THQ Stock Price Crashes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

rhizhim:

Treblaine:

DVS BSTrD:
Yes I have: Saints Row 3 was the Call of Duty- Black Ops of sandbox gaming.

Saints Row 3 delivered far more than the supposed king of city sandbox gaming; GTA4. GTA4 looked good, was reviewed highly and sold well yet in retrospect everyone hated.

It was an open world with far more enemy variety.

i kind of have to disagree with you.

saints row 2 was what gta4 should have been.
part silly fun, part serious.

saints row 3 was just silly fun. yes, the hidden mission was awesome but it lacked a serious tone and quickly became monotone.(johnny gats death was meaningless)

plus the upgrade that turns you into god was out of place.

Where is the great lauding for the poor facsimile of Boys in the Hood in San Andreas? It's not there because it doesn't exist. It was loved for things like zooming around in a jetpack shooting soldiers off a speeding train to steal some weird alien goo. It was loved for everything BUT the seriousness. GTA developers have strange pretentions of making great topical crime dramas.

It's not a like for like equivalent of San Andreas that was the promised successor, but continuing along the theme of what was appreciated. The humble origins of some downtrodden street thugs wasn't what was memorable and loved, we can see feature films that do a far better job. But is there driving around in fun vehicles doing weird missions.

The story was what you made of it. The character was to an even greater extent what you made of them.

How can you call Saints Row the Third monotonous with such enemy and vehicle variety, customisation and different types and ratings of difficulty?!? That's not a rhetorical question, the "and quickly became monotone" is a complete non-sequitur, it came out of nowhere, with no basis in fact.

Vacillating schizophrenically between fun tone and serious tone CANNOT WORK. It has never worked, one only drags down the other. You can't go from making witty remarks about shooting up zombies with Burt Reynolds to suddenly sad-trumpet-Niko-talks-about-his-former-life. That's not the cure to monotony. That's hack writing.

And Saints Row 3 didn't have a cast of harmless buffoons, there were resolute threats that were played deliberately over the top.

I think Titan Quest was pretty sweet and had a decent class system and unique environment. I'd hate to see them go under. With stocks low wouldn't this be a good time to invest? (or am I misunderstanding the situation?)

That is pretty crappy news, sad for the devs etc. And all down to stupid greedy a-holes who dont know anything about games pandering to a bunch of equally moronic shareholders thats are dreadfully uneducated in video games. THQ can eat sh!t Trying to be more like EA rushing and chopping up games for DLC milking. Or simply not giving studios enough time or staff, example,

Space Marine, while im a 40k fanboy id love to defend it but i cant, it really does feel lacking in somthing, scale? Combat does get boring after awhile, and the lag makes it unplayable at times. But felt like an uncompleted game which i had to complete by buying DLC.

Dawn of War 2. Is great and being an RTS vet from good old Total Annihilation days it was a good refreshing take on RTS with a kickass universe to be apart of. But things like, GFWL, crappy match making, lag coz they dont have servers P2P crap or what ever it is. And not enough staff to work on balance. The missions was above average but nothing great but still good. Retri kinda sucked. Otherwise a solid RTS but could have been better.

And then there is the 40k MMO...or wot ever it is now, So much promise there, but no THQ are morons,I could go on forever. I wish they would stay alive long enough for CoH2, SouthPark, Metro, DoW3. They are some titles that could make save them.

Just start a kick Starter to buy THQ lol or at least save Relic & Vigil ^.^

Slycne:

DVS BSTrD:
Well that didn't take long. They split on their investors, now their investors are splitting on them.

Tell that to Relic Entertainment, Vigil Games and Volition, who are all genuinely talented developers that will be affected by THQ's mismanagement.

OH NO! WE MIGHT LOSE SEQUELS TO DARKSIDERS AND SPACE MARINE?

WHATEVER SHALL WE DO?

Oh that's right, hold a goddamn parade.

I still kick myself for missing that topless cheerleader parade with the hundred foot chocolate teddie bear and the F=16s doing aerial acrobatics choreographed to the music of Queen.

Like one of THOSE parades.

And Saints Row 3 wasn't a patch on SR-2, it just stank of either a developer getting lazy/jumping the shark/being ironic.

I'm not (that) bitter, they got my $99 for Space Marine, I hope it serves them well.

ResonanceSD:

And Saints Row 3 wasn't a patch on SR-2, it just stank of either a developer getting lazy/jumping the shark/being ironic.

SO you've got faith in the series... you realise THQ going under screws any chance of a 4th Saints Row game when that could be moving back to what you want from Saints Row 2.

I just don't get people.

"Love them for Saints Row 2, but after Saints Row 3 i hate them and hope they die and destroy all chances of them ever doing it right"

And I've yet to hear serious criticism of SR3 that could possibly nullify all the new content and features. Just vague platitudes like "being ironic" whatever the hell that means, I think like Alanis Morissette they don't really know what Irony means and worse than not recognising it, mistakes other things for "irony".

Treblaine:

Let me put it another way. Compared to SR2, SR3 was a steaming shitpile.

Irony in this case being a publisher of a game where the central theme was a gang becoming too comfortable with success finds that it shouldn't rest on it's laurels and gets punished for it, suffers the exact same fate.

I thought them pushing games back would bite them in the ass. Damn shame, as a publisher they were more consumer friendly than the vast majority of their counterparts. Damn shame, loved their core games. I think it'll be a miracle if they make it. I will weep for one of the few good publishers out there.

ResonanceSD:

Treblaine:

Let me put it another way. Compared to SR2, SR3 was a steaming shitpile.

Irony in this case being a publisher of a game where the central theme was a gang becoming too comfortable with success finds that it shouldn't rest on it's laurels and gets punished for it, suffers the exact same fate.

That is a completely worthless criticism and you know it. It's not literally true of course, figuratively it makes no sense by comparison.

It says nothing.

That's also not irony in this case. Saints Row 2 was NOT a huge success to spite the critical praise, it was TOTALLY overshadowed by the mega-behemoth GTA4 with hyper-inflated metascore that now seems highly undeserved. Volition didn't rest on their Laurels, they packed SR3 game full of content and features and tried harder than anyone else. They tried harder than GTA4 with it's shitolla friends mechanic of bowling busywork and simplistic cover-based lock-on aiming against the same identical enemies. 98% on Metacritic. WTF.

I'm not surprised that this, the sum total of the criticism of great games like Saints Row The Third, is of such pitiful calibre.

You're the one trying to extract "irony" here, thinking everything Volition is going is to say "herp, we're idiots and we've been deliberately doing it wrong so you can notice and lol". And it isn't fucking irony. Could people PLEASE learn the definition of irony, that is there is an incongruity between the literal and the implied meaning.

Situational irony is when things go significantly different from the way they were expected by their intention. Example being an assassin firing at a VIP where the bullet misses yet bounces off a bulletproof screen (that was there to protect the VIP) hitting the VIP, so ironically the very thing that was there to protect him from bullets with it's hardness caused him to get hit. It's not ironic for an assassin to miss, it's ironic for a bulletproof shield to contribute to him getting hit.

Thematic similarity between industry machinations and a fictional plot is not irony nor is it likely intentional or even ACTUAL!

I mean how out of touch are you? Rockstar are HUGE! Most people who even follow videogames don't know Volition is the name of a game developer. Volition are nothing like "Rockstar" who really are full of themselves. Volition are down to earth and in touch with their users far more than Rockstar.

For the undedicated that are praising THQ as a great publisher, based on from what I can gather 3 or 4 titles from the last 2 years please go here

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/6374.html

Its a list of all the shit THQ ever published. The only game on that list I would actually consider good is Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.

Destroy all Humans was pretty fun in small doses as well.

Other than that there is literally nothing but licensed property shovelware/tie-in/cash grab/garbage.

If you were to take Metacritic to their library of mediocrity I'd be surprised if it averaged over 5 out of 10.

Your choice few beloved games will likely find harbor elsewhere, but this dog needs to be put down.

Welcome to consolidationville: Population, THQ
I wonder who among the other publishers are going to snatch up their properties?
All of the two or three major properties that wasn't licensed shit and shovelware,that is?

gigastar:
So THQ's fate will depend on the success of thier upcoming cluster of releases.

Though quite frankly, they probably deserved it for thinking that uDraw was a good idea.

Andy Shandy:
How did it actually end up getting this bad anyway?

But the thing that hit hardest by far was the uDraw, which is listed as a commercial failure in video gaming on Wikipedia.

Why did they put so much stock into uDraw? I could see the draw of that in I don't know, 1998, but unless it's a "full featured" tablet, people aren't going to care. That being said, it will be interesting to see how gamers take to the Wii U tablet controller.

flarty:

Besides i think DVS BSTrD is more than capable of defending his own comments from criticisms.

DVS doesn't need help defending himself. That's why I haven't been defending him against comments. However, when I see inane comments along the line of "that's just you opinion, man!" it merits comment.

major_chaos:

And Red Faction, and the good saints row games, and CoH among other things. When did you go from the funny pun guy to another hateful bile spewer that appears to fall into the "you made a game/s I subjectively didn't like so I hope you lose your job" crowd?

Unless some other company named Volition put out the recent Red Factions and the last Saints Row, that's kind of invalid. Also, people whose jobs are contingent on actual performance? How awful that people might lose jobs after putting out lousy products.

Zachary Amaranth:
Also, people whose jobs are contingent on actual performance? How awful that people might lose jobs after putting out lousy products.

The keyword in my post was SUBJECTIVE just because you personally didn't like SR3 or DSII doesn't mean they were shit games, in fact a lot of what comes out of THQ has gotten decent reception from both players and critics, certainly neither were bad enough for anyone but the most jaded cynical assholes to actively celebrate their creators unemployment.

major_chaos:
The keyword in my post was SUBJECTIVE

Yes, and that was ridiculous, so I moved to a more pertinent point. Arguing subjectivity in someone's likes is redundant. Pointing it out is even worse.

just because you personally didn't like SR3 or DSII doesn't mean they were shit games,

I liked Saints Row 3. I haven't played Darksiders 2. That doesn't change much. Hell, DVS could have LOVED one or both of those games....The point would remain.

However, note that you immediately jumped back to older titles. Shouldn't that be an indicator to you?

in fact a lot of what comes out of THQ has gotten decent reception from both players and critics,

Reception which hasn't translated into sales with the exception of Darksiders 2 and Red Faction. Let's face it, uDraw wasn't their only flop.

certainly neither were bad enough for anyone but the most jaded cynical assholes to actively celebrate their creators unemployment.

Has anyone actually celebrated it?

TimeLord:
So long as someone else scoops Relic out of this mess with the Dawn of War rights then everything will be fine to me!

I am not a fan of any of THQs other games but I want DoW to survive so much.

Oh and Red Facton. But only the very first game and at an absolute stretch the second. I loved the first Red Faction so much that I still play it, but they have gone so wildly off course with the current gen games that I have no interest any more in the series.

You know, the ONLY good side of this, might be that Activision could scoop Relic.

"BWAH, THOSE DEVILS AT ACTIVISION YOU SAY?!

Hold the pitchfork folks. Activision owns Sierra, who holds the IP for the Homeworld Series.

a Relic under Activision could net us a new Homeworld game

Slycne:

Tell that to Relic Entertainment, Vigil Games and Volition, who are all genuinely talented developers that will be affected by THQ's mismanagement.

Don't worry, EA will find them a new home.

FelixG:
[quote="TimeLord" post="7.393169.15882464"]
Hold the pitchfork folks. Activision owns Sierra, who holds the IP for the Homeworld Series.

a Relic under Activision could net us a new Homeworld game

They don't, they sold the IP to THQ.

Zachary Amaranth:

Yes, and that was ridiculous, so I moved to a more pertinent point. Arguing subjectivity in someone's likes is redundant. Pointing it out is even worse.

No its not, not when your reinforcing an opinion with a something subjective and stating it as fact. You just look like a douche, and even more so for continue to argue your point like everyone else is wrong and not entitled to their opinion that THQ actually published some good games.

For the most part it seems we just aren't going to see eye to eye on this so I don't see any point in continuing but in regards to this:

Zachary Amaranth:

Has anyone actually celebrated it?

ResonanceSD:

OH NO! WE MIGHT LOSE SEQUELS TO DARKSIDERS AND SPACE MARINE?

WHATEVER SHALL WE DO?

Oh that's right, hold a goddamn parade.

I still kick myself for missing that topless cheerleader parade with the hundred foot chocolate teddie bear and the F=16s doing aerial acrobatics choreographed to the music of Queen.

Like one of THOSE parades.

I'm not (that) bitter, they got my $99 for Space Marine, I hope it serves them well.

yea. and I think there were others, but I wasn't just referring to this thread, in general it seems like people can't see past their hate for certain games to realize that when a studio goes down lots of normal people are out of a job.

JarinArenos:
Trying not to feel schadenfreude over Volition after Saints Row 3 (i.e. replacing everything good about SR2 with purple dildos)... trying... trying...

Failed. I'm a bad person.

I do agree that SR2 was quite good.

They had the perfect mix of comedy and serious story.

Man I kinda want to play it now.

SR3 wasn't bad to me but it was...sad... I expected more.

KoudelkaMorgan:
For the undedicated that are praising THQ as a great publisher, based on from what I can gather 3 or 4 titles from the last 2 years please go here

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/6374.html

Its a list of all the shit THQ ever published. The only game on that list I would actually consider good is Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.

Destroy all Humans was pretty fun in small doses as well.

Other than that there is literally nothing but licensed property shovelware/tie-in/cash grab/garbage.

If you were to take Metacritic to their library of mediocrity I'd be surprised if it averaged over 5 out of 10.

Your choice few beloved games will likely find harbor elsewhere, but this dog needs to be put down.

The original DoW series gave me some serious gamer arrousal.

DoW2 could die in a fire a million times and it wouldn't be enough for my taste.

THQ has been an abusive relationship for me for many years.

Time to invest before they release the South Park game.
Then time to sell a month after they've finished releasing the South Park game

...I loved Red Faction Guerilla. D:

Seriously though, I would be sad to see THQ go, but that would be nothing compared to a buy-out. Please THQ, do the honourable thing if it comes to that.

Treblaine:

fi6eka:

You also forgot to mention "Saints Row the Turd".

That awful pun is as bad as your taste in games.

Be honest now, have you even played Saints Row the Third?

I have and I haven't played any other game like it, it is BRILLIANT! It's everything GTA was supposed to be but had spent too much time with its head up it's ass with heavy handed un-funny satire.

Also the Saints Row 3's PC version was wonderful, so good. Did everything right. Maybe that's why console gamers shat on it, no lock-on aim like in GTA4. Well it was refreshing on PC with mouse aim.

The game scaled wonderfully, constantly upping the ante and giving more and more abilities yet always raising the challenge. The customisation was everything I hoped for from character creation to vehicles. Making my own character and styling her as a badass militant revolutionary... I got attached to that game.

How about just respecting people having different tastes in games than you? Some people don't like the over the top ridiculousness of that game, pointlessly beating old women with giant purple dildo swords is not entertaining for everyone.
And regarding GTA4 that game has become serious, with Niko being an actually interesting character. Would you really want saints row and gta4 to be the same game. They are 2 different kinds of games with different kinds of experiences. Only similarity being the open world.

gentlemanghost:
Well, I WANTED to play "South Park - The Stick of Truth" and maybe even the new "Metro 2033" game, and I had hoped for "Saints Row 4," but THQ appears to be TH Through.

*puts on glasses*
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

But seriously, I hope this doesn't spell trouble for SR4.

Treblaine:
-snip-

"Oh noes, someone didn't like the game i like !!I should tell him he has bad taste."

Well, excuuuuse me princess, but when I payed 150 BGNs for it, I didn't know i was buying an expansion pack - because thats what SR3 was.It was short, the story was so overblown it felt like a Tarantino movie on steroids;the jokes wre retarded;the villians were practically interchangeble cardboard cut-outs; customization of both weapons and caharacters was an overhyped joke.Oh, and let's not forget Gangstas in SPAAAAAAAAACE mission[what the fuck happaned to Killbane,where did he go, why did it felt like I was missing a crucial part of the story]!
SR2 was a far superior game, that was wacky whitout being idiotic.

Ok, the pun was bad, I'll give you that one.

Come on THQ, don't tank buddy.

You're the only publisher I know of that would let Relic take lore-abiding freedoms with the Warhammer series.

Plus Saints Two and Three were amazing and if the Fourth is both combined it will be amazing.

YOU CAN LIVE. LIIIIIIIIVE.

Treblaine:
And I've yet to hear serious criticism of SR3 that could possibly nullify all the new content and features.

It's very buggy, for an example vehicles audibly have 200+ gears and as driving is such a core feature of the game it's pretty unacceptable. Now in a "serious" game these bugs would be rightfully called out causing consumer and critic opinion of the title to fall accordingly. SR3 knows it's buggy, knows it's inconsistent and lacks pacing, ugly and technologically lacking so forget with attempting to be even semi-serious and just go wild with zaniness as it will help mask all these problems. Back to those vehicle engine sounds, notice now how they're very quiet? Yeah.

It does all that very well. I really, really enjoyed SR3 (completed it within the last week in fact) but GTA IV quality it 'aint.

Slycne:

I'm pretty sure (or at least hoping) that some other producer will snatch them up pretty soon. I doubt many publishers will want the likes of Saint's Row to slip through their fingers, the one main competitor (or, accroding to Jim, the accompanier) to GTA.

Dear god, Please let this not affect the release of Company of Heroes 2 >.<

flarty:

Zachary Amaranth:

No its not, not when your reinforcing an opinion with a something subjective and stating it as fact. You just look like a douche, and even more so for continue to argue your point like everyone else is wrong and not entitled to their opinion that THQ actually published some good games.

Wait, I'm lost. Who are you strawmanning now: me or DVS?

major_chaos:
For the most part it seems we just aren't going to see eye to eye on this so I don't see any point in continuing but in regards to this:

So it had nothing to do with the person you were quoting prior. Gotcha.

AlwaysPractical:

I'm pretty sure (or at least hoping) that some other producer will snatch them up pretty soon. I doubt many publishers will want the likes of Saint's Row to slip through their fingers, the one main competitor (or, accroding to Jim, the accompanier) to GTA.

In fact, that's one of the dumber arguments since developers have been landing on their feet of late.

The only real question is, when these comp[anies are picked up, who will own the rights to the franchises?

Saints row is not the only series at stake here when it comes to volition. Did people forget they made freespace 2? And they really want to make freespace 3, but THQ doesn't see it as profitable. Maybe if they get snatched up by take two they could make freespace 3.

It's really sad, thanks to THQ we have S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro, the Dawn of War series and Darksiders were kinda OK too but I also know that THQ has published some exceptionally shit games even more games that should have never been publised at all (go look at the THQ publishing list on wiki, it's scary as hell), so they had it goming I think.

Fappy:
I'm beginning to think a buy-out will be the best case scenario for THQ at this point.

If they sink further into debt, they'll eventually have no option than to file for chapter 11, which will involve accountants and the selling of their studios, IP, real estate, and other assets to clear their debts and wind the business down.

I can't imagine Activision would be interested - THQ doesn't compete in what's left of Activision's slate. Perhaps Activision Value might be interested in a couple of their IP?

EA? Maybe, but unlikely.

Take Two makes the most sense. Even if all they wanted to do was kill off a GTA rival, they would have the opportunity to do so very cheaply indeed...

Well, they did Homefront, they deserve this.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 49190)