Star Citizen Creator: You Can't Do That On Consoles

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Star Citizen Creator: You Can't Do That On Consoles

Chris Roberts says current-gen consoles just don't have the sand to deliver a proper Star Citizen experience.

Chris Roberts has been an enthusiastic and unapologetic cheerleader of PC gaming since his recent return to the business with Star Citizen, but there's more than just nostalgia for the glory days of Wing Commander and Privateer at work. There's a practical aspect to it as well, specifically that current-gen consoles aren't powerful enough to do what Roberts is doing. Powered by the CryEngine 3, he claimed Star Citizen will offer realistic physics and graphics with "ten times the details of current AAA games."

"You can't do that much with 512MB [of RAM on a console], so that constrains a lot of your game design. If I'm building a PC game, I'm going 'Yeah, you need 4GB on your machine'," he told Ars Technica. "Of course you're not going to get all 4GB because Windows is a hungry beast, but you're getting a lot more than 512MB so it kinds of open up what you can do, what you can fit in memory at the same time, and it changes your level of ambition."

"You can do most of it on a next generation console, but I can promise you a top-end PC now is already more powerful than what a next generation console is going to be," he added. And, he pointed out, when Star Citizen comes out in two years the high-end gaming rig of today will be a middle-of-the-road setup.

"I have an iPhone and I can watch The Dark Knight Rises on it, but I don't want to watch The Dark Knight Rises on my iPhone - I want to see it in IMAX on a big screen, and I'm willing to spend $18 to see it on the big screen in IMAX versus downloading it for a couple of dollars on my iPhone," he said. "I definitely think there's a PC gaming audience like that."

Source: Ars Technica

Who really wants to watch movies on their iPhone?

to paraphrase "Gaming Consoles have limited capabilities..." (starts stroking self) "...to the pinical of perfection that is PC..." (begins to moan) "...gaming in all its glory. that should be revered as a..." (spurts across the desk) "...god of gaming"

and now Chris Roberts is done. I think that I might go play my Wii game console.

If graphics were the only thing required to make a good game then Square-Enix would be doing a lot better than it currently is.

I do prefer gaming on my PC but clearly not as much as this guy.

And here I thought he'd at least mention available peripherals... it's kinda hard to play a proper space sim without a flightstick (with at least 10 buttons, throttle, hat and twist controls) and a full keyboard.

I was gonna get all up in my grill about how elitist this guy is, but then two words stopped me: space sim.

Space. Sim.

SPACE SIM

SPACE MOTHA-FUCKIN' SIM

newwiseman:
If graphics were the only thing required to make a good game then Square-Enix would be doing a lot better than it currently is.

He's complaining about the amount of RAM since he mentions 4 GB and Windows eating some of it.
Granted Xbox and PS3 have far more efficient memory management but apparently it's not enough this time around.

More RAM will make the maps larger and more complex, more detailed and have things load faster and/or less frequent.

Why do the bad guys always get the coolest spaceships?

Small RAM size on consoles is a huge problem for gaming as a whole. It makes the developer choose between open environments and graphic fidelity. For example, wouldn't it have been cool if Bioshock had more diversity in room size? Or if Skyrim had a bigger texture palette? Since most games are ported between different systems, all platforms suffer for the constraints of the others.

Huh. That trailer offers better spaceships than some science fiction shows. Too bad Allen Cameraface and people still look fairly awkward. It's almost to the point of being able to use a game engine to do special effects, though, and that's interesting.

Shame then that graphics aren't the only thing one desires in gaming.

Boris Goodenough:

newwiseman:

He's complaining about the amount of RAM since he mentions 4 GB and Windows eating some of it.
Granted Xbox and PS3 have far more efficient memory management but apparently it's not enough this time around.

More RAM will make the maps larger and more complex, more detailed and have things load faster and/or less frequent.

I'd suggest you check the CIC (Wing Commander main fansite at www.wcnews.com), they've got a loooot of data about Star Citizen if you're interested.

I will fire up my free space mods again after seeing this.
Should keep me afloat until this baby hits the gold.

DVS BSTrD:

Same reason evil wizards get cooler magic and the dark side of the force comes with lightning.

Haters gonna hate the glorious master race.

BUT NAY, THEIR HATE IS IN VAIN FOR WE HAVE THE SPACE. WE HAVE ALL THE SPACE. AND YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SPACE.

2 years from now. Let there be space.

poiumty:

BUT NAY, THEIR HATE IS IN VAIN FOR WE HAVE THE SPACE. WE HAVE ALL THE SPACE. AND YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SPACE.

(Looks up to side) "daddy. When do we get to go into space?"
"soon son, soon. When the pretentious PC gaming crowd finally realizes that you can have good quality space flight on a console."
"when will that be"
"I wish I could tell you, but first it requires them getting their heads out of the own asses"

Durr PC gaming is deaduuuh...
Regardless, I'm the kind of gamer who doesn't care too much for graphics. System Shock 2 is still one of my all time favorites and that game was ugly as sin when it was released.
Now, the physics-aspects of this are more interesting if they actually affect gameplay in novel and important ways. But if it's primarily about graphics, then I don't really give a toss, despite how great this indeed looks (assuming that's ingame graphics).

Wow, there are obvious hardware limitations out there, but as usual, both sides are justifying their stance in a rather condescending fashion.

*goes back to play with his PS2 after a 3 days long LAN party*

*sigh* How does it make him evil if he states that the consoles have shit hardware by now? It is not news guys.

How is here any pretentious PC gaming crowd when all I see is console elitists whining about so-called PC elitists.

And how is it that people think they are smart if they throw in hardware into the same boat as graphics. They aren't smart because hardware = everything in a game, graphics is just a small part of it.

Threads like this are the reason why I have zero sympathy for the console crowd. Regardless of what and how you say it, you can only do wrong when you don't lick the balls of Sony and MS.

I still fail to see why console fans get in a tizzy about stuff like this.

What does it matter? Sure PCs of several years ago can be lightyears ahead of any current or planned console system but who cares. Games are typically different between console and PC so it's just about what you're in to and what you grew up with more.

Is it me, or does this guy come off as a bit of a wanker?

Anyways, I prefer the PC myself and am looking forward to this game but it will all be for naught if those shiny graphics make it unplayable for those lacking the most elite gaming computers.

And again I must ask, is your only role as a fighter pilot or do you get to command the mothership as well? And in this mothership can you walk all around it?

Andy Chalk:
... so it kinds of opens up what you can do...

Misplaced 's'.

DonTsetsi:
Small RAM size on consoles is a huge problem for gaming as a whole. It makes the developer choose between open environments and graphic fidelity. For example, wouldn't it have been cool if Bioshock had more diversity in room size? Or if Skyrim had a bigger texture palette? Since most games are ported between different systems, all platforms suffer for the constraints of the others.

Unless it's CD Projekt RED making the two versions. The Witcher 2 is amazing on both Xbox and PC.

Games only suffer from this because most games are not given enough time to develop properly.

I'll tell you something I am part of that consumer base haha I am all for this

newwiseman:

Better hardware doesn't only mean good graphics. More RAM, means bigger areas, better CPU means better physics and AI, installing the entire game on a HDD means that loading times aren't as much of an issue, etc.
With the PC being an upgradable platform, developers have more freedom to make the games that they want to make, rather than what the console allows them to.

OT: I'm excited for this game, but I'm a bit skeptical and afraid that Chris Roberts might pull a Peter Molyneux on us. The fact that it's a PC exclusive and crowd-funded gives me hope that it might turn out as he promises.

Boris Goodenough:

newwiseman:

your first paragraph: you are stating that the Xbox and PS3 have limited RAM, but make up for it by also having efficient memory management.

it is the other way around they have limited RAM which requires the developers/programmers to facilitate for it by including the efficient memory management that you are talking about. this is why Skyrim get almost unplayable on the PS3 because the memory management isn't designed for the system right, and the reason it isn't getting fixed is because they have to re-write the way that they do memory management almost taking the game back to square one, and would technically have to re-release the game to fix it. it isn't that the systems have the memory management it is that the systems require memory management to be a forefront principle of development.

your second paragraph is for the most part accurate, but that is still a developer thing with streaming, and draw distances.

gardian06:

your first paragraph: you are stating that the Xbox and PS3 have limited RAM, but make up for it by also having efficient memory management.

it is the other way around they have limited RAM which requires the developers/programmers to facilitate for it by including the efficient memory management that you are talking about. this is why Skyrim get almost unplayable on the PS3 because the memory management isn't designed for the system right, and the reason it isn't getting fixed is because they have to re-write the way that they do memory management almost taking the game back to square one, and would technically have to re-release the game to fix it. it isn't that the systems have the memory management it is that the systems require memory management to be a forefront principle of development.

your second paragraph is for the most part accurate, but that is still a developer thing with streaming, and draw distances.

Hen or the egg, strictly speaking then?

Captcha: skynet knows

Edit: But it is still a question about limits imposed by the hardware on the imagination of the developer, and when you have a space sim you want HUGE areas, take X3 for example it will eat up up to 7.3 GB of RAM (despite being a 32 bit program) in the right scenarios.

poiumty:

SPPPPPACE!
OT: Pretty much this, while PC gaming is expensive as hell, the money is worth it.

I want that game...

I want that game so bad...

Yeah, a modern PC is OBJECTIVELY better than a console in terms of raw power and high end of graphics. The current generation is still using being held back by six year old hardware that developers have to keep squeezing harder and harder, using everything they can to just get a drop of better preformance out of the Xbox 360 and (to a lesser extent) the PS3.

I am glad PC gaming appears to be having a resurgance.

gardian06:

poiumty:

"soon son, soon. When the pretentious PC gaming crowd finally realizes that you can have good quality space flight on a console."
"when will that be"
"I wish I could tell you, but first it requires them getting their heads out of the own asses"

Please, name a few for me? I am genuinely interested in these quality space games that stack up against Freelancer, X3, and the like.

Edit: Whoops, I meant genuinely, not generally!

Considering that the budget of every game is limited, and he sets out to make a fairly complex game by today's standards, i think that visual fidelity shoudn't be his utmost priority.

If you can afford to have all 3 (great story,graphics and gameplay), then more power to you, but i doubt the amount of cash he raised is enough for a game so ambitious as Star Citizen. Especialy considering that creating hight fidelity graphical assets takes a lot, and i mean A Lot of time and money.

In a video game only thing that can hold player's attention for a long time is gamepaly, also story, but only for a 1 playtrough i recon.

I don't know, maybe i'm pessimistic, we'll see.

DVS BSTrD:

Why is he a bad guy? He is only stating the truth, just like shooters on the Wii compare poorly to whats on the 360 & PS3. Only difference is that the Wii never held back the quality on other platforms unlike the 360 and PS3 do for the PC.

Not saying that all games suffer like this (theres fantastic games on every platform), but some do.

Mrkowi:
Considering that the budget of every game is limited, and he sets out to make a fairly complex game by today's standards, i think that visual fidelity shoudn't be his utmost priority.

Making great eye candy don't have to break the bank and have a 200 man dev team, Hawken only has a 8 man team, Dishonered 19, This game and another space game Strike Suit Zero will have a very small dev team aswell. All of them say that the reason they can do so much is partly down to been lean and been smart in where they focus their enegies, plus the new dev tools and rendering / lighting capabilities of newer tools and hardware.

Sure some games like MMOs need bigger teams, but it seems that there is alot of bloat in these 200 man teams.

Besides, it's a space game they should look epic and have eye candy and effects, the lack of terrain and buildings means space games are rather easy to bling out .

Space Sim.

With PC-gaming in mind.

ladies and gentlemen, clear my schedule.

Like, forever.

As an elitist, I feel that the focus on hardware and computing power is often overstated.

It's a fun EXAMPLE of how a PC is more flexible than a console, and IF YOU WANT TO, you can have lots of potential through optimizing your machine to your needs, but it's nothing more.

It's certainly not the main REASON why the PC is a superior platform. That's why so many of the best pc games that utilize the best parts of PC gaming, have weak graphics.

FelixG:

gardian06:

poiumty:

"when will that be"

Please, name a few for me? I am generally interested in these quality space games that stack up against Freelancer, X3, and the like.

Ever heard of Evochron Mercenary? This game will keep me busy on the months to come :D (Available on Steam)

And before you ask, yes, you can go down on planets to take a look, lol. The game is pretty sick IMO.

Valok:

FelixG:

gardian06:

"when will that be"

Please, name a few for me? I am generally interested in these quality space games that stack up against Freelancer, X3, and the like.

Ever heard of Evochron Mercenary? This game will keep me busy on the months to come :D (Available on Steam)

And before you ask, yes, you can go down on planets to take a look, lol. The game is pretty sick IMO.

That game does look rather nifty! Question though, it shows a cycle through a couple of capital ships near the beginning of the vid, do you pilot those or own them in some way?

If you can use the capitals I will jump straight to steam and buy this, I luuuv capital ship combat!

FelixG:

gardian06:

poiumty:

"when will that be"

Wing Commander 3 & 4, Colony Wars 1, 2 & 3 all on PS1
Consoles are just portable cheap PCs, especially the current generation. there's no reason it can't be done technically. its more to do with lazyness and a bad perception that console gamers only want cod, thus they think there won't be enough sales to justify the time and cost. also being arrogant doesn't help.

and before you call me a console fanboy, I have 2 powerful gaming I7 computers that play games on ultra, having a pc doesn't mean you can't enjoy a console or have to be degrading to others.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here