Microsoft: Please Take Money to Make Windows 8 Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft: Please Take Money to Make Windows 8 Games

The PC software conglomerate wants more independent developers to flock to its new OS.

Windows 8 is kind of a problem. The last operating system was a great update to the maligned Vista, but Microsoft desperately wants to compete with the touchscreen ease of Apple's flagship iOS. Windows 8 is optimized for such screen touching, but unfortunately it comes along with terribly restrictive certification process and ignores the fact that most Windows users don't give a damn about touching the screen. We like the PC platform because of the accuracy of the mouse and keyboard, damn it. Game developers from Notch to Valve's Gabe Newell have come out against Windows 8, but Microsoft is still trying to court smaller development outfits to make games on the platform. The carrot dangled in front of the independent game designer? Well, money, in the form of the Windows 8 "Power Up" Game Apps Competition which will award prizes to the best game designed on Windows 8 in the UK submitted between now and December 14th.

One first place winner will receive a free PR campaign, a trailer worth 4,000 pounds, a 500 gift card, some mentorship sessions and a free phone, while second place earns 250 Visa Gift card and the phone. "The prize structure has been developed around the strategy of supporting the indie game space in the UK and fostering a vibrant and successful industry by giving developers and their titles the best chance of success through profile and discoverability," said the announcement. Also, discoverability is totally a word.

What depresses me about Microsoft's plan for Windows 8 is that it seems to blindly chase its chief competitor's success. Apple products are great because they know what they are designed to do and do those things well. Microsoft still has an incredible market share, but the initiative to ape Apple with the touchscreen interface of Windows 8 and the certification of games creating a wall between developers and the customer alienates the exact people who prefer PC. The whole reason the PC is a great tool is because Windows has allowed a mostly open platform for any software maker or hardware manufacturer to use.

Take that away, and you might as well buy a Mac. *shudder*

Source: Microsoft

Wait if W8 allows for M+K support then why is it a problem if it has touchscreen optimisations?

And has MS been taking certification a little too far lately? We hear terrible things about Xbox Live already, i cant think of good things happening if they brought it to PC as a whole as well.

Been saying this for months. Sacrificing what brought many of your customers to you so you can become an inherently inferior version of your competitor is not going to help your business. At all

Oh, & as far as trying to emulate iOS: aren't they losing market share to Android these days anyway?

(Android, btw, is an open platform)

I'll keep my Win7 thanks... Shame they've got such a hard-on about locking out non-certified programs, sounds like an interesting platform otherwise.

Oh wow, yet another report that is aimed to try and shoot Windows 8 down.

Yeah, we get it some people don't like Windows 8.

Meanwhile some of us actually do and are getting really sick and tired of the attitudes of people who probably haven't even used it.

was I the only one who read the title as Microsoft want to take money to make Windows 8 games?

OT: that is a pretty distinct prize tiers they have there
1st prize: 4500 pounds in advertising, and gift cards
2nd prize: 250 pounds in gift cards
3rd prize: ... a hug

Windows 8 will go down in the fail windows os folders, joining windows 98 first edition, Windows melinium edition, and windows vista.

As much money as it costs to put a patch on an XBLA game?

Yeah count me among the "Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick with Windows 7" crowd. Windows 8 looks like it's going to be a hot mess. I prefer Windows for my PC (or at least did), Android for my phone (Galaxy S3 FTW), and have a new iPad for . . . . well if I'm being honest I have an iPad that serves as a really expensive bathroom book because about the only use it gets is when I read the news/comics on the crapper.

Bigsmith:

Meanwhile some of us actually do and are getting really sick and tired of the attitudes of people who probably haven't even used it.

actually I have used it, and I like the majority of the experience, up until the certification process that I am just waiting for to become a tyrannical choke chain on the OS, and will keep my Win7 until Microsoft apologizes in Win9, or SP1-2 when they remove the tyranny similar to what Apple imposes, or I will try my damnedest to learn Linux

Bigsmith:

I've been wondering what the benefits of upgrading would be, since my primary PC is a desktop. So, why do you like Windows 8? And no, I'm not being snarky. I'd like to know because I'd be willing to replace my Windows 7 Pro upgrade with a full system builder version of Windows 8 if it isn't going to break 2/3rds of my current stuff.

OT: MS enticing developers over to Windows 8? That sounds like a great PR campaign, actually. Although I suspect that much of the impetus behind it is that they are scared of all the negative press.

Wouldn't they be better of giving the 4k to the developers rather than making a flashy trailer?

Or perhaps this is a hint at why big games companies fail...bloated marketing budgets and overpaid PR departments.

I got sick of Apple's ridiculous certification system. I spent 3 days trying to upload a game to the iTunes store. It finally got through without errors, it like a major headache. We've moved on to Windows phones, which take 15 minutes to upload an XAP and images. Our next game was slated to be a Windows 8 release, but another (non-game) project sidelined that for a couple months.

Greg Tito:
Windows 8 is optimized for such screen touching, but unfortunately it comes along with terribly restrictive certification process and ignores the fact that most Windows don't give a damn about touch the screen.

Which is why you can make it look exactly like Win7, but make it function better than Win7, with a few mouseclicks. The "omg it uses tiles, what a fail" argument has been thrown around the forums already, and been shot down repeatedly by people actually using Win8.

Yaaay... 2nd place gets a Vista gift card... because that version was so beloved and adored by everyone.

Greg Tito:
[...]and ignores the fact that most Windows [users] don't give a damn about touch the screen.

seems like you missed something.

On-Topic:
I loathe how every fucking OS tries to be more like apple's.
I mean, it doesn't stop at windows 8, even ubuntu now has a sidebar with big fancy icons and shader effects on every window.
WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO MAKE/SELL A PC WITHOUT A SHINY INTERFACE MADE SOLELY AROUND THE CONCEPT OF ATTRACTING PEOPLE'S (shortlived) ATTENTION.

AAARGH /rage

well..."every OS wastes your time, from the desktop to the lap...~"

Who said Linux? Oh wait that was Gabe... Glad I already switched over to Ubuntu...

"most Windows don't give a damn about touch the screen."
"buy an Mac."

Is the editor okay? I'm just surprised those got in under the radar. First one's a bigun.

On topic. Not interested in Windows 8. At best, I'd be paying for a bunch of touch OS systems that I don't want and would immediately disable. At worst, it'll destabilize X, Y or Z, and I'll have broken something that didn't need fixing.

I don't see the point in this so-called upgrade at all.

I've been developing on Win OS since Win 3.11...

Windows 8 / App Store is the OS/2 Warp for this generation. A nice OS that does not have enough market share to win.

Candidus:
"most Windows don't give a damn about touch the screen."
"buy an Mac."

Is the editor okay? I'm just surprised those got in under the radar. First one's a bigun.

Whoops, sorry. Corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

And no, I'm not okay!

ResonanceSD:

Greg Tito:
Windows 8 is optimized for such screen touching, but unfortunately it comes along with terribly restrictive certification process and ignores the fact that most Windows don't give a damn about touch the screen.

Which is why you can make it look exactly like Win7, but make it function better than Win7, with a few mouseclicks. The "omg it uses tiles, what a fail" argument has been thrown around the forums already, and been shot down repeatedly by people actually using Win8.

I read that you can switch from the metro UI to a desktop, but I thought the metro UI replace the start menu. Without it, it doesn't look exactly like win 7.

Neonsilver:

ResonanceSD:

Greg Tito:

I read that you can switch from the metro UI to a desktop, but I thought the metro UI replace the start menu. Without it, it doesn't look exactly like win 7.

What exactly is the problem with that, anyway?

A) No one's forcing anyone else to buy it

B) The "debate" is no different to people shouting "OMG! Activision/Capcom/Eidos/Ubisoft/Peter Molyneux CHANGED THE WAY THEY MADE THEIR GAME IN A SEQUEL AND THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER.

Seriously. It's Windows. Download Rainmeter if it's bugging you, and get a shell change back to Win3.1 if you want. My computer looks like the Animus right now.

Krat Arona:
I'll keep my Win7 thanks... Shame they've got such a hard-on about locking out non-certified programs, sounds like an interesting platform otherwise.

Windows 8 doesn't lock out non certified programs. Metro programs, aka windows store, require certification. Considering a lot don't even use metro it don't matter. Your programs install on desktop like normal.

Nihlus2:
Yaaay... 2nd place gets a Visa gift card... because that version was so beloved and adored by everyone.

Fixed for you, and Vista wasn't that shit; it's just that the idiot OEMs decided to ship Vista on shit hardware, even when MS clearly stated the system requirements.

OT- Wait, Microsoft's begging? No thanks, MS, while I did buy your OS, it was only to get up to speed on my gaming. That's it. Offer me something that Mac/Linux doesn't do besides Office and games, then talk to me on how you guys are going to make me deal with that thing known as Metro. Fucking Unity doesn't bother me as much! Unity!

Bigsmith:

You don't need to use it to know that an OS designed with touch screen optimisation at the fore front of their concerns is a bad idea for an audience that prefers mouse and keyboard right now. Not only that but what used to be a relatively open platform is starting to get locked down and it's a good thing? Like it or don't, but don't shoot people down for their opinions.

\

frizzlebyte:

Bigsmith:

I've been wondering what the benefits of upgrading would be, since my primary PC is a desktop. So, why do you like Windows 8? And no, I'm not being snarky. I'd like to know because I'd be willing to replace my Windows 7 Pro upgrade with a full system builder version of Windows 8 if it isn't going to break 2/3rds of my current stuff.

OT: MS enticing developers over to Windows 8? That sounds like a great PR campaign, actually. Although I suspect that much of the impetus behind it is that they are scared of all the negative press.

I don't know about benefits to upgrading. However if you are worried about whether or not your programs work. Before you can purchase windows 8, the website scans your computer and tells you exactly which programs will work and which will not work. It also says what will need to be reinstalled or what has an update.

The only true benefit to upgrading that I have found is the new version of multitasking, as well as the Windows Store (which is the big complaint for most) because many of the websites and desktop programs I use have already become available on store, and the ones that are not directly available on the store have links to their website on the store so that you can download the desktop app.

If you upgrade from windows 7 it creates a windows.old folder that (supposedly) can be used to revert back if you decide you don't like windows 8

The idiocy of this is mind shattering. You can win stuff for developing games for the platform, nothing wrong with that. The idea that is completely broken is the one where it will cost a small indie developer stupid amounts of money to put and maintain a game on the platform (as it does on XBLA, the thing their "app store" is based off of). It is a perfectly viable idea, except for the fact that out of greed they are going to make the platform hard for any small developer to use and way too expensive for teams with no previous releases to provide funds for the new release.

This has nothing to do with Windows 8, people need to get perspective. This has everything to do with Micro$hit being poor businessmen who can only work in areas where people are willing to grease their palms, up until people don't. From a competitive standpoint, the PC as it stands, outside of the Windows 8 App Store is the king of indie development. There are so many platforms that you can release on for a lot less money money to start, or you can even release by yourself as many games do. M$ is essentially competing with itself in this arena, and losing.

A contest to see who can be the first people to pay M$ money, that is one for the ages.

I don't even like Win 7 but I had to bear with it, It already hid so much shit, without even mentioning the awfully blocked version that is starter and now they have this "touch" shit. The first moment I heard "App" I knew this would go wrong.

And now this "please develope for us" shit, indie developers get almost nothing in return when developing for the XBLA, and MS doesn't get why they don't develope for Win8. Go figure.

Developers have spoken and spoken loudly about not wanting to create games and software for Windows 8. This type of reaction confirms that. Maybe this will open some dialog between the two parties to work together for the consumer.

When I first saw the UI of Windows 8 I thought it was a joke.
Or at least something that would have been phased out in the design process.

Let us hope that for every Vista there is a Windows 7.

You know what windows 8 guys tired of people badmouthing it before they've tried it? I'm tired of people bashing vista. Vista worked flawlessly for me for 4 years, never had any problems with it.

So in support of the generations of OS that the mainstream consider "terrible", I'll get windows 8. You know what OS was bad? XP. Super ugly task bar.

OT:

Microsoft, you don't need indie developers. You have plenty of AAA's eating out of the palm of your hand. Here's an idea, buy THQ and then keep the developers making games for you. Bam.

Easton Dark:
You know what windows 8 guys tired of people badmouthing it before they've tried it? I'm tired of people bashing vista. Vista worked flawlessly for me for 4 years, never had any problems with it.

So in support of the generations of OS that the mainstream consider "terrible", I'll get windows 8. You know what OS was bad? XP. Super ugly task bar.

XP was actually equal in the amount of beginning issues that Vista had, all the bugs and whatnot. The real good OS back Windows 2000 Professional. So Windows 7 should be called the next Win2000 Pro not XP. I had no issues with Vista until recently, when it refused to boot, something I plan to fix by upgrading to Windows 8 Pro.

Well, I've been trying to make the decision between Windows 8 and 7 for some time since I'm still running a really old OS.

Between all of the stories of game devs saying they don't want to make games for 8 and all of the entirely valid criticisms levelled at it for interface and trying to lock down the system.....

Yeah, guess the decision wasn't really that hard, come to think about it.

CardinalPiggles:

Bigsmith:

You don't need to use it to know that an OS designed with touch screen optimisation at the fore front of their concerns is a bad idea for an audience that prefers mouse and keyboard right now. Not only that but what used to be a relatively open platform is starting to get locked down and it's a good thing? Like it or don't, but don't shoot people down for their opinions.

You wouldn't write a review on a game before you play it, so why bash an OS before you use is?

Question, have you used Windows 8?

I haven't noticed a single problem with using a mouse and keyboard; seems to me that Microsoft were telling the truth when they said it would still support keyboard and mouse gestures.

And locked down? Huh, I can install what I want, how I want, when I want. Don't see any restrictions here. Still using all the programs made by people who said they don't like it. (Steam: Gabe, Minecraft: Notch.. etc etc).

And before you bash me down for 'shooting people down for thier opinion'. My opinion is that I'm getting sick and tired of people who probably haven't used it moaning about how bad it is; plus these short news updates are hardly opinions, more like recycled news.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here