Update: Anonymous Hacks Everything For Guy Fawkes Day

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

So should I change my Paypal password and should I be really concerned that they hacked Paypal?? Also why would they hack Paypal?

Daystar Clarion:

weirdguy:

Daystar Clarion:
Guys! Guys!

Let's wear the face of a terrorist who wanted to install an even more oppressive Catholic regime!

While we're at, let's put Nazi swastikas on our arms to represent ethnic diversity!

given the context it's entirely appropriate and sends the message they wanted to deliver

That they have no clue about historical figures and base their entire 'movement' around the misuse of one?

I agree.

i meant that they are advocating freedom from tyranny by using oppressive force dictated by their own whims without logic or reason

Well at least their idol is appropriate: A failed criminal.

weirdguy:

Daystar Clarion:

weirdguy:
given the context it's entirely appropriate and sends the message they wanted to deliver

That they have no clue about historical figures and base their entire 'movement' around the misuse of one?

I agree.

i meant that they are advocating freedom from tyranny by using oppressive force dictated by their own whims without logic or reason

I think Anon just saw Agent Smith in a cool film and wanted to be like him.
At any cost.

kiri2tsubasa:
...what is this supposed to accomplish? Are they trying to avenge Guy Fawkes by taking businesses down and replacing them with Catholic businesses? What is the goal? Seems like it is simply ' don't like this company of lets screw them over somehow'

Most hacktivists don't know what the Hell they're doing beyond the technical aspects. They're either hyper-competent kids in need of a cause and who figured that taking on the tentacled and faceless "MAN" would actually do some good...

Or they're script kiddies looking for an excuse to take shit down and prove how UBER HAXX0R they are because they managed to set up a basic botnet to DDOS a government website. I don't know jack about hacking, and I can do that. All I need is a trip to Astalavista, an antivirus, the F2 key on my keyboard and people who actually will still open unsolicited executable files attached to emails.

One quick rename, and I'm done.

It's just so easy to comfort yourself with the misguided certainty that you're actually attacking a Fascist bastion of pure evil nastiness, when you're probably just doing the equivalent of kicking a grownup's shins angrily when you're three and desperately want some sweets.

Well, that's it, they have clearly lost it and they have no idea what they're doing (although personally, I think they already had no idea what they were doing long before this).

They would probably claim their operation a success, but it's not, I'm afraid. Why? Because you took down these websites, rather than do what you said you were actually going to do this 5th of November by going after Zynga. So, another fail to Anonymous.

Still, I'm not surprised since I'm sure we all knew they would never be able to do what they said they were going to do.

People need to stop supporting this group because all they're doing now is just attacking random websites and stealing information and just making up any kind of excuse to justify their actions(attacking Lady Gaga's website? Really guys? Also you talk about protecting people's privacy and information when you constantly steal it and expose it to the world. So they are now officially hypocrites!).

Judging by how much they suck at activism, "Hacktivist" is easily the most appropriate term to describe anon.

Guy Fawkes masks are the Che Guevara t-shirts of our generation.

How did the hackers celebrate November 5th this year? Well, by claiming to attack numerous websites for major companies and organizations including but not limited to PayPal, antivirus software-maker Symantec, ImageShack, NBC, the Argentina Government Bank, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), and the official website for an Australian government program for disabled people.

wow , that will show those stinking disabled people not to supress the freedom of the internet.

what a bunch of idiots..

mad825:
So they took a British holiday and took targets that are American...Yeah. If you're going to do anything on this day, at least try and keep the tradition and attack political targets.

we all live in America

Don't forget that Australian government disability help-site. FUCK THE PO-LICE, AMIRITE?

Amerika, it's wunderbar!

Quiet Stranger:
So should I change my Paypal password and should I be really concerned that they hacked Paypal?? Also why would they hack Paypal?

I think you should be ok, paypal released a statement saying "lol no", basically.

Or, change it anyway! =D

So... do they have a reason for their targets... or are they just making mischief to try and get mommy to notice them? I think I got it, they feel lonely because nobody notices them (thus anonymous) so they want to get attention. What they really need is a big ol' hug! I declare the fifth of November the new free hug day!

NO.
You may NOT have the 5th of November. That is OUR day and YOU CANNOT TAKE IT FROM US.
People these days...

yes because attacking a disabled assistance site shows you have good intentions and have good morals. seriously these people need gaol time (that's jail for yanks)

captcha: like the Dickens - damn right, their dicks

What... What are they trying to prove? Anonymous used to actually attack people for a reason, but why did they attack these websites? Because it's the 5th?

Oh, and good job taking down Facebook, like you claimed too, That was great. /sarcasm./

Urgh.

All this will do is make it more easy for Governments to have the excuse to restrict internet freedom more and put harsher laws down... When the heck was V for screwing the disabled people!!?? The twats involved in this are lower than scum and I hope they are found and jailed for a long time... I wish they would stop using the Guy Fawkes and start using what they truely are and that is a large ugly troll!

So, instead of taking down Zynga and Facebook they defaced a website that helps handicapped people? Um, gratz?

And, please, we don't need a dissertation from someone explaining "Anonymous isn't a set group of people etc etc" that people feel they need to post every time these stories come up

Daystar Clarion:
Guys! Guys!

Let's wear the face of a terrorist who wanted to install an even more oppressive Catholic regime!

Awww, you beat me to it. Just because he was the only man to ever enter Parliament with honest intentions doesn't mean they were good ones!

Bobic:
And Fuck the disabled of Australia, stealing our car parking spaces like they ruddy own the place, who do they think they are?

Anonymous: Protecting us from being trodden upon rolled over by the jackboots wheelchairs of overbearing authority people who are handi-capable.

Bobic:
And Fuck the disabled of Australia, stealing our car parking spaces like they ruddy own the place, who do they think they are?
Anonymous: Protecting us from being trodden upon rolled over by the jackboots wheelchairs of overbearing authority people who are handi-capable.

Every time I drive into a mall, I think to myself, HOW CAN WE END THIS WHEELCHAIR OPPRESSION?

the doom cannon:
10 bucks they didn't actually hack paypal. they've made false claims of big targets before, and they apparently want to keep doing it.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner, turns out anon were talking out of their collective asses. I'm not American so rather than ten dollars, have ten pounds.

So, Anonymous lamely attacked a bunch of sites and DIDN'T bury Facebook as promised? You guys are worthless. You're like Saturday morning cartoon villains, and not even very good ones. Well, every cartoon villain needs an appropriate response:

Some days, it pays to be old school.

DVS BSTrD:
Hehehe Their plan is going to bomb harder than Parliament!

That is a horrible joke. I still laughed though!

Daystar Clarion:

weirdguy:

Daystar Clarion:
Guys! Guys!

While we're at, let's put Nazi swastikas on our arms to represent ethnic diversity!

I agree.

I agree as well. If we let Anonymous win, They will be worse then the Nazi's/Chinese/Soviet Russia in terms of oppressing free speech and free ideas.

Da fuk has to do "the Argentina Government Bank" with everything? one of these things is not like the others.

I try to sympathize with Anonymous, I really do. But the collective IQ of their whole organization is dropping like a stone. I can't even BS myself a reason this made sense. Idiots.

Zachary Amaranth:

mad825:
So they took a British holiday and took targets that are American...Yeah. If you're going to do anything on this day, at least try and keep the tradition and attack political targets.

we all live in America

They only know about the holiday because it was mentioned in V for Vendetta. I bet they don't even know THAT took place in the UK.

Not to mention that the holiday is explicitly celebrating the fact that he failed to overthrow the government. The american equivalent would be celebrating king George the third on the fourth of July.

Aw yeah, potential theft and attacking sites for the disabled.

Not content with attacking governments than they think are oppressing them because they can I guess, Anonymous has taken to generally just being that playground bully of the internet.

Sticking it to the man by attacking random other people the man doesn't even really know or care about.

Actually, considering Anonymous's hard right wing, white supremacist bent, them attacking a website for the disabled isn't all that shocking IMO.

Anonymous: Showing the handicapped whose boss here.

Honestly, how do these maggots still matter? Facebook? Nope, still working. But they defaced a bunch of other websites? Sorry... Don't see how that helps anyone.

How about an idea? I've got a perfectly viable target for you Anonymous. How about you try to tackle the most villainous thing you have ever come across? Two evils that you have yet to take down?

Virginity

and

Leaving your MOTHER'S BASEMENT

Primero Holodon:

Zachary Amaranth:

mad825:

we all live in America

They only know about the holiday because it was mentioned in V for Vendetta. I bet they don't even know THAT took place in the UK.

Not to mention that the holiday is explicitly celebrating the fact that he failed to overthrow the government. The american equivalent would be celebrating king George the third on the fourth of July.

Also the fact that he wasn't exactly doing it to end government or anything, but rather to install the same kind of government with a dude he supported.

Which still isn't that far from the American parallel, since much of the colonies wanted a new King, but....

Necromancer Jim:
Aw yeah, potential theft and attacking sites for the disabled.

Not content with attacking governments than they think are oppressing them because they can I guess, Anonymous has taken to generally just being that playground bully of the internet.

Sticking it to the man by attacking random other people the man doesn't even really know or care about.

It's the internet. Random acts of sociopathy are considered heroic acts.

Patrick Buck:
Snip

FalloutJack:
snip

You guys do realize that Anonymous confirmed that was fake right, they never actually made the claim, it was someone else. Tends to be a problem when you're called anonymous, anyone can pretend to be you and no one thinks to check.

Y'know what? I don't care about Anonymous anymore. When I first heard of them years ago I was excited. Interest dwindled when I realized some of the attacks were more about general rebellion or counter-culture than they were about fighting for freedoms. Finally, a friend of mine brought to light the idea that a portion (I'd estimate half or more) of the hackers belonging to this group only use it as a scapegoat so they can get away with breaking the law. They don't really care about the purpose, or they're doing it for the wrong reasons, or they're pussies. Break the law out in the open with credible eyewitnesses, THEN you really believe in what you do.

That last sentence is going to be misconstrued and argued over. I mean to say that if what you are doing is truly just, then you don't need to hide. If you're jailed it only makes your cause seem nobler. It helps ignorant people differentiate between a terrorist and a guerilla fighter.

IamLEAM1983:
Most hacktivists don't know what the Hell they're doing beyond the technical aspects. They're either hyper-competent kids in need of a cause and who figured that taking on the tentacled and faceless "MAN" would actually do some good...

Or they're script kiddies looking for an excuse to take shit down and prove how UBER HAXX0R they are because they managed to set up a basic botnet to DDOS a government website. I don't know jack about hacking, and I can do that. All I need is a trip to Astalavista, an antivirus, the F2 key on my keyboard and people who actually will still open unsolicited executable files attached to emails.

One quick rename, and I'm done.

It's just so easy to comfort yourself with the misguided certainty that you're actually attacking a Fascist bastion of pure evil nastiness, when you're probably just doing the equivalent of kicking a grownup's shins angrily when you're three and desperately want some sweets.

It's not legal to brainwash these kids into a paramilitary organization that overthrows dictatorships is it? 'Cuz I've always wanted to try that.

Zachary Amaranth:
It's the internet. Random acts of sociopathy are considered heroic acts.

I'm going to quote you on that. Forever. It'll be on my gravestone.

piclemaniscool:
I try to sympathize with Anonymous, I really do. But the collective IQ of their whole organization is dropping like a stone. I can't even BS myself a reason this made sense. Idiots.

says it all. people who would normally support them are now giving up trying to defend their actions

charge52:
SNIP

I have two points to make on that:

{1} I wanted to see FB taken down, because I don't like it, so the "You're bloody useless" crack still fits because I never really saw any value in these guys in the first place. That a doppelganger might make the same claim and still screw it up won't actually change my opinion there. It's still epic fails all around.

{2} Exactly how DO you check up on an organization which can't actually check up on itself properly (There is regular internal strife and conflict, after all.) and expect the true and honest answer to indicate yay or nay on the responsibility chart? Since they're so keen to be Alan Moore copycats, they are not above lying and manipulation along with overt attacks. Until Anon goes Batman and literally lays the true culprits at our feet, they're caught on the most slippery of slopes with that damn abominable snowman at the end and F won't make 'em go faster!

Wow, that last one kinda' got away from me. I assume that all made some kinda' sense?

Let's all wait for the next round of panic over draconian anti-hacking measures some government is about to pass for no adaquately explained reason, shall we?

duchaked:
umm...why? no wait I'll just say ...okay?

maybe they should target EA and Activision lol...

As annoying as those two are, I'd prefer it if they took down or defaced say, the World Bank website. Maybe go after the PNAC website next. I won't be so passe as to say they should go after Fox or newscorp, but shutting down Russia Today would be funny. Finally, for shits and giggles, Haliburton.

Seriously, if you want to support the cause of freedom through cyberspace, go big or go home and physically do something.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here