Western Resident Evil 6 Reception Doesn't Worry Capcom

Western Resident Evil 6 Reception Doesn't Worry Capcom

Capcom says Resident Evil 6 has been successful "to some degree."

Capcom's financial statement for the financial quarter ending November 2012 is out, and Capcom has some reason to be pleased with itself. Net income is up and sales at all levels rose to new highs, but unflattering reviews for Resident Evil 6 prompted the question of what to do to strengthen the brand in the West.

Capcom responded by saying that, although it takes customer feedback into account, current evidence isn't sufficient to indicate a need for change; according to its report, Resident Evil 6 has been "successful to some degree."

Even so, Capcom's sales forecast for the survival horror - or perhaps action horror is the better description - title has been revised downward. 6 million units is now the new goal, a change from the 7 million sales Capcom hoped it would generate, and this switch is due to "a variety of factors and risks at this time," according to the report.

Capcom is hopeful that the 6 million figure will be reached. "We are confident because of the approaching overseas Christmas and New Year selling season," said the Capcom report, "past sales of titles in this series, and for other reasons."

The "other reasons" may have something to do with digital sales, which have hit 14.2 billion ($177 million), driven in part by sales of Resident Evil 6. According to Capcom's figures, 3.7 million units have sold so far, so the title is already more than halfway to its 6 million target with the Christmas season still to come.

Source: Capcom

People are pissed about the game and you still won't change?

If the game got mediocre to negative reviews, isn't it best to try and learn from the mistakes and make the next one better?

Well, that confidence is misplaced and I hope that they'll even be far away from the 6 million solde units.

In addition many people bought the game simply because they didn't expect this kind of gameplay and still somehow trusted Capcom to deliver a solid horror game. I don't think they'll make that mistake again especially with that attitude Capcom has....

TizzytheTormentor:

If the game got mediocre to negative reviews, isn't it best to try and learn from the mistakes and make the next one better?

Except what's the point of changing if no matter what, they get huge sales anyway?

The sun never sets on Japanese optimism.

Capcom needs to stop murdering their franchises like this. Mega Man is dead to a lot of people, RE is bleeding out in terms of creativity, dMc looks to be the only decent title that Capcom is going to put out for a while.

People are also getting sick of how they handle their 2D fighters. They have a whole bunch of franchises that they have ditched this generation. This company is faltering.

AzrealMaximillion:
Capcom needs to stop murdering their franchises like this. Mega Man is dead to a lot of people, RE is bleeding out in terms of creativity, dMc looks to be the only decent title that Capcom is going to put out for a while.

People are also getting sick of how they handle their 2D fighters. They have a whole bunch of franchises that they have ditched this generation. This company is faltering.

Pretty sure you can count Capcom among the "a lot of people" to whom Mega Man is dead. The new DMC doesn't look like anything to get excited about. RE has IMO already bled out regarding creativity. Which leaves what? 2D fighters? Yeah, as best as I can tell most of their fans of their assorting fighting properties haven't been super happy with how they've been treated as customers of late.

Personally, I couldn't care less about what they do with Resident Evil. The only RE I've played is 4 and apparently it's the best in the series so I haven't bothered with the other ones.

What is worrying however, is that this ruining of the franchises doesn't seem to stop with just Resident Evil. I'm worried that it'll end up spreading to a franchise they own that I enjoy, say Dead Rising for example.

I like the game very much. To me it actually feels a lot more like the old RE games then RE4 or 5, and I'm not convinced THAT is a good thing.

I honestly don't get all the Capcom hate these days. What exactly have they done wrong that no other company has? People just seem blind to the good things they do. There are several new IP's released (or soon to be released) that all vary from above-average to good. How many other companies have done the same thing this year?

Activision? EA? Nintendo or Sony?

What exactly is it that people want them to do?

AzrealMaximillion:

Actually, I feel Capcom is doing fine.

They have been ignoring some franchises more than others, but some of them are getting nice attention. They're currently work on Ace Attorney 5 (I just hope they're localizing it). Not only that, but they are (finally) bringing Monster Hunter to the PS3, something that fans have been demanding for a while. And even MORE, Dragon's Dogma wasn't part of a franchise and it was actually greatly refreshing. A Dragon's Dogma 2 has been announced as well, so they're even creating a NEW franchise.

As far as new games, Remember Me looks like P.N.03 and that was quite a bomb, but I'm not going to judge until I know more. In my opinion, P.N.03 was a failure due to the lack of character development and replay value, so if they work on those mistakes then it might not be so bad. And Ace Attorney 5 is being made! I hope that it's being localized.

Jove:

TizzytheTormentor:

Except what's the point of changing if no matter what, they get huge sales anyway?

Because people will eventually abandon the series and sales will wane. Final Fantasy 13 sold 6.5 million, a lot of people hated it and the sequel only sold 2 million copies and there are people who don't like that either, FF13-3 will probably only hit the 1.5 million mark or lower (although it might not)

Steve Waltz:
Ace Attorney 5 is being made! I hope that it's being localized.

It is, it will be released in Japan, North America and Europe!

It's not great but not awful. It's one of those things were it just shouldn't have been resident evil. I would suggest avoiding it if you don't have a friend to play with it's 100% co-op.

Nami nom noms:
I like the game very much. To me it actually feels a lot more like the old RE games then RE4 or 5, and I'm not convinced THAT is a good thing.

I honestly don't get all the Capcom hate these days. What exactly have they done wrong that no other company has? People just seem blind to the good things they do. There are several new IP's released (or soon to be released) that all vary from above-average to good. How many other companies have done the same thing this year?

Activision? EA? Nintendo or Sony?

What exactly is it that people want them to do?

So, just because all the OTHER companies are terrible means Capcom has a free pass to be terrible as well? What kind of twisted logic is that?!?
This is the first time I've been compelled to post something like this:

We are blind to the good that they do because there's so much bad attached to it. Blatant price gorging on both their worthwhile games and their crap, on disc DLC, Day 1 DLC, overcharging for said DLC, missing entirely what actually made their good francises GOOD, (this is the main complain with RE6) not making widely requested sequels to their francises, ignoring many of their most popular francises entirely... I could go on for a LOOOOOONG time. We're perfectly justified in calling Capcom and companies like it out on the fact that their screwing us and ruining our favorite francises.

What we want them to do is STOP doing these things, and complaining about it is basically all we can really do about it, so we pile on the hate.

Universally panned and they don't see the need for change. *thumbs up*

I really don't get them being hopeful about future sales based on past sales in the series. If you make a game that runs away from the past titles, why would this sell like those? For most people, they only get fooled once. If RE7 continued on from this "growth" they shouldn't expect the sales 6 has gotten so far.

Capcom are you stupid? Think this through. The game sold well because many people didn't KNOW it was gonna suck until after they bought it. The thing about sticking bad games in formerly good franchises is that while it may not have an immediate impact, it'll keep people cautious before paying for the next game in the series. If they don't like that one either, than the third time you've lost sales.

You can't ignore the long-term effects of your actions just because they're harmless in the short-term. Too many companies have lost too much money that way.

P.S. Thanks

I actually liked RE6, because they focused on making the gameplay smoother and dropped that 'horror' nonsense.
Yeah, spoiler: Resident Evil didn't 'stop' being horror because it was never horror. It's never been frightening. I'm glad Capcom have finally stopped trying and failing to make it scary when it never was to begin with.

Admittedly, the game is quite flawed, yes, but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than any of the 'classic' games with those accursed fixed camera angles.
The game's not bad, so I don't see why Capcom would worry.

Myndnix:
The game's not bad, so I don't see why Capcom would worry.

Considering how bad the reception was from both fans and critics mixed with the bad will they've built from the rampant destruction of a few beloved franchises are all contributing to people's desire to not give a shit anymore about Capcom. It seems like they've done everything they can to push away the very people that made them a success all these years, and it can only be a matter of time before it truly bites them in the ass.

I'm not a huge Capcom fanboy, but I can recognize how many people are pissed with Capcom and why.

Steve Waltz:

AzrealMaximillion:

They have been ignoring some franchises more than others, but some of them are getting nice attention. They're currently work on Ace Attorney 5 (I just hope they're localizing it). Not only that, but they are (finally) bringing Monster Hunter to the PS3, something that fans have been demanding for a while. And even MORE, Dragon's Dogma wasn't part of a franchise and it was actually greatly refreshing. A Dragon's Dogma 2 has been announced as well, so they're even creating a NEW franchise.

As far as new games, Remember Me looks like P.N.03 and that was quite a bomb, but I'm not going to judge until I know more. In my opinion, P.N.03 was a failure due to the lack of character development and replay value, so if they work on those mistakes then it might not be so bad. And Ace Attorney 5 is being made! I hope that it's being localized.

I don't know. The Monster Hunter game on the PS3 is just a port of MH Portable 3rd. That game came out last year on the Ps3 already and has not been localized outside Japan. MH 4 has been announced as a 3DS exclusive with no announcement of anything PS3. So I don't know where this mysterious new PS3 Monster Hunter game is coming from...

They are localizing Ace Attorney 5 so you'll be glad to hear that. There's also Azura's Wrath and Dragon's Dogma 2, but all in all Capcom's mainstay franchises have become majorly disappointing recently. From Street Fighter 4's epic milking to MvC 3's milking to RE5 and RE6 sucking back to back, the death of Mega Man, Lost Planet 2 being complete crap, the lack of a Breath of Fire game in years, Dead Rising being a disappointing franchise when you really look at it, and all of this garbage of on-disc paid DLC really is pissing people off. I can't say that Capcom is doing fine at all, they've lost a lot of respect from their customers.

They did recently re-release Gotcha Force in Japan, and that game was the shit, so hopefully they do something with that franchise.

fozzy360:
I'm not a huge Capcom fanboy, but I can recognize how many people are pissed with Capcom and why.

Oh, yeah. I mean in regards to this game specifically.
When it comes to their other franchises, yeah, I can see why they should be worried.

Only Capcom would think that shittier games will sell.

I was a huge fan of Capcom and things like this are pushing me to move it to my boycott list, along with EA, ActiBlizzard and Ubisoft. If they drop the ball with Dmc, they'll definitely be on that list.

basically
"SAY WHAT!? SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER ALL THIS MONEY"

although I haven't played it myself so I'm kinda talking out my ass

I know that after BioWare changed some stuff (to a degree) that everyone thinks bullying developers means you have some say in the product's future, but Canadians are pretty easy to push around - Japanese are another story entirely.

It's a shame they aren't taking customer reception into account, although I'm forced to wonder how Eastern consumers felt about the game. I personally liked Resident Evil 6, but I can see the need for change given how many people did not like it. It was a mediocre (read: not bad, not great) game that was successful in terms of sales, so I doubt anyone's going to see anything different in the future.

My beef with Capcom is Mega Man, an IP who's innocent fans are being punished simply because Capcom didn't take kindly to some things the franchise's creator said. I bought a 3DS just to play Mega Man Legends 3. =(

Sheo_Dagana:
I know that after BioWare changed some stuff (to a degree) that everyone thinks bullying developers means you have some say in the product's future, but Canadians are pretty easy to push around - Japanese are another story entirely.

It's a shame they aren't taking customer reception into account, although I'm forced to wonder how Eastern consumers felt about the game. I personally liked Resident Evil 6, but I can see the need for change given how many people did not like it. It was a mediocre (read: not bad, not great) game that was successful in terms of sales, so I doubt anyone's going to see anything different in the future.

My beef with Capcom is Mega Man, an IP who's innocent fans are being punished simply because Capcom didn't take kindly to some things the franchise's creator said. I bought a 3DS just to play Mega Man Legends 3. =(

FUCK YES. Thank you. There are actual megaman fans still alive, thank god. I did the same thing. I bought a 3DS just for legends 3. Im still happy as shit i get monster hunter on it later, but for fucks sake, the poor blue bomber is in a fucking orphanage so far :(

I wouldn't be too confident Capcom. A sizeable proportion of these sales will be from those who were curious with how the series had 'evolved', were subsequently disappointed and therefore will not be investing in future Resident Evil titles.

I have no interest in Resident Evil anymore myself. Not that I'm too bothered as there's a crap load of original survival horror titles coming out on PC next year. Indie developers are picking up the slack wonderfully.

AzrealMaximillion:

Steve Waltz:

AzrealMaximillion:

I don't know. The Monster Hunter game on the PS3 is just a port of MH Portable 3rd. That game came out last year on the Ps3 already and has not been localized outside Japan. MH 4 has been announced as a 3DS exclusive with no announcement of anything PS3. So I don't know where this mysterious new PS3 Monster Hunter game is coming from...

They are localizing Ace Attorney 5 so you'll be glad to hear that. There's also Azura's Wrath and Dragon's Dogma 2, but all in all Capcom's mainstay franchises have become majorly disappointing recently. From Street Fighter 4's epic milking to MvC 3's milking to RE5 and RE6 sucking back to back, the death of Mega Man, Lost Planet 2 being complete crap, the lack of a Breath of Fire game in years, Dead Rising being a disappointing franchise when you really look at it, and all of this garbage of on-disc paid DLC really is pissing people off. I can't say that Capcom is doing fine at all, they've lost a lot of respect from their customers.

They did recently re-release Gotcha Force in Japan, and that game was the shit, so hopefully they do something with that franchise.

Omg I forgot about Breath of Fire being a Capcom franchise as well...

Uhm, yeah Capcom is doing horribly with their well known franchises. I remember the Mega Man Zero series and the Battle Network series where a game - and a good one at that - was released each year for both of these series. Now they ended ZX Advent on a cliffhanger ending and there hasn't been a word of a sequel in years.
DMC looks like crap. From the redesign of Dante and the Rebellion to the choppy battle animations - it just looks horrible. The new Vergil trailer just made it worse. Completely breaking character. They could have really just started a new franchise with that game but chose to go with reboot cause the name still generates sales and attention - that is until they ruined the reputation of the series for good....

...like how they did with Resident Evil. The 5th game was disappointing already. The Gameplay was fine but the setting sucked. The whole Aztec thing going on was really out of place and it wasn't a small portion of the game. Also, the constant co-op thing did ruin the whole horror aspect of RE but I guess that is the price that comes with coop. I did have fun playing it with my friends but you do feel safe with a friend backing you up. I don't know if that is what you'd want with a survival horror game. Next thing you know you're gonna have a Silent Hill co-op game lol... but wait... isn't Capcom :P
RE6 was so bad that the 2 biggest RE fans I know lost faith in the series. They played every game of the series, read the books and all that. They were very hopeful about RE6 and I thought they were definitely going to buy the game... but nope. All the news on it made them skeptical, they were able to test it and were more than just disappointed. Makes you wonder how that will affect their expectations on a possible 7th installment.

Taking a look at Capcom's statement about the game just shows that they don't really care about any of that. They sold a certain amount of units and thus the game was "successful to a certain degree". Whether their customers are happy with the quality of the product? There is no mentioning about any of that. Capcom doesn't really care about their customers. Otherwise they wouldn't charge you for content that's already on the disc that you bought or deny you a game of a series that you like by not localizing a sequel to a series (Ace Attourney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 anyone?). They don't care about you and me.

I mean bash Square Enix all you want. They take the discussion about how to improve an important franchise to the open. Meaning they care about the feedback of their customers. Would like to say the same for Capcom.

Of course Capcom won't change, that would defeat their fool proof plan of appearing completely incompetent and horrible at making games now. Why is one of the previous great game companies doing this on purpose you might ask? You are not a game company, it would be beyond your understanding!

Although I prefer survival horror, I really enjoyed RE5... but even I didn't really like RE6. Many of the things that made RE5 enjoyable were either removed from its sequel or not enough to distract from the many things that weren't at all good in RE6. I suppose we'll see how the games progress, if the overall mediocre to negative reception persists with us Westerners... and if Capcom will eventually do something about it.

Capcom may be the greatest spin artists ever! If the whole gaming population told them they hated their games, they'd still find a way to spin that positively.

Vyress:

I mean bash Square Enix all you want. They take the discussion about how to improve an important franchise to the open. Meaning they care about the feedback of their customers. Would like to say the same for Capcom.

This is true. Sure, FFXIII sucked and it was mostly an experiment by them. FFXIII-2 kinda tried to fix some issues from the original. The third one might fix even more things from the past two. I can see why they can't just change the whole game; they're kinda stuck with it now, theming and all. But at least their excuse is that FFXIII is surprisingly loved in japan and western audiences are just not that into it. And they're trying to fix FFXIV still and they're also publishing Tomb Raider and Hitman, and both well and stuff. As much as Square worries me and drives me crazy, I have much more faith in them than in fucking Capcom. But I digress.

OT: I think Capcom has their priorities skewed. People want Megaman Legends 3/Megaman universe? NOPE! You get nothing! People love the original RE because of its survival horror? NOPE! You get an Uncharted-type of game instead! You want a DMC game? Ok, but here's a crappy excuse of a Dante. What's that? Why take the DMC name? Why not create a new franchise instead of trying to completely revamp the already existing and well loved franchise? Well, because money. You guys like Street Fighter? Here, let me release the same game every year but with a couple of things added just to fool people.

The worst part is that they ARE kind of right. RE6 will still sell because the holidays are coming up and a new generation of gamers might embrace the new direction RE is going. Sure, it's a pretty shortsighted goal. I mean, with so many fans disappointed not only with RE6 but with RE: ORC, less and less people will buy RE in the future. But for now...they might just sell their 6 mil copies.

(And yes, it WAS a horror game at some point. Maybe it wasn't as scary as Silent Hill or Fatal Frame but back when it came out, it was pretty scary. Sure, it was scary because of the camera angles and the random music playing whenever you were in danger. It's like when someone jumps out of nowhere and scares you. You're not scared of them; you just didn't see it coming. But nowadays, I can't even be pleasantly surprised by RE.)

Capcom not caring about fan response? Why is this news again?

I'm pretty sure if Albert Wesker existed and saw the shit capcom has done to teh series he would be pretty dissapointed.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here