Battlefield 1942 Goes Free

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Battlefield 1942 Goes Free

Electronic Arts is marking ten years of Battlefield 1942 by giving it away.

Has it really been ten years since Battlefield 1942 went online? Time flies when you're shooting guys in the face, but a full decade? Wow.

But so it is, and EA is celebrating the tin anniversary by giving the game away to anyone who wants it. "Since the beginning, the reception to the Battlefield series has been incredible thanks to our amazing fans," said DICE General Manager Karl Magnus Troedsson. "We wanted to thank our fans who have supported us throughout the years by restoring Battlefield 1942 for a digital re-release and give everyone a chance to play the game that started it all."

EA isn't exactly giving away the farm on this one. Battlefield 1942 has been out for ten years, after all - I may have mentioned that - so anybody who really wanted to play it very likely already has. My understanding is that the community remains relatively strong but the vast majority of newcomers are going to approach it as a curiosity item, not something in which they're going to invest a lot of time and effort. On the other hand, free is free.

There are two catches to this Battlefield freebie. First, according to the fine print, the offer expires on March 1, 2013, so you've only got about five months to get on it. Second, and probably far more relevant to some of you, is that the game requires Origin, EA's Steam-style online service that gamers love to hate. No Origin, no Battlefield.

If you don't find that particular restriction too onerous to live with, then you can your very own free copy of the classic shooter than started it all from Battlefield.com.

Sounds reasonable.

Now if only we could get them to give Battlefield 2142 away...

EA giving something away for free!?
I know it's because it's an old game, but giving an old game away for free is nothing new (Bethesda has Arena and Daggerfall for free download on their website)

As much as I do like this idea I have to say that with Origin it has no chance of me downloading it.

Well, this is mildly interesting, I never really got into the Battlefield games

Andy Chalk:

the game requires Origin, EA's Steam-style online service that gamers love to hate. No Origin, no Battlefield.

Aaand it's gone.

I did not even have to read beyond the title to figure out there was a catch when EA is involved. Nice try though, plus points for effort.

I will just sit here with my Origin free physical copy that can be bought in most retail stores for less than the price of a hamburger and enjoy that - thank you very much.

EA: We are giving away something... FOR FREE! *Has heart attack*

DICE: WAIT! We are using it as a trick to get more people onto Origin.

EA: Oh thank god... you had me going there for a minute.

My thought process reading this.

"Oh, hey, the FPS I started my multiplayer FPS career on, oh lord the memories. So many good times and kills that should not have been possible." *Reads on* "EA, giving me something for free, like for reals free?" *Thinks* "Oh God it's been ten years? Wait, there has to be a catch."

Origin.

"Peace out."

OT with less theatrics: Origin is a deal breaker, nostalgia or not, free or not.

I wonder how long before they do the same with M.O.H.

Andy Chalk:

No Origin, no Battlefield.

Sorry you had a typo I think you ment to type "know Origin, NO Battlefield"

I for one like keeping my computer clean of spyware, and I could not justify installing some on purpose.... So I will just have to stick with my first copy of 1942 that was spyware clean.

I thought "Ohh sound interesting I'll get it no-....they want you to use origin. Well, fuck you very much.

Not only do you have to use origin but they're not giving away the expansions as well. That sucks.

A cool offer, I won't take them up on it as I still have the original and Secret Weapons of WW2 next to me to pop in and play whenever I fancy but still, free games never hurt.

Well, I have to say, it's nice to actually hear something pleasant from EA once in a-

Second, and probably far more relevant to some of you, is that the game requires Origin, EA's Steam-style online service that gamers love to hate. No Origin, no Battlefield.

...piss.

All right, I already have BF1942 (...somewhere...) so it doesn't really effect me one way or another. But still... for pity's sake. There were about a hundred ways they could have gone about this without poisoning the peace offering.

No Origin, no Battlefield, No thanks.

So... I forget, why does everyone hate origin exactly? I mean yeah, the interface isn't the best but that doesn't sound like it justifies all this hate. I haven't used it for a multiplayer game yet, so is that the problem, does it fuck with multiplayer?

OT:
Cool, guess I'll check it out, I remember one of my friends still plays it a lot so maybe I'll play a few games with him.

charge52:
So... I forget, why does everyone hate origin exactly? I mean yeah, the interface isn't the best but that doesn't sound like it justifies all this hate. I haven't used it for a multiplayer game yet, so is that the problem, does it fuck with multiplayer?

OT:
Cool, guess I'll check it out, I remember one of my friends still plays it a lot so maybe I'll play a few games with him.

Nope, it doesn't. Using Origin for BF3, BC2 and ME3 multilayer for about a year now and never had any problems. Even had a problem with my veteran status and the live chat cleared that up right quick, so no complaints here. I think the hate is coming from the whole TOS/EULA fiasco a while ago, the client itself is fine, even better then steam in some ways.

so how long before it changes to Pay 2 Win, like they did with Battlefield Heroes?

Soviet Heavy:
so how long before it changes to Pay 2 Win, like they did with Battlefield Heroes?

I dont think ever, since they aren't changing the business model of the game, it's going back to being a purchasable game in March, they're literally just giving the game away at this point.

And yah, im not seeing all the Origin hate, i think at this point EA has just built up a reputation of gaining hate on principle, which I can pretty easily get behind. But to be fair, Origin has been fairly simple to use and doesn't really get in the way, honestly.

Does this include the expansions, or the base game? Because if it's just the main game, I'll just dig out my old disks.

1942 is a fine game. The first game I ever played online. Think I'll re-install.

As for Origin, eh. It just doesn't have anything to offer me. Pretty much the only reason I don't use it. From what I saw when I tried it out, it wasn't that bad. Used it to get Dragon Age Awakening for free when they messed up that promotion. What's sweet about it is that I apparently don't need Origin running to play it, so that's awesome.

Welp. I considered breaking my vow to not touch Origin for this.

Then I remembered that I own a physical copy of the game.

I have the dumb today.

charge52:

I've run this lap about half a dozen times, now, so I'll just say, start here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/9359-Dear-Origin-You-Stink

then Google "problems with EA Origin" and read any of a dozen articles from the likes of Rock, Paper, Shotgun; Giant Bomb, Destructoid, et. al.

At best, Origin aids and abets the continuation and escalation of EA policies that treat customers somewhere between "commodity" and "enemy". At worst- well, read some of those links.

Haters gonna hate.

It's free, take it or leave it. Don't bitch about it.

I think that it's a US/Canada only thing (again). I had to use a VPN to get it.

The amount of Origin hate in this thread is frankly disgusting. As I'd be willing to bet most of those people use Steam, and hate Origin for no other reason than it's in vogue to do so.

"FREE GAME, BUT I HAVE TO USE DRM THAT ISN'T STEAM? LOLNOTHANKS."

Way to go community. Really plowing my faith in humanity into the dirt. Thanks.

Callate:

charge52:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/9359-Dear-Origin-You-Stink

then Google "problems with EA Origin" and read any of a dozen articles from the likes of Rock, Paper, Shotgun; Giant Bomb, Destructoid, et. al.

At best, Origin aids and abets the continuation and escalation of EA policies that treat customers somewhere between "commodity" and "enemy". At worst- well, read some of those links.

And you'll mostly come up with sensationalist bullcrap. Or out of date information. But it's easy to peddle hate and vitriol I guess.

Callate:

Considering that Shamus Young is a fanboy and experience points is quite possibly the worst thing I have ever read on the Escapist, you will need to try harder than that

OT: meh I have nothing against Origin but I really don't care for the older battlefield games. But I do think its worth noting that this is the fourth free game give away from EA I can think of off the top of my head When was the last time valve gave me free games?

Frostbite3789:
The amount of Origin hate in this thread is frankly disgusting. As I'd be willing to bet most of those people use Steam, and hate Origin for no other reason than it's in vogue to do so.

"FREE GAME, BUT I HAVE TO USE DRM THAT ISN'T STEAM? LOLNOTHANKS."

Way to go community. Really plowing my faith in humanity into the dirt. Thanks.

I know some Steam users who use(d) Origin as well (mainly due to ME3), and that includes me, and I've been called a Steam fanboy several times.
While I don't like having to use it, and would much prefer having everything on Steam, I try to give it a chance to make me like it.
I think most of the users who complain about Origin never even used it. Many people hate EA (for legitimate reasons) and the fact the Origin collects certain information about the user's computer doesn't help. I just leave it off and only use it when I need to.

I still have my disk of 1942 somewhere so i'll pass. The ORIGIN thing is definitely a turn off though...

Xan Krieger:
Not only do you have to use origin but they're not giving away the expansions as well. That sucks.

Who cares, the demo map "Wake Island" is the best map in 1942. I never bought the full product but played the demo for a good two years.

Victory for me. I have my old disk and the Road to Rome expansion. Somewhere. But I can never find the case and I really don't want to deal with keeping the disk on hand. Besides, I'm sure I would have to get Origin eventually for something. May as well get a free copy of a game I love while I'm at it.

Frostbite3789:
[And you'll mostly come up with sensationalist bullcrap. Or out of date information. But it's easy to peddle hate and vitriol I guess.

Easier still to dismiss it out of hand without addressing it.

Highly recommend downloading this if you want to try out the game. Cant play with people with physical discs, but EA has servers up. Actually really fun to come back to this game. You can always delete Origin if you ever want to get rid of the game so no big deal.

Sorry, not going to let that puss ridden rot of forceful marketing known as Origin on my computer.

I forget why people hate Origin but I shall join the bandwagon.

GRR Origin GRR!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or