not like the system is broken. And upgrading the roads wont make sending things any cheaper or easier for the customer.

It would be a worthy comparison if I dunno...we only had single lane roads in the country and it was causing massive delays everywhere. Which is very much isnt. How that analogy perfectly fits with whats happening with our internet basically. 1 not very big cable feeding an entire country..a growing country too.

Funny enough shipping/postage costs have risen dramatically here recently..and wanna know the reason for it? Its so underused. People dont send mail anymore and most things being sent are physical goods. I dont get my bank statements through the mail anymore, so little nom-package mail actually HAS to be sent physically instead of being sent digitally.

Kim Dotcom is an enormous asshat, as if one couldn't tell by his name. This lawsuit is bound to fail, and he'll probably get counter-sued, putting him out of the public sphere for good. The world will be less obnoxious as a result.

I wish this guy luck. He needs to get compensation for the unfair treatment he received that cost him his whole business. THERE IS NO PROOF that he made ALL of his money from piracy! There was NO REASON to destroy his business. But the did it anyway. He DESERVES to be able to receive compensation from the assholes that destroyed his business without due process

SpAc3man:
Well as a Kiwi this is set to benefit me quite nicely.

The fibre venture is to get another trans-pacific fibre cable going from NZ to the US. The current connection is not coping very well with the ever increasing traffic. It also includes another link to Australia to improve bandwidth between the two countries.

Oh yes please, I want more then 13 mbps!

scotth266:
Kim Dotcom is an enormous asshat, as if one couldn't tell by his name. This lawsuit is bound to fail, and he'll probably get counter-sued, putting him out of the public sphere for good. The world will be less obnoxious as a result.

This lawsuit will only exist if the case against him will be shut down. It's about HIM counter-sueing in case it gets proven that his buisness was unlawfully shut down.

i am still waiting to read in the newspaper that he painted himself green and attempted to storm naked into fort knox....

jail fucked his mind up... even when i thought that guy was a nutjob before the incident.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here